Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

infogiver wrote: »
    I don't see how the fact that every other private business chooses to close on Christmas Day (they are certainly not obliged by law to close on Christmas Day, indeed increasingly petrol stations and corner shops are open) has any bearing on the law regarding pubs closing on GF and CD.
    If you advocate for the pubs to be open by law on GF then you must advocate for them to be open on CD too.
    On reflection, Good Friday and Christmas Day are public service holidays only because they are religious holidays, Easter Monday too.
    So really if your antagonised and outraged over not being able to access pubs and other public services on Good Friday then you really need to be antagonised and outraged over Easter Monday St Patrick's Day and Easter Monday too.All religious holidays where the law says services are closed.
    Over to you EOTR.

only 1 business is singled out to be banned from trading by law on gf and christmas day. i believe that either the law should be removed and let the owners of those businesses decide if there is demand for their service like all other businesses, or the law should be extended to all businesses.
    if all businesses are banned from trading on a day, then as much as it maybe inconvenient, it is a fair situation as all are equal. equality and fairness are the issue here.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, you're putting two and two together and making 5.

I don't observe Christmas for the religion reasons but for the holiday. It's a holiday for the vast majority of people and I don't think publicans want to work that day either. It is also an excessive alcohol day for many too.

Good Friday is not the same as Christmas, it is not a family day or a big event. Familes don't get together on Good Friday. It's a normal day for many. Everything is open except pubs and that should change.

This is nonsense. Schools are closed on Good Friday in Ireland. The children are at home. It's a holiday for the public service. Everyone in the public service is at home. For the Banks and building societies, for the PO, it's a 4 day weekend. It's a paid holiday for AGS. For a lot of family run businesses it's a holiday. If your travelling on public transport it's a holiday. No GPs are open on Good Friday. No non urgent hospital appointments are available. The Courts of the land are closed. You wouldn't be able to access a solicitor or an accountant or any other professional.
    Of course it's a "family day".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is nonsense. Schools are closed on Good Friday in Ireland. The children are at home. It's a holiday for the public service. Everyone in the public service is at home. For the Banks and building societies, for the PO, it's a 4 day weekend. It's a paid holiday for AGS. For a lot of family run businesses it's a holiday. If your travelling on public transport it's a holiday. No GPs are open on Good Friday. No non urgent hospital appointments are available. The Courts of the land are closed. You wouldn't be able to access a solicitor or an accountant or any other professional.
    Of course it's a "family day".

I work for an Irish company and will be working. Lots of businesses are working.
    Only religious schools will be closed. Which is most of them.

Also, public transport runs as normal on the day so you're wrong there.
    All shops are open, as are garages, cinemas, coffee shops, fast food outlets etc.

It is not the same as Christmas no matter what way you try to paint it .

I really don't get what you're arguing about.

Perhaps you need a drink.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Your confusion continues because you are rooted in religion. CD is a public holiday. I accept a public holiday. GF is religious observance enforced on all the public. That is outdated.

Good Friday isn't a public holiday but continues to be a bank holiday in that there are no public services, or professional services on Good Friday.
    You keep mentioning religion. I've no idea why as I've never mentioned it once and it's completely irrelevant to my argument.
    You are clearly obsessed with it and you should see someone about that because it's not good for you.
    Back to the argument.
    CD and GF are both BHs CD is also a public holiday.
    On both days there are no public or professional services available.
    You have failed over and over to explain why you are keen to end GF as a bank holiday and a day on which drink is prohibited and move it to another, non religious day, but refuse to discuss CD. Why?

I work for an Irish company and will be working. Lots of businesses are working.
    Only religious schools will be closed. Which is most of them.

Also, public transport runs as normal on the day so you're wrong there.
    All shops are open, as are garages, cinemas, coffee shops, fast food outlets etc.

It is not the same as Christmas no matter what way you try to paint it .

I really don't get what you're arguing about.

Perhaps you need a drink.

All schools are closed. Colleges. Universities.
    It's a bank holiday for the public service.
    The entire public service has a 4 day weekend.
    The Courts are closed Drs surgeries are closed dentists, all professional services.
    You don't understand the difference between public holiday and bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Christy42 wrote: »
    I disagree. If businesses are forced to close Christmas day they should be allowed open again. It can remain a bank holiday requiring more pay or whatever.

However if they choose to close (as they will struggle to get staff/customers) then that is fine as they are choosing.

Workers should get days off every year. I see no reason for the government to decide which ones. They can suggest with bank holidays but that is a different matter.

So we are losing public and bank holidays now? All to facilitate drinkers on good Friday.

All schools are closed. Colleges. Universities.
    It's a bank holiday for the public service.
    The entire public service has a 4 day weekend.
    The Courts are closed Drs surgeries are closed dentists, all professional services.
    You don't understand the difference between public holiday and bank holiday.

You really need some facts to back up your argument. I also note how you completely ignore points that show you are wrong such as public transport.

Doctors and dentists are definitely open on Good Friday. I know as I have been to them on the day.

So what about public services. What has that got to do with pubs being open?

Also, just because I don't agree with you does not mean I do not understand the difference between bank and public holidays.

You are picking a few niche services to justify your argument and not making any sense what so ever.

So we are losing public and bank holidays now? All to facilitate drinkers on good Friday.

It's less to facilitate drinkers (who will have arrangements in place for GF for months in advance and who aren't actually bothered about the pub closed) and more about the religious obsessed atheists with little else to occupy them.

You really need some facts to back up your argument. I also note how you completely ignore points that show you are wrong such as public transport.

Doctors and dentists are definitely open on Good Friday. I know as I have been to them on the day.

So what about public services. What has that got to do with pubs being open?

Also, just because I don't agree with you does not mean I do not understand the difference between bank and public holidays.

You are picking a few niche services to justify your argument and not making any sense what so ever.

Well if you can point me to a GP that's open on GF I'll be glad to see it. I don't see how the schools being for 2 weeks as well as the entire public service is a niche service but I'm sure you can explain it.
    Just a sample

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Easter-Arrangements.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Good Friday isn't a public holiday but continues to be a bank holiday in that there are no public services, or professional services on Good Friday.
    You keep mentioning religion. I've no idea why as I've never mentioned it once and it's completely irrelevant to my argument.
    You are clearly obsessed with it and you should see someone about that because it's not good for you.
    Back to the argument.
    CD and GF are both BHs CD is also a public holiday.
    On both days there are no public or professional services available.
    You have failed over and over to explain why you are keen to end GF as a bank holiday and a day on which drink is prohibited and move it to another, non religious day, but refuse to discuss CD. Why?

So you have finally begun to face the fact. Well done it's progress. However you continue with your vicious characterization of people who have different views to your religious ones and now think that you can recommend that I seek help. You must realize se that you have absolutely no credibility left in this thread. You are desperately throwing insults around trying to derail the thread.

Please just admit that you want religious observance enforced by civil law and all your arguments are spurious smokescreens to advance your religious agenda. It is actually doing great damage to the religious agenda to see such abuse and abandonment of religious values of love your enemy for your approach. If we hadn't seen the utter hypocrisy of the Church over the last 25 years it might be a surprise but it's not.

Public space free from enforcement of religious observance through civil law. And that applies to all the religions.

• Advertisement

Well if you can point me to a GP that's open on GF I'll be glad to see it. I don't see how the schools being for 2 weeks as well as the entire public service is a niche service but I'm sure you can explain it.
    Just a sample

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Easter-Arrangements.aspx

There's one that a quick google finds

Another one.

As for schools, they take a whole easter break.

Either way it's nothing to do with the point of pubs being forced to close on Good Friday.

All the other ones you mention do so by choice whilst the majority of businesses are open on Good Friday and pubs should have that choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

What if I am? Do you have a problem with Catholicism?

Just wondering, I wanted to know were abouts in the bible Jesus advocates "nuking" countries.

I have no problem with people practising it no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Don't misrepresent whst I posted. I was very clear that public and bank holidays would remain as is and yet you claim I said something entirely different. If you can't argue against me then don't misrepresent me.

St Patrick's day is a bank holiday with its origins in religion.
    Maybe we should get rid of that too........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I am not Catholic, I don't believe I will go to hell for drinking alcohol on
    Good Friday. I know I am a minority in Ireland in this regard but why are my rights ignored on Good Friday and what if any steps could I take to get this overturned?

Note: its not about the alcohol, its about imposing religious dogma on non
    religious citizens.

Would you ever get a grip of yourself! Your rights being ignored!!!

I voted against practically everything that was proposed by the right, left, FF, FG and every other party and some propositions unfortunately got through but who really gives a s*** what you or I think???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why not ban alcohol sales on all bank holidays. Just to see what would happen. I don't like the goodfriday as some stupid link to an idiotic bishop years ago. Benefits should be assessed and then should none be seen, just stop it for all of them, including Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Arrange a March march on Leinster (and the other provinces) House. Allow it descend into a drunken squirmish with the guards and passing back benchers.

bubblypop wrote: »
    St Patrick's day is a bank holiday with its origins in religion.
    Maybe we should get rid of that too........

That's not the point. You're not banned from doing anything on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Strange how if you are a practising Catholic with the pubs closed on Christmas Day you can drink yourself into oblivion at home without the "abstinence conscience" coming into play,yet on Good Friday with the pubs closed the same doesn't apply.

That's not the point. You're not banned from doing anything on the day.

But everyone seems to have a problem with the fact that the licensing laws are based on religion, so why be ok with bank holidays based on religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I am not Catholic, I don't believe I will go to hell for drinking alcohol on
    Good Friday. I know I am a minority in Ireland in this regard but why are my rights ignored on Good Friday and what if any steps could I take to get this overturned?

Note: its not about the alcohol, its about imposing religious dogma on non
    religious citizens.

The intoxicating liquor act of 1927 which was last amended in 2008 is the reason why the pubs are closed on good Friday and Christmas Day and up to the early sixties so was paddys day. So let's stop this religion excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The intoxicating liquor act of 1927 which was last amended in 2008 is the reason why the pubs are closed on good Friday and Christmas Day and up to the early sixties so was paddys day. So let's stop this religion excuse.

Lol. Only someone devoid of any understanding of the confessional nature of the Irish state and its domination by the RCC or someone deliberately ignoring it could claim that. Let's spell it out: we all know the statute. The statute exists to give legal force in civil law to religious viewpoint of one sect. Those days are gone.

And the thread continues in circles. It really has all been said.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Just wondering did the Catholic Church have any influence over the Intoxicating Liquor Act back in 1927?

Maybe straying from the point a bit,but the abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday is another silly one.I can eat a full salmon,trout etc if I am able,yet I cannot touch a sausage or a wing of a chicken.Crazy.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    So you have finally begun to face the fact. Well done it's progress. However you continue with your vicious characterization of people who have different views to your religious ones and now think that you can recommend that I seek help. You must realize se that you have absolutely no credibility left in this thread. You are desperately throwing insults around trying to derail the thread.

Please just admit that you want religious observance enforced by civil law and all your arguments are spurious smokescreens to advance your religious agenda. It is actually doing great damage to the religious agenda to see such abuse and abandonment of religious values of love your enemy for your approach. If we hadn't seen the utter hypocrisy of the Church over the last 25 years it might be a surprise but it's not.

Public space free from enforcement of religious observance through civil law. And that applies to all the religions.

Your efforts at appearing condescending and patronising in the face of hard facts only further enhance the image you portray of someone who is either suffering from serious issues or drunk.
    You've persisted in bringing a religious aspect to the argument to the extent where you appear to be what we used to refer to as a "religious maniac". Are you a religious maniac fleawuss?
    I can only come to the conclusion that you simply don't have the intellectual capacity to grasp the concept of employment law that deals with annual leave and public holidays as you make no reference to the Organisation of Working Time Act which is the piece of legislation which applies in this case.
    You attempt, instead, to foam at the mouth about some religious nonsense in an effort to distract from your own limitations in which you are, incidentally, drowning.
    Admit that you have lost the argument. That you never had an argument and that you haven't really a bogging clue what your on about.

Maybe straying from the point a bit,but the abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday is another silly one.I can eat a full salmon,trout etc if I am able,yet I cannot touch a sausage or a wing of a chicken.Crazy.

Who has prevented you from eating a sausage or a chicken wing? Who where and when?

Just wondering did the Catholic Church have any influence over the Intoxicating Liquor Act back in 1927?

Probably. Possibly. But that was 90 years ago. Why don't you lobby your TD to have the law changed? We've SSM and a huge crowd are lobbying for abortion on demand. If it's very important to you you should have no bother getting a movement behind you.
    I'll sign your petition or whatever.

Just wondering, I wanted to know were abouts in the bible Jesus advocates "nuking" countries.

I have no problem with people practising it no.

But the Bible doesn't set the rules for Catholics.
    That's Canon Law.
    You've been told this many times but it just seems to "whooosh" right over your head.

Who has prevented you from eating a sausage or a chicken wing? Who where and when?

Maybe I could have phrased it better,but anyone who is a practising Catholic is "advised" "told to abstain" by the Catholic Church that on days of fast and abstinence meat is not to be eaten.

• Advertisement

Maybe I could have phrased it better,but anyone who is a practising Catholic is "advised" "told to abstain" by the Catholic Church that on days of fast and abstinence meat is not to be eaten.

Oh so you've never been told that you can't eat a sausage or a chicken wing.
    And it turns out that nobody else has been told either.
    It's advice that applies to people who want to be considered as Roman Catholics,
    So that's not the same thing at all really.
    There's a hell of a difference between feeling that it's against state laws to eat a sausage, and rules that apply to members of a club which they belong to on a voluntary basis.

Advertisement