Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

thee glitz wrote: »
    6:01 News habitually interviews dismayed tourists on GF.

I said nothing about Satan or satanic style parties.

Dismayed tourists? Did they get mugged or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

thee glitz wrote: »
    6:01 News habitually interviews dismayed tourists on GF.

I said nothing about Satan or satanic style parties.

If the tourist's are staying in a hotel, they can drink as much as they'd like there.

I worked in Pubs and hotels for years, there's people who would be in every Friday of the year and none of them complained about good Friday. One particular local would always come in for a meal with his wife early on Good Friday, only day of the year I ever seen her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i love good friday as it is.
    house parties galore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I'm happy with the ban on good Friday and Christmas day. It's no big deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As an out and out atheist, I think the ban is great. A few more fitted round the year would do no harm. When I was a student it was the day of the year for house parties. As a grown up, it literally makes no difference. I go into work as normal, I go home as normal. Its pretty much like any Friday that I choose not to go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

May i propose a compromise? Why not move the ban to the Thursday? That way the zealots could still feel like they're excersising control over the country while the non believers won't be as inconvenienced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

......... wrote: »

So, Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

I think an alcohol free day is a good thing, but I don't think banning the sale of alcohol on good Friday is a good thing. People are free to go alcohol free that day if they want, just like the people who won't eat meat that day.

The amount of liquor sold the day before and house parties would tell you it's not achieving any altruistic objective and affecting tourism trade negatively.

You have the freedom to have an 'alcohol free day' every day of the year. You don't need the government to ban everyone whether they like it or not on a religious day of their choosing. Me being able to buy alcohol is not affecting anyone going 'alcohol free' that day if they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It is one day a year. If someone can't manage without alcohol for one day a year then they have an alcohol dependency and should seek help.

I don't drink 13 days out of 14. On a good Friday, that's 27 days out of 28. Where the hell is the dependency?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Good Friday wouldn't be half as much fun for many people if alcohol was sold. The amount of stockpiling and parties that go on would probably be missed if a relaxing of the ban did come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I spent more time reading OP's user handle than the the OP itself.
    I need a drink.

It's the theory of knowledge, epistomology, backwards.
    Yeah. That about says it.

I'd suggest the OP move to Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

exaisle wrote: »
    I spent more time reading OP's user handle than the the OP itself.
    I need a drink.

It's the theory of knowledge, epistomology, backwards.
    Yeah. That about says it.

I'd suggest the OP move to Iceland.

Iceland ? Marks and Spencer is nicer for grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

In a few years time the idiocy of this ban will be looked back on with wonder: it will fall under the Craggy Island category of how did we ever tolerate let alone legislate such mad regulation.

The law actually names Good Friday. A day that moves every year with calculations of the moon. A day that is a Christian special day. It is bizarre and it has had its day. The only defense left for the hard core religious fanatics is that it is an anti alcohol abuse measure. A death grip on the status quo and a smokescreen for their forcing people to adhere to their bonkers ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

I think it's good to have a day where people are angered because they can't buy drink. It MAY get them to reflect on how sad it is that they are angered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I think it's good to have a day where people are angered because they can't buy drink. It MAY get them to reflect on how sad it is that they are angered.

This is really intellectually dishonest.

How trivial it is to be able to drink on Good Friday proves what nonsense this is.

What angers people is government overreach.
    It's absolutely none of the state's business as to whether someone can do anything they usually can on any arbitrarily chosen day.

Is there a compelling reason for alcohol to be banned on any given day? No.
    That's it. That's the only argument required for repealing it.

"Do you really need booze on Good Friday?", "It's just one day" and all that is begging the question. It presupposes that there was ever a valid reason for the ban in the first place and you now have to justify your supposed alcoholism.

They're not an argument. They're an evasion of the actual problem people have with it.

Grand. Let's move it to the third Tuesday of January. Problem solved. You get to satisfy your self confessed delight at people being angered and your self confessed belief that having been angered they will reflect on your belief that they are sad and the added bonus of seeing the religious loons angered at losing another of their precious little controls on Irish life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Gbear wrote: »
    This is really intellectually dishonest.

How trivial it is to be able to drink on Good Friday proves what nonsense this is.

What angers people is government overreach.
    It's absolutely none of the state's business as to whether someone can do anything they usually can on any arbitrarily chosen day.

Is there a compelling reason for alcohol to be banned on any given day? No.
    That's it. That's the only argument required for repealing it.

"Do you really need booze on Good Friday?", "It's just one day" and all that is begging the question. It presupposes that there was ever a valid reason for the ban in the first place and you now have to justify your supposed alcoholism.

They're not an argument. They're an evasion of the actual problem people have with it.

From an employment rights point of view it's a paid day off for bar staff. How do you deal with that element?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

god this old chestnut *sigh*. haven't people heard of purchasing alcohol beforehand - in a shop/off licence if drinking means that much to them.
    it's a catholic/christian country. if the state/church wish for pubs to be closed on good friday, as on christmas day, then so be it.
    those getting themselves into a know over it need to cop on.

publicians will never convince me that the amount spewnt on good friday will be the difference between them staying in business or not.

we're supposed to respect traditions/laws in other countries and to accept or at least attempt to understand them so why can't this law here be accepted also.
    it's one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Grand. Let's move it to the third Tuesday of January. Problem solved.

Most people who think it's a good idea to have one day healthy break from of alcohol sales, and one day with less alcohol related problems for the emergency services, families and cleaner streets, don't give a rats arse what day it happens to be on, so it can be moved to any suitable holiday weekend day.

. . . thing is what are haters such as yourself you going to whinge about then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I don't drink 13 days out of 14. On a good Friday, that's 27 days out of 28. Where the hell is the dependency?

there is none, of course. the "if you can't manage a day without alcohol" dip****tery keeps being thrown out because the people throwing it out don't have an argument in support of the bann or why it should remain. so it's easier for them to make out anyone drinking on good friday or who are against the bann, are so because they are alcoholics. it's pathetic quite frankly.

it won't. the only thing to reflect on here is that we are losing out on much needed revenue, and businesses aren't allowed to trade because "reasons" . not only that, but if those businesses do open chances are the penalties for doing so are high if caught, which no doubt they would be as gardai are expected to waste what little resources they have on the issue. so, what exactly is the point of it remaining? none really.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Most people who think it's a good idea to have a day free of alcohol sales don't give a rats arse what day it happens to be on, so it can be moved to anyday

. . . thing is what are haters such as yourself you going to whinge about then ?

Third Tuesday of January so. Win win and win. Unless of course "god" loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

infogiver wrote: »

From an employment rights point of view it's a paid day off for bar staff. How do you deal with that element?

In what sense? Bar staff aren't the only ones selling booze.

If you really wanted to you could have "Bar staff appreciation day" to give them the day off without prohibiting alcohol, but I don't see why giving bar staff a day off is relevant.

Are there assorted paid holidays other professions are entitled to on arbitrary days at the expense of the rights of the public?

god this old chestnut *sigh*. haven't people heard of purchasing alcohol beforehand - in a shop/off licence if drinking means that much to them.
    it's a catholic/christian country. if the state/church wish for pubs to be closed on good friday, as on christmas day, then so be it.
    those getting themselves into a know over it need to cop on.

publicians will never convince me that the amount spewnt on good friday will be the difference between them staying in business or not.

we're supposed to respect traditions/laws in other countries and to accept or at least attempt to understand them so why can't this law here be accepted also.
    it's one day.

ireland is not a catholic country. putting catholic down on a form doesn't make you catholic. the vast vast majority of people are only catholic when it suits them. what the church wants is irrelevant. those getting themselves into a know over dictation from an irrelevant body on the basis of nothing do not need to cop on. publicans don't have to convince you of anything. i wouldn't be the most sympathetic toards publicans myself so it really isn't about them but the principal of selected businesses being unable to trade on the basis of nothing. it's one day means jot. laws have to earn respect and they also have to mitagate against something. this law doesn't mitagate against something and it doesn't deserve respect and it won't be respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Third Tuesday of January so. Win win and win. Unless of course "god" loses.

ah yes whining about god you allegedly don't believe in, but spending an inordinate amount of time whining about, so as we thought, nothing to do with day free of alcohol sales or good Friday at all then.

what happens if the third Tuesday of January happens to be a saints day, how will you stop yourself having a hate heart attack then ?

ah yes whining about god you allegedly don't believe in, but spending an inordinate amount of time whining about, so as we thought, nothing to do with day free of alcohol sales or good Friday at all then.

what happens if the third Tuesday of January happens to be a saints day, how will you stop yourself having a hate heart attack then ?

"Whining", "allegedly", "inordinate", "we", "hate heart attack". Distorted view of the thread.

It's irrelevant if the day is of some other religious significance because it will be chosen at random and declared alcohol free day for public health reasons with a clear rationale not based on the religious practice. How could you possibly object? Unless of course "your god" loses. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

While the law is silly and outdated, it is irrelevant to my life. One can always buy enough alcohol the days beforehand and there is rarely anything on in the pubs near me Fridays anyway. Saturday is the main night in pubs and Friday can be one of the deadest. So, if the pub was open on a Good Friday, I most likely would not be going.

Religious intolerance of alcohol is a whole other issue. Certain hardliners in Christianity and Islam will try and convince you that those 2 religions ban the drinking of alcohol which is 100% a lie and an exaggeration of advice in the holy books that do NOT ban consumption of alcohol but of drunkenness and disorderliness caused by it. You'll find all religions allow one to drink but not to hurt others because of it.

As for why the GF ban still exists, I'd say the vintners association. It is a day off for the publicans pure and simple. Especially when it is a quiet night of the week in many pubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

When I read the thread title I thought the 2000's pop band Steps was pushing the Free state government to get rid of the Good Friday ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

When I read the thread title I thought the 2000's pop band Steps was pushing the Free state government to get rid of the Good Friday ban.

Yes that's correct. It's all just a publicity stunt to promote their comeback

learn_more wrote: »
    Yes that's correct. It's all just a publicity stunt to promote their comeback

let's hope there never is a come back for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I for one would totally oppose repealing the good Friday ban. It would totally ruin oje of the most fun days of the year - the annual, epic session on good Friday is one of the only ways as an adult to recapture the teenage feeling of "hehehe, we're getting locked when we shouldn't" :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Gbear wrote: »
    In what sense? Bar staff aren't the only ones selling booze.

If you really wanted to you could have "Bar staff appreciation day" to give them the day off without prohibiting alcohol, but I don't see why giving bar staff a day off is relevant.

Are there assorted paid holidays other professions are entitled to on arbitrary days at the expense of the rights of the public?

Bar staff have to be available to work 363 days of the year. They get there 20 days holidays and PH like everyone else. One of the AL days happens to be fixed as GF, the other is CD. In an industry where mon to fri doesn't exist this allows them to plan off duty time with no quibble at least twice a year.
    I would like you to point out to me where your "rights" as a person include a "right" to go into a pub and be served drink by another person.
    What industry do you work in? Is your place of employment open to the public 363 days a year? Is part of your employment contract that you have to be available 363 days? If not then why not? Surely it's my right as a member of the public that I be able to access whatever business you are in for at least 363 days?
    If you want to take GF off them

Advertisement