Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Where did I say it would be a bad thing? Exactly?

That's the question you are running from. Answer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

That's the question you are running from. Answer it.

So clarify, if you don't think an alcohol free day is a bad thing what are you whining about ?

......... wrote: »
    So clarify, if you don't think an alcohol free day is a bad thing what are you whining about ?

You didn't answer my question. You evaded it because you can't admit you were wrong.

Why are you trying to characterize anything as "whining". That's just another evasion of the fact that the basis of the ban is religious. It's intellectually disnonest and cowardly.

You didn't answer my question. You evaded it because you can't admit you were wrong.

Why are you trying to characterize anything as "whining". That's just another evasion of the fact that the basis of the ban is religious. It's intellectually disnonest and cowardly.

Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing, because it's not clear. Simple question for you to answer if you are Intellectually honest and not a coward.

Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing, because it's not clear. Simple question for you to answer if you are Intellectually honest and not a coward.

Why are you evading my question. You can't point out where I said it was a bad thing so you just try to brush it aside. Not happening. Admit you were wrong and Ill take you slowly to the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

You don't like people who want a secular state free from all the mumbo jumbo of so called self proclaimed revealed religions. Fair enough. But at least try to have some sort of cogent defense of theocracy and why the state should enforce religious rules other than trying to personalize attacks on posters. It shows you up badly.

Sorry to hear Switzerland is so backward. But then given its reputation for ethics free banking it might need the cover given by such hypocritical posturing as you describe.

Lol fleawuss you really have a bee in your bonnet! If the people didn't want the ban to continue then the law would be changed just like if they didn't want the schools to be Catholic they would make their feelings known to their TDs and they would march in the streets as they did about the water charges. And women's rights. And abortion,
    I'm afraid you'll have to accept that the vast majority don't give a damn about the pubs closing on good Friday and the schools being run to a Catholic ethos.
    It's just not important to people one way or the other, mostly because people have real things to worry about like bad health or financial woes, kids, jobs,housing, bills, elderly parents etc.
    That's just the way it goes.

Why are you evading my question. You can't point out where I said it was a bad thing so you just try to brush it aside. Not happening. Admit you were wrong and Ill take you slowly to the next step.

Then you should have no problem being clear, because it's not - Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ? Simple question for you to answer if you are Intellectually honest and not a coward.

infogiver wrote: »
    Lol fleawuss you really have a bee in your bonnet! If the people didn't want the ban to continue then the law would be changed just like if they didn't want the schools to be Catholic they would make their feelings known to their TDs and they would march in the streets as they did about the water charges. And women's rights. And abortion,
    I'm afraid you'll have to accept that the vast majority don't give a damn about the pubs closing on good Friday and the schools being run to a Catholic ethos.
    It's just not important to people one way or the other, mostly because people have real things to worry about like bad health or financial woes, kids, jobs,housing, bills, elderly parents etc.
    That's just the way it goes.

Lol. The last refuge of the remnants of a discredited morally bankrupt utterly inept church. The status quo. The ban is a relic. Like the child abusing church in charge of education. Hide behind the status quo for now. You know what is coming.

Then you should have no problem being clear, because it's not - Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ? Simple question for you to answer if you are Intellectually honest and not a coward.

More evasion. More dishonesty. It was clear to you when You made an accusation for which I demanded evidence. Just admit you were wrong. It's the Christian thing to do.

More evasion. More dishonesty. It was clear to you when You made an accusation for which I demanded evidence. Just admit you were wrong. It's the Christian thing to do.

Answer the simple question then to clear it up what your position actually is - Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Advertisement

Answer the simple question then to clear it up what your position actually is - Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

You first. Admit you were wrong. Then I'll take you slowly to the next step.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I thought this thread was going to be about the old band Steps getting the ban overturned

You first. Admit you were wrong. Then I'll take you slowly to the next step.

Wrong about what, I asked you a question, what would be bad about an alcohol free day ? - que rant.

So I then asked you instead what Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

The same two questions still apply.

Also, are you drunk ?

Where did I say it would be a bad thing? Exactly?

Here it is again for you. And reams of intellectually dishonest evasion and cowardice from you.

Answer it.
    Then we take you to try to recognize your weak ad hominems with trying to characterize the exposure of the ban as religious as whining.

Avoid sin! Repent!

Here it is again for you. And reams of intellectually dishonest evasion and cowardice from you.

Answer it.
    Then we take you to try to recognize your weak ad hominems with trying to characterize the exposure of the ban as religious as whining.

Avoid sin! Repent!

And are you Drunk at the moment ?

I don't know if you claim it to be a good thing or a bad thing.

So, Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I just feel sorry for the poor tourists is all.

I don't know if you claim it to be a good thing or a bad thing.

So, Do you think an alcohol free day is a good thing or a bad thing ?

And are you Drunk at the moment ?

But you did already hence my demand for evidence and hence your constant evasion. You can't stand not setting the direction of this can you. It really gets under your skin. You should repent.

If you had been paying any respect to what other people wrote you would have read my answer ages ago.

More ad hominem. Why are you so hateful. Jesus taught you to love your enemies. Even those who expose how ridiculous your arguments and posturing is. Maybe you're a follower of one of the many other "revealed" gods with all their rules about clothes and animals. It's hard to tell them apart sometimes there are so many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Lol. The last refuge of the remnants of a discredited morally bankrupt utterly inept church. The status quo. The ban is a relic. Like the child abusing church in charge of education. Hide behind the status quo for now. You know what is coming.

You mean "tick tock " don't you?
    Nothings coming Fleawuss.
    This month next month and May the RCC buildings will all be full of families taking the sacraments.
    Dressed to kill and shaking hands with the Archbishop before getting a picture taken with the PP.
    Thousands of them.
    Then in September thousands of parents will produce a baptismal certificate at a principals office in the hope of getting their child into that school.
    Do you know why?
    Because that's what the people want.
    If they didn't want it it wouldn't happen.
    Simple as.
    Rant and rail and rave away about it if you like but as I said already real people have more to bother them then worrying about why the pub is closed on Good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Why are the 90's pop group getting involved???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Saoirse1981

Get whatever drink you want the day before. Leave God's Friday alone.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »
    You mean "tick tock " don't you?
    Nothings coming Fleawuss.
    This month next month and May the RCC buildings will all be full of families taking the sacraments.
    Dressed to kill and shaking hands with the Archbishop before getting a picture taken with the PP.
    Thousands of them.
    Then in September thousands of parents will produce a baptismal certificate at a principals office in the hope of getting their child into that school.
    Do you know why?
    Because that's what the people want.
    If they didn't want it it wouldn't happen.
    Simple as.
    Rant and rail and rave away about it if you like but as I said already real people have more to bother them then worrying about why the pub is closed on Good Friday.

LOL. Behold the days are coming. Hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

'Alcohol bad overturned'

I suspect the OP would have difficulty organising a piss up in a brewery any other day of the year. The 'bad' is safe for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

The ban is about imposing religious dogma, it does't matter if its one day
    or 100 days, if you are religious then don't drink but you have no right to stop others.

Forcing you religious view on people is not ok!

Christmas day should apply too.

Please define "religious dogma"? Thank you.

I don't really drink much. It doesnt bother me at all that you cant purchase alcohol on that day. I like it, i think its a good 'Irish' thing. Like the angelus (even though i believe thats gone now, and im not at all religious either). I don't see why the rush to turn us into "Generic Euro Country #12".

I like the little 'irish' things that appear.

That said, even as a non-drinker, i think the restricted sale times for alcohol are a bit stupid and only hit the innocent people and not the people with alcohol issues (ie; the joe soap that fancies a drink but works shift work so cant juts pop in and buy it on the way home, etc).

The Angelus most certainly is still here and thriving. Thankfully.

Personally its not great for tourism either, and does seem very strange to visitors who come here. Also if you really wanted to have a drink ya can always give 3 taps on the side window & your in.:D

Nonsense. It is all a part of the charm of the auld sod. Some do complain on travel forums but then they are the ones who always complain anyways :rolleyes:

Wonder how they would fare in eg UAE.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    If you are over 66 years old you can go on the train to Cork for free with your Free pass and get a beer in the bar on there.

Sheer desperate ingenuity! :rolleyes: Where there is a will... :p

thee glitz wrote: »
    It kinda is though, in that it moves with a church day of obligation.

Well, in that case, add Sundays and the many, many other Holy Days of Obligation.

No it's less that a holy day of obligation. And fasting and abstance is voluntary and applies to practicing Catholics. No one is forcing practicing Catholic to, they are supposed to want to for their own benefit. Also fasting refers to the reduction of one's intake of food, while abstinence refers to the suggested refraining from meat. A Catholic is not specifically required to abstain from alcohol on Good Friday, but they may well choose to do so. Also any penance can be substituted for another, it doesn't specifically have to be meat and/or alcohol they refrain from any more.

Well expressed. Thank you. Non drinkers and non meat eaters make other penances and fasts. As do those barred from fasting by health considerations .

Then you'll have no problem quoting the CCC number which says they may not take any alcohol on good Friday. Let's see if you're telling the truth.

All that our Catechism says re alcohol is this.

Fasting
    The law of fasting requires a Catholic from the 18th Birthday (Canon 97) to the 59th Birthday (i.e. the beginning of the 60th year, a year which will be completed on the 60th birthday) to reduce the amount of food eaten from normal. The Church defines this as one meal a day, and two smaller meals which if added together would not exceed the main meal in quantity. Such fasting is obligatory on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The fast is broken by eating between meals and by drinks which could be considered food (milk shakes, but not milk). Alcoholic beverages do not break the fast; however, they seem to be contrary to the spirit of doing penance.

So no there is no ban on alcohol on Good Friday. Period.

A longer explanation

http://www.catholic.org/lent/abfast.php

Also there is no such thing in our Catholic Church as a "Black Fast." That is an Orthodox tradition .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

What tourists want pubs in particular open on good friday, or even care ?, can you produce any ? and do we really care if your friends have satanic style parties ?

6:01 News habitually interviews dismayed tourists on GF.

I said nothing about Satan or satanic style parties.

Advertisement