Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

infogiver wrote: »
    Good Friday isn't a public holiday but continues to be a bank holiday in that there are no public services, or professional services on Good Friday.
    You keep mentioning religion. I've no idea why as I've never mentioned it once and it's completely irrelevant to my argument.
    You are clearly obsessed with it and you should see someone about that because it's not good for you.
    Back to the argument.
    CD and GF are both BHs CD is also a public holiday.
    On both days there are no public or professional services available.
    You have failed over and over to explain why you are keen to end GF as a bank holiday and a day on which drink is prohibited and move it to another, non religious day, but refuse to discuss CD. Why?

It's becuase someone like you is suggesting take it or leave it over one holiday or the other. Frankly it should be done away with on both. Let the market decide if it's worth their while to be open on either day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There's a hell of a difference between feeling that it's against state laws to eat a sausage, and rules that apply to members of a club which they belong to on a voluntary basis.

It's this the whole point of the thread?

That, unlike eating meat, buying alcohol on Good Friday is not something that only applies to members of a club which they belong to on a voluntary basis, but is in fact, against state laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly didn't read all of this thread but I think to get certain aspects of religion out of Ireland.They'll need a few new people on their side. IE get rid of Colm O'Gorman. He just rubs people up the wrong way.

So it seems nobody has a problem with bank holidays originating from religious holidays, but they have a problem with licensing laws originating from the same religious holidays?

Double standards anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

The whole thing irritates me, no drink sold on Good Friday, very archaic but I can just stock up on Good Thursday so I have gotten over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Maybe straying from the point a bit,but the abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday is another silly one.I can eat a full salmon,trout etc if I am able,yet I cannot touch a sausage or a wing of a chicken.Crazy.

What on earth are you talking about ? It's a recommendation for practicing Catholics for their own spiritual benefit and development, and doesn't apply to anyone else.

You can eat meat and drink alcohol and and anything else till it comes out your ears if you wish.

Jews for spiritual reasons don't eat pork, it doesn't for one second mean other people can't.

Strange how if you are a practising Catholic with the pubs closed on Christmas Day you can drink yourself into oblivion at home without the "abstinence conscience" coming into play,yet on Good Friday with the pubs closed the same doesn't apply.

Practicing Catholics are actually not required to abstain from alcohol on good Friday, this has already been covered in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Your efforts at appearing condescending and patronising in the face of hard facts only further enhance the image you portray of someone who is either suffering from serious issues or drunk.
    You've persisted in bringing a religious aspect to the argument to the extent where you appear to be what we used to refer to as a "religious maniac". Are you a religious maniac fleawuss?
    I can only come to the conclusion that you simply don't have the intellectual capacity to grasp the concept of employment law that deals with annual leave and public holidays as you make no reference to the Organisation of Working Time Act which is the piece of legislation which applies in this case.
    You attempt, instead, to foam at the mouth about some religious nonsense in an effort to distract from your own limitations in which you are, incidentally, drowning.
    Admit that you have lost the argument. That you never had an argument and that you haven't really a bogging clue what your on about.

There called Loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

There's arguments for and against this but for me a big part of me wanting this to stay as it is is that people who work in pubs or venues that serve alcohol get a day off. It may be a relatively boring day but if you wish to drink stock up the day before.

KKkitty wrote: »
    There's arguments for and against this but for me a big part of me wanting this to stay as it is is that people who work in pubs or venues that serve alcohol get a day off. It may be a relatively boring day but if you wish to drink stock up the day before.

I don't understand how there could be any argument for keeping the ban though, what is the argument?

I completely agree about stocking up too, it's not much of an encumbrance really but it's out of principal it's an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

But the Bible doesn't set the rules for Catholics.
    That's Canon Law.
    You've been told this many times but it just seems to "whooosh" right over your head.

Your the only person who's ever told me this.:confused:

222233 wrote: »
    I don't understand how there could be any argument for keeping the ban though, what is the argument?

I completely agree about stocking up too, it's not much of an encumbrance really but it's out of principal it's an issue.

I get what you're saying but Good Friday and Christmas Day are the only times where pubs have to close for the day. There's ample opportunity to drink in pubs the rest of the year.

I get what you're saying but Good Friday and Christmas Day are the only times where pubs have to close for the day. There's ample opportunity to drink in pubs the rest of the year.

I absolutely completely agree with you and think it's great for staff, but I can't think of any founded argument as to why it should be kept in place. Again as I say I really don't dwell on it, I can buy drink anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where does the idea come from that people who work in pubs not get any time off?

They work the same hours as most people and get holidays etc.

Ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the arguments against the bann far outweigh the non-arguments for it to remain though. if all businesses were banned from trading good friday then certainly as much as it would be inconvenient there would be no issue from me, because the rules would be equal and across all businesses. in terms of good friday and christmas day only 1 business is banned from trading via law and that is wrong. all or none in my view. it's about equality rather then not being able to go into a pub. i don't go to pubs myself anyway so the bann doesn't effect me, but there really is no argument for it to remain.
    even if the penalties for publicans being caught opening were lowered as much as possible that would work if removing the bann was such an issue for people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Your efforts at appearing condescending and patronising in the face of hard facts only further enhance the image you portray of someone who is either suffering from serious issues or drunk.
    You've persisted in bringing a religious aspect to the argument to the extent where you appear to be what we used to refer to as a "religious maniac". Are you a religious maniac fleawuss?
    I can only come to the conclusion that you simply don't have the intellectual capacity to grasp the concept of employment law that deals with annual leave and public holidays as you make no reference to the Organisation of Working Time Act which is the piece of legislation which applies in this case.
    You attempt, instead, to foam at the mouth about some religious nonsense in an effort to distract from your own limitations in which you are, incidentally, drowning.
    Admit that you have lost the argument. That you never had an argument and that you haven't really a bogging clue what your on about.

The level of personalized abuse speaks volumes about who has won the argument. :D.

It's very simple and no amount of smokescreen can hide it, not even the OWTA. The ban on alcohol sales on GF is rooted in the pernicious influence of the RCC in this country. Goodbye and I hope you learn the virtue of Christian charity at some future stage.

And again, i will say.......

bubblypop wrote: »
    So it seems nobody has a problem with bank holidays originating from religious holidays, but they have a problem with licensing laws originating from the same religious holidays?

Double standards anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The intoxicating liquor act of 1927 which was last amended in 2008 is the reason why the pubs are closed on good Friday and Christmas Day and up to the early sixties so was paddys day. So let's stop this religion excuse.

Just wondering did the Catholic Church have any influence over the Intoxicating Liquor Act back in 1927?
    Yes but not in 2008.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where does the idea come from that people who work in pubs not get any time off?

They work the same hours as most people and get holidays etc.

Ridiculous argument.

Do you have to be available for work 363 days a year?

Your the only person who's ever told me this.:confused:

So we'll never again see you refer to the Bible as the source of Catholic rules and regs?

• Advertisement

I worked in a hotel years ago. Sometimes if someone from the bar called in sick they'd have to ring someone who was on their day off to come in. Just because you're given a day off in hospitality it doesn't mean you're going to get it.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The level of personalized abuse speaks volumes about who has won the argument. :D.

It's very simple and no amount of smokescreen can hide it, not even the OWTA. The ban on alcohol sales on GF is rooted in the pernicious influence of the RCC in this country. Goodbye and I hope you learn the virtue of Christian charity at some future stage.

"Personalised abuse". LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

"Personalised abuse". LOL.

Exactly. You're the gift that keeps giving. :D

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Exactly. You're the gift that keeps giving. :D

And your like the Duracell bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

And again, i will say.......

Is anywhere forced to close on a bank holiday? As long as they can stay open if they wish I don't see the issue.

Though you also add weekends to your example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I am not Catholic, I don't believe I will go to hell for drinking alcohol on
    Good Friday. I know I am a minority in Ireland in this regard but why are my rights ignored on Good Friday and what if any steps could I take to get this overturned?

Note: its not about the alcohol, its about imposing religious dogma on non
    religious citizens.
    If you want to drink alcohol on good Friday you don't have to go to a pub to get it. With that logic your rights are not ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Going to the off licence the day before Good Friday like......

tumblr_ljad0kZDll1qd76f8o1_1280.jpg

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is anywhere forced to close on a bank holiday? As long as they can stay open if they wish I don't see the issue.

Though you also add weekends to your example.

But licensing laws say i can't buy drink in a shop after 10pm
    Licensing laws forbid me from buying alcohol on good Friday or Christmas day.
    I can't buy alcohol before 10am in the morning.
    So the problem is obviously licensing laws

But licensing laws say i can't buy drink in a shop after 10pm
    Licensing laws forbid me from buying alcohol on good Friday or Christmas day.
    I can't buy alcohol before 10am in the morning.
    So the problem is obviously licensing laws

The licencing laws, and the selling restrictions for a licence, relate to licensed sellers. Nothing to do with prohibiting you from buying.

• Advertisement

......... wrote: »
    The licencing laws, and the selling restrictions for a licence, relate to licensed sellers. Nothing to do with prohibiting you from buying.

You can't buy if licencing laws prohibit the sales of intoxicating liquor!

Advertisement