Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Drink at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As for why the GF ban still exists, I'd say the vintners association. It is a day off for the publicans pure and simple. Especially when it is a quiet night of the week in many pubs anyway.

In Galway, anyways, most of them are busy inside their pubs doing maintenance work that cannot be done when there will be punters back in the building in a few hours. It's actually quite handy for them to have a common day when they're all closed. Many would prefer that it wasn't a bank holiday, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Probably an atheist.

So what if he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

So what if he is?

Explains his obsession with catholicism. If someone says they are catholic and has been baptised etc then they are catholic, regardless of what he thinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Fleawuss wrote: »
    "Whining", "allegedly", "inordinate", "we", "hate heart attack". Distorted view of the thread.

It's irrelevant if the day is of some other religious significance because it will be chosen at random and declared alcohol free day for public health reasons with a clear rationale not based on the religious practice. How could you possibly object? Unless of course "your god" loses. :D

You want the fixed day of closure moved to another date because the current fixed day is a day of religious importance and that affects your delicate fragile sensibilities. Ok done.
    So now tell us what day you want Christmas Day moved to,
    Because CD is no different, in fact it's worse.
    A religious holiday when not just pubs but (bar some petrol stations and family run shops) every thing is closed!!
    You must find it intolerable!!!
    How do you cope?!?
    Anyway, go ahead and tell us which too none religious holidays calendar dates you've picked for the pubs to close.

• Advertisement

Explains his obsession with catholicism. If someone says they are catholic and has been baptised etc then they are catholic, regardless of what he thinks.

What makes you think he has an obsession with Catholicism.

What makes you think he has an obsession with Catholicism.

Because it is one of the characteristics of an Irish atheist.

He is probably a Catholic living in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

End of the road unable to back up his insulting claim that most Catholics are faking it. Hmm let me check out the census figures...yeah we live in Catholic country

the census figures mean jot. most of the people putting down catholic on the census forms practice nothing of the catholic faith. they are the same people who only get their children confirmed and communed for a day out on the drink. now i don't have an issue with people wanting a day out on the drink, i enjoyed plenty of days out on the drink myself when i was younger. but to use religious sacraments as a reason for it is disrespectful. the reality is ireland isn't a catholic country, and the people claiming to be catholic when really they aren't and should just tell the truth that they are of no religion are taking the piss and disrespecting the religion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

infogiver wrote: »
    You want the fixed day of closure moved to another date because the current fixed day is a day of religious importance and that affects your delicate fragile sensibilities. Ok done.
    So now tell us what day you want Christmas Day moved to,
    Because CD is no different, in fact it's worse.
    A religious holiday when not just pubs but (bar some petrol stations and family run shops) every thing is closed!!
    You must find it intolerable!!!
    How do you cope?!?
    Anyway, go ahead and tell us which too none religious holidays calendar dates you've picked for the pubs to close.

I find the accusation of "delicate fragile sensibilities " from posters trying desperately to cling to the last vestiges of religious control laughable. Why does Good Friday matter to you so much. It's silly.

And Goid Friday isn't a fixed day. It moves with the moon. :D.

Look at all the exclamation marks. You are very worked up. Why so fragile? :D

I already told you what to with the Good Friday closure.

Read it.

the census figures mean jot. most of the people putting down catholic on the census forms practice nothing of the catholic faith. they are the same people who only get their children confirmed and communed for a day out on the drink. now i don't have an issue with people wanting a day out on the drink, i enjoyed plenty of days out on the drink myself when i was younger. but to use religious sacraments as a reason for it is disrespectful. the reality is ireland isn't a catholic country, and the people claiming to be catholic when really they aren't and should just tell the truth that they are of no religion are taking the piss and disrespecting the religion.

B*ll*cks.

• Advertisement

Because it is one of the characteristics of an Irish atheist.

He is probably a Catholic living in denial.
    Lol

God, yeah it would be horrible to wake up one day to discover you belong to the Catholic church.

B*ll*cks.

Are you a Catholic by any chance?

Isn't it astonishing to see the outpourings of abuse and hatred from those defending this ban rooted in religious practice and the immaturity of the Irish state. Such hatred. Completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

And how do you know Catholics are lying on the census? Where is your evidence? Because Catholics sin they are not 'real Catholics? Dismissing the census because you don't like what you see is childish and immature.

Sorry but your empirical evidence does not trump the census.

Come on. People use Catholic in the census to mean that they were baptised Catholic. Many, probably most, are not believers.

Are you a Catholic by any chance?

What if I am? Do you have a problem with Catholicism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Isn't it astonishing to see the outpourings of abuse and hatred from those defending this ban rooted in religious practice and the immaturity of the Irish state. Such hatred. Completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus.

I support the ban (as did most people on the first few pages) because I like that it annoys a certain type of drinker. Maybe every Friday should be alcohol free.

I support the ban (as did most people on the first few pages) because I like that it annoys a certain type of drinker. Maybe every Friday should be alcohol free.

Or every third Friday, just to cause confusion.

Or every third Friday, just to cause confusion.

Now we're seeing another element to the ban: spite about how other people choose to live their lives.

I find the accusation of "delicate fragile sensibilities " from posters trying desperately to cling to the last vestiges of religious control laughable. Why does Good Friday matter to you so much. It's silly.

And Goid Friday isn't a fixed day. It moves with the moon. :D.

Look at all the exclamation marks. You are very worked up. Why so fragile? :D

I already told you what to with the Good Friday closure.

Read it.

The date of GF moves every year but the fact that it is a gaurunteed day off for bar staff is fixed.
    But you know that.
    You are the poster incensed and overwhelmed with indignation and outrage over pubs being closed on a religious holiday, not me. Your sense of personal victimhood over this grave injustice is difficult for you to contain in fact.
    But there is another religious holiday on which the law says no pubs may open.
    Where's your indignation over Christmas Day? Where's your outrage? Your cry to have The law changed so that the pubs must be open on Christmas Day, IN FACT EVERYTHING OPEN. SHOPS PUBS POST OFFICES BANKS GPs SURGERIES SW OFFICES LOCAL AUTHORITIES TAX OFFICES, YOUR PLACE OF WORK FLEAWUSS
    Please don't ignore this time fleawuss.
    Or if you find you've no real answer, just admit it and move on.
    There's no difference between GF and CD. If you think there is please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

god this old chestnut *sigh*. haven't people heard of purchasing alcohol beforehand - in a shop/off licence if drinking means that much to them.
    it's a catholic/christian country. if the state/church wish for pubs to be closed on good friday, as on christmas day, then so be it.
    those getting themselves into a know over it need to cop on.

publicians will never convince me that the amount spewnt on good friday will be the difference between them staying in business or not.

we're supposed to respect traditions/laws in other countries and to accept or at least attempt to understand them so why can't this law here be accepted also.
    it's one day.

For me it's nothing to do with not being able to get a drink for 24 hours, I can easily manage that.

But the idea that I am denied the opportunity to purchase a drink on a certain day because of religion is just wrong.

Alcohol doesn't always have to be about excess. A glass of wine with a meal is very pleasant . A beer or two on a Friday after work is a also very relaxing. I should be able to do this if I want to.

The ban actually leads to more excess drinking as people stock up and/or have house parties. I myself would make sure to have alcohol on the day just for the spite of it.

Your claim about Ireland being a catholic/christian country is wrong. Ireland is officially a secular state and there should not be laws stemming from religion on our statute books.

You say, "f the state/church wish for pubs to be closed on good friday, as on christmas day, then so be it." This shows how your thinking is wrong as the church should not have any influence on the state or have the power to have pubs closed.
    If catholics don't want to drink on Good Friday then don't but let those that don't follow those beliefs do what they want.

A law that closes pubs on Good Friday is also not a tradition as you put it either.

• Advertisement

Now we're seeing another element to the ban: spite about how other people choose to live their lives.

Or a joke? Some people take this one day restriction far too seriously.

murpho999 wrote: »
    For me it's nothing to do with not being able to get a drink for 24 hours, I can easily manage that.

But the idea that I am denied the opportunity to purchase a drink on a certain day because of religion is just wrong.

Alcohol doesn't always have to be about excess. A glass of wine with a meal is very pleasant . A beer or two on a Friday after work is a also very relaxing. I should be able to do this if I want to.

The ban actually leads to more excess drinking as people stock up and/or have house parties. I myself would make sure to have alcohol on the day just for the spite of it.

Your claim about Ireland being a catholic/christian country is wrong. Ireland is officially a secular state and there should not be laws stemming from religion on our statute books.

You say, "f the state/church wish for pubs to be closed on good friday, as on christmas day, then so be it." This shows how your thinking is wrong as the church should not have any influence on the state or have the power to have pubs closed.
    If catholics don't want to drink on Good Friday then don't but let those that don't follow those beliefs do what they want.

A law that closes pubs on Good Friday is also not a tradition as you put it either.

....but you've no problem with absolutely everything including pubs being closed on Christmas Day too.
    The pubs are closed by law on Christmas Day because it's a religious holiday.
    Please explain what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The date of GF moves every year but the fact that it is a gaurunteed day off for bar staff is fixed.
    But you know that.
    You are the poster incensed and overwhelmed with indignation and outrage over pubs being closed on a religious holiday, not me. Your sense of personal victimhood over this grave injustice is difficult for you to contain in fact.
    Where's your indignation over Christmas Day? Where's your outrage? Your cry to have The law changed so that the pubs must be open on Christmas Day, IN FACT EVERYTHING OPEN. SHOPS PUBS POST OFFICES BANKS GPs SURGERIES SW OFFICES LOCAL AUTHORITIES TAX OFFICES, YOUR PLACE OF WORK FLEAWUSS

the pubs opening on christmas day actually wouldn't be a bad thing. plenty of people out there who are on their own and the pub would potentially be a location for them to go to be with others at what can be a lonely time of year for them.
    ....but you've no problem with absolutely everything including pubs being closed on Christmas Day too.

the difference is that most other businesses also close on christmas day. in fact they may be legally obligated to do so. however on good friday, a single form of business is singled out for a bann on trade which is discriminatory and with out good reasoning and basis.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

But you know that.

Good Friday is nt a fixed day. You know that. Why are you close ngo g so desperately to this religious relic? Why are you so bitter and desperate to defend it? Look, admit it. You're a religious person who wants this religious ban upheld so you can impose your will on other people. Why are you trying to wriggle away from the GF issue. You know perfectly well CD is a public holiday. GF isn't. The key is PUBLIC as distinct from RELIGIOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Christy42

the pubs opening on christmas day actually wouldn't be a bad thing. plenty of people out there who are on their own and the pub would potentially be a location for them to go to be with others at what can be a lonely time of year for them.

the difference is that most other businesses also close on christmas day. in fact they may be legally obligated to do so. however on good friday, a single form of business is singled out for a bann on trade which is discriminatory and with out good reasoning and basis.

I disagree. If businesses are forced to close Christmas day they should be allowed open again. It can remain a bank holiday requiring more pay or whatever.

However if they choose to close (as they will struggle to get staff/customers) then that is fine as they are choosing.

Workers should get days off every year. I see no reason for the government to decide which ones. They can suggest with bank holidays but that is a different matter.

Christmas is a bigger holiday and very centred around family time together, traditional dinner etc.

I am not religious at all but enjoy Christmas festivities and the time off.

The idea of going to the pub that day would seem odd.

Good Friday is a working day for many people and pubs should not be singled out for closure.

I don't see how the fact that every other private business chooses to close on Christmas Day (they are certainly not obliged by law to close on Christmas Day, indeed increasingly petrol stations and corner shops are open) has any bearing on the law regarding pubs closing on GF and CD.
    If you advocate for the pubs to be open by law on GF then you must advocate for them to be open on CD too.
    On reflection, Good Friday and Christmas Day are public service holidays only because they are religious holidays, Easter Monday too.
    So really if your antagonised and outraged over not being able to access pubs and other public services on Good Friday then you really need to be antagonised and outraged over Easter Monday St Patrick's Day and Easter Monday too.All religious holidays where the law says services are closed.
    Over to you EOTR.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Christmas is a bigger holiday and very centred around family time together, traditional dinner etc.

I am not religious at all but enjoy Christmas festivities and the time off.

The idea of going to the pub that day would seem odd.

Good Friday is a working day for many people and pubs should not be singled out for closure.

So....you observe Christmas ergo the pubs can be closed, you don't observe Good Friday so they should be open.
    You can ignore the fact that Christmas is a religious holiday but you can't ignore the fact that Good Friday is a religious holiday. When a religious holiday suits you the law is GOOD. When it doesn't suit you it's BAD.
    I see. Seems sensible.

So....you observe Christmas ergo the pubs can be closed, you don't observe Good Friday so they should be open.
    You can ignore the fact that Christmas is a religious holiday but you can't ignore the fact that Good Friday is a religious holiday. When a religious holiday suits you the law is GOOD. When it doesn't suit you it's BAD.
    I see. Seems sensible.

No, you're putting two and two together and making 5.

I don't observe Christmas for the religion reasons but for the holiday. It's a holiday for the vast majority of people and I don't think publicans want to work that day either. It is also an excessive alcohol day for many too.

Good Friday is not the same as Christmas, it is not a family day or a big event. Familes don't get together on Good Friday. It's a normal day for many. Everything is open except pubs and that should change.

• Advertisement

I see. Seems sensible.

Your confusion continues because you are rooted in religion. CD is a public holiday. I accept a public holiday. GF is religious observance enforced on all the public. That is outdated.

Advertisement