Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Mr.H wrote: »
    a few years back Munster hosted Leinster in Thomond park.

On that day Limerick was granted a license to allow bars to open to accommodate the many visitors of the game. Needless to say attendance was much higher than usual :D

I was off that day. Didnt go to the game.

I did not go to the pub

if the pubs were opened on good firday it doesnt mean I will go there. In fact I might not as it is a long weekend and if I can get time off I would go away with my girlfriend.

The point is that I should have a choice of going to the pub if I want.

I am not religious and find the mere though of believing in that (as far as I am concerned) rubbish as childish and not very clever.

I for one dont think pubs should be restricted by any "opening hours". If I had a shop I could open any time I want and set my own hours. The same should be said if I owned a pub.

I am not catholic and supposedly dont live in a country that is run by the church so why should I live by catholic rules?

If we close on good friday should we not also close for the whole of Ramadan since we are an inclusive country??

Its a load of crap that is allowed to remain because too many people are "ah sure leave it its tradition" sheep

Closing for Ramadan wouldn't make much sense because Islam doesn't restrict alcohol just for Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Funny how you never hear people complaining about getting a day off for Paddy's day, Christmas or Easter. All religious holidays . Maybe we should put cease to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How will I ever go a day without drink. Geez some people have it bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Closing for Ramadan wouldn't make much sense because Islam doesn't restrict alcohol just for Ramadan.

That will show you how much I know or care about Islam the same as Christianity

They are both ridiculous as far as I am concerned. Just two different silly religions
    Funny how you never hear people complaining about getting a day off for Paddy's day, Christmas or Easter. All religious holidays . Maybe we should put cease to them too.

I dont get any of those days off. I do however get a day in liue for bank holidays.

Bank holidays happen in most countries and are not exclusive to religious events. Only in this country...............

I practice Chistmas obviously and use it as a time when we get family together. We dont pray to god that day or think of religious crap. We just catch up and spend time together.

Easter I dont practice. We buy eggs for each other dont get me wrong but we eat them for about two weeks before and another two weeks after. Its just the cadburys version of pancake tuesday where I over indulge for as long as possible around that time.

Paddys day is just when we celebrate being Irish. Personally I never go out for it, dont go to the parades and one year just went to the burren with my dogs and my GF for the day.

Bank holidays we all deserve as in every country.

They do not have to have any religious aspects and wouldnt care if we changed them for other days.

I would change the bank holidays personally and have one for each of the seasons (winter BH, Autumn BH, Spring BH and SUmmer BH), then I would have a republic BH (the day Ireland became a Republic. Perhaps when Ireland become united we could use that day), I would keep Christmas, new years and Paddys day.

Easter and halloween BH's I would get rid of. No need. They would effectively just become spring and autumn BH's.

No matter what we shouldnt base rules or laws around religious views

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is not about days off, it's about the forced closure of pubs.

Big difference.
    Good Friday is also not a holiday in Ireland, I and many others will be working as normal.

Next you'll say that pubs are closed at Christmas. Which is also wrong but I find it a bigger family day that people spend at home.

• Advertisement

How will I ever go a day without drink. Geez some people have it bad.

You can go any day you want without drink. You should not have to be told what day that is.

That is the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SPDUB wrote: »
    Reading that Irish Times story it seems that the bill , proposed by independents , would only lift the ban for pubs
    Special allowances for the Vintners Association? I am shocked, shocked!

They'll probably find a way for it to still apply to Wetherspoons, though.

That will show you how much I know or care about Islam the same as Christianity

They are both ridiculous as far as I am concerned. Just two different silly religions

So you are commenting on something you know nothing about? Why should we take you seriously.

I dont get any of those days off. I do however get a day in liue for bank holidays.

Bank holidays happen in most countries and are not exclusive to religious events. Only in this country...............

Both statements incorrect.
    I practice Chistmas obviously and use it as a time when we get family together. We dont pray to god that day or think of religious crap. We just catch up and spend time together.

Easter I dont practice. We buy eggs for each other dont get me wrong but we eat them for about two weeks before and another two weeks after. Its just the cadburys version of pancake tuesday where I over indulge for as long as possible around that time.

Paddys day is just when we celebrate being Irish. Personally I never go out for it, dont go to the parades and one year just went to the burren with my dogs and my GF for the day.

Bank holidays we all deserve as in every country.

They do not have to have any religious aspects and wouldnt care if we changed them for other days.

I would change the bank holidays personally and have one for each of the seasons (winter BH, Autumn BH, Spring BH and SUmmer BH), then I would have a republic BH (the day Ireland became a Republic. Perhaps when Ireland become united we could use that day), I would keep Christmas, new years and Paddys day.

Easter and halloween BH's I would get rid of. No need. They would effectively just become spring and autumn BH's.

No matter what we shouldnt base rules or laws around religious views

So we get to keep the one religious festivals you like and not ones you don't like?

And we don't have a Halloween BH. It's called that informally but it isn't on the day.

So you are commenting on something you know nothing about? Why should we take you seriously.

Maybe because I am talking sense...............?

Or am I making your god cry or something?

Both statements incorrect.

So countries all over dont have national days, remembrance days etc? The queens birthdays ffs? (although one of those birthdays is technically religious I suppose)

So we get to keep the one religious festivals you like and not ones you don't like?

And we don't have a Halloween BH. It's called that informally but it isn't on the day.

The only religious day I would keep is Christmas and at that I wouldnt force any business to close that day either.

I dont give a crap about "all saints day" I mean they had one good song ffs :rolleyes: It is the halloween BH as far as most are concerned because we are slowly ignoring the religious nuts in this country and its about time we stoppped allowing them to have any say in how the country operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Non believer and no fan of the church but don't care much either way.

If I fancy a home drink on Friday, I'll buy some on Thursday.

If I fancy going to the pub, I'll just do it on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

If I don't want a drink, I won't have one.

Pretty straightforward (for non-neckbeards, at least) really.

• Advertisement

As I said my views are completely based on the fact we should not be operating the country based on a silly religious idea. I bet most of you defending the ban never go to church nor will you on good friday.

There are 3 popular defenses of the ban

1) It is a religious holiday so should remain
    2) sure its tradition and its nice to keep some traditions
    3) Cant we just not go to the pub for one day (two days) of the year.

1) religion is an option and shouldnt be forced on anyone

2) it was also tradition to beat your child

3) I go to the pub maybe once a week maybe even two weeks at times. Add that to other event days ect and I worked it out that I probably go to the pub about 60 times a year.

That means I dont go to the pub 305 days a years. Why should 2 of those days be pre-determined by someone who thinks their god is the right one?

Non believer and no fan of the church but don't care much either way.

If I fancy a home drink on Friday, I'll buy some on Thursday.

If I fancy going to the pub, I'll just do it on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

If I don't want a drink, I won't have one.

Pretty straightforward (for non-neckbeards, at least) really.

But its this attitude that allows the status-quo to remain

I suppose you would be in favor of all kids having to make their communion in school also?

Ignorance and not caring allows bad ideals to remain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

we are slowly ignoring the religious nuts in this country and its about time we stoppped allowing them to have any say in how the country operates.

How very tolerant and enlightened of you.

But its this attitude that allows the status-quo to remain

As opposed to quaking the status quo to its foundations by arguing on the internet?

How very tolerant and enlightened of you.

I have no problem with religious people in general. I have friends of many faiths.

My issue is with the minority that are likely to call Joe Duffy and complain that we are all going to go to hell if we serve drink on good friday. The problem is many of these types are in the Dail.

I have a huge problem with a church which I have no affiliation, dictating how I live my life.

I apologies if I have offended you, I should have been more clear in my targeting.

As opposed to quaking the status quo to its foundations by arguing on the internet?

Im not trying to change things here. I am merely expressing my opinion as are you.

We will not impact change one way or another (at least not without voting in non religious people)

Maybe because I am talking sense...............?

Or am I making your god cry or something?

You would need to actually know something to make sense. I dont believe in God.

So countries all over dont have national days, remembrance days etc? The queens birthdays ffs? (although one of those birthdays is technically religious I suppose)

That's not what you said. If you can't even understand your own posts how do you expect the rest of us to. You said that only in Ireland were banks holidays religious (wrong) and that all of them are (wrong)

The only religious day I would keep is Christmas and at that I wouldnt force any business to close that day either.

Great. You get to keep the religious holiday you want. I'd like to keep pubs shut on good Friday, not because I'm religious but because the alternative is another paddy's day of messy drunks.
    I dont give a crap about "all saints day" I mean they had one good song ffs :rolleyes: It is the halloween BH as far as most are concerned because we are slowly ignoring the religious nuts in this country and its about time we stoppped allowing them to have any say in how the country operates.

It's great that you don't believe in all saints day because that isn't the bank holiday. It's the last Monday in October. The fact that you think it's Halloween or all saints merely proves that your knowledge of dates and bank holidays is aa limited as it is - but then you think all bank holidays are religious and we worship the God's Jan May, June and August

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

That's not what you said. If you can't even understand your own posts how do you expect the rest of us to. You said that only in Ireland were banks holidays religious (wrong) and that all of them are (wrong)

Great. You get to keep the religious holiday you want. I'd like to keep pubs shut on good Friday, not because I'm religious but because the alternative is another paddy's day of messy drunks.

It's great that you don't believe in all saints day because that isn't the bank holiday. It's the last Monday in October. The fact that you think it's Halloween or all saints merely proves that your knowledge of dates and bank holidays is aa limited as it is - but then you think all bank holidays are religious and we worship the God's Jan May, June and August

All Saints Day is 1st Nov

First of all wow. Your insult makes you just look pathetic

Well obviously you can try to interpret my post whatever way you want but my exact words were

"Bank holidays happen in most countries and are not exclusive to religious events. Only in this country..............."

Which is almost the truth. We have a couple of non religious bank holidays such as New years, May and August

But I did say that most countries have bank holidays that are NOT EXCLUSIVE TO RELIGIOUS EVENTS

So maybe if you actually read instead of trying to use insults to validate a very weak point of view, we might find some common ground

Why would it be another Paddys day??

Why would anyone go out just because its Good Friday??

In fact because its the Friday of a BH weekend it is usually quieter in pubs than typical friday nights so maybe your the one who needs to actually know what they are talking about before commenting?

That is a very weak argument

Makes no difference is my point.

Why are pubs not closed on Sundays for mass anymore??? Because its an old outdated mindset that should be gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are you in favour of closing the pubs on all Fridays? Seriously this is like one of the worst possible ways of dealing with the drinking culture in this country. It is a terrible idea and has no effect on it.

If not why the Friday before the second Sunday after the full moon (or whatever way they calculate the thing). Given people tend to drink on good Friday purely because the church and government are telling them not to I don't see it being that much worse than a normal Friday if the law goes away.

He has said that he does not want any business to be forced to close on Christmas but I see no harm in making it a bank holiday. As long as places have the option of being open I am ok with certain days being a bank holiday. It makes sense as most places will remain closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Make it just another normal day,everyone works it who has a job,like any other Friday,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Probably been posted already but did they not just announce that from 2018 the alcohol sales ban will be lifted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Probably been posted already but did they not just announce that from 2018 the alcohol sales ban will be lifted?

So many of the usual posters on this topic are going to be so pissed off they will have nothing to complain about Good Friday next year.

Im not trying to change things here. I am merely expressing my opinion as are you.

We will not impact change one way or another (at least not without voting in non religious people)

To be fair, I'm in a mild quandary. I'm not religious or a believer so it galls me (albeit on a really minor principle) to think I'm being told what to do by an organisation like the church but on the other hand, if lots of citizens (albeit a shrinking number) believe and want a fairly harmless day of token abstinence (token as in the amount of the remaining population appear to get paralytic anyway), I'm pretty sanguine about it.

Dunno if I'd compare GF in severity to the control of schools which is admittedly more serious.

To be fair, I'm in a mild quandary. I'm not religious or a believer so it galls me (albeit on a really minor principle) to think I'm being told what to do by an organisation like the church but on the other hand, if lots of citizens (albeit a shrinking number) believe and want a fairly harmless day of token abstinence (token as in the amount of the remaining population appear to get paralytic anyway), I'm pretty sanguine about it.

Dunno if I'd compare GF in severity to the control of schools which is admittedly more serious.

Your suffering is nearly done tho. :) They're doing away with the God Dryday alcohol ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

So many of the usual posters on this topic are going to be so pissed off they will have nothing to complain about Good Friday next year.

Don't worry the off licences will be around to whinge that sales are down because people will no longer be buying enough beer to supply a small village on Holy Thursday

It'll set off a whole new discussion on why supermarkets are to blame

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's a very simple logic here:

Q: What's the basis of the Good Friday alcohol ban?
    A: The Christian faith.

The laws of our country should not be influenced by the personal religious beliefs of the lawmakers. Lift the ban since the basis for the ban is completely false.

Asking the question "Why should we lift ban be lifted?" is just completely wrong. It's a ban. You provide reasons for the ban, you don't ban and ask for reasons to lift the ban. Banning things based on false reasons and then asking for reasons for lifting the ban is a bit like locking people up without a justifiable reason and asking them to give reasons for why they should be released. It's completely illogical.

The only way you can support the ban is if you believe that enforcing religious beliefs on the whole country by law is right.

And so many people are going to be so pissed off when they start to realise that they can't keep shoving their religion down other's people's throats anymore. Amirite?

How would pubs being open on Good Friday turn into another Paddy's Day?

It's not a bank holiday. Many people are working that day. There are no celebrations or traditions.

It would just turn into a normal Friday.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How would pubs being open on Good Friday turn into another Paddy's Day?

It's not a bank holiday. Many people are working that day. There are no celebrations or traditions.

It would just turn into a normal Friday.

The off-kilter part of my brain says that the powers that be only agreed to this now because it panders to the agenda of wiping away any religious/cultural events from the calendar. "Happy Holidays!" and all that. "The Beige-ing Olympics" as I think of it. How fast can we homogenise the entire world under the banner of "consumers" as opposed to "cultures".

I could be well off my box on that one though.

• Advertisement

Beyondgone wrote: »
    The off-kilter part of my brain says that the powers that be only agreed to this now because it panders to the agenda of wiping away any religious/cultural events from the calendar. "Happy Holidays!" and all that. "The Beige-ing Olympics" as I think of it. How fast can we homogenise the entire world under the banner of "consumers" as opposed to "cultures".

I could be well off my box on that one though.

Why? It would still be Good Friday.

Either way, we probably shoudn't have religious holidays officially and just have public holidays.

That day is a long way off though and what difference would it make if it was.

People can still do religious stuff if they want to.

Chirstmas has lost all 'religious' meaning anyway and is just a drink, shoppng and eating fest. It''s here to stay.

Advertisement