Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What did Connolly deserve a red for?

Punching someone for a start. His tackle around the neck of another player too, though a black or a yellow would have sufficed as it wasn't nearly as baf as MdMc's clothesline. He's a hothead, plain and simple.

The black card that was given was laughable compared to the stuff that should have been given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

km79 wrote: »
    Striking

If they call that striking in Mayo, what do they call a bit of trouble between toddlers? MMA?

Godge wrote: »
    If they call that striking in Mayo, what do they call a bit of trouble between toddlers? MMA?

He clearly punched him

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

McCauley should have got a straight red for that round the neck tackle.

Absolutely. I was shocked it was only a yellow.
    Fair play to Mayo today.
    But I feel they missed a trick.
    Weather conditions suited Mayo (they are well used to that weather in the west) and Dublin are a footballing team.

Dublin cannot play any worse, Mayo cannot play much better (despite giving two goals away). The weather will be better surely?

Eh Mayo definitely can play better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Weepsie wrote: »
    He clearly punched him

It would have been funny if he got a red for the punches, and we had another case of Connolly having his ban overturned at the last minute by the CCCCC.

It doesn't seem like a real All-Ireland final without the usual Connolly/CCCCC drama.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »

To add to that when Keegan was on the ground he punched him again. He should be banned for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Absolutely. I was shocked it was only a black.

It wasn't given as a black

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Jesus there's some weeping willows on both sides here. Did any of ye ever actually play football?

It was a physical game, played at high intensity in very slippy conditions. There wasn't a single incident that crossed the line, definitely nothing that either set of players would be bothered about.

The wringing of the hands on here would make you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

It wasn't given as a black

Apologies, it was yellow, I was thinking of McCarthy! :o

Bonniedog wrote: »
    McAuley probably should have walked for the neck challenge.

But in a game when you have as4holes like keegan and o'shea dropping like sacks of potatoes, it becomes a bit like "boy who cried wolf".

People slag Tyrone but Mayo are the worst at this bollix.

Terrible thinkg to say but, from 70s perspective, good smack in mouth for COC, be what is needed. Tough Dublin team but still not got the ruthlessness of Doherty, Driscoll. Larkin, O'Neill.

Cillain and Lee would have been sucking fkn straws after their assaults on Johnny Small.

I trust old traditions be restored next day.

Jimmy played with Keith after all ...... :)

When did Keegan or either O'Shea drop anywhere yesterday?

I can remember Philly rolling around after a nothing tackle by AOS in the first half, I remember Cooper rolling around and then having a miraculous recovery after another AOS tackle in the second half, I don't remember any Mayo player doing anything similar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Fair play to Mayo today.
    But I feel they missed a trick.
    Weather conditions suited Mayo (they are well used to that weather in the west) and Dublin are a footballing team.

The amount of Dublin players off form was shocking. Only a few emerged with credit Small/ Cian O'Sullivan and Paddy Andrews (paddy andrews in the first half) imo.

God knows what Aidan O'Shea was doing with that aimless final ball he played near the end.

Dublin cannot play any worse, Mayo cannot play much better (despite giving two goals away). The weather will be better surely?

Your pre-match predictions and insults were completely off the mark. You havent a clue so why would anyone listen to the above? As was pointed out to you last week, this Mayo team are far better than Kerry and there is no difference between the two sides. If Tyrone or Donegal had done the job on Dublin that Mayo did yesterday, everyone would be raving. Ye had a six point headstart and were utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Pulled keegan down when on a booking off the ball

Was a black/red card at that stage

Probably not something seen on tv

Yeah I saw that, but in fairness the amount of off the ball pulls were phenomenal yesterday. Definitely not the only one that went unpunished.

I think some Mayo fans are claiming he struck Keegan, but then again I see some also think Keegan wasn't ripping the jersey off Connolly (slightly selective edit of the incident shown on the Sunday Game didn't help). Either way it was the umpires call not the ref, there's a fine line between pushing /breaking free and a punch. Would have been a huge decision to send him off, and I think an unfair one given everything else happening on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blud wrote: »
    Jesus there's some weeping willows on both sides here. Did any of ye ever actually play football?

It was a physical game, played at high intensity in very slippy conditions. There wasn't a single incident that crossed the line, definitely nothing that either set of players would be bothered about.

The wringing of the hands on here would make you sick.

On the whole I would agree with the exception of the MDMA challenge
    That was very dangerous and he was lucky to escape red

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

In slow motion yes, in the flow of the game I'm not sure.. Again a bit decision, and no clear intent (he plays the ball less than a second before). By that logic Evan Reegan should be done for loafing a player just before the final whistle :pac:

Bonniedog wrote: »
    McAuley probably should have walked for the neck challenge.

But in a game when you have as4holes like keegan and o'shea dropping like sacks of potatoes, it becomes a bit like "boy who cried wolf".

People slag Tyrone but Mayo are the worst at this bollix.

Terrible thinkg to say but, from 70s perspective, good smack in mouth for COC, be what is needed. Tough Dublin team but still not got the ruthlessness of Doherty, Driscoll. Larkin, O'Neill.

Cillain and Lee would have been sucking fkn straws after their assaults on Johnny Small.

I trust old traditions be restored next day.

Jimmy played with Keith after all ...... :)

By the looks of this the fans are just as rattled as the Dublin players. Sorry we couldnt let ye have your procession, you mad bro?

I think it looked worse than it was, and I just don't think there was quite enough in it for a red.

I thought the ref was excellent yesterday to be honest, in very tricky conditions. Take the COC pull down that people actually re arguing for a black card - watch it again and you'll see his hand go on the shoulder of the Dublin player and then COC completely loses his footing. It's a slip rather than deliberate, you can't be giving black cards for that.

Genuinely, thought Lane was excellent and should be congratulated for reffing the game in light of the conditions instead of despite the conditions.

The only bad decision really was last minute, Dublin player picked the ball straight off the ground. Mayo should have had a free in to win the game.

Blud wrote: »
    I think it looked worse than it was, and I just don't think there was quite enough in it for a red.

I thought the ref was excellent yesterday to be honest, in very tricky conditions. Take the COC pull down that people actually re arguing for a black card - watch it again and you'll see his hand go on the shoulder of the Dublin player and then COC completely loses his footing. It's a slip rather than deliberate, you can't be giving black cards for that.

Genuinely, thought Lane was excellent and should be congratulated for reffing the game in light of the conditions instead of despite the conditions.

The only bad decision really was last minute, Dublin player picked the ball straight off the ground. Mayo should have had a free in to win the game.

Yeah I'd agree with all that
    They are not easy teams to ref to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Grudaire wrote: »

In slow motion yes, in the flow of the game I'm not sure.. Again a bit decision, and no clear intent (he plays the ball less than a second before). By that logic Evan Reegan should be done for loafing a player just before the final whistle :pac:

Oh Lord God it was a crazy challenge. That's clutching at straws. That was a clear cut red card. He was lucky that the ref was looking away at a free he had just blown for.
    He got right worked up yesterday, but I'd still play him ahead of bastick.
    He wasnt the only lucky one out there in all fairness, both sides could have been punished more severely on another day.

I'd prefer to be talking about how well/poor lad's on both sides played rather than this he did this and he did that craic.

Gavin will probably change things up a little bit the next day. You'd hAve to say Andrews deserves a start. Mannion I'm not so sure..
    Rochford is an interesting manager. It'll be good to see what he comes up with.

Here is an interesting question .........lets just say that Keegan and Connolly go at it early again the next day and both get the line . Which set of supporters are happier ?
    To be honest I won't be.........Connolly has done damn all against us any game (and in most AI semis and finals he has played ) and Keegan is a massive leader for us
    I know a lot of people will just assume that it would benefit mayo but I'd disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Here is an interesting question .........lets just say that Keegan and Connolly go at it early again the next day and both get the line . Which set of supporters are happier ?
    To be honest I won't be.........Connolly has done damn all against us any game (and in most AI semis and finals he has played ) and Keegan is a massive leader for us
    I know a lot of people will just assume that it would benefit mayo but I'd disagree

Keegan is more important to Mayo than Connolly is to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Keegan is more important to Mayo than Connolly is to Dublin.

Connolly has a pair of balls though and will shoulder responsibility. Mannion, Rock etc will not.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Connolly has a pair of balls though and will shoulder responsibility. Mannion, Rock etc will not.

Fair point too

We should have another argument over who the best freetaker is between O'Connor and Rock. I saw clear evidence of a winner on that front yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

We should have another argument over who the best freetaker is between O'Connor and Rock. I saw clear evidence of a winner on that front yesterday.

Agree, but wait a fortnight, and we can make a final judgement.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Rock was very poor yesterday but in fairness to him, he didnt go missing. He scored a good point from play in the 2nd half at an important time. That wasnt easy considering he was having a poor match.

There was debate on here yesterday about Connolly opting to shoot from that sideline. At the time, I thought "What is he doing? Keep possession!". However, watching it back last night, Dublin were really struggling to hold onto the ball which is what led to the ball trickling over the sideline. I can see more logic in Connolly going for the shot now. I still believe that they should have held onto possession but I can see where Connolly was coming from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Stoner wrote: »
    The same Diarmuid who broke Rory O'Carrolls nose in the first game off the ball caught on camera but played both games?

Cooper and SOS were at it SOS reacted and threw him to the ground and got sent off. That's SOS fault Cooper did not run to the ref

McCarthy has himself to blame for getting his card today but nobody played up to the ref for SOSs card last year that was his own fault all Cooper did was push him

Calm down with the breaking players legs over reaction. Have a look at Johnny Coopers face after the 2013 game he gets no change from Mayo. As discussed Diarmiud is no angel and nobody tried to break anyone's legs or neck as mentioned by another poster

No mention of Boyle staying on the field either with his antics today and the body check on John Small only getting a yellow he was subbed straight after it the Mayo line knew he was blessed to still be on the pitch if you want to talk about a mouthy players like Cooper check out Boyle he spent the day in people's faces again and running in on any controversy he could swinging out of players looking to start fights

Believe me whatever you feel about Cooper you have a beauty in Boyle in your own team. So if the Mayo lads need grinds Boyle can teach them.

No it wasn't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

No it wasn't.

What do you mean.?

Rock was very poor yesterday but in fairness to him, he didnt go missing. He scored a good point from play in the 2nd half at an important time. That wasnt easy considering he was having a poor match.

There was debate on here yesterday about Connolly opting to shoot from that sideline. At the time, I thought "What is he doing? Keep possession!". However, watching it back last night, Dublin were really struggling to hold onto the ball which is what led to the ball trickling over the sideline. I can see more logic in Connolly going for the shot now. I still believe that they should have held onto possession but I can see where Connolly was coming from too.

Rock was on the pitch to kick over frees. He cacked the pants.

Connolly had lost the head by the time the sideline happened. His biggest flaw and, given his age, something he is not going to grow out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

What do you mean.?

It was Cillian O'Connor who broke Rory's nose

• Advertisement

What do you mean.?

He means Diarmuid O Connor did not break O Carrolls nose last year as he did not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement