Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Kauto wrote: »
    I said it before the game. Mayo are more than a match for Dublin.
    Predicted Rock would crumble under pressure and right on cue.....
    Flynn and Brogan are past it.
    If the replay was this Sat you would have to fancy Dublin with their access to recovery baths etc and not a 3/4 hour bus journey home.
    Andrews and Mannion arethe only subs Dublin have of any worth. This so called great squad is a load of rubbish

Don't forget all the money the Dublin GAA will make from the replay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

the word phenomenal should be kept for another day. lads

3 players, all phenomenal apparently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

This Mayo team have lots of leaders and they always perform well on the big occasion. The problem is they lack the mental steel and killer instinct of champions. Thats why they look like world beaters when the situation looks hopeless but as soon as they re in a winning position the wheels come off. This results in either losing concentration and giving away bad goals or losing their nerve in attack and kicking terrible wides. In the first five minutes of the second half and the last five minutes when theyd nothing to lose they kicked 7 points but in the 30 minutes in between when the game was there for them they only managed 3 points and kicked away alot of good possession. This never seems to change no matter how much experience they have. Leads me to believe that the only way they can win the all ireland is with a last minute goal or possibly even 2.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nonsense, McCauley should of been off a clear red. The ref saved Dublin with that decision. That could of been a life changing tackle, can't see other refs been as lenient.

Cillian O'Connor should have been off a clear black. The ref saved Mayo with that decision.

Swings and roundabouts pal. Maybe if your team concentrated on winning matches instead of getting players sent off you might have got over the line today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They compare it to hurling but the difference is that hurling didn't have to address guys like Jim McGuinness and Mickey Harte ruining it with spoiling tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What club does Small play for?

What club does Small play for?

Kickhams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

John Small is a very good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Did Small get MOTM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Did Small get MOTM ?

Yes. Fenton & Vaughan were the other nominations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Bit surprised Fenton got a mention, but nonetheless Small a worthy winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Fenton was superb. I thought he would get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Bambi wrote: »
    They compare it to hurling but the difference is that hurling didn't have to address guys like Jim McGuinness and Mickey Harte ruining it with spoiling tactics.

Maybe if hurling had a few Jims or Mickeys it might be a bit more competitive and not the snoozefest of Kilkenny winning 8 of the last 11 "all irelands"😴

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Faugheen wrote: »
    Just because Connolly gets the red mist the Gooch never gets doesn't excuse the fact that players do it in the first place.

And as someone said earlier, 3 times Keegan hit him off the ball before that incident, a man who has admitted in the past to trying to get him sent off, yet Connolly's the thug today? Why are people saying 'sure Connolly shouldn't be lashing out' instead of 'this bull**** needs to stop now'?

Brolly said it about Keegan , how is his opponent booked?

harpsman wrote: »
    Maybe if hurling had a few Jims or Mickeys it might be a bit more competitive and not the snoozefest of Kilkenny winning 8 of the last 11 "all irelands"😴

I was being kind, what I was going to say originally was hurling can still be physical because the nordies havent the skill to play it :D

I'd take the semis and finals of the hurling over anything the football offered up this year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If the replay was this Sat you would have to fancy Dublin with their access to recovery baths etc and not a 3/4 hour bus journey home.
    Andrews and Mannion arethe only subs Dublin have of any worth. This so called great squad is a load of rubbish

I'm not sure if you are on a wind up.

Mayo played a sweeper..it's a compliment to players like Brogan. He might even have had a goal today ,reminiscent of the 2013 flick between defender and goalkeeper. In 2013 it went in...today it went wide.

There is a price to pay for such tactics...on the one hand you wrap up Brogan /on the other you release an extra attacking option for the opponents.
    It's a big gamble against a team like Dublin.Mayo must have some respect for Brogan to employ such a strategy.

This Dublin team are a "great squad" it's not hype.

This Mayo team are the best team never to win an All-Ireland, that's not hype either.They are a great squad too.

The difference? When Dublin have beaten Mayo, they have been rewarded with medals.When Mayo have beaten Dublin ,unfortunatley for them, they missed out on the big reward.

Paul Flynn would get a different assessment from Mayo players, I doubt that they think he is past it.

P.S. Dean Rock has been sensational this year...soapy ball/boots/pitch was playing havoc with players from both sides.He took a lovely point in the second half despite having a confidence sapping day.

He will be one of the first on the team-sheet for the replay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fenton was very good imo. Andy Moran too

McCauley should have got a straight red for that round the neck tackle.

I.m.o. McCauley was playing the ball , was about to get taken out in air by the tackler, and ,neither winning the ball and seeing what was coming made a grab for something/anything to break his landing.His foot just touched the groung before the impact...which made it look worse on his part.

It looked ugly, but I reckon the ref understood the circumstances enough .

Yellow was the right call,for me.

McCauley was being tackled,not making a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

LOL

Obviously the two goals were the biggest point but I think the next biggest turning point/ talking point was Seamus O'Shea wasting four plays in a row when Mayo were on top.

They ended up going two points down again during the period after reeling Dublin back in.

There's no need for him to be out there, Dublin don't kick it to midfield same as all the contenders.
    So if he's not catching/contesting possessions what's he offering in general play?... Nothing of note to me.

Dublin are the bench mark, they use two average height midfielders, basically if the player isn't good enough to play as a back or forward he has no place in midfield either.

Mayo would do well to disperse with the "traditional midfielder" for the replay and deploy similar players to MDMC and Fenton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

yabadabado wrote: »
    LOL

and people wonder why Dublin have three AIs in last 6 years, and Mayo have, eh, none!

As with drawn game against Kerry and Dublin, there will be only one outcome from this.

I've seriously never seen any supporters celebrate a draw as though it was a victory!

As for all that 1951 sh1te. Waterford haven't won a hurling All Ireland since 1959.

do they continually harp on about it? No. it means fk all.

Anyway, it will be 66 years by 7pm October 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I.m.o. McCauley was playing the ball , was about to get taken out in air by the tackler, and ,neither winning the ball and seeing what was coming made a grab for something/anything to break his landing.His foot just touched the groung before the impact...which made it look worse on his part.

It looked ugly, but I reckon the ref understood the circumstances enough .

Yellow was the right call,for me.

McCauley was being tackled,not making a tackle.

Wha'??????? That's nearly as inventive as the "Philly couldn't see Donaghy's eyes so it couldn't be an eyegouge" excuse that was trotted out last year. Ball was gone, McAuley only had eyes for O'Connors neck and if it was in a sport like rugby where the refs have balls he would have got a straight red but Lane bottled it ( and McAuley knew he would) just like he bottled the black card Aidan O'Shea should have got and the red Diarmuid Connolly should have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Faugheen wrote: »
    Cillian O'Connor should have been off a clear black. The ref saved Mayo with that decision.

Swings and roundabouts pal. Maybe if your team concentrated on winning matches instead of getting players sent off you might have got over the line today.

A bit like last year when Jonny Cooper (who should have been banned after trying to break Diarmuid O'Connor's leg in the first match) spent the replay trying to get players sent off and succeeded with Séamus O Sé ? The Mayo lads have a lot to learn from the Dubs there. McAuley should have been gone for the foot trip long before before he took Cillian O'Connor out with that dangerous neck challenge. Dublin had benefit of most of the swings and roundabouts today, pal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A bit like last year when Jonny Cooper (who should have been banned after trying to break Diarmuid O'Connor's leg in the first match) spent the replay trying to get players sent off and succeeded with Séamus O Sé ? The Mayo lads have a lot to learn from the Dubs there. McAuley should have been gone for the foot trip long before before he took Cillian O'Connor out with that dangerous neck challenge. Dublin had benefit of most of the swings and roundabouts today, pal

The same Diarmuid who broke Rory O'Carrolls nose in the first game off the ball caught on camera but played both games?

Cooper and SOS were at it SOS reacted and threw him to the ground and got sent off. That's SOS fault Cooper did not run to the ref

McCarthy has himself to blame for getting his card today but nobody played up to the ref for SOSs card last year that was his own fault all Cooper did was push him

Calm down with the breaking players legs over reaction. Have a look at Johnny Coopers face after the 2013 game he gets no change from Mayo. As discussed Diarmiud is no angel and nobody tried to break anyone's legs or neck as mentioned by another poster

No mention of Boyle staying on the field either with his antics today and the body check on John Small only getting a yellow he was subbed straight after it the Mayo line knew he was blessed to still be on the pitch if you want to talk about a mouthy players like Cooper check out Boyle he spent the day in people's faces again and running in on any controversy he could swinging out of players looking to start fights

Believe me whatever you feel about Cooper you have a beauty in Boyle in your own team. So if the Mayo lads need grinds Boyle can teach them.

Wha'??????? That's nearly as inventive as the "Philly couldn't see Donaghy's eyes so it couldn't be an eyegouge" excuse that was trotted out last year. Ball was gone, McAuley only had eyes for O'Connors neck and if it was in a sport like rugby where the refs have balls he would have got a straight red but Lane bottled it ( and McAuley knew he would) just like he bottled the black card Aidan O'Shea should have got and the red Diarmuid Connolly should have got.

I'll give you that one. Was watching at work ,saw ball coming mdma (and looking to be mdma's),mayo lad coming in to contest,I guess I blinked and missed that McCauley was in the air ( without the ball, by his own momentum and with a bad tackle) rather than coming out of the air .

Had the game recorded at home. Just saw the incedent without distraction.

I'll edit that post tomorrow, off to bed. Cheers for pointing it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

McAuley probably should have walked for the neck challenge.

But in a game when you have as4holes like keegan and o'shea dropping like sacks of potatoes, it becomes a bit like "boy who cried wolf".

People slag Tyrone but Mayo are the worst at this bollix.

Terrible thinkg to say but, from 70s perspective, good smack in mouth for COC, be what is needed. Tough Dublin team but still not got the ruthlessness of Doherty, Driscoll. Larkin, O'Neill.

Cillain and Lee would have been sucking fkn straws after their assaults on Johnny Small.

I trust old traditions be restored next day.

Jimmy played with Keith after all ...... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

the red Diarmuid Connolly should have got.

What did Connolly deserve a red for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

the red Diarmuid Connolly should have got.

Probably for being on the pitch, that is all Connolly needs to do nowadays for other teams and the supporters to be baying for him to be sent off.

I'd say Keegan wont be too happy with Brolly's comment on how is opponents get yellow cards when Keegan starts a wrestling match with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pulled keegan down when on a booking off the ball

Was a black/red card at that stage

Probably not something seen on tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,188 ✭✭✭✭km79

Striking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement