Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Weepsie wrote: »
    There absolutely is when Keegan is down on the ground. Its not clean, a glancing blow, but it's a definite punch. Keegan's no saint, but Connolly is filth

Watch the replays he does not make contact with a punch to his head - When Keegan falls Connolly is lashing out trying to remove Keegans hand from is jersey, one catches his should the other his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Kauto wrote: »
    Dublin played a very poor Kerry team in the semi. Mayo are a different level to Kerry.

And what pray tell are you basing this assumption on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yes but your comment would make it sound like Mayo were 6 up and threw a chance away. Not the case at all. Being handed 6 points in an all ireland is absolutely huge.

As for Dublin, they were gash. But that was down to Mayo.

lol freak goals, another excuse added to the pantheon of excuses.

But not to worry so, lightning can't strike twice in the same place can it? Mayo will have a handy win in two weeks time I'm sure you'll agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

AGC wrote: »
    Watch the replays he does not make contact with a punch to his head - When Keegan falls Connolly is lashing out trying to remove Keegans hand from is jersey, one catches his should the other his arm.

There's a video on youtube, I think you should watch it again.

The camera pans to them and at that stage they're already both holding each other's jersey, nothing major. Keegan uses his free hand to try to knock Connolly's grip off - it's Keegan who first tries to get away. Connolly then seems to stick a closed fist into Keenan's face - wouldn't really call it a punch though. Keegan goes to slap that hand away and Connolly slaps Keegan in the face. Then Connolly tries to rip Keegan shirt off him and ends up dragging him down, Keegan goes down but still hasn't let go of the shirt so Connolly continues throwing slaps at Keegan arm.

That is literally what happens. Connolly more the aggressor than Keegan, very clearly from the video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Bambi wrote: »

But not to worry so, lightning can't strike twice in the same place can it? Mayo will have a handy win in two weeks time I'm sure you'll agree :)

I actually do think Mayo will win in two weeks. The better team.

• Advertisement

Blud wrote: »

The camera pans to them and at that stage they're already both holding each other's jersey, nothing major. Keegan uses his free hand to try to knock Connolly's grip off - it's Keegan who first tries to get away. Connolly then seems to stick a closed fist into Keenan's face - wouldn't really call it a punch though. Keegan goes to slap that hand away and Connolly slaps Keegan in the face. Then Connolly tries to rip Keegan shirt off him and ends up dragging him down, Keegan goes down but still hasn't let go of the shirt so Connolly continues throwing slaps at Keegan arm.

That is literally what happens. Connolly more the aggressor than Keegan, very clearly from the video.

I never said Connolly is the victim here I am just saying there is no closed fist contact with Keegan's head and that is clear from the video. It's an open hand push in his face and a few swipes to remove keegan, nothing to the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Well they were freak goals in fairness.

If Boyle or McLoughlin had not made an effort to defend the goals wouldn't have been scored.

I never said Connolly is the victim here I am just saying there is no closed fist contact with Keegan's head and that is clear from the video. It's an open hand push in his face and a few swipes to remove keegan, nothing to the head.

You're unwittingly providing close to the definition of striking here you know ;)

Keegan uses his free hand to try to knock Connolly's grip off -

Or to us the english lanaguage in all its accurate glory, Keegan punched Connolly. Silly by Lee but rules is rules. Red Card For Lee. Thank you. Free to Dublin

I wonder should we do a search to see who was applauding the umpire that had o'gara sent off against donegal for his literal interpretation of the rulebook? :D

You're unwittingly providing close to the definition of striking here you know ;)

And?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

christ, who cares. Keegan will do the same thing the next day to Connolly and Connolly will react on occassion. Keegan won't make any apologies for it, he is well aware what he is doing and I am sure he knows well everyone else knows so its just a matter of just about doing enough to stay onside. There is every chance one of them is going to react at one stage but its usually the player targetting the other in these sledging, jostling battles (ie the defender) who gets away with it. Keegan knows this. Keegan loves this part of the game, whilst Connolly hates it naturally.

Mayo fans should not need to try defend Keegan, it is obvious what he is doing but there is method to his madness, a madness which clearly helped Mayo overall yesterday. So its indefensible in that the evidence is there what he is doing but the reasons behind it are clear.

Its not nice to watch one of the best players in the last ten years not being able to showcase his talent but at the end of the day Mayo won't give a cr!p.

It is what it is and its up to the officials to regulate it.

Kauto wrote: »
    Dublin may well improve but huge room for Mayo to improve also. he wont drop Brogan and Flynn.

Dublin played a very poor Kerry team in the semi. Mayo are a different level to Kerry. The arrogance shown by a number of Dublin supporters and the rubbish written in the papers for the last two weeks was astounding. There will be very little between them again in the replay.
    There has been very little arrogance and virtually no hype in Dublin, but Mayo supporters are at it again if they believe that.

And?

And Connolly should be banned for the crack he was at yesterday. He threw four or five strikes in that incident. Whether fist was closed or connection was made is not relevant to the offence.

Well they were freak goals in fairness.

If Boyle or McLoughlin had not made an effort to defend the goals wouldn't have been scored.

First one took two deflections, one a good block that prevented brogan from scoring.

Second could have gone anywhere but andrews(?) was coming in behind it.

Both from Mayo full back line caught out with a nice footpass over the top, or a freakish boot you like.

As my old safety trainer used to say: accidents don't just happen. :)

And Connolly should be banned for the crack he was at yesterday. He threw four or five strikes in that incident. Whether fist was closed or connection was made is not relevant to the offence.

Get a grip will you, there was no sending off offences yesterday and won't be any retrospective action as it was dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

These are the stills. Connolly the aggressor he has his ams locked around Keegan.

397320.PNG

397321.PNG

If poor oul dermo's retaliation upset you I'd say you're furious about Leeroys two fouls before dublins first goal. You must be hopping that he wasn't sent off for those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

But the whole thing starts with Keegan walking over to Connolly, completely unprovoked, and pushing him full on two hands in the chest.

And it ends with Keegan waving his fists in victory when Connolly is being booked.

Part of the modern game? Its stupid stuff really, and just as bad from Connolly that he cant just ignore it, and I certainly wouldn't want my kids trying to copying the way the two of them go on.

Having said that, they are the two most interesting players on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

COC - pure class. Everything he did was right. The comparisons with Rock on here before the game proved laughable.

Think this is way OTT.

Showed great courage to kick the equaliser, but I didn't see anything special from him the rest of the game. One particularly awful hand-pass to nobody in front of the goals wasted a good scoring chance for Mayo.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    But the whole thing starts with Keegan walking over to Connolly, completely unprovoked, and pushing him full on two hands in the chest.

And it ends with Keegan waving his fists in victory when Connolly is being booked.

Part of the modern game? Its stupid stuff really, and just as bad from Connolly that he cant just ignore it, and I certainly wouldn't want my kids trying to copying the way the two of them go on.

Having said that, they are the two most interesting players on the pitch.

Keegan waving his fists in victory?

Video link or it didn't happen. Your call.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Think this is way OTT.

Showed great courage to kick the equaliser, but I didn't see anything special from him the rest of the game. One particularly awful hand-pass to nobody in front of the goals wasted a good scoring chance for Mayo.

A lot of ball went through him second half when he came deeper, he played some really good balls into Moran into space around Cooper.

Agreed on that hand pass though, had forgotten about that one. I'm still not sure what he was even trying there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

First one took two deflections, one a good block that prevented brogan from scoring.

Second could have gone anywhere but andrews(?) was coming in behind it.

Both from Mayo full back line caught out with a nice footpass over the top, or a freakish boot you like.

As my old safety trainer used to say: accidents don't just happen. :)

Pure bad luck for both goals sure you could argue why was the ball anywhere near the goals in the first place but when you concede 2 goals because of deflections it is pretty bad luck that both deflections ended up in the back of the net.

Or to us the english lanaguage in all its accurate glory, Keegan punched Connolly. Silly by Lee but rules is rules. Red Card For Lee. Thank you. Free to Dublin

I wonder should we do a search to see who was applauding the umpire that had o'gara sent off against donegal for his literal interpretation of the rulebook? :D

Nope, Keegan didn't punch Connolly. And I didn't say he did.

Keegan waving his fists in victory?

Video link or it didn't happen. Your call.

000ce013-800.jpg

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    000ce013-800.jpg

Are you genuinely showing a picture of Keegan gesturing to the umpire that Connolly had thrown a punch to prove your point about 'waving his fists in victory'?

Jesus. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Get a grip will you, there was no sending off offences yesterday and won't be any retrospective action as it was dealt with.

I understand you didn't see the match, that's OK, but McAuley would have been sent off in any other sport for what he did yesterday. You are correct however that Dublin see the GAA as their facilitators in every respect (financial, logistical etc.) and they have a natural expectation that disciplinary measures should only apply to other counties.

Are you genuinely showing a picture of Keegan gesturing to the umpire that Connolly had thrown a punch to prove your point about 'waving his fists in victory'?

Jesus. Good luck.

You can read it whatever way you like. Were you there beside him at the time asking him why he did it?

That's the way I saw it.

Anyway, by your interpretation, he is trying to get the guy send off for something he didn't do....

either way....

I understand you didn't see the match, that's OK, but McAuley would have been sent off in any other sport for what he did yesterday. You are correct however that Dublin see the GAA as their facilitators in every respect (financial, logistical etc.) and they have a natural expectation that disciplinary measures should only apply to other counties.

MacAuley wasn't playing any other sport though, so that's pretty irrelevant. For example, in soccer, AOS would have been sent off for catching the ball at throw in, doesn't make it a sending off in football.

MDMA's incident was wild and looked bad, but not a sending off.

Ahem

397328.PNG

Unless Connolly has had sillicon implants then he ain't the reason his jersey is stretched out like that :D

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ how do people manage to go from incidents in the game to how they think Dublin control the GAA???

At first glance from the lower Hogan it looked like a bad challenge from MDMA as was O'Shea's hit on Cooper - on looking at replays last night neither were a red IMO and pundits from both sides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement