Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dublin were rubbish yet still ended up only seconds away from winning the game anyway. When you're the underdog you have to be taking any chance that's given to you but Mayo weren't good enough to take advantage.

Hard to see Dublin playing as badly twice in a row, think Mayo will regret leaving it behind them yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

awec wrote: »
    Dublin were rubbish yet still ended up only seconds away from winning the game anyway. When you're the underdog you have to be taking any chance that's given to you but Mayo weren't good enough to take advantage.

Hard to see Dublin playing as badly twice in a row, think Mayo will regret leaving it behind them yesterday.

What are you on about? Dublin were handed a six point headstart with two utterly freak goals. For Mayo to come back and get a draw was an epic effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

If a team heads into injury time 3 points up and fails to win then I believe that team has left it behind them. Not the team who fights back.
    I'm seeing this Diblin can't play as badly again line everywhere . Mayo made them play badly like they made Tyrone okay badly. Forcing lots of shots from poor positions and wides. Mayo will do that again and hopefully improve attacking wise. Plenty of room for improvement there ........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gael85 wrote:
    It was Cillian O'Connor who broke Rory's nose

Sorry . I was convinced it Diarmuid

Peist2007 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Dublin were handed a six point headstart with two utterly freak goals. For Mayo to come back and get a draw was an epic effort.

Aye, came back and all that (no medals for that though) but at the end of the day Dublin were gash and Mayo wasted the best opportunity they're likely to get to beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Weepsie wrote: »
    He clearly punched him

Funny looking punch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Applying pressure so your opposition score own goals is hardly having it handed to you.

Dublin won't make the same mistake twice. It was right there for Mayo to take and they didn't.

Aye, came back and all that (no medals for that though) but at the end of the day Dublin were gash and Mayo wasted the best opportunity they're likely to get to beat them.

Yes but your comment would make it sound like Mayo were 6 up and threw a chance away. Not the case at all. Being handed 6 points in an all ireland is absolutely huge.

As for Dublin, they were gash. But that was down to Mayo.

km79 wrote: »
    If a team heads into injury time 3 points up and fails to win then I believe that team has left it behind them. Not the team who fights back.
    I'm seeing this Diblin can't play as badly again line everywhere . Mayo made them play badly like they made Tyrone okay badly. Forcing lots of shots from poor positions and wides. Mayo will do that again and hopefully improve attacking wise. Plenty of room for improvement there ........

Exactly. I'm loving this "we'll never be as bad again" talk. Ignoring what was in front of their eyes. Perfect.

km79 wrote: »

Mayo can improve all they want but if Dublin play near their best they'll win. That's the problem for Mayo, they need Dublin to not get their game going.

They'll be doing a rain dance every day for the next two weeks out west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I'd prefer to be talking about how well/poor lad's on both sides played rather than this he did this and he did that craic.

Me too, just that there wasn't much football played yesterday :pac:

Agree that Andrews made a strong argument for inclusion, but he was quieter in the second half. Brogan was very quiet.

Most disappointing (for both sides) was decision making in front of the posts. Dublin could have taken a few early fisted points instead of aiming for goal.

Worse still when they had a straightforward shot they milled it wide. Cooper was one example of this, another day it would have sailed over the bar.

shinny wrote: »
    Applying pressure so your opposition score own goals is hardly having it handed to you.

Dublin won't make the same mistake twice. It was right there for Mayo to take and they didn't.

Dropping a ball onto the foot of a player running in the opposite direction and seeing it bend inside the post for an own goal? A ball going towards the sideline hitting the standing leg of a player and going into the net?

The Dubs werent let play yesterday because they were up against a very good team who tactically set up perfectly.

Dropping a ball onto the foot of a player running in the opposite direction and seeing it bend inside the post for an own goal? A ball going towards the sideline hitting the standing leg of a player and going into the net?

The Dubs werent let play yesterday because they were up against a very good team who tactically set up perfectly.

Looked more like the rain to me, to be honest, but I am no expert.

Looked like Dublin didn't have a game plan prepared for that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

The first one was a fluke, Brogan mi**** it. The second goal was different. The ball from Connolly was brilliant, and should have resulted in a goal. The handling from Rock was "gash". He should have scored himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mayo can improve all they want but if Dublin play near their best they'll win. That's the problem for Mayo, they need Dublin to not get their game going.

If dublin are let play their best
    If Dubkin are let get their game going
    Ya would swear mayo have no effect on whether Dubkin will play well or not
    As for the weather ..........I think it affected both teams equally. Aidan o Shea and Andy Moran in the first half alone spilled greasy ball when one one after catching high balls in

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Past30Now wrote: »
    The first one was a fluke, Brogan mi**** it. The second goal was different. The ball from Connolly was brilliant, and should have resulted in a goal. The handling from Rock was "gash". He should have scored himself.

miss hit missing an s causes mi****

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Jesus. The arrogance beggars belief.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you think that everything going on was just Dublin not playing well, or do you think that the Mayo backs are actually alright? You are aware that Dublin's forwards haven't been scoring much all year, right? Yesterday wasn't exactly anything different, and add in the fact that they were up against the best set of backs that they could play in the country, and you'd have to fancy more of the same on Saturday week.

And then throw in the idea that we're praying for rain in Mayo, ah yeah of course, the conditions didn't suit Dublin. Poor Dublin. I'd remind you that AOS and Moran made a lot of ball stick in the full forward line yesterday, and a dry day would reap bigger rewards. Dublin didn't even kick the ball into the full forward line yesterday, content to have Kilkenny pretending he was some sort of playmaking genius by going nowhere.

I'm hoping you know more about rugby.

Ah stop, the best prepared team of all time didnt foresee any rain. In Ireland. In September. You listening to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I think it was more than the rain to be honest. Though questions had to be asked, why were the Dublin forwards slipping and sliding all over the ground? Blades?

The individual decision making yesterday was poor. There were opportunities to take easy points, fisting over. On two occasions Rock was unmarked in the box waiting for a pass and instead a shot was ballooned wide.

Rock was missing everything! We should have had more points there.

I agree Mayo turned up and done alot right, not a perfect game but near perfect. They prevented the Dublin forward line scoring while maintaining an attacking gameplan without the need of a blanket defence , I'd call that a good Mayo performance, was it their best performance? We'll see.

It can only get better for the Dublin team, surely?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I disagree with the whole “6 point lead” thing, and “freakish goals”. 9 times out of 10, Dublin would have scored goals from those 2 positions if they were replicated.
    It’s lazy to just suggest that they were handed to Dublin. There was an element of luck alright, but for the first one, once Fenton got in behind, it had goal written all over it. And the second one was from the excellent pass from Connolly. If Rock had held on to the ball, it also was destined for the net.

• Advertisement

Past30Now wrote: »

It was a great ball from Connolly. But it was dropped and possession lost. In fact, the last Dublin player to touch it had touched it away from the goal. A complete freak goal and, given the goal a few minutes earlier, desperately unlucky.

Blud wrote: »
    Jesus. The arrogance beggars belief.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you think that everything going on was just Dublin not playing well, or do you think that the Mayo backs are actually alright? You are aware that Dublin's forwards haven't been scoring much all year, right? Yesterday wasn't exactly anything different, and add in the fact that they were up against the best set of backs that they could play in the country, and you'd have to fancy more of the same on Saturday week.

And then throw in the idea that we're praying for rain in Mayo, ah yeah of course, the conditions didn't suit Dublin. Poor Dublin. I'd remind you that AOS and Moran made a lot of ball stick in the full forward line yesterday, and a dry day would reap bigger rewards. Dublin didn't even kick the ball into the full forward line yesterday, content to have Kilkenny pretending he was some sort of playmaking genius by going nowhere.

I'm hoping you know more about rugby.

I am not a dub.

I think Mayo played well but not well enough to beat Dublin on the day. And when you are trying to kill a king you don't miss when the opportunity presents itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

What I learned...
    GAA Umpires are still blind as ever.
    Mayo have a superb survival instinct but still lack the killer instinct (this might change on Oct 1)
    The Dubs are not invincible and do not like teams going toe-to-toe with them.
    The Mayo team is just as fit and strong as Dublin.
    Croke Park is slippier/slicker/faster than all other pitches on a wet day.
    Aidan O'Shea needs to show maturity. His long range point attempt in closing minutes was embarassing.
    The much vaunted Dublin starting forwards score 2 points from play in 79 minutes.
    O'Connor a much better free taker than Rock.
    The replay involves 2 good teams with known flaws - it's anyones game now. May the best team win.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I disagree with the whole “6 point lead” thing, and “freakish goals”. 9 times out of 10, Dublin would have scored goals from those 2 positions if they were replicated.
    It’s lazy to just suggest that they were handed to Dublin. There was an element of luck alright, but for the first one, once Fenton got in behind, it had goal written all over it. And the second one was from the excellent pass from Connolly. If Rock had held on to the ball, it also was destined for the net.

Both Dublin players made their play and missed. It's very simple. The goals came because Mayo players were unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Both Dublin players made their play and missed. It's very simple. The goals came because Mayo players were unlucky.

The reason the ball was in the area for both goals was due to very good Dublin moves - Fentons run & Connollys pass. But the way the ball bounced in there was unlucky for Mayo, particularly the Boyle one. Personally, I thought McLoughlin should have been able to react quicker to the ball that came off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Ah stop, the best prepared team of all time didnt foresee any rain. In Ireland. In September. You listening to yourself?

And chances are it'll be raining for the replay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Stoner wrote: »
    The same Diarmuid who broke Rory O'Carrolls nose in the first game off the ball caught on camera but played both games?

Cooper and SOS were at it SOS reacted and threw him to the ground and got sent off. That's SOS fault Cooper did not run to the ref

McCarthy has himself to blame for getting his card today but nobody played up to the ref for SOSs card last year that was his own fault all Cooper did was push him

Calm down with the breaking players legs over reaction. Have a look at Johnny Coopers face after the 2013 game he gets no change from Mayo. As discussed Diarmiud is no angel and nobody tried to break anyone's legs or neck as mentioned by another poster

No mention of Boyle staying on the field either with his antics today and the body check on John Small only getting a yellow he was subbed straight after it the Mayo line knew he was blessed to still be on the pitch if you want to talk about a mouthy players like Cooper check out Boyle he spent the day in people's faces again and running in on any controversy he could swinging out of players looking to start fights

Believe me whatever you feel about Cooper you have a beauty in Boyle in your own team. So if the Mayo lads need grinds Boyle can teach them.

Ah would you whist with your bellyaching, I'm not from Mayo but I can see that Dublin got away with blue murder last year and yesterday. You allege off camera incidents. Well the captured-on-camera savage attempted leg break by Jonny Cooper on D O'Connor last year should have had led to a lengthy ban for Cooper but absolutely nothing was done. For the penalty in the drawn game last year, Philly McMahon was captured-on-camera raining down repeated punches (even after the whistle had gone) on the head of Colm Boyle who was trapped on the ground underneath him and he should have missed the replay but we know from the Diarmuid Connolly fiasco that Dublin don't accept any disciplinary measures as they believe they should only apply to others. Dubs whinge about their blue-eyed-boy Connolly being picked on because the gloryhunting showpony is flaky and can be got at but when Cooper is picking fights to get opponents in trouble it's all grand? McCarthy was unlucky in the sense that four or five of his Dublin teammates deserved the line more than him especially McAuley who should have got black before the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The reason the ball was in the area for both goals was due to very good Dublin moves.

Yes, that is not being denied. But Dublin were finished with both moves and they missed. Mayo put the ball in the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If Mayo had not got that late equaliser, and lost by 1 point after conceding two own goals, they really would start to believe they're cursed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

jon1981 wrote: »
    I think it was more than the rain to be honest. Though questions had to be asked, why were the Dublin forwards slipping and sliding all over the ground? Blades?

The individual decision making yesterday was poor. There were opportunities to take easy points, fisting over. On two occasions Rock was unmarked in the box waiting for a pass and instead a shot was ballooned wide.

Rock was missing everything! We should have had more points there.

I agree Mayo turned up and done alot right, not a perfect game but near perfect. They prevented the Dublin forward line scoring while maintaining an attacking gameplan without the need of a blanket defence , I'd call that a good Mayo performance, was it their best performance? We'll see.

It can only get better for the Dublin team, surely?!

I have said for a long time that Dublin are a good team in an awful era of teams.
    Mayo are just about their equal over the last 10 years. I dont see Dublin improving much if at all the next day. Rock does what Rock has done against Mayo and that is go missing. Flynn is gone, Brogan is gone and McAuley is gone. I really hope Gavin sticks with them.
    Mayo have every chance in 2 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement