Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Kauto wrote: »
    Mayo are just about their equal over the last 10 years. I dont see Dublin improving much if at all the next day.

There has been much rubbish written but surely this is a wind up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

AGC wrote: »
    There has been much rubbish written but surely this is a wind up?!

Accepted Mayo cant get over the line in finals but very little between them in any encounter.

Accepted Mayo cant get over the line in finals but very little between them in any encounter.

And you don't see Dublin improving?

That is as bad I have seen Dublin play in a long time. A couple of changes in the forward line would be expected. Them not improving on yesterday would be the surprise of the year!

Ticket prices for replay confirmed by the GAA. €60 stand, €30 for the Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Taking the two lucky goals out of the equation, that's a whole six point deficit dubin have to make up. The game is mayos to lose at this stage. Only mayo can beat themselves now.

• Advertisement

Ted111 wrote: »
    Taking the two lucky goals out of the equation, that's a whole six point deficit dubin have to make up. The game is mayos to lose at this stage. Only mayo can beat themselves now.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That is as bad I have seen Dublin play in a long time. A couple of changes in the forward line would be expected. Them not improving on yesterday would be the surprise of the year!

If it was the case that Dublin made many mistakes, kicking wide after wide, dropping the ball, overcarrying, bad hand-passing, then I’d say, yeah – they can only improve.
    But yesterday was more a case of Mayo denying the Dublin forwards space and possession. That is not necessarily bad play by Dublin. And not necessarily something that will be different in 2 weeks time. The experience and confidence gained by Mayo yesterday should not be underestimated. I don’t think there will be anything extra from Brogan, Connolly, Rock, McMenamin, Kilkenny, Flynn. They didn’t show anything yesterday that they were just having a bad day at the office, and that they could ramp it up. I’d be more fearful of Paddy Andrews.

Dublin may well improve but huge room for Mayo to improve also. he wont drop Brogan and Flynn.

Dublin played a very poor Kerry team in the semi. Mayo are a different level to Kerry. The arrogance shown by a number of Dublin supporters and the rubbish written in the papers for the last two weeks was astounding. There will be very little between them again in the replay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Dublin played a very poor Kerry team in the semi. Mayo are a different level to Kerry.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ticket details announced :
    The GAA has confirmed arrangements for the replay of the GAA Football All-Ireland final between Dublin and Mayo.
    The match will be played at Croke Park on Saturday, October 1st with a 5pm throw-in.

Tickets for the Stands will be available for the reduced price of €60.
    Admission to the Dineen/Hill16 terrace will be for the reduced price of €30.

In addition, there will be a limited number of €10 tickets available for Under 16s from the competing counties only.

There will be no tickets on general sale. Tickets will be distributed to clubs via our county committees and to 6,700 GAA Season Ticket holders from competing counties (including 1300 juveniles).
    http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/ticket-price-reduction-for-all-ireland-final-replay/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

After a night of porter and a bit of a kip I'll give my thoughts on the game.

I've not yet watched the Sunday Game or any replay so I'm going with what I saw from the lower Cusack (humble brag ;) )

- The goals Dublin got had a bit of luck about them. Especially the first one. But the second one would have gone in even if Rock hadn't dropped the ball. I think it was Fenton who was coming in behind for the loose ball and I think if it hadn't hit off the Mayo player, Fenton would have got it.

- I'm going to have blue tinted glasses regarding the referees performance but I thought he was incredibly out of his depth. Cynical fouls from both teams getting unpunished. Aidan O'Shea should have walked at least twice. Mind you, so should a few of ours McCauley in particular.

Just on the Connolly incident. The ball was at the other end but out of the corner of my eye I see 3 Mayo lads surround Connolly who at this stage had his arms out wide with a "what the hell am I supposed to do here?", saw him throw the arms to get rid of your man's grip then I'm pretty sure I saw their keeper legging it up to Connolly and throwing a bit of a dig.

As I say, I've not watched the Sunday Game or a replay so not sure if it has been addressed although I am seeing that Connolly threw punches. If that's the case then they're both as bad as each other.

- Dean Rock was abysmal yesterday. He wasn't the only one but the amount of makeable scores he should have gotten was criminal.

- Not taking scores and trying to walk the ball into the net was an absolute killer and when it takes 30 odd minutes to get your first score in the first half and 15 minutes into the second half you knew something was up.

- I thought Mayo played their game plan very well. They stifled and pressured Dublin big time. I got yapping to a Mayo fella after the game and I told him I was impressed how quickly Mayo managed to shrink the 5 point lead with ease.

I don't think they did a whole lot wrong on the day but like I say - Dub hat on - I thought Dublin were as poor as I've seen them in a while and that's in part to do with bad individual performances and things not clicking. And look, Mayo played their part in that too.

The worry I would have if I was a Mayo supporter is that they never really gained a sizable lead at crucial moments in the game. I think I'm right in saying that they're biggest lead was 2 points and that was early in the first half before those two goals.

----

Overall, it was a real mixed bag of a game. To tell you the truth, I thought the atmosphere (from the Dubs anyway) was fairly poor. I was excited and nervous making the walk to Croker but to tell you the truth, I'm still feeling exhausted from the Kerry game in the semi final. Something in the air anyway that was fairly filled with tension.

I've seen people talking about the weather. I can't even factor in the conditions because at the end of the day both teams are throwing around the same bar of soap so to speak. May not be easy but it's not like they've never played in the rain before.

As for the replay. I'm not really thinking of it too much right now. Still all very 'meh' about the whole thing to tell you the truth.

Do I think Dublin will play as poorly again? - Probably not.
    Do I think Mayo will be able to retain their intensity/gameplan - Absolutely.

It'll be an interesting replay. You'd imagine Dublin are going to change their gameplan but I honestly don't think Mayo need to change too much of theirs.

I'm sure when I watch the game again at some stage, I'll have a different outlook on the game.

---

Anyway, back to the real issue.... What Dublin/Mayo XV would you select?

;)

If it was the case that Dublin made many mistakes, kicking wide after wide, dropping the ball, overcarrying, bad hand-passing, then I’d say, yeah – they can only improve.
    But yesterday was more a case of Mayo denying the Dublin forwards space and possession. That is not necessarily bad play by Dublin. And not necessarily something that will be different in 2 weeks time. The experience and confidence gained by Mayo yesterday should not be underestimated. I don’t think there will be anything extra from Brogan, Connolly, Rock, McMenamin, Kilkenny, Flynn. They didn’t show anything yesterday that they were just having a bad day at the office, and that they could ramp it up. I’d be more fearful of Paddy Andrews.

What confidence gained by Mayo? Mayo brought Dublin to a replay last year. They are a top side. Well capable of beating anyone.

Rock kicked poor wides from frees which he hasn't done this year, I think Dublin had 3 tame efforts which dropped short, Brogan had 2 erratic efforts which ballooned, O'Gara scuffed one along the ground in a scorable position, Kilkenny overcarried when in a very good scoring position, Dublin player didn't score for the first 30 minutes and the first 15 in the second half.....I think there is plenty to improve on and I am sure Mayo will feel the same.

How can you say Rock looked as he has all year?? He was excellent against Kerry and brutal yesterday, McMeniman the same. What game were you watching?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If Mayo had not got that late equaliser, and lost by 1 point after conceding two own goals, they really would start to believe they're cursed.

They are obviously cursed, have you not been reading the posts from the Mayo supporters? It goes something like this:

"Mayo were a far far better team than Dublin yesterday, unlucky to concede two own-goals, hampered by a bad referee who should have sent at least three other Dubs to the line as well as awarding more frees to Mayo, Mayo had all the forwards and the Dublin defence was weak."

I mean, when you read it, you have to conclude that they must have been cursed not to win the game by at least ten points. What they are really afraid of is that Mayo played about 20% above themselves and Dublin 20% below themselves and that this won't happen again in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

Mayo were 3-4 points a better team than Dublin yesterday. The game was a draw because luck was on Dublin’s side – they got two fluky goals and Mayo converted none of their goal chances.

I think for the next game that Dublin will attack from their half-back line as their forward line in isolation will not be enough to break down Mayo’s defense. I expect Dublin to score much more, 17+, but this will also leave gaps in their defense which Mayo may have a chance to exploit for goals. I don’t expect Mayo to crumble in the last 10 minutes as they did in the replay last year as they have two weeks to recover and Dublin superior facilities won’t come into play as much.

Dublin may well improve but huge room for Mayo to improve also. he wont drop Brogan and Flynn.

Dublin played a very poor Kerry team in the semi. Mayo are a different level to Kerry. The arrogance shown by a number of Dublin supporters and the rubbish written in the papers for the last two weeks was astounding. There will be very little between them again in the replay.

The 1 certain change I would expect is Andrews in for Kev Mc, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mannion in for Bernard but more unlikely. I don't see Flynn being dropped.

Any arrogance shown by fans won't be inside the Dublin camp, quite clear from Gavin over the past couple of years he just doesn't stand for it.

Fans will spout rubbish before during and after but won't make a blind bit of difference to either side on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

What confidence gained by Mayo? Mayo brought Dublin to a replay last year. They are a top side. Well capable of beating anyone.

Except that when it comes to the crunch, they haven't in semi-final after another and final after another.

Mayo are a very good side and unlucky to be playing in an era when there has been the best Donegal team ever, a great Kerry team and the best Dublin team ever. That doesn't take away from the fact that up until now, they have always fallen short in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Godge wrote: »
    They are obviously cursed, have you not been reading the posts from the Mayo supporters? It goes something like this:

"Mayo were a far far better team than Dublin yesterday, unlucky to concede two own-goals, hampered by a bad referee who should have sent at least three other Dubs to the line as well as awarding more frees to Mayo, Mayo had all the forwards and the Dublin defence was weak."

I mean, when you read it, you have to conclude that they must have been cursed not to win the game by at least ten points. What they are really afraid of is that Mayo played about 20% above themselves and Dublin 20% below themselves and that this won't happen again in the replay.

:pac: rattled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I like the mantra that Mayo can't improve themselves whilst still play the exact same level of pressure and physical encounter style football that sedates Dublin's style. Diarmuid O Connor has room for improvement, Seamy O Shea also, and AOS has room for improvement.

The confidence Mayo will have gained from that game yesterday is brilliant. First All Ireland they havent lost in 65 years and the resilience and composure and battle they showed to peak at this time of year is something for Dublin to be very worried about.

Dublin will improve, but the frustration from yesterday will be something that may get into their heads. Great mental strength in that Dublin team also but 4 points from play, zero points for almost half the match, its startling what happened to them.

Dublin will be favourites and rightfully so but Gavin will have a lot to think about also, more than he has ever to think about going into a game.

Mayo are in a better position going into this game than Dublin are and if there was any sort of mindset in the players of anything lower than 100% confidence in their ability to take Dublin before yesterday, it is surely gone now. I reckon every Mayo player coming off that field has complete confidence that they can finish the job.

They clearly are a team that don't buy into the "hard luck Mayo" , "weak minded", "never get over the line" mentality that most of the rest ofthe country have of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Funny looking punch

Nothing funny about it. Closed fist, contact with the face and top of the head when on the ground. Hes a moron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I like the mantra that Mayo can't improve themselves whilst still play the exact same level of pressure and physical encounter style football that sedates Dublin's style. Diarmuid O Connor has room for improvement, Seamy O Shea also, and AOS has room for improvement.

The confidence Mayo will have gained from that game yesterday is brilliant. First All Ireland they havent lost in 65 years and the resilience and composure and battle they showed to peak at this time of year is something for Dublin to be very worried about.

Dublin will improve, but the frustration from yesterday will be something that may get into their heads. Great mental strength in that Dublin team also but 4 points from play, zero points for almost half the match, its startling what happened to them.

Dublin will be favourites and rightfully so but Gavin will have a lot to think about also, more than he has ever to think about going into a game.

Mayo are in a better position going into this game than Dublin are and if there was any sort of mindset in the players of anything lower than 100% confidence in their ability to take Dublin before yesterday, it is surely gone now. I reckon every Mayo player coming off that field has complete confidence that they can finish the job.

They clearly are a team that don't buy into the "hard luck Mayo" , "weak minded", "never get over the line" mentality that most of the rest ofthe country have of them.

They were here before in 1996 against Meath after first game was drawn, so they didn't lose that one either but did go on to loose the replay, more noted for its huge fight between teams at the hill than the match proper.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nothing funny about it. Closed fist, contact with the face and top of the head when on the ground. Hes a moron

There was no closed fist contact with his head.

There was no closed fist contact with his head.

There absolutely is when Keegan is down on the ground. Its not clean, a glancing blow, but it's a definite punch. Keegan's no saint, but Connolly is filth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They were here before in 1996 against Meath after first game was drawn, so they didn't lose that one either but did go on to loose the replay, more noted for its huge fight between teams at the hill than the match proper.

sorry I meant to qualify the Meath game as a game they effectively "lost" in a roundabout kind of way. Completely different circumstances as they threw that game away, think they were 6 or 7 points up into the second half and 4 points or so going into the last ten minutes.

Yes by literal facts you are correct but in a sporting context they lost the game that day.

Anyway, all these past results are spurious, as I am sure you will agree in that we are probably dealing with the most mentally strong Mayo team ever. How they have handled all these narrow disappointments and just kept coming back time after time.

ps, lets not get into the whole "facts are facts" pedantic rigramole! (just in case you are one of those type of posters (not saying you are!) )
    I am sure you get my point re the Meath draw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

There absolutely is when Keegan is down on the ground. Its not clean, a glancing blow, but it's a definite punch. Keegan's no saint, but Connolly is filth

Would you go way with that utter nonsense! Given the harassment Connolly has to put up with... he is taking far more abuse/bullying than he dishes out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Irrespective of the handbags, I think it's an awful shame that Keegan is told to follow Connolly all over Croke Park to quieten and annoy him. Keegan was like a limpet on him yesterday and ignored most of the play. They are 2 fabulous footballers, let them play football. Such a waste, these negative/scared/underhand tactics. Keegan can be a game changer if left to his own devices.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Would you go way with that utter nonsense! Given the harassment Connolly has to put up with... he is taking far more abuse/bullying than he dishes out!

He gets abuse, I've acknowledged that in the past. An awful lot of players too. Few people react in such a moronic way. I hate seeing him play for Dublin because I think his volatility is so huge. I think he's a great player too, but he is dirty. There's no defending what he gets away with most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Hard to sum up that game really, but from a Mayo perspective:

Clarke made some great saves, but has serious work to do on his kickouts over the next couple of weeks. Very nearly cost us the game, but kept us in it at the same time.

Harrison - came of age, was very good in tracking runs, had Brogan in his pocket.

Vaughan - kicked two good scores and worked like a dog. Typical of him really, expect the same next week.

Higgins - cleaned Rock out of it, but was poor on the ball. Lost possession a couple of times and ballooned one silly shot, room for serious improvement.

Keegan - sacrificed himself, Connolly must hate him.

Boyle - was poor I thought, had a strange first half and could have been pulled earlier. Looked too excitable or something.

Durcan- excellent as well, was a big part in keeping the Dublin half forward line out of it.

SOS - poor, and won't be as poor again. All the talk of the improving that Dublin can do ignores that we were cleaned out at midfield, and are unlikely to be as bad again there.

Parsons - lost Fenton too often. Contributed in his own way, but can do a lot better.

McLoughlin - OK, covered space well as sweeper but at the same time it was Small who was left free and ended up doing some damage.

AOS - started off OK and won some ball, but didnt have any impact really. Got on some ball in the second half when he came deep, but that shot near the end is borderline drop-him material.

DOC - ran himself into the ground, but again can do better. His stamina just doesn't match his direct running game so naturally fades in the second half, but is still a great man to run at a Dublin defence that doesn't like it.

Doherty - did well, proved a good link player and got through some amount of work.

Moran - for all th talk about how good Cooper was for Dublin, Moran still kicked 2 from play and won a lot of ball n the full forward line. Having a serious year.

COC - pure class. Everything he did was right. The comparisons with Rock on here before the game proved laughable.

Overall, much to improve on but a lot to take from the game too. Much happier now than before the game, much more confident in our chances. Need the bodies to recover for a week, then go again.

On another note, best wishes to Regan in recovering, looked in a bad way coming off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

There absolutely is when Keegan is down on the ground.

Two years ago they were able to rip connollys shirt off.
    Leroy falls to the ground in a failed effort to rip his shirt yesterday.
    He mustn't be eatin enough steak. Maybe it's turning 30 years of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

jon1981 wrote: »

If Connolly hadn't been the gloryhunting bully on his own team mate, Kilkenny, with the line ball yesterday you'd be celebrating another All Ireland now. Ask Ryan McHugh or Keegan himself about Connolly's antics. Of course, no "harrassment" ever by the likes of McMahon, Cooper, McCarthy etc ? Is eye-gouging and biting "harrassment" or just 'proper man's game' stuff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement