Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cjmc wrote: »
    That first shot was going wide , no doubt at sll

Watch it again, brogan kicked it on the ground but a mayo defender got a foot to it which deflected it away from goal and another O'Loughlin ( I think )deflected it back in

While you're watching it note a few seconds earlier that connolly is grabbed and thrown to the ground and then when he gets back up is grabbed around the head and pulled down again. Two yellows, a black, a straight red, take your pick but neither Lane and the linesman showed any interest,

Unlike Cillians diving :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Kerry effectively did beat Dublin but their 16th player ensured they won it.

16th player - what is this about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mrsmum wrote: »

Just plain ol hatred😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

The ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Mrsmum wrote: »

Just business as usual. Kerry crying like babies about losing a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rightwing wrote: »
    Are Dublin believing their own hype?. They'll never be as bad again stuff. Yes, they will never again be as bad v inferior rubbish opposition from leinster. But they weren't exactly buzzing v a limited kerry team either. It appears there's very little between the top few teams. Where Dublin excel is punishing the likes of kildare, who are making up numbers, mere fixture fillers.

And everyone else on the championship for 2 years.

I make today 28 unbeaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Dublin can be very thankful for the black card incident in that Paddy Andrews arrived on the scene just in time. Let this be clear Dublin are no world beaters and Mayo should have beaten them, Kerry effectively did beat Dublin but their 16th player ensured they won it. Even if Dublin wins in two weeks time the era of this Dublin team is coming to an end, alot of big names with high mileage and nothing coming underage. Diarmuid Connolly trying to kick an insurance point with seconds left, when he should have passed the ball, like who did he think he was; Maurice Fitzgerald?

Here in the Kingdom of Kerry we salute our brave heroes who landed our second three-in-a-row of Minor titles and we have some great talent coming through and I predict this ageing and decrepit Dublin team to make the Final again next year only to face a new young and rejuvenated Kerry team will will do to them what Mayo should have done today.

Today shows Dublin are no world beaters and were an average team at best, Tipperary would have beaten them today had they squeezed past Mayo. I'm thinking we will see Dublin's old friend Joe McQuillan appointed ref for the replay because when a helping hand is needed the GAA will give it.

What a bitter post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Oh right tks.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    What a bitter post!

Its the repeated beatings kerry have taken at dublins hands, it has psychological consequences for a lot of kerrymen, some of them are not right in themselves anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Score?

surely you could have just googled it!!!!

2-9 to 0-15 i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pay hike for whichever lad worked out that it would take 7 mins.

Have Dublin appealed the amount of injury time yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Have Dublin appealed the amount of injury time yet?

Yeah.

Report sent into the CCCCCCCC about COCs equaliser too. It's just not on. Who do they think they are expecting us to have a replay. Kerry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

on a slightly unrelated note what is the story with Michael Lyster and that culchie panel with their comments "lets hope Mayo win" this is pathetic , they are supposed to be impartial and should not be saying sh*t lke this

It's so ridiculous that they have everybody there and wont play an extra half hour. Nothing but greed
    KyranW wrote: »
    Replays are a fooking joke, play it to a finish FFS.

Couldn't disagree more. If not the best most idealised Jack O'Connell/Séan O'Neill/Seán Purcell football from some supposed golden age, this was great entertainment today - as the expressions, screams and engrossed kids and adults in my room testified.

People said the same "There shouldn't be replays/Greedy GAA" nonsense in the four Meath-Dublin matches in 1991. I attended them all and they are still the most fantastic games of football I've ever witnessed. Equally as good was the unforgetable atmosphere between Dublin and Meath supporters. Just brillant banter, craic and huge respect. If the begrudgers and "Grab All Association" drones in the summer of 1991 had their way we would never have those lifelong memories that the three games gave hundreds of thousands of us.

Equally today - for all its pain, misses and ecstasy - was fantastic to watch. I want more, and I just hope that a new generation of Mayo and Dublin people can have at least one summer as memorable as 1991 was for me.

A replay is the fairest result. And I'm delighted that we will have another 6 or 7 million euro being brought in to support the games in all 32 counties (the way some people go on you'd swear the GAA was a private corporation pillaging Ireland of millions and handing it to private hedge funds in Bermuda). It's a win-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

jonnny68 wrote: »
    on a slightly unrelated note what is the story with Michael Lyster and that culchie panel with their comments "lets hope Mayo win" this is pathetic , they are supposed to be impartial and should not be saying sh*t lke this

I can live with that.
    What annoys me is that they have 3 lads who are all retired for 20+ years. They've never even managed in the modern era.

One old boy from a past era is grand to get a different view, but a serious lack of diversity on the panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Replays in Championship finals have been the norm for as long as the GAA has been established. First one was 1894!!

Pretty sure they are not going to change a historic rule just because they feel a guilt trip about the money involved now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Replays in Championship finals have been the norm for as long as the GAA has been established. First one was 1894!!

Pretty sure they are not going to change a historic rule just because they feel a guilt trip about the money involved now!

I dont really get why people dont like them - who wouldnt want to watch another match between Dublin - Mayo! Has to be the best rivalry in the GAA at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I think Mayo shot their bolt today and that's that. Could be wrong, but by the end of that game I was willing Mayo to do it and they couldn't. Dublin didn't even deserve the draw today and I'm a Dub.

The next day out, I really feel Mayo will be found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Watching the match again now on TG4 - Keegan & McCauley were extremely lucky not to be black carded in the first half. Their 2 incidents were probably both more cynical than McCarthy's. It was interesting though that the black card call came from the linesman. Can McQuillan ref the replay? I think the reason the ref from the final doesnt do a replay is to ensure he doesnt bring any 'baggage' from that game.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I think Mayo shot their bolt today and that's that. Could be wrong, but by the end of that game I was willing Mayo to do it and they couldn't. Dublin didn't even deserve the draw today and I'm a Dub.

The next day out, I really feel Mayo will be found wanting.

I dunno, Mayo werent meant to even draw today. They were only up there for Dublin's coronation we were told. I think Mayo are capable of a much better performance. I cant help feeling that the occasion plays on them too much. it will be interesting the next day but i dont think there is much between these teams on any given day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I dunno, Mayo werent meant to even draw today. They were only up there for Dublin's coronation we were told. I think Mayo are capable of a much better performance. I cant help feeling that the occasion plays on them too much. it will be interesting the next day but i dont think there is much between these teams on any given day

I agree there's not much between them, but Mayo brought something different to the game today. It dominated and forced Dublin into a battle, that they managed not to lose. But the next day....

I dunno, Mayo werent meant to even draw today. They were only up there for Dublin's coronation we were told.

Who told you that? :confused:

I felt if the ref had a howler or Dublin massively misfired it would be Mayos day.

Both happened but Mayo still didn't win it, and they should have.

If it's an experienced ref for the replay and dublin have no injuries, then Mayo will have a hard day winning next time

Bambi wrote: »
    Who told you that? :confused:

I felt if the ref had a howler or Dublin massively misfired it would be Mayos day.

Both happened but Mayo still didn't win it, and they should have.

If it's an experienced ref for the replay and dublin have no injuries, then Mayo will have a hard day winning next time

Lets face it the media, pundits, journalists, and perhaps general public probably found it very hard to envisage a Mayo win given their finals history and how dominant Dublin have been the last few seasons.

Patww79 wrote: »

Dublin were poor ill agree. They just werent themselves. Was there perhaps too much expectation on them to win today? They got the rub of the green with the two o.g's. Its a more closer matchup then we think though even when both play at their best. Its a game of inches and opportunities i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Agreed. Just checking the odds for the replay, Dub still favs but not as strong as today, 4/9. Mayo favs with the 3 point handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Watching the match again now on TG4 - Keegan & McCauley were extremely lucky not to be black carded in the first half. Their 2 incidents were probably both more cynical than McCarthy's. It was interesting though that the black card call came from the linesman. Can McQuillan ref the replay? I think the reason the ref from the final doesnt do a replay is to ensure he doesnt bring any 'baggage' from that game.

McCauley should have got a straight red for that round the neck tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I really didnt think it was harsh. He clearly barged into O'Connor who didnt have the ball. If he didnt take O'Connor out of it, then O'Connor could have pressured Kilkenny who was on the ball.

I think in fairness to McCarthy he could have put O'Connor in the stand but tried to stop himself. This black card is a disaster and Lane had no bottle to dish out cards when they were needed. If the rules were applied correctly 5 Mayo and 4 Dublin players would have been black carded, which could ruin a game.
    tomwaits48 wrote: »
    The anti Dublin commentary was hilarious

Nothing hilarious about it!! Its a joke. Carney is a disgrace. Totally anti-Dublin.
    Heffoman wrote: »
    For all the winding up of Connolly he gets away with an awful lot. Got away with a fairly obvious black card later on then struck Lee Keegan a few times in the face in their tussle.

He was right to slap Keegan, did you see Connollys jersey?. People give out about Connolly but Keegan is a bit thuggish and getting away with murder over the last few years. Connolly like other good ball players does not get any protection from the officials, like Andy Moran and Cillian O'Connor. Keegan should have been black carded before Dublin goal and Lane let a few Mayo lads away with blatant checks. A few Dubs got away with it also. Connolly could have got a black card also but Lane hadnt the bottle to give it to him after Keegan had pulled him down earlier. So just forget the black card. Connolly for his weaknesses is class, Keegan has not the ability to out play him so resorts to the sly digs .

The game as a spectacle was great. The errors and turnovers made it. Mayo I felt when they levelled would go on and win.
    Thought Cooper was superb today. I have had no faith in him at all but the last 2 games have shown how good he is. Johnny Small was also very good and probably Dublins best player. Fenton and McAuley tried hard. Agree with the post that Dublin from 10-15 were very poor. Can they be as bad again up front? I dont think so.

For Mayo, Parsons was decent, worked really hard. Keith Higgins was good also. O'Connors equaliser was class. Shows how good he actually is. McLoughlin very good early in the game.

As for A.O'S rumours are that he will be issued with his own cards and be in charge of the replay;). He was running after the referee moaning while Dublin came walking out with the ball and scored. Few Mayo lads will be reffing soon by the looks of things. Thought is was disgusting to see Mayo lads running trying to get lads black carded. No class in that sort of stuff at all. Hate to see any player doing this.

The replay...... I dont think Mayo have shot their bolt at all. When they play direct football they can match Dublin we have seen that enough now. They are a powerful group of players with 6 or 7 lads who can do serious damage. Will Dublin be as poor up front again? I dont think so. Flynn, McMenamen and Brogan were not good today and Rock missed a few chances. If they are as bad up front Dublin will be in bigger trouble than today. I hope Dublin win but like before today I felt Mayo could put it up to Dublin big time and they did. Not sure if they can do it twice. Who will recover best? Who has picked up an injury?

Dublin by 2 in replay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Rightwing wrote: »
    Agreed. Just checking the odds for the replay, Dub still favs but not as strong as today, 4/9. Mayo favs with the 3 point handicap.

Mayo were 10/3 at 3pm today. They are 5/2 for replay which is strange but apart from the 2 soft goals, I thought they had the measure of Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement