Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

What was Cillian O'Connor complaining to the referee about just before the final whistle? It looked a clear free to Dublin - the Mayo just drive straight into him. I didnt see why O'Connor was getting into such a tizzy over it.

LeoB wrote: »
    I think in fairness to McCarthy he could have put O'Connor in the stand but tried to stop himself. This black card is a disaster and Lane had no bottle to dish out cards when they were needed. If the rules were applied correctly 5 Mayo and 4 Dublin players would have been black carded, which could ruin a game.

Nothing hilarious about it!! Its a joke. Carney is a disgrace. Totally anti-Dublin.

He was right to slap Keegan, did you see Connollys jersey?. People give out about Connolly but Keegan is a bit thuggish and getting away with murder over the last few years. Connolly like other good ball players does not get any protection from the officials, like Andy Moran and Cillian O'Connor. Keegan should have been black carded before Dublin goal and Lane let a few Mayo lads away with blatant checks. A few Dubs got away with it also. Connolly could have got a black card also but Lane hadnt the bottle to give it to him after Keegan had pulled him down earlier. So just forget the black card. Connolly for his weaknesses is class, Keegan has not the ability to out play him so resorts to the sly digs .

The game as a spectacle was great. The errors and turnovers made it. Mayo I felt when they levelled would go on and win.
    Thought Cooper was superb today. I have had no faith in him at all but the last 2 games have shown how good he is. Johnny Small was also very good and probably Dublins best player. Fenton and McAuley tried hard. Agree with the post that Dublin from 10-15 were very poor. Can they be as bad again up front? I dont think so.

For Mayo, Parsons was decent, worked really hard. Keith Higgins was good also. O'Connors equaliser was class. Shows how good he actually is. McLoughlin very good early in the game.

As for A.O'S rumours are that he will be issued with his own cards and be in charge of the replay;). He was running after the referee moaning while Dublin came walking out with the ball and scored. Few Mayo lads will be reffing soon by the looks of things. Thought is was disgusting to see Mayo lads running trying to get lads black carded. No class in that sort of stuff at all. Hate to see any player doing this.

The replay...... I dont think Mayo have shot their bolt at all. When they play direct football they can match Dublin we have seen that enough now. They are a powerful group of players with 6 or 7 lads who can do serious damage. Will Dublin be as poor up front again? I dont think so. Flynn, McMenamen and Brogan were not good today and Rock missed a few chances. If they are as bad up front Dublin will be in bigger trouble than today. I hope Dublin win but like before today I felt Mayo could put it up to Dublin big time and they did. Not sure if they can do it twice. Who will recover best? Who has picked up an injury?

Dublin by 2 in replay

Yeah, I agree. When I saw it first in realtime on TV, I thought he could be in trouble. It would have been interesting if he started dishing out black cards. Just after watching the match back on TG4 again and there were a number of other more cyncial incidents that probably warranted black cards under current rule. Then if he applied the rule, we would all be whinging that the ref ruined the match (even though its the players who do the fouling). It does make me wonder about the future of the black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What was Cillian O'Connor complaining to the referee about just before the final whistle? It looked a clear free to Dublin - the Mayo just drive straight into him. I didnt see why O'Connor was getting into such a tizzy over it.

It doesn't take much for Cillian to be looking for something but there must have been something off the ball as the linesman was brought in.

PARlance wrote: »
    It doesn't take much for Cillian to be looking for something but there must have been something off the ball as the linesman was brought in.

Dont think there was anything off the ball. The linesman was facing that incident while the ref had turned away. That was what the black card was for.

Personally, I think it was a harsh black. And if it hadnt been given, I doubt anybody would even remember the incident. However, I also believe that McCarthy could have avoided O'Connor if he wanted to and there was an element of cynicism in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The few Dublin fans whinging about Mayo apparently being cursed is hilarious.

How can something so harmless and jokey clearly wind up anybody, it's not even got anything to do with Dublin in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's Cillian O'Connor, whinging at refs is what he does.

As for the McCarthy black, O'Connor stepped into him and then went down like he'd been murdered, as per usual

I don't if it's noticeable that I don't have any time for Cillian. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair play to Mayo today.
    But I feel they missed a trick.
    Weather conditions suited Mayo (they are well used to that weather in the west) and Dublin are a footballing team.

The amount of Dublin players off form was shocking. Only a few emerged with credit Small/ Cian O'Sullivan and Paddy Andrews (paddy andrews in the first half) imo.

God knows what Aidan O'Shea was doing with that aimless final ball he played near the end.

Dublin cannot play any worse, Mayo cannot play much better (despite giving two goals away). The weather will be better surely?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dont think there was anything off the ball. The linesman was facing that incident while the ref had turned away. That was what the black card was for.

Personally, I think it was a harsh black. And if it hadnt been given, I doubt anybody would even remember the incident. However, I also believe that McCarthy could have avoided O'Connor if he wanted to and there was an element of cynicism in it.

You were talking about the incident in the final minute? I was, it looked like the linesman came in for that.

The black card was a very harsh one.

You were talking about the incident in the final minute?
    The black card was a very harsh one.

Sorry, got confused in my replies! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Mayo.jpg

dk-born1.gif

• Advertisement

Nonsense, McCauley should of been off a clear red. The ref saved Dublin with that decision. That could of been a life changing tackle, can't see other refs been as lenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I might be wrong but did he think the Dublin player picked the kickout straight off the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lets face it the media, pundits, journalists, and perhaps general public probably found it very hard to envisage a Mayo win given their finals history and how dominant Dublin have been the last few seasons.

All I was hearing all week was about what Mayo needed to do to beat this Dublin team :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Luckily no one will under estimate them again.
    No more of this under dog rubish.
    It's mayos to lose now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Played in college with Cillian O'Connor. He's an expert at winning frees. When you're on his side he's brilliant, if not, he's a cheat. He plays that fine line and works it fairly well. The boy knows how to win a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Maybe I'm the seeing it wrong but I thought McCarthys black was as clear cut as a black card can get. Yes COC made the most of it but what in the name of God was Mc thinking? The third man tackle is a black card offence, Mc knows that better than me and yet he ploughed into COC while it was his team in possession, crazy stuff tbh.
    Keegan should have gone aswell. But where do we stop.

True Dublin didn't play well on the whole but they weren't let play in fairness. After the semi we told dublin would have been out of sight if it was for two fluky kerry goals. What's to be said for today?

The truth is that this is a very good Dublin team,but their not the "Great" team that the media bandwagon would have us believe. There not as far ahead off the chasing pack as many would have us believe. They were second best today but came out with a draw which is a good sign of a team. But it has to be said that mayo were not at their best either and can improve allot the next day.

I had tenner on the draw at 10/1 so thanks COC from levelling things up.

I think all things considered that mayo will now see that the beast bleeds and if it bleeds? You can kill it.
    And I believe that is exactly what they will do. Mayo by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Dublin can be very thankful for the black card incident in that Paddy Andrews arrived on the scene just in time. Let this be clear Dublin are no world beaters and Mayo should have beaten them, Kerry effectively did beat Dublin but their 16th player ensured they won it. Even if Dublin wins in two weeks time the era of this Dublin team is coming to an end, alot of big names with high mileage and nothing coming underage. Diarmuid Connolly trying to kick an insurance point with seconds left, when he should have passed the ball, like who did he think he was; Maurice Fitzgerald?

Here in the Kingdom of Kerry we salute our brave heroes who landed our second three-in-a-row of Minor titles and we have some great talent coming through and I predict this ageing and decrepit Dublin team to make the Final again next year only to face a new young and rejuvenated Kerry team will will do to them what Mayo should have done today.

Today shows Dublin are no world beaters and were an average team at best, Tipperary would have beaten them today had they squeezed past Mayo. I'm thinking we will see Dublin's old friend Joe McQuillan appointed ref for the replay because when a helping hand is needed the GAA will give it.

Ha! You're still **** talking all these weeks after Kerry were put to the sword. Must still be hurtin!

Bambi wrote: »
    All I was hearing all week was about what Mayo needed to do to beat this Dublin team :confused:

And the general consensus was that Mayo would have to play out of their skin and it may still not be enough. That Dublin are in their prime whereas Mayo had gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

as well as mayo played, i find it hard to predict a win for them in two weeks time. if both teams played their best game, i still feel dublin are just a class above. a significantly more dynamic and well-rounded team. not to say mayo cant win, and there's nothing to say dublin will be able to get back to their best after that performance today....but there's no denying that they do have another couple of gears to go into, whereas mayo wont play much better than they did today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nonsense, McCauley should of been off a clear red. The ref saved Dublin with that decision. That could of been a life changing tackle, can't see other refs been as lenient.

There simply aren't enough of these :rolleyes: for that comment. Have a few though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Some offended Dubs on the Mayo thread. You would swear he killed a kitten and then went on to tell an 8 year old the truth about Santa.

best laugh all day,well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

I might be wrong but did he think the Dublin player picked the kickout straight off the ground?

Yep he picked it straight off the ground. Should have been a free in to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

I said it before the game. Mayo are more than a match for Dublin.
    Predicted Rock would crumble under pressure and right on cue.....
    Flynn and Brogan are past it.
    If the replay was this Sat you would have to fancy Dublin with their access to recovery baths etc and not a 3/4 hour bus journey home.
    Andrews and Mannion arethe only subs Dublin have of any worth. This so called great squad is a load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I wonder would Whelan give the others a chance to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Kauto wrote: »
    This so called great squad is a load of rubbish

Doesn't say much for mayo then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Watching tonight's analysis,it's very good,Ciaran Whelan in particular,along with Dessie Dolan and Tomas O'Se are giving a much more balanced and accurate view of the game than Spillane,O'Rourke and Brolly did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Just looking at The Sunday Game, the black card really needs to go. Just simply not possible to administer the rule.

They've missed the fact that McAuley hand tripped the Mayo player as well, and that's in the studio with replays from all angles! What chance has the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lots of black cards on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Ted111 wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for mayo then :D

A very good side. I'm saying the myth that they have a great bench is rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement