Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time 10th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Why do fellows with front wheel drive cars, put wider rims & tyres on the back? :rolleyes:
    I'm more wondering if the owner actually set the thing up that way or if there was a degree of "for the camera" going on.
    But I'm in an uncharitable mood at the moment. I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Gatling wrote: »
    That is a MBUS flip up sight from magpul I believe your actually looking at an Airsoft
    M4 S system or similar with magpul pistol grip ,clone ACOG and grippod handgrip

The piece on top of the ACOG is actually a piece of fiber optic for the cross hairs

So you reckon that's *another* airsoft piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you reckon that's *another* airsoft piece?

Yeah look at the far magazine it's plastic and you can see a horrible seam.

The crane stock ,the flip us sight,magpulls attached to the magazines all seen on most airsoft AR /M4's

Grizzly? And the others who post on here who own centerfire semiautos? Do any of you recognise that rifle or know the backstory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

jamo27 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a .223 semi auto, looking at the bolt carrier and the magazine size itself! The only illegal thing about this rifle is the 30 round mags! It's fairly tricked out alright,but different strokes for different blokes..just a scare tactic using the dreaded "black rifle"..

30 round magazines are not illegal for centre fire rifles.

Only rimfires (10) and shotguns (3) have a restriction on magazine capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunt using an airsoft replica to scare the public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just about to post that myself.

Once restricted the magazine capacity is irrelevant.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

patsat wrote: »

Only rimfires (10) and shotguns (3) have a restriction on magazine capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunt using an airsoft replica to scare the public.

Oh man, if it was and could be proved........whatever about quick shots of airsoft pistols using an airsoft M4 or whatever it is in that manner would destroy any credibility Healy might have. Surely he wouldn't be that stupid.

Ah, ask and the experts will usually know (though they'll sometimes email instead of posting).
    Apparently it is a real rifle, it was known about, and there was a court case about it and the whole thing (from the newspaper report of it) is enormously confusing - the Gardai wanted to bring a case but the DPP directed that no prosecution be brought or something (the newspaper is *really* unclear here).

Given that the rifle was still in Garda HQ, I'm assuming that the case is still sub judice until I find out otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jamo27

not even semi autos??

not even semi autos??
    Yup.
    Think of it this way - the large magazine size isn't illegal, it just pushes a firearm into the restricted category. Centerfire semiautos are already in the restricted category, so it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jamo27

Sparks wrote: »
    Yup.
    Think of it this way - the large magazine size isn't illegal, it just pushes a firearm into the restricted category. Centerfire semiautos are already in the restricted category, so it doesn't matter.

:-) I stand corrected sir! Well whatever it is its in the fire position with the safety off, wouldn't you think the boys would know better!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Same with the pistols. All slides are closed and no breach flag. Unsafe manner to leave a firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Sparks wrote: »
    Yup.

Are you sure about this Sparks??

I was pretty sure there was no restrictions on the magazine capacity of any centre fire rifle.

A 30 round magazine on a centre fire bolt rifle wouldn't be restricted.

wouldn't you think the boys would know better!

Honestly? No. But I wouldn't expect them to either, there's a reason that the safety training courses are run by target shooters and hunters.

(The reason, for anyone reading this from the outside, is that Police and Army training with firearms is based on shooting people, which is not something you want to use as a standard with civilian firearms ownership)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Cass wrote: »
    Same with the pistols. All slides are closed and no breach flag. Unsafe manner to leave a firearm.
    It's okay, Fergus and the lads are professionals:

Are you sure about this Sparks??
    I was pretty sure there was no restrictions on the magazine capacity of any centre fire rifle.
    Ha! Yes, you're right. c(i) on the original restricted SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

It look like a legit ar15 to me, forward assist etc which I don't think the 10/22 pimped up have. You can see the bolt carrier with the dust cover down. Usually that's where little cogs and gears are on airsoft guns. The rest of the gear looks legit as do the magazines which can often be plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'm missing a fire selection lever where I'd expect it on an AR or 416 or similar, the mags look like standard NATO mags from a distance but I can't really see the retention notch in them. They're kind of attached the wrong way around as well. I would have the spare mag sitting away from the ejection port anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

crusier wrote: »
    That modified weapon that was legally licensed and was similar to a weapon linked to the Norwegian massacre was the most damming piece of footage than any argument either spokesperson put up, that's what will sway public opinion!

Errr NO! Brevick used a "modified " Mini 14 whicjh is a do it all type hunting rifle.After he went off to the Czech Republic[much known for liberal gun laws ,but not stupidity!] and tried there and in Bulgaria to aquire a full auto aK47.
    So aGAIN the presentation and allusion to such is again plainly wrong!

BTW this is the SAME rifle they passed around in the photos in their little bookeen to the comittee in Dec!I and another poster here got to see this pic in person and neither of us could say whether it was a select fire assault rifle or a tricked up semi auto because the way it was photographed you cant see the fire selector/saftey switch.Now the TWO big questions I have is simply [1] If it was a legally liscensed firearm,wTF is it doing in Garda custody?? and [2]As it would be restricted it is utterly irrevelant if you hang a machete,a searchlight,a 100 drum off it and the kitchen sink.So why are they making out it is assembled from "parts"? A lot of clarification is needed here,and I'm amazed thy didnt go and dig out the second SPAS15 in Ireland from the ballistics section and claim that because one is liscensed here those SPAS15s are easily liscenseable here too?? This was just another Garda scare tactic along with the evidence locker handguns on the table and the appalingly BAD firearms handling by CS Healy waving the Glock[as usual ] around.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Overall i thought it was going to be way worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clawback07

Overall i thought it was going to be way worse

Over all it was the most disjointed ,forgettable clusterf###k piece of gutter journalism one could ask for . At this point in time it's getting a postmortem which it doesn't really merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

After all is said and done folks it's only just another shoddy RTE attempt at a current affairs show brought to you by the people who think a round robin of interviewing the same clampets for each other's so called talk shows makes great television.

A parliamentary decission it is most definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Something well dodgy about that "M4". Not only is the flip-up sight in the wrong place (in front of the ACOG), but it doesn't work with that front sight at all. And the ACOG is so far back it'll poke you in the eye if you try to get a cheek weld. Aren't red dot optics supposed to be as far forward as is comfortable?

Whisper it: Is it possible the gun was dressed up for the telly? By someone who didn't know what they were doing?

Deadly Black Rails!
    Deadly Tan Rail Covers!!
    Deadly Black Flashlights!!!
    Deadly Black Clips Magazines!!!!
    And that GripPod looks a bit scary too.

Its genuine and the same one in the pics alright.Someone spent alot of cash on this gun. Over a thousand euros in add on bits with the sight if they are genuine parts

ACOG scope[or airsoft copy?]
    Magpul Flip up rear BUIS sight [or Chinese copy?]
    Magpul rear pistol grip [or airsoft copy?]
    Magpul mag quick mag change assist tab[black rubbery yoke on the bottom of the mag [or copy]
    Daniel Defence[?] forward quad rail About 350 USD for the real Mc Coy
    Non standard rear C.A.R style telescoping buttstock.Could be Magpul again or a host of other makers or [airsoft copy]
    Stream light flashlight and mount,
    C mag clamp for holding the mags together
    Intrestingly an Ambidex bolt release! [The little metal tab you can see in the upper part of the trigger gaurd!] They arent that new to the market[last 4 years or so]

Cant see any lower reciver markings as the pic isnt sharp enough.
    Its customised and it would certainly have stuck in my mind if I had seen it on any of the ranges and I've never seen it around and being a big AR fan we arent that many out there we would recognise it,and slagg whoever owned it for having a vast amount of useless junk on his rifle unless he is expecting a Zombie apocalypse.
    So begs the question...Who owned it,and why isit in Garda custody?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Its genuine and the same one in the pics alright.Someone spent alot of cash on this gun. Over a thousand euros in add on bits with the sight if they are genuine parts

ACOG scope[or airsoft copy?]
    Magpul Flip up rear BUIS sight [or Chinkie copy?]
    Magpul rear pistol grip [or airsoft copy?]
    Magpul mag quick mag change assist tab[black rubbery yoke on the bottom of the mag [or copy]
    Daniel Defence[?] forward quad rail About 350 USD for the real Mc Coy
    Non standard rear C.A.R style telescoping buttstock.Could be Magpul again or a host of other makers or [airsoft copy]
    Stream light flashlight and mount,
    C mag clamp for holding the mags together
    Intrestingly an Ambidex bolt release! [The little metal tab you can see in the upper part of the trigger gaurd!] They arent that new to the market[last 4 years or so]

Cant see any lower reciver markings as the pic isnt sharp enough.
    Its customised and it would certainly have stuck in my mind if I had seen it on any of the ranges and I've never seen it around and being a big AR fan we arent that many out there we would recognise it,and slagg whoever owned it for having a vast amount of useless junk on his rifle unless he is expecting a Zombie apocalypse.
    So begs the question...Who owned it,and why isit in Garda custody?

You sound like Finan McGrath asking questions like that!

OzCam wrote: »
    Something well dodgy about that "M4". Not only is the flip-up sight in the wrong place (in front of the ACOG), but it doesn't work with that front sight at all. And the ACOG is so far back it'll poke you in the eye if you try to get a cheek weld. Aren't red dot optics supposed to be as far forward as is comfortable?

Not necessarily, Those kind of sights are supposed to be heads up sights .IOW both eyes open and your eye focuses instantly on the reticle with a panoramic view then of the surrounding area,if that makes sense.So that varies with each shooter.Som put them way forward ,other mid point and others very close,but it must interfere with the charging latch operation[That flat bit of metal under the ACOG sight base in the extreme rear of the gun].WHY he put a BIUS sight on it is beyond me as the ACOG is a battle tested soilder proof scope sight that is virtually indestructable in its own right and the BIUS is for emergency use ,which means you would have to dump the ACOG if it was inoperative.Not a biggie,its got" big knobs to twist to get it off":P..BUT IT WILL NOT WORK with the standard forward foresight on that rifle[Thats the trianglely bit on the barrel above the torch.]
    That foresight is under a vital bit called the gas port block and for BIUS sights to work you need a front sight and a low profile gas port block too.
    So yes you are on the money ther Oz.:D
    Other thing is the ACOG is raised too by the custom forearm,so their cheek weld must be all to Hell off that stock to get proper target sight.Either that or they have a huge head!:pac:

Smell a bit of "Waltism" or Mall Ninja on whoever put this package together.

Trouble is Comrade Mc Grath wouldnt know WTF 1% of what I said there actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Anyone silly enough to put airsoft replica parts on a real rifle is in for some very nasty surprises.

There are good reasons that our accessories are 1/2 to 1/10th the price of the real thing, mainly that they won't handle the recoil from a real round. Rail covers and backup sights might be ok, except for the slagging you'd get when found out. But optics and stocks? No way. They're just not built for it.

I noticed that foreend/rail too. Not too common, not even in airsoft.

Dunno about the optics OZ.I'm using a 45 euro copy of a 300 euro Doctor Optics holosight on my 9mm and it does the job just as well at that..The CAR stock is just a hunk of fancy plastic and a non load bearing or critical part to the guns operation.It just sits on the buffer tube,and can be swopped out[.So long as they arent using THAT critical part from an airsoft:eek:]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Trouble is Comrade Mc Grath wouldnt know WTF 1% of what I said there actually means.

He dosent need to, big gun, loads bullets, all the accessories and linked to a massacre! Joe has enough info!

Advertisement