Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time 10th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I have to side with strider here. The w.d.a.i sent out an e mail yesterday saying there is a reference to Deer shooting in the report and they had nothing got to do with it. That they were asked and declined and they rang prime time to make sure to point out that Deer shooting wasn't affected in this report.
    It was 1 of the first things mentioned in the show. They also criticised Nargc for filming it. They never said anything about we all need to stand together.
    To me the way I read it was it was more of a dig at Nargc
    To be honest I won't be renewing my membership to these association because I'm not happy with their behaviour in all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I have to side with strider here. The w.d.a.i sent out an e mail yesterday saying there is a reference to Deer shooting in the report and they had nothing got to do with it. That they were asked and declined and they rang prime time to make sure to point out that Deer shooting wasn't affected in this report.
    It was 1 of the first things mentioned in the show. They also criticised Nargc for filming it. They never said anything about we all need to stand together.
    To me the way I read it was it was more of a dig at Nargc
    To be honest I won't be renewing my membership to these association because I'm not happy with their behaviour in all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So because they thought it was a mistake to get involved in Prime Time, they're bad?

Dude, I thought it was a mistake, that's why I refused to be interviewed. Grizzly knew it was a mistake. The NTSA knew it was a mistake. The WDAI knew it was a mistake. Because we all remembered this:

Don't get me wrong, I can see why it was done - had it worked, it would have been worth the risk.

But saying "oh, group X is behaving badly" when they've just been proven to be correct, that's crap.
    If the Coalition had done what the WDAI had done, we wouldn't have just been painted so badly in the media. And the WDAI's not acting against anyone, it's doing exactly what everyone's been calling for all this time.

So what exactly is the real issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

This argument is a distraction. Secure your sport's future first. You'll have plenty of time to discuss who said what and why afterwards.

Why someone's putting their shoulder to the wheel is irrelevant right now. Better late than never.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jesus, that prime time clip brought it all back. I still cringe when i see it. Some of the statements that were made. Don't they realise that what they say is frightening to the general public that don't understand firearms. Back to the old adage of think before you talk.

Everyone i know in most organisations would have the cop on not to entertain Prime Time. With last night's debacle, the one above, and the great press we usually receive did they think these people suddenly grew a conscious and wanted to do a fair and impartial piece. Perhaps now we'll realise that sometimes saying nothing, while annoying, is the best option.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

hathcock wrote: »
    Having watched the show last night it seems to me that the wrong man was chosen to represent shooters,he might be good in court but on tv he was less than useless,he allowed the interviewer and the other protagonist to set the agenda.We never had a good press,and this has definitely put us further on the back foot.

Just watched the piece back on the RTE Player and I'd have to agree with this. Willie just wasn't at the races, when it when it was put to him that the banning of handguns in the UK has reduced gun the threat of gun rampages he countered by pointing out the most recent rampage was perpetrated with a .22 rifle.. that's grand so Willie we'll just have to ban them as well then. Reminded me a bit of Lionel Hutz from The Simpsons, kinda half expecting him to produce a pair of shoes he was mending for Miriam from under the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    Jesus, that prime time clip brought it all back. . Perhaps now we'll realise that sometimes saying nothing, while annoying, is the best option.

And if you do want to play with the media nuke reactor ,you had better have a Max Clifford [when he isnt in jail that is] type beside you for the PR and who knows the ins and outs of the media. Somone who lays down the rules of engagement from the word Go and has a say in the whole operation.There is a very good reason PR gurus are employed and make thousands per hour.

Cheaper option...Shut the frup up and do not engage with media whores as it will only end in tears .:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Forwarded a complaint to RTE, the Broadcasting Authority, and directly to Mr Noel Curran, Director General, RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Looked like something you'd see on a SWAT team member. Do you know why someone would want one of them? Target practice?? It looked fairly bad ass sitting their on the table. Overkill. Do you fellas/girls own converted guns like that?

Doesnt matter what it looks like. All guns fire bullets, they just a tool

Same way people upgrade their cars with spoilers, alloys and bumpers etc.

Nothing wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Finian McGrath is one of my constituency TD's in the new Dublin Bay North. I can't wait for him to come knocking on my door looking for my vote. I'll tell him that not only will he not be getting my vote but that I have contacted a large number of licensed firearm owners in the constituency and urged them not to vote for him either.

Anyone else in this constituency should contact any firearms owners they know and urge them to have a suitable response ready for Mr McGrath when he comes a knocking. Keep it simple, something like:

I am shooting sport enthusiast, you have attacked my sport and assaulted my good character with your stance on firearm ownership. You won't be getting a vote from me or my family or anyone in my shooting association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

Finian McGrath is one of my constituency TD's in the new Dublin Bay North. I can't wait for him to come knocking on my door looking for my vote. I'll tell him that not only will he not be getting my vote but that I have contacted a large number of licensed firearm owners in the constituency and urged them not to vote for him either.

Anyone else in this constituency should contact any firearms owners they know and urge them to have a suitable response ready for Mr McGrath when he comes a knocking. Keep it simple, something like:

I am shooting sport enthusiast, you have attacked my sport and assaulted my good character with your stance on firearm ownership. You won't be getting a vote from me or my family or anyone in my shooting association.

And don't forget to end it with "#Get it!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

pbthevet wrote: »
    So now the public ....

Think we are becoming like america!

That all guns are just left lying around in sheds

That people are being murdered with legal guns

And that its "easy to access" legal firearms.

And that theres no issue at all a tall with illegal guns! And that crinimals find it easier to steal farmers guns than just order in a few sub machine guns with next pallet of drugs

Bloody raging after that!

Calm down lads. Speaking as a non gun owner who generally favours the current gun regime in Ireland I thought the anti-gun case made in this program came across as silly, histrionic and unnecessary.

I don't think people should be allowed to bring a loaded firearm into a burger bar. But then I don't think most Irish gun owners want that.

I don't think you should be allowed keep military style rapid fire assault weapons in a private home. But then I don't think most Irish gun owners want that.

I think gun owners should be held responsible for ensuring their guns are locked safely away when not in use, as I suspect most gun owners in this country do.

The notion that deer hunters or sporting pistol shooters are somehow responsible for the death of an unfortunate young man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time when one gangster decided to take out another is farcical.

I think our gun laws are strict enough and that making them unnecessarily stricter might be counter productive. It ain't broke; don't try and fix it.

Tuppence worth.

PS Finian McGrath is a twat.

SVI40 wrote: »
    And don't forget to end it with "#Get it!" :D

*hehe*

How about a #GetIt tag on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wouldn't wait for him to come knocking. I'd be going to tell him my views right now. Politely of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wouldn't wait for him to come knocking. I'd be going to tell him my views right now. Politely of course.

Does he deserve a polite response? I know I would be careful what I said but I would not be polite. At this stage it's too late in the day.. He is a grandstanding dinosaur and he needs to be gone gone gone from politics..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For those of you who are "Game of Thrones" followers the House of Stark family motto is "Winter is comeing".
    A breif explanation for those not aufe with this seris The Stark family live in the North of this fictious island which is a semi artic region and where Winter can last seven years,as can the Summers but it also has a double meaning in the fact that it means there is also inevetiblely like the seasons there is always trouble and hardship on the way. So maybe instead of using Finians "Get it" we might remind him of "Winter[Elections] is comeing."?:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'd rather he stopped using "Get it" than I have to stop using "Winter is coming" to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

That modified weapon that was legally licensed and was similar to a weapon linked to the Norwegian massacre was the most damming piece of footage than any argument either spokesperson put up, that's what will sway public opinion!

I'd really love to know the background on that thing myself...

Actually, guys, there aren't that many centerfire semiautos in the country, even fewer that have had their certs revoked and been confiscated, someone has to know what the backstory is here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Sparks wrote: »
    I'd really love to know the background on that thing myself...

Actually, guys, there aren't that many centerfire semiautos in the country, even fewer that have had their certs revoked and been confiscated, someone has to know what the backstory is here?

Was it not just a ruger 10/22 with some bling attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭patsat

hexosan wrote: »
    Was it not just a ruger 10/22 with some bling attached.

I looked out for that when watching it and I'm sure it wasn't a 10/22

Looking at the magazines aswel they didn't seem modified to take .22lr so that rules out an Ar-15 clone in .22lr

I thought, just in the few moments it was on screen, that the major problem was the capacity of the two magazines. No law against a flash-light etc. (apart from the "I don't like the look of that" argument)
    I think the CS stated that each magazine was 30 round capacity, but than this is from a guy who is happy to portray an Airsoft pistol, legally available in many shopping centres, as a dangerous weapon to a gormless journalist.

Didn't see it for long enough to figure out what it was, and I'll be damned if I didn't just assume it was a semiauto centerfire. I went back, grabbed a screenshot or two and upped the lighting because RTE seem to be running out of budget for lamps:

341748.png

341747.png

Anyone recognise it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jamo27

Yeah it's a .223 semi auto, looking at the bolt carrier and the magazine size itself! The only illegal thing about this rifle is the 30 round mags! It's fairly tricked out alright,but different strokes for different blokes..just a scare tactic using the dreaded "black rifle"..

I don't recognise the tan thing on the rail in front of the Acog-alike scope there. Spirit level cant indicator or something?
    (In which case, why would the owner have it in front where they couldn't see it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

I don't recognise the tan thing on the rail in front of the Acog-alike scope there. Spirit level cant indicator or something?
    (In which case, why would the owner have it in front where they couldn't see it?)
    That is a flip up rear iron sight

(In which case, why would the owner have it in front where they couldn't see it?)[/QUOTE]

Why do fellows with front wheel drive cars, put wider rims & tyres on the back? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That is a MBUS flip up sight from magpul I believe your actually looking at an Airsoft
    M4 S system or similar with magpul pistol grip ,clone ACOG and grippod handgrip

The piece on top of the ACOG is actually a piece of fiber optic for the cross hairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jamo27

It's a flip up sight that works with the front sight just above the gas block, it's used by us military incase your scope gets damaged..

Advertisement