Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Yeah, looked like a piece of cake for them. :rolleyes:

We're talking about taking someone's life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

People say are gardai are corrupt or facist. But not really compared to the stuff I've seen and heard from america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Egginacup wrote: »
    So in your world the only alternative to restraining someone is to kill them.
    Is the life of someone so cheap to you?

Where exactly did I say that? The cops use non-lethal weapons when they can. When these don't work sometimes the only option is lethal force. You could argue they shoudl let them get away but that kind of policy would only encourage regular violent resistance to arrest. Why let them arrest you if you can get away by being as violent as possible?
    TommyOM wrote: »
    We're talking about taking someone's life here.

We are talking about more than one persons life. We are also talking about the lives of anyone who could have been hit if the guy had managed to pull the trigger. It's regrettable that he lost his life but sometimes there is no happy ending in situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It hasn't really. But if you charge at a cop, try to steal a cop's gun, or wave around an imitation gun, you will most likely be shot and killed because cops are authorised to use force in such situations.

The only reason it seems like things are different is the prevalence of smartphones these days and the fact that some of the victims were black, which the media framed as suggestive of a pattern.

The media aren't framing anything.http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2014/10/black-teenagers-are-21-times-more-likely-to-be-killed-by-police-than-white-teenagers/

A black teenage male is 21 times more likely to be killed by police in the US than a white teenage male, despite there being about five times as many white males as black males in the country!
    It is certainly a problem that needs addressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Where exactly did I say that? The cops use non-lethal weapons when they can. When these don't work sometimes the only option is lethal force. You could argue they shoudl let them get away but that kind of policy would only encourage regular violent resistance to arrest. Why let them arrest you if you can get away by being as violent as possible?

How many Irish are killed in the process of being arrested every year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

America is drifting closer and closer to a police state anyway.

Just look at the recent discovery of an off the books police "black site" in chicago, Homan square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I would say near enough to zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

We are talking about more than one persons life. We are also talking about the lives of anyone who could have been hit if the guy had managed to pull the trigger. It's regrettable that he lost his life but sometimes there is no happy ending in situations like this.

Don't be so inane.

If these cops didn't have guns and they couldn't restrain the guy then by your absurd logic they should have kicked him to death or slit his throat with a Stanley knife or if they were that worried about their safety then should have stood a safe distance and had a few department rottweilers tear him to pieces.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The media aren't framing anything.http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2014/10/black-teenagers-are-21-times-more-likely-to-be-killed-by-police-than-white-teenagers/

A black teenage male is 21 times more likely to be killed by police in the US than a white teenage male, despite there being about five times as many white males as black males in the country!

But is it not an economical issue more so than a policing issue?

Only a few. But it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Much less weapons in circulation here and there's still a reluctance to use them against Gardaí.

• Advertisement

Don't be so inane.

If these cops didn't have guns and they couldn't restrain the guy then by your absurd logic they should have kicked him to death or slit his throat with a Stanley knife or if they were that worried about their safety then should have stood a safe distance and had a few department rottweilers tear him to pieces.

That's not my logic. That's just an opinion that you are attributing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

One thing I notice is that the American police seem overly inclined to shoot to kill, they don't seem to consider the option to shoot to disable.

My thoughts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

Maybe if he was not a bum he would be alive. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

bb1234567 wrote: »

Yup gang culture poverty and all that are problems that need to be addressed. Side not as well Are Black males encountered by the police in the states way more lightly to be armed/resist arrest than the White counterpart.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    My thoughts too.

I'm up for correction, But no police force in the world is trained to shoot to wound. Once the gun is drawn it's a lethal force take down. Cops here only shoot to kill just like the UK or another police force in Europe. They did in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Sand

stunmer wrote: »
    It's happened again.

Yup, people rushing to judgements and hysterical hyperbole with absolutely no idea of what happened. I'd have hoped the whole Ferguson case might have encouraged people to learn to wait and see what the evidence is, but I guess not.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

That's not my logic. That's just an opinion that you are attributing to me.

You just stated that lethal force ought to be employed against someone who can't be restrained. And if these 6 morons can't restrain a guy who sleeps on the roadside then they should be mopping the floors in peep shows or standing in the street holding a wooden sign advertising burger specials. Like I said earlier a couple of Temple Bar doormen can restrain a pissed up, coked up prick until the gardai arrive, and I've seen it. These LAPD dickheads can't do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

That was pretty 'effin brutal. No need for that.

You just stated that lethal force ought to be employed against someone who can't be restrained. And if these 6 morons can't restrain a guy who sleeps on the roadside then they should me mopping the floors in peep shows or standing in the street holding a wooden sign advertising burger specials. Like I said earlier a couple of Temple Bar doormen can restrain a pissed up, comes up prick until the gardai arrive, and I've seen it. These LAPD dickheads can't do the same?

Ever tried to detain someone with severe mental issues with the adrenalin going they can be freakishly strong ? little different than a wasted punter. You have no idea what the guy was thinking he could have been seeing/fighting zombies for all you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dancor wrote: »
    At 20 seconds it sounds like ''He's got my gun''

Listening to it on headphones and it sounds to me like ''I dropped my gun I dropped my gun''.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I have yet to see a video of a cop killing a man where the person shot didn't either trt to restrain/attack or get away. Don't want to die? Do what the cops say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

No gun expert - but hitting an arm or a leg is next to impossible and a damn stupid trick to attempt.

Borrow a gas operated airsoft pistol sometime and try to hit your mate in the leg when he's flailing, kicking, rolling around. Hell, try to hit a stationary target from a few meters away at a quick draw. You simply wont.

A bullet could easily ricochet off a pavement, parked car or other object and end up god knows where. A 9mm is designed to hit your torso and (mostly) stay in there. It's standard law enforcement issue for a reason.

Not to mention that getting shot in the leg might not do much to a fully grown male with adrenaline pumping.

When a gun is drawn it shouldn't be used in the same capacity as a tazer or pepper spray. It should be used to kill. If the person survives then great but if you find yourself being shot by a cop you can expect to keep getting shot until you're motionless on the floor.

I'm very conflicted about this issue. On the one hand, we have a lot of videos surfacing (no doubt due to the rise of social media) of cops killing people. What's rarely, if ever shown, is how these cops feel having pulled the trigger.

This cop shot a man in the back seat of a suspicious vehicle. The dude kept reaching for his waistband and ignored repeated orders to stop. (full video)

A minute or two after the shooting the cop is weak at the knees, feeling sicks and eventually is in a heap on the hood of his patrol car crying. Not exactly the "white, trigger happy" stereotype, but if that part of the footage hadn't surfaced we'd think he was a KKK cop who loved to kill. It was a justified kill but one he's going to have to live with all because some a55hole wouldn't be courteous to an officer and put his hands on his lap.

There are an insane amount of stolen and unregistered firearms in LA. It's one of the most dangerous cities for random shootings. Multiple officers are killed while doing normal, everyday police duties like writing speeding tickets or responding to domestic disputes. All it takes is one idiot out of his mind on PCP to pull a ****ty, stolen revolver out of nowhere. And that's before we even think about the gangs.

If I lived in such an area, any interaction I had with a cop I'd make sure my hands were visible and I didn't do anything to put him or her on edge. Most people in America know how to act when they're pulled over - turn on overhead light, window down, hands on the wheel until you've spoken to the cop. Do that and everyone's happy. It's not an erosion of your constitutional right - it's a courtesy to someone doing an incredibly dangerous job.

It's no different in Ireland. If you find yourself doing something suspicious (even if you have a perfectly reasonable explanation), and a garda stops you, you should have enough common sense to know that

a) all you have to do is relax and explain
    b) don't go rapidly reaching into your pocket or otherwise get aggressive

On the flip side, US cops need to improve their customer service and stop approaching every situation in a super-macho, aggressive way. A lot are ex-marines which is a questionable pool to draw recruits from considering the training US marines have.

Irish Example

Comparing the US to Ireland can be like comparing apples to oranges. However, I think race often place too much a part in online discussion. What should be discussed is the actions, character and behavior of the persons involved.

Yes - the people involved in these incidents are most often black. It's a symptom of racism and poverty that America has yet to deal with.

However, specifically, the people getting arrested/shot tend also to be criminals, violent or suspicious in their actions. I haven't heard of a cop entering a normal, black family's home and killing them as they sat around the dinner table saying grace.

An equal comparison might be skangers/junkies here in Dublin. Anyone around town recently will have noticed Operation Spire in full swing. There are guards all over the place. I work right near O' Connell bridge and over the past month I've seen guards walk right up to groups of lads and start searching, questioning and telling them to fcuk off.

If they're dealing with teenage góuriers or just fairly 'okay people' they're normally at ease and often just having a chat. But when they're dealing with Johnny Mountjoy they have him with his arms spread out, normally one grabbing onto his clothes for an easy takedown while another searches. Either that or it's cuffs on, then search.

Cops have dozens, if not a hundred searches or interactions with scumbags every weeks. All it takes is ONE to go wrong and you're in hospital, scarred for life or dead.

If I was a guard I'd be making sure every skanger I spoke to didn't have a knife. If I was a US cop dealing with homeless or patrolling a crime ridden area, I'd make sure every person I dealt with wasn't on his way to rob a liquor store with a gun when I stopped him. All it takes is one stop to go wrong.

To fix this:

1. Cops need to wear body cams
    2. Macho culture needs to be eradicated (no ex-military for a starters)
    3. General public need to stop assuming racism in every case a cop shoots a black person. Cops might kill more black people, but black people also kill more cops. There's a cause effect going on here...
    4. General public need to be educated on how to deal with police (should be taught in schools BY cops themselves). Hands visible. Follow reasonable orders. If you're arrested, just go. Wrongful arrest can be prosecuted and most people who claim to be wrongly arrested are incorrect. If pulled over, light on, engine off, hands on the wheel and a "hello officer", to be responded with "hello sir/mam" by the cop.
    5. If a cop is pointing a gun at you - just stop. BUT, if it can be found that the cop had no good reason to draw down on you, then you can prosecute for assault, which is is.

Not arsed removing typos for all that.

/ rant

To finish this off - here's a famous clip of a US cop dealing with a mentally ill man. You can hear the desperation in his voice. He really doesn't want to open fire on a man who actually requests to be shot. And because he didn't shoot he wound up being executed as he lay dying in hos patrol car, trying to find some form of cover. That video is shown to US cops in training for what known as a "command circle" and how dangerous repeatedly ignored orders can be.

If those screams don't make your stomach sink then you need your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Gits_bone wrote: »
    I have yet to see a video of a cop killing a man where the person shot either tried to restrain/attack or get away. Don't want to die? Do what the cops say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/fairfax-prosecutor-resumes-probe-in-police-killing-of-john-geer-in-2013/2015/02/21/e5676dd6-b9f1-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

Not only did this guy do everything the cops wanted but they covered it up for nearly 3 years and it was a blatant murder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

But either way, why the feck carry a gun when apprehending an unarmed man for the love of christ?

What do you want them to do? Leave it unattended in the car, in the expectation that the apparently unarmed man is actually unarmed?

The first "Drop the gun" was at 21 seconds into the clip. The first shot was at 25 seconds in. I don't see if the gun in question was produced by the deceased, or obtained from an officer. In either case, refusal to drop a weapon when instructed to do so usually won't take long to escalate, four seconds is giving him a fair bit of time.

I have very little idea as to what happened, but to declare it was an abusive/excessive/whatever seems a little premature.

You just stated that lethal force ought to be employed against someone who can't be restrained. And if these 6 morons can't restrain a guy who sleeps on the roadside then they should me mopping the floors in peep shows or standing in the street holding a wooden sign advertising burger specials. Like I said earlier a couple of Temple Bar doormen can restrain a pissed up, comes up prick until the gardai arrive, and I've seen it. These LAPD dickheads can't do the same?

Some doormen can restrain some piss heads. Other doormen get injured by equally pissed people.
    Ever tried to detain someone with severe mental issues with the adrenalin going they can be freakishly strong ? little different than a wasted punter. You have no idea what the guy was thinking he could have been seeing/fighting zombies for all you know.

I think it's fairly obvious he hasn't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Wow, people are actually defending the police on this one? Wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yes. This isn't the aran islands, this is America where there are more bat **** crazy people. As a cop doing his job he can't take any chances of his life being ended. Why did the guy try to restrain? If he didn't try and fight back he'd still be alive.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    On the flip side, US cops need to improve their customer service and stop approaching every situation in a super-macho, aggressive way. A lot are ex-marines which is a questionable pool to draw recruits from considering the training US marines have.

<snip>

To fix this:

1. Cops need to wear body cams
    2. Macho culture needs to be eradicated (no ex-military for a starters)
    3. General public need to stop assuming racism in every case a cop shoots a black person. Cops might kill more black people, but black people also kill more cops. There's a cause effect going on here...
    4. General public need to be educated on how to deal with police (should be taught in schools BY cops themselves). Hands visible. Follow reasonable orders. If you're arrested, just go. Wrongful arrest can be prosecuted and most people who claim to be wrongly arrested are incorrect. If pulled over, light on, engine off, hands on the wheel and a "hello officer", to be responded with "hello sir/mam" by the cop.
    5. If a cop is pointing a gun at you - just stop. BUT, if it can be found that the cop had no good reason to draw down on you, then you can prosecute for assault, which is is.

I will agree with much of this, with the exception of the dislike for prior military service, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, ex-servicemen have a demonstrated ability to adhere to the discipline, structure and fitness which is common both to emergency services and the military. Note, all emergency services: fire departments like ex-servicemen just as much as the police do. Ever notice how police recruit training and army recruit training have so many similarities?

Secondly, they are more likely to have seen the elephant. Like it or not, there is a requirement that a policeman is capable of quickly reacting to a lethal threat. This is an unknown for many people, but once people have faced it, you know better how they'll react.

Thirdly, you obviously haven't encountered many US Marines off-duty. They are unfailingly the most polite and respectful people I have ever met on civilian streets, more so than any other branch in my experience. In combat they are some of the most aggressive fighters you will come across, but it's a weapon they retain holstered until they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Not defending the cops nor the civilians.

We don't know enough about the situation. You don't know why this man was stopped. Maybe the cops knew him and he has a violent history or previous firearms offences? Maybe the cops are racist assholes who take too many steroids?

We just don't know.

However, parts of LA are more dangerous than Kabul. People get killed there every day for no reason whatsoever. Most of the killing is done by criminals who have lots of guns. Many are drug addicts. More still hate cops (perhaps with good reason). It's best to make slow judgement in these kinds of cases.

• Advertisement

We have a guy actively fighting cops, and apparently armed with a handgun, wherever it came from. This is cut-and-dry indefensible why, exactly?

Advertisement