Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Seriously, are those footpaths just littered with homeless people and their tents. Look across the street looks like it's lined with homeless people. :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

bubblypop wrote: »
    Shoot much?
    Doesn't matter whether he aims the gun, whether he has a proper grip on it. All he needs is one finger to pull the trigger.
    Doesn't matter where the bullet goes, its going to do damage.

And, yes, I do shoot. Handguns.

I would image that if the cops stomped on his cuffed hands and arms until they were shattered and paralysed and then repeatedly shot him until he was dead you would claim that he could have gotten his tongue onto the trigger and discharged one of the guns and that the rest of us should just stfu bacause we don't know shit about guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Seriously, are those footpaths just littered with homeless people and their tents. Look across the street looks like it's lined with homeless people. :confused:

Ever been to the states? San Francisco and San Diego are the worst I've seen, didn't get into L.A. for barely a day to see it properly. Its horrific.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ever been to the states? San Francisco and San Diego are the worst I've seen, didn't get into L.A. for barely a day to see it probably. Its horrific.

New York is pretty awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

It is very easy to sit and judge here where we can rewind and review a situation that has been videoed, however being involved I'm sure in such a volatile confrontation must be dam scary and I am sure you are on heightened guard at all times so that when things do get out of control you react in a heartbeat. Was it excessive? Perhaps. If you were in fear of your life or that of a friend then perhaps not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Am I missing something. At what point are so many people seeing him being successfully handcuffed? It seems like an over-reaction but it's pretty hard to judge from this video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ever been to the states? San Francisco and San Diego are the worst I've seen, didn't get into L.A. for barely a day to see it probably. Its horrific.

No not yet. I've heard it's pretty bad alright

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Land of the Free...yeah if you have enough money and power you are free to piss on everyone else. You know what really is ironic about Murica? They are so religious but they are unaware that the society they strive for is philsophical Satanism-i.e. material selfishness and an obsession with weapons and war. If Jesus were born in America he would be labelled a pinko hippy liberal and told to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Skid Row as described on the the BBC:

Name given to a central district of Los Angeles with a large homeless population

Estimates of district's population range from 8,000 to 11,000 people, predominantly black people, with a homeless population of about 2,500, according to the LA Chamber of Commerce

Described by the Associated Press as a "tenuous comfort zone for many who hit the rock bottom of their lives in America"

Homeless people tended to gravitate to the area historically as it was near a railway terminal - "the last stop on the train for the whole country", according to the Union Rescue Mission charity

Other US cities have their own "skid rows", with the term believed to have originated in Seattle, Washington State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Why does this happen in the US ?.What is wrong with America ? I mean the US is always the first to condemn the atrocities of some other nation, but when tragedy occurs on their own door step it sort of undermines the democratic framework that the US supposedly stands for.

Definitely excessive force used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Im not trying to be callous, it's just something I think it's quite obvious.

But he could have mental problems alright, but is a cop trained to deal with such instances, they see someone reaching for a gun or grabbing it, it's how they react.

Every police officer should be well trained in how to deal with mental illness! Even if they arresting someone or questioning them as a suspect, they should not be talking to people in that screamy, shouty, intimidating way that is only going to serve to escalate the situation.

If the police officers (two at the most, the rest should have remained well in the background) had gone up to the man and calmly and respectfully told him they needed to question him and the reasons why, there most likely would have been no incident at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

AlanG wrote: »
    Am I missing something. At what point are so many people seeing him being successfully handcuffed? It seems like an over-reaction but it's pretty hard to judge from this video.

I can't make out anything in the video after the guy goes down, I'm always sketchy about what the power of suggestion can do to influence what people see in these situations.
    Caustic 1 wrote: »
    It is very easy to sit and judge here where we can rewind and review a situation that has been videoed, however being involved I'm sure in such a volatile confrontation must be dam scary and I am sure you are on heightened guard at all times so that when things do get out of control you react in a heartbeat. Was it excessive? Perhaps. If you were in fear of your life or that of a friend then perhaps not.

Anyone can understand that but these are trained professionals who should be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If the contention here is that in tackling a single unarmed man that a group of 5 or 6 police officers allow the unarmed man to become armed thats pretty sloppy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The suspect the police call him, is that suspected of dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

You're no less dead after being shot by someone mentally ill than someone that isn't.

Well done on taking half a post and removing the context

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Was Samuel Jackson recording that... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

bubblypop wrote: »
    Shoot much?
    Doesn't matter whether he aims the gun, whether he has a proper grip on it. All he needs is one finger to pull the trigger.
    Doesn't matter where the bullet goes, its going to do damage.

And, yes, I do shoot. Handguns.

Next time your shooting try the manoeuvre I just described and see how you get on. not very well i'd bet. Also given that its LAPD they're probably carrying Glock 22 or Glock 17's which have a safety feature which require both the trigger safety and the trigger to be depressed simultaneously. A mere formality while being kneeled on with your hands cuffed behind you back.

No not yet. I've heard it's pretty bad alright

Go onto google maps for LA and search for skid row. Take the google streetview grand tour. It's fcuking dire.

One thing I notice is that the American police seem overly inclined to shoot to kill, they don't seem to consider the option to shoot to disable.

Oh, you're going to get bombarded by replies from "experts" now who will state by wounding someone you've just transformed them from a would-be killer to a "pissed off would-be killer" or some rubbish and that a wounded guy can still pull the trigger. Better to just "finish him off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Jesus just seeing this now. Very very sad that life in America has come to this. A very fractured society with what looks like a war going on between cops pumped up on steroids defending the have's against the have not's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

One thing I notice is that the American police seem overly inclined to shoot to kill, they don't seem to consider the option to shoot to disable.

I'm not condoning shooting anyone, but i think i read somewhere that they aim at the largest target, that is the chest area/abdomen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Egginacup wrote: »
    What? In before I express disgust at yet another needless slaying at the hands of the police?

Huh?
    And what does any of this have to do with you or I?

Even if, in your fantastic imagination, Vladimir Putin killed someone, then why are you so animated about it?
    He can kill who he wants in his own country. Why are you cribbing about what happens in another country? UNLESS you think you have a right to tell how others ought to be.

Is that the case?

Murder is an abomination and state sanctioned murder is beyond reproach. But if you feel the onus is upon you to criticise the machinations within another person's land then surely you would have no issue with them commenting or even interfering in your land, No?

Funny how you all of a sudden care about needless slaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Oh, you're going to get bombarded by replies from "experts" now who will state by wounding someone you've just transformed them from a would-be killer to a "pissed off would-be killer" or some rubbish and that a wounded guy can still pull the trigger. Better to just "finish him off".

The real reason is it's easier to hit a torso than it is to hit a leg or a shoulder, and even if you hit a shoulder, you're probably going to puncture a lung and kill the person you hit.

But either way, why the feck carry a gun when apprehending an unarmed man for the love of christ?
    Take his legs out from under him with a stick and pin him down, if 4 or 5 unarmed men can't do that without ballsing it up they need to be tested for mental competency and given some training on how to do their jobs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Noxin wrote: »
    I remember I used to think I'd love to live in the states..
    The place really has gone bat $hit insane.

Lived in NY in the 90's for several years and found it very safe although it was Manhattan and not Queens/Brooklyn etc.. That said even then it there was an obvious issue with how the NYPD treated black people and people from poorer areas compared to middle and upper class people. There was a huge fracture between the community in those poorer areas and the police department and a general lack of respect between them. Don't get me wrong im not saying they had to deal with angels all the time but they seemed to treat black people with a hoddie a lot different than a white guy in a suit.

Anyway it seem to be getting worse and I fear it's only a matter of time before a fuse lights the anger nation wide in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not condoning shooting anyone, but i think i read somewhere that they aim at the largest target, that is the chest area/abdomen.
    The real reason is it's easier to hit a torso than it is to hit a leg or a shoulder, and even if you hit a shoulder, you're probably going to puncture a lung and kill the person you hit.
    That makes sense, but is surely rendered moot when you and a bunch of your mates are standing directly over the person. Even I couldn't miss an arm or leg at point-blank range.

caustic 1 wrote: »

People keep banging on about cops risking their lives every minute of every day. It's bullsh1t. There are higher on-the-job death rates for farm workers, trawlermen, construction workers, than there are for cops. People seem to think everyday for these guys is worse than a Christian going into the damn Coliseum.
    These cops are completely detached from reality and that's how they're trained...to view everyone as their enemy and act with brute force at the slightest provocation or resistance to subjugation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

People keep banging on about cops risking their lives every minute of every day. It's bullsh1t. There are higher on-the-job death rates for farm workers, trawlermen, construction workers, than there are for cops. People seem to think everyday for these guys is worse than a Christian going into the damn Coliseum.
    These cops are completely detached from reality and that's how they're trained...to view everyone as their enemy and act with brute force at the slightest provocation or resistance to subjugation.

Is it just the American police you have a problem with, or is it police forces in general?

Huh?

Funny how you all of a sudden care about needless slaying.

shruikan, you completely missed the point about the Nemtsov murder. His murder was appalling as well. I wasn't condoning it. But trawl away if it makes you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

kylith wrote: »
    That makes sense, but is surely rendered moot when you and a bunch of your mates are standing directly over the person. Even I couldn't miss an arm or leg at point-blank range.

I wouldn't trust the morons in the US police forces to hit a donkeys arse with a banjo, there was no need for him to have a gun on him, and if it was on him it should have been securely clipped in his holster which covers the trigger.
    The gun, a glock, also has a safe action trigger so it's not as simply as one finger on the trigger setting the gun off, you need a full grip and a considerable effort to fire the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is it just the American police you have a problem with, or is it police forces in general?

If this didn't happen in America, Eggy wouldn't be posting here.

The hate is strong with that kid.

Advertisement