Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Egginacup wrote: »
    No, it doesn't work like that. A cop only has the right to take a life when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE. When his or someone else's life is is danger. Making up excuses about "hands in belts" or "he could be high" do NOT qualify.

You seem to have a habit of presenting fabricated stuff as fact. You've yet to acknowledge your many inaccuracies so far in this thread, from misrepresenting me to outright factual inaccuracies. Cops in America do not work under the rules you claim they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You seem to have a habit of presenting fabricated stuff as fact. You've yet to acknowledge your many inaccuracies so far in this thread, from misrepresenting me to outright factual inaccuracies. Cops in America do not work under the rules you claim they do.

Well they should because their actions here are barbaric and not illustrative of trained men.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

They should really hire hardened warriors like yourself. Forged in the fires of action movies and armed with the Keyboard of Judgement. You cannot train someone to handle a situation like that. There is no way to predict how a person will react in a real life situation when the adrenalin starts pumping and the fight or flight reflex tries to take over. If you want people out there enforcing the law and putting themselves in dangerous situations then this is just something you have to accept.

Like I said earlier, it's funny how some nurses and social workers in a care centre can talk down a very large and violently unpredictable patient with mental problems and don't have to have guns to blow him or her away when they start acting erratically or screaming. Yet this sap of a cop has to just pull the trigger and you immediately side with him because he's "doing a dangerous job", yet barmen, ER staff, door-staff, taxi drivers etc are just as prone to the same kinds of unpredictable people and they don't need to pull a gun and waste someone because their life is in danger as these lame cops seems to believe 24/7

Like I said earlier, it's funny how some nurses and social workers in a care centre can talk down a very large and violently unpredictable patient with mental problems and don't have to have guns to blow him or her away when they start acting erratically or screaming. Yet this sap of a cop has to just pull the trigger and you immediately side with him because he's "doing a dangerous job", yet barmen, ER staff, door-staff, taxi drivers etc are just as prone to the same kinds of unpredictable people and they don't need to pull a gun and waste someone because their life is in danger as these lame cops seems to believe 24/7

Not to mention prison guards. I think it's fair to say gun nut culture doesn't help the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Jeezus, a lot of Airsofters in here know how to deal with this situation!

Holy budda!!!

• Advertisement

Holy budda!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's only funny because you ignore the main difference. Police have to confront these people, the others don't. They can fall back and ring for, you guessed it, the police.

deco nate wrote: »

Holy budda!!!

Well not in here but there are a lot of armed police in the world that deal with situations like this better than these cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

What this incident did was show us that all these shootings have zero to do with race.

Such shootings are (and have always been) about class.. along of course, with the abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It's only funny because you ignore the main difference. Police have to confront these people, the others don't. They can fall back and ring for, you guessed it, the police.

Not when the. situation is eminent or acute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Its sad for sure, but will happen again and again. Poor people dont matter. They should, but they dont.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well not in here but there are a lot of armed police in the world that deal with situations like this better than these cowards.

I was talking about people that were defending the police response, in this case and also in the video of the cop shooting the guy in the back seat of the car.

In the case of the video of the cop shooting the guy in the back of the car, he ****ed up. Big time! 1.5 seconds then shoots the guy in the back?! Crys on camera? He knew he ****ed up.

The people saying that they'd like to see someone else handling it different are missing the point. Someone is handling it different everyday. In every state in America and most developed countries there is police encountering the same thing day in and day out and handling it right, with balls of steel, skill and intelligence. It's just these cowards that make the news. Don't fall for it. Most trained individuals don't operate are made of better stuff than what's shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Its sad for sure, but will happen again and again. Poor people dont matter. They should, but they dont.

The reaction of the man who was killed was quite erratic. You don't resist cops in the U.S. They will shot you. Mental illness doesn't really seem to be a deterrent to pulling the trigger.

deco nate wrote: »
    I was talking about people that were defending the police response, in this case and also in the video of the cop shooting the guy in the back seat of the car.

In the case of the video of the cop shooting the guy in the back of the car, he ****ed up. Big time! 1.5 seconds then shoots the guy in the back?! Crys on camera? He knew he ****ed up.

Oh I agree completely. It's indefensible.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

And if "these people" are so dangerous that they need to be shot dead then how come the workers that I mentioned not armed in the first place since waiting for a cop could be so hazardous? Can you answer that?

The reaction of the man who was killed was quite erratic. You don't resist cops in the U.S. They will shot you. Mental illness doesn't really seem to be a deterrent to pulling the trigger.

Yep as I say they let fear govern their actions instead of reasoning. It's not exactly hard qualifying to be a cop in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

A great idea would be to not resist against the cop(s). I have often fired back at cops with words but never physically, there is no reason to- especially not in this case as one can clearly see. Every time there is clear evidence that they resist their orders physically (yes, I mean when a black guy gets shot by a white cop). 2 years ago an American cop grabbed me from behind and literally threw me across a room while my shirt was clenched in his fist- I did nothing to him and after it answered his questions and was released from the situation. Although I had not done anything to begin with but a friend of a friend I was with was causing trouble- they were white and put in jail. However, someone like an Eric Gardner or Trayvon Martin or this guy would have done what I wanted to do in the moment and strike the guy in the face- its ridiculous that these are still stories and that people feel the need to make a thread about it. For the people who are so outraged, I suggest you go the states and work with the inner city kids or stop posting drivel every time this happens as if you were actually at the event. You just come off as trying to be holier than thou when in reality you are posting on a forum your sadness and frustrations (if even authentic) and probably not doing anything even related to helping out those in need with your career/volunteering (if applicable).

I am living in the states currently and I can breathe because I follow the law... They are currently selling shirts that say "I can breathe because I follow the law". Why? Because people are tired of the sensationalists making money of this and all of the fake concern that people like to put on (including posters here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

true567

Move along, nothing to see here, nothing happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

New York is pretty awful too.

It's gotten better. It was horrible a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

true567 wrote: »
    I am living in the states currently and I can breathe because I follow the law... They are currently selling shirts that say "I can breathe because I follow the law". Why? Because people are tired of the sensationalists making money of this and all of the fake concern that people like to put on (including posters here).

So someone is selling shirts about all this, and presumably making money whilst doing so... because they are tired of sensationalists making money from all this...

'Murica!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

masti123 wrote: »
    They even cuffed the man before they shot him. Psychopaths.
    They killed him then cuffed him in case he was Jesus and came back to life.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I think it really depends on whether the suspect actually had hold of the officers weapon.
    If he just reached for it, then it would appear from the video the officers over reacted with devastating consequences.
    If however he did have hold of the officers weapon, then I reckon its a lawful killing.
    Sounds to me like the officer thought he had dropped his gun in the initial struggle but in fact appears to havve dropped his pepper spray or some other canister.
    Nunu wrote: »
    What sort of confrontation training, if any, do the LAPD get?

The whole situation was a mess, like watching a royal rumble the way they tackled him. Non plan of action at all!

I've no doubt the deceased got a hold of a gun, but the situation should never have arisen. It was wholly preventable.
    They were trying to stop him struggling by repeatedly punching him to the head and body, how the hell is that going to stop him being "combative"
    Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Every police officer should be well trained in how to deal with mental illness! Even if they arresting someone or questioning them as a suspect, they should not be talking to people in that screamy, shouty, intimidating way that is only going to serve to escalate the situation.

If the police officers (two at the most, the rest should have remained well in the background) had gone up to the man and calmly and respectfully told him they needed to question him and the reasons why, there most likely would have been no incident at all.
    But they are trained in such a way that if you ignore their demands you are non cooperative and will be subject to whatever force is at the officers disposal! those with mental illness or deafness or down syndrom or other such conditions are all treated the same as any other person in the eyes of the brave boys in blue! "To serve and Protect" my feckin arse!
    Why do people keep saying he was cuffed when he was shot? The cuffs are put on him at 1.50 in the video.
    just in case he came back to life!
    Im actually seriously considering cancelling my planned trip to LA later this year over these deaths...I know people may say Im being silly and that if you do nothing wrong they wont go near you and you're more likely to be killed at home etc etc but Im at a stage now where Im just going to be terrified even being in the presence of an american cop, they seem so utterly charged to kill at all times, and when Im nervous I trip or say/do stupid things and they may think Im up to no good and BAM im dead.

I have a week planned in May to see LA and Vegas and Im now at a point where the cops there are making me very close to cancelling it. Not sure what to bloody do. :confused:
    As long as you are white and have a few quid in your wallet you should be fine!

one other thing about this debate about how americans treat their war heroes with many of them being recruited into police forces and fire departments and being retrained as paramedics, this guy was quite likely a veteran of one or more of americas skirmishes around the world yet was Fúckéd on top of the skid row pile with so many other true american heroes who actually fought and paid a heavy price for their beloved country! The armless the legless the blind and the insane, while the cops are just spineless .....

diomed wrote: »
    true567

Move along, nothing to see here, nothing happened?

Ok I will let you change the world through discussing events on Boards. Joke.

Even though you told me to move along I will answer your question (strange sequence of demands though). Something happened. The man got shot. But...

He deserved it. Do not try to grab a cop's weapon. Literally the dumbest thing you can do if you value your life. I just sat and tried to think of a dumber think and couldn't. Can you? This is just natural selection, this man could not adapt to current (and obvious) social norms of not grabbing a cop's weapon- don't ask me how his genes made it this far because I have no idea.

Carry on with your quest for social justice via Boards forums.

So someone is selling shirts about all this, and presumably making money whilst doing so... because they are tired of sensationalists making money from all this...

'Murica!

It is called reacting to the demand of the market. Financial Economics 101.

Essentially, it is a reflection of how people think its hilarious that these are still stories. The media picks up on 1 story and throws it in the face of people like yourself to eat up. Some people refer to these people as sheep or morons, who cannot distinguish between real news and superficial news.

true567
    the victim never gets to make up the story. the police make up fairy tales about being under threat. make believe. psychopaths who treat people as target practice.

diomed wrote: »
    true567
    the victim never gets to make up the story. the police make up fairy tales about being under threat. make believe. psychopaths who treat people as target practice.

Ahh yes of course. It is a big conspiracy in which American cops are psychopaths looking for innocent targets to silence.

Question: If they truly wanted to seek out to murder, wouldn't it be best to to do so not in the middle of the day, on a busy street, with people around and filming the event and security cameras on nearby establishments?

Question: Were all the cops (there were many in the video) in the video psychopaths? And did they discuss and plan the "murder" beforehand?

I would think instead it would be best to take advantage of their power by acting in such a way that they can never be seen actually doing the act- unlike here. And I also think it would be hard to get 5 or 6 LAPD members (LAPD has the best reputation for dealing with minorities as only 23% of the city is non-hispanic white mind you) to converge on this act of violence as pre-meditated, psychopathic murder and yet no whistle-blowers emerge.

I find it laughable though that you are calling someone besides yourself a psychopath...

They are currently selling shirts that say "I can breathe because I follow the law". Why? Because people are tired of the sensationalists making money of this and all of the fake concern that people like to put on (including posters here).
    It is called reacting to the demand of the market. Financial Economics 101.

More like irony 101.

I'm thinking of selling some t-shirts that say "I can breath because I don't live in a fascist police state."

More like irony 101.

I'm thinking of selling some t-shirts that say "I can breath because I don't live in a fascist police state."

It is actually not irony if you understand elementary economics but okay.

Good luck with your shirts (even though they don't make sense - from someone who has lived in the U.S. and I am sure 95% of other law-abiding citizens would agree). Maybe 10% of profits can go to the Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin family? Just a thought.

And I also think it would be hard to get 5 or 6 LAPD members (LAPD has the best reputation for dealing with minorities as only 23% of the city is non-hispanic white mind you) to converge on this act of violence as pre-meditated, psychopathic murder and yet no whistle-blowers emerge.
    Have a read about the police in the USA.
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160.html#.VPUnI3ysV8E

• Advertisement

It is actually not irony if you understand elementary economics but okay.

Your statement was that people were sick of money being made off of sensalionalism surrounding the recent spate of police killings, the ironic part is that the you maintain that the same people then began buying sensalionalist t-shirts relating to same.

Good luck with your shirts (even though they don't make sense - from someone who has lived in the U.S. and I am sure 95% of other law-abiding citizens would agree).

Since 2000, us police forces have killed very nearly as many us citizens as were killed on 9/11.

During this time the us government has installed a massive, illegal spying and monitoring program on their own citizens.

The us maintains an incarceration rate of its people that is the highest in the world by a huge margin, even bigger than communist china's.

A recently discovered secret domestic detention centre in chicago has been the site of illegal detention and interrogation practices, raising speculation of similar sites located around the country.

Yeah, none of that sounds vaguely suspect at all...

Advertisement