Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

threeball wrote: »
    There were about 10 of them FFS, plus he was already in cuffs. To have your gun taken off you after that person is in cuffs....??? Lets just say that mensa membership is unlikely for this particular officer.

I think mensa membership is unlikely for a lot of folk over there, but you know...they have the "right to bear arms". Seems to be the only one they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Why do people keep saying he was cuffed when he was shot? The cuffs are put on him at 1.50 in the video.

Are you suggesting they cuffed him after they shot him??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why aren't police trained to shoot to disarm instead of shoot to kill?

Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Land of the dollar, home of the coward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

threeball wrote: »
    Are you suggesting they cuffed him after they shot him??

Yes. They do that when the guy is still moving. You'll notice they are still pointing their guns at him too.

• Advertisement

Gob****es

Because only a gob****e would shoot like that. Anyone trained in medium to close range firearms is trained to aim for the largest target, the center of the body, to reduce the chances of missing. A cop who tries to disarm someone by shooting a limb is going to become a dead cop very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gob****es

Because when you're using a firearm in such a scenario you aim for the centre of mass.

1. So you stop the target
    2, so you don't miss the target and accidentally hit a bystander.

Have you ever fired a pistol? Its not as easy as it looks.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because when you're using a firearm in such a scenario you aim for the centre of mass.

1. So you stop the target
    2, so you don't miss the target and accidentally hit a bystander.

Have you ever fired a pistol? Its not as easy as it looks.

I'm sure he's seen plenty of shooting on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gob****es

Shooting to disarm would be akin to trying to stab gently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Americas gun laws are ridiculous.

Nothing will be done until they Democrats are in power of both houses. Even then it might not not.

This is a debate that comes up weekly as this stage and will continue to.

It'll probably take a famous person or political figure to get wrongly killed for anything to happen.

....these are cops......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just saw the video, he was battering the head off a police officer, then as they were trying to subdue him it looks like he went for one officers gun, self defense my the cops to shoot him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because only a gob****e would shoot like that. Anyone trained in medium to close range firearms is trained to aim for the largest target, the center of the body, to reduce the chances of missing. A cop who tries to disarm someone by shooting a limb is going to become a dead cop very quickly.
    In person of interest he only shoots people in the knee. It's a much better place to shoot someone because it disables them completely to the point they can't shoot back anymore and go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

One question on stuff like this, Why is his homeless status chucked about so much. Officers attended reports of a Robbery, Tried to detain suspect then shot. You would think the Outrage mongers were trying to generated more outrage. Same with his mental issues, Are the officers trained psychiatrist and able to make a judgement of that. The guy could have been high on crack and acting up. Loads of stuff brought up after the fact to stoke fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

How many cops were there, 10? Surely they could have subdued him without taking his life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im actually seriously considering cancelling my planned trip to LA later this year over these deaths...I know people may say Im being silly and that if you do nothing wrong they wont go near you and you're more likely to be killed at home etc etc but Im at a stage now where Im just going to be terrified even being in the presence of an american cop, they seem so utterly charged to kill at all times, and when Im nervous I trip or say/do stupid things and they may think Im up to no good and BAM im dead.

I have a week planned in May to see LA and Vegas and Im now at a point where the cops there are making me very close to cancelling it. Not sure what to bloody do. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

Just saw the video, he was battering the head off a police officer, then as they were trying to subdue him it looks like he went for one officers gun, self defense my the cops to shoot him.

Getting walloped in the head by some fella while being surrounded by 6 or 7 of your pals justifies you shooting someone on the deck 6 times point blank, aye right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Seeing as a black cop shot the black man, will the usual racism framing device be used. Or are we just going with evil cops this time.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

One question on stuff like this, Why is his homeless status chucked about so much. Officers attended reports of a Robbery, Tried to detain suspect then shot. You would think the Outrage mongers were trying to generated more outrage. Same with his mental issues, Are the officers trained psychiatrist and able to make a judgement of that. The guy could have been high on crack and acting up. Loads of stuff brought up after the fact to stoke fire.

He could have "been" many things or none of them. Why do the laws of human nature just cease to apply in America? Why does reality just get suspended there and nowhere else? Why does these fantasyland "could-have..." scenarios only exist there? In one traffic incident more shots were fired at a car in the space of a minute than all shots fired by ALL German police for the entire YEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

These are cops, they are trained, so what, they are also only human and are scrutinised in every decision they make and more so in present times, rightly so, however they reacted to an incident and the outcome was awful. Can any of you say you would have made the right decision in such a charged situation. Of course you can say how you would like to react and of course it would be the right outcome and every one lives happily every after. Not very real though is it?

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Seeing as a black cop shot the white man, will the usual racism framing device be used. Or are we just going with evil cops this time.

The white cop shot him, the deceased allegedly reached for the black cops gun.

But I don't think race comes into this one. Homeless people whether white or black will be treated just as brutally by US police.

• Advertisement

In the video, just before he gets shot you can clearly hear the noise of a stun-gun/tazer in operation. If the victim was somehow able to deliberately focus on and reach for a cops gun while this was happening to him, then that's quite an achievement. What's the point of a stun-gun or tazer when they end up having to shoot him anyway?

Also, the fact that 6+ grown men were not able to bring this to a conclusion without using deadly force screams of professional incompetency.

Wide Load wrote: »
    How many cops were there, 10? Surely they could have subdued him without taking his life?

I think the video shows that's what they were trying to do. I'm not sure how often you restrain struggling men on the ground but it's quite a difficult task if they don't want to cooperate. It really makes no difference how many there is once you go over four because there's only so many that can get involved before they just get in each others way and make things more difficult.
    Im actually seriously considering cancelling my planned trip to LA later this year over these deaths...I know people may say Im being silly and that if you do nothing wrong they wont go near you and you're more likely to be killed at home etc etc but Im at a stage now where Im just going to be terrified even being in the presence of an american cop, they seem so utterly charged to kill at all times, and when Im nervous I trip or say/do stupid things and they may think Im up to no good and BAM im dead.

I have a week planned in May to see LA and Vegas and Im now at a point where the cops there are making me very close to cancelling it. Not sure what to bloody do. :confused:

Best to cancel. Not worth worrying about the big bad policeman going to get you. Although most people seem to get on fine once they don't attack or threaten the cop. Not sure if that's something you can commit to not doing though.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Seeing as a black cop shot the white man, will the usual racism framing device be used. Or are we just going with evil cops this time.

The crowd seemed pretty sure he was a black guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Oh I misspoke. My apologies. I am aware he was black however./

stankratz wrote: »
    In the video, just before he gets shot you can clearly hear the noise of a stun-gun/tazer in operation. If the victim was somehow able to deliberately focus on and reach for a cops gun while this was happening to him, then that's quite an achievement. What's the point of a stun-gun or tazer when they end up having to shoot him anyway?

Also, the fact that 6+ grown men were not able to bring this to a conclusion without using deadly force screams of professional incompetency.

Non-lethal weapons don't work on everyone. Have a look at this video of cops using mace on a fella

Most people would be floored with the first spray. Does this mean the cops should stop using mace altogether and just shoot the guy? The fact that the guy in the op is able to resist the taser should surely give you an idea of how hard it would be to cuff him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Man resists arrest, man tries to grab policemans gun, man gets shot. So what.

I would say go. You'll enjoy yourself. LA and Vegas are both sh1tholes but you can have a nice time. Indulge yourself in the food, the booze and the tackiness, just avoid the cops at all costs. Do not deal with them unless you really have to and if you get robbed and you are drunk I wouldn't approach them at all. You'll probably wind up in a cell or the ER yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure could be worse could be an unarmed politician walking the streets of Moscow

Non-lethal weapons don't work on everyone. Have a look at this video of cops using mace on a fella

Most people would be floored with the first spray. Does this mean the cops should stop using mace altogether and just shoot the guy? The fact that the guy in the op is able to resist the taser should surely give you an idea of how hard it would be to cuff him.

If anything that video shows even moreso how unprofessional the cops in the homeless shooting were. The guy in that video is huge and the cops are much, much smaller and still they manage to restrain him despite him having a glass in his hand at one point.

TommyOM wrote: »
    If anything that video shows even moreso how unprofessional the cops in the homeless shooting were. The guy in that video is huge and the cops are much, much smaller and still they manage to restrain him despite him having a glass in his hand at one point.

Yeah, looked like a piece of cake for them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think the video shows that's what they were trying to do. I'm not sure how often you restrain struggling men on the ground but it's quite a difficult task if they don't want to cooperate. It really makes no difference how many there is once you go over four because there's only so many that can get involved before they just get in each others way and make things more difficult.

Best to cancel. Not worth worrying about the big bad policeman going to get you. Although most people seem to get on fine once they don't attack or threaten the cop. Not sure if that's something you can commit to not doing though.

So in your world the only alternative to restraining someone is to kill them.
    Is the life of someone so cheap to you?

Advertisement