Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Ever tried to detain someone with severe mental issues with the adrenalin going they can be freakishly strong ? little different than a wasted punter. You have no idea what the guy was thinking he could have been seeing/fighting zombies for all you know.

Ever seen nurses in a care centre pull a fucking Glock on a disturbed and unhinged patient and blast 5 bullets into him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What's that got to do with what I said?

Because you asked Steadyeddy was he armed. Meaning that if he was that the outcome would have been different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

darced wrote: »

Really, really bad idea.

You are suggesting that he abandon his position of advantage, his ability to see just what the hell the people who outnumber him are doing, and then sit down and wait in the hope that the five-second-firefight which may happen isn't over in the sixty seconds it takes for a friend to show up?

Yeah... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

"he's going for my gun" times 2.

"He has my gun, he has my gun"

He should have took the red pill. Giving him increased focus. Flipped backwards double tapped 2 officers. Then cartwheel shooting the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Do you not know what it means? How would you train someone to overcome their adrenalin response? In fact, how would you identify their adrenalin response to a dangerous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

He should have done this and he should have done that! Easy for us to say when were hiding begin a keyboard. Sure were all experts in the field!

If you have 6 cops on you the last thing you do id try to fight them!!

Of course the American sops are jittery...they walk around with a side arm while the ordinary joe soap has access to weapons designed for the Military.

Would you not be jittery knowing that you could be blow away buy some yobo a fully automatic weapon all because you stop him for a simple traffic violation

You can buy 5.56 Fully Auto Rifle in the states for €450...over here that would get you a Ruger 10/22!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Thats a serious case of bad judgement.

Poor ba$tard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

They could have. And followed a pattern of behavior that indicated they did Ie. Reaching for waist despite repeated warnings while having a gun pointed at them. Unfortunately, police in the US don't issue the new Hindsight 20:20 RayBans.

If a cop is pointing a gun at you, regardless of who is right or wrong, you shut up and do what he or she says. You can work out the particulars later when everyone's calmed down.

If you're an idiot and decide to antagonize a person with a loaded weapon pointed at you, then I would argue that it's getting yourself shot as opposed to being shot.

In this situation it's not even like the junkie had a moral high ground. He was in a suspicious car, crawling around a bad area with fellow meth heads. The cop was just doing his damn job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You can buy 5.56 Fully Auto Rifle in the states for €450...over here that would get you a Ruger 10/22!!!
    Very worrying. Very worrying that you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

diomed wrote: »
    Very worrying. Very worrying that you know that.

It's called Google!

And I own a Ruger 10/22

Sand wrote: »
    Yup, people rushing to judgements and hysterical hyperbole with absolutely no idea of what happened. I'd have hoped the whole Ferguson case might have encouraged people to learn to wait and see what the evidence is, but I guess not.

In case you didn't know. People are not very patient with your "wait and see" proposal when there's no independent investigation. Just a "let the dust settle" and then whitewash, clearing all of any wrongdoing.

Rodney King was battered to within an inch of his life. All caught on camera and the thugs who took turns to batter him didn't so much as serve a second in jail. And that was nearly 25 years ago. You expect people to watch a homeless man getting shot dead and then "wait for an investigation"?
    Wait for the "truth" to come out?

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

YFlyer wrote: »
    Because you asked Steadyeddy was he armed. Meaning that if he was that the outcome would have been different.
    I asked him was he armed because I'm assuming that he wasn't.
    An assault involving guns is completely different from one where there are no guns involved.
    Using your gun, to stop the other person getting it and killing you is always going to be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Gardaí in Ireland have also shot and killed a number of people. And while it's all very good to point out that they regularly arrest people without shooting them, it's easy to forget that 10% of the force is injured every year so it is not an ideal situation by far.

So we improve the situation by bringing in guns? Would that result in less attacks on police?

Egginacup wrote: »
    In case you didn't know. People are not very patient with your "wait and see" proposal when there's no independent investigation. Just a "let the dust settle" and then whitewash, clearing all of any wrongdoing.

Rodney King was battered to within an inch of his life. All caught on camera and the thugs who took turns to batter him didn't so much as serve a second in jail. And that was nearly 25 years ago. You expect people to watch a homeless man getting shot dead and then "wait for an investigation"?

Are you serious?

As opposed to what? Abandon all societal principals and go all ISIS on these cops?

Maybe they're totally in the right? The guy could have had the cops gun. Videos crappy and it's hard to see.

The recent Ferguson fiasco taught me a lesson - wait and see. Originally, I expected the outrage to be true - that a white cop had killed a defenseless, unarmed kid.

But what actually happened was that the kid was trying to rob a store and then rushed at a cop who tried to stop him, while his weapon was drawn. What did he expect to happen?

I'd have the same opinion whether the person is white, black, yellow, whatever. Charge a cop with a weapon pointed at you, expect to get shot. Otherwise you could grab weapon and kill the cop.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So we improve the situation by bringing in guns? Would that result in less attacks on police?

Who said that? You're setting up strawman arguments here.

Guns exist in America in a way they simply do not in Ireland. It's a different country and culture.

[QUOTE=Dean0088;

full video

.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I find this equally as shocking! just because he was crying over the bonnet of the car does'nt make a difference to me.

he walked up to a car with his hand on his weapon and said you making me nervous il ****in shoot you then shot them inside the car!!

Mabye that black cop was balling his eyes out after but he still someone who was handcuffed ,tazered and outnumbered 5 to 1!!

Are you serious?

Actually two of them spent 30 months in jail.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Where did I say that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ever seen nurses in a care centre pull a fucking Glock on a disturbed and unhinged patient and blast 5 bullets into him?

Eh why would they, The patient would not be armed or reaching for a gun.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Who said that? You're setting up strawman arguments here.

Guns exist in America in a way they simply do not in Ireland. It's a different country and culture.

Two posters referred to the increased likelihood of COPS having guns pulled on them in America and in turn the increased likelihood of COPS using guns to prevent being shot. It's time to face up to the fact that this "different culture" may be contributing to the trigger happy events becoming all too common.

I asked him was he armed because I'm assuming that he wasn't.
    An assault involving guns is completely different from one where there are no guns involved.
    Using your gun, to stop the other person getting it and killing you is always going to be a possibility.

Exactly. However Steddyeddy didn't need a gun to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

YFlyer wrote: »
    Exactly. However Steddyeddy didn't need a gun to defend himself.
    Yeah because he's not a police officer working in an American city.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    To be honest I find this equally as shocking! just because he was crying over the bonnet of the car does'nt make a difference to me.

he walked up to a car with his hand on his weapon and said you making me nervous il ****in shoot you then shot them inside the car!!

Mabye that black cop was balling his eyes out after but he still someone who was handcuffed ,tazered and outnumbered 5 to 1!!

The way I see this is that he informed the occupants that they were making him nervous, repeatedly (several damn times) told the guy to stop reaching for his waist, told him he'd shoot if he didn't stop and only after repeated further warnings did he shoot.

Think logically about it. He really didn't want to shoot him. But it's his job to stand there and keep an eye on these guys until backup arrives. He's not allowed to run away - it's not an option because

a) gives occupants times to get gun/hide drugs/get away
    b) It's abandoning your post. It's not allowed and it's a career ending move (and illegal for a cop to do).

The fcuking meth head made a cop shoot him for no reason.

The second guy pulled a knife on me. I punched him hard, he fell down and ran until I made it out into Dame street. I didn't take him out or anything running saved my life there. I realise police can't really run and have to take out the threat to the public but they are far better trained than I am.

A lot of these cases don't involve people pointing guns at police they involved the police pointing guns they involve police using their weapons the minute they get nervous. It's not a good thing.

What was the killed man's name, anyway?

I'd like to know what his name was.

Yeah because he's not a police officer working in an American city.

Totally agree.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    He really did not want to shoot him. He ordered him multiple times to put his hand away from his waist band and fired only after repeated warnings.

The car was suspicious and the occupants were known to cops. He very clearly is torn up over it - particularly the fact that the man was unarmed in the end. However it was a justified kill.

He isn't a coward. Not by any definition of the word. He had no ego or macho crap going on. He pulled over a suspicious vehicle, that's all. The occupant got himself shot.

If you were a cop and some junkie kept moving his hand towards his waistband, ignoring warnings, are you really going to wait until he produces whatever he might be reaching for in a dark car?

Cops are people too. They have families they want to see again. He made the right choice and it was obviously a difficult one for him to make.

No, it doesn't work like that. A cop only has the right to take a life when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE. When his or someone else's life is is danger. Making up excuses about "hands in belts" or "he could be high" do NOT qualify.

If a guy is holed up in a car or a house or he's running away or he's drunk and pissed off and screaming his head off doesn't pass muster.

You sit. You wait. You starve him out. You let him cry himself to sleep or run out of rage. That's why you are paid as a cop. You are not paid to kill someone because you don't have the patience or the brains to outsmart him.

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't work like that. A cop only has the right to take a life when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE. When his or someone else's life is is danger. Making up excuses about "hands in belts" or "he could be high" do NOT qualify.

If a guy is holed up in a car or a house or he's running away or he's drunk and pissed off and screaming his head off doesn't pass muster.

You sit. You wait. You starve him out. You let him cry himself to sleep or run out of rage. That's why you are paid as a cop. You are not paid to kill someone because you don't have the patience or the brains to outsmart him.

This. It's all a bit too reminiscent of South Park's hunters getting around animal protection laws by shouting "it's coming right for us!!!"

Advertisement