Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shoot and Kill Homeless Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Mass protests will happen once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Not again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Is there a link to an article? Or more information? I would like to know what happened but I don't want to watch the video. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

At 20 seconds it sounds like ''He's got my gun''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

in before amazingfun arrives on the scene armed with a full criminal record of the victim and two examples of black on white crime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dancor wrote: »
    At 20 seconds it sounds like ''He's got my gun''

Actually looking at it you can see the suspect reaching around to grab something

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Is there a link to an article? Or more information? I would like to know what happened but I don't want to watch the video. RIP
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/02/los-angeles-police-shoot-dead-homeless-man-after-street-altercation
    Police officers shot and killed a homeless man in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday in a dramatic confrontation caught on video.

Five officers grappled on a pavement with a man known as Africa before shooting him five times in front of horrified onlookers.

The victim, whose full name has not been made public, was pronounced dead shortly after the encounter, which unfolded just before midday in skid row, a neighbourhood of homeless people and shelters close to the financial district.

Sergeant Barry Montgomery, an LAPD spokesman, told LA television station KTLA the incident would be fully investigated. “It’s going to be a long investigation and we will, you know, get to the bottom of it.” The department did not immediately respond to a Guardian request for elaboration.

People at the scene and on social media expressed shock that a scuffle on a busy street in broad daylight ended with lethal force, putting police violence under renewed scrutiny in the wake of protests over fatal encounters in Ferguson, New York and other cities.

People took to Twitter to link the cases. “Here we go. Again,” said @sanacardi. “When will this end??” said @CaileyCron.

Continue reading at the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

That's one way to tackle the homeless problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Chris___ wrote: »
    Actually looking at it you can see the suspect reaching around to grab something

He was tazered and no doubt arms flailing everywhere... he probably got a handle on one of the officers guns and they thought this was valid reason to kill him.

Scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I wonder what was the reason for the need for several police officers in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

They even cuffed the man before they shot him. Psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Americas gun laws are ridiculous.

Nothing will be done until they Democrats are in power of both houses. Even then it might not not.

This is a debate that comes up weekly as this stage and will continue to.

It'll probably take a famous person or political figure to get wrongly killed for anything to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hardly surprising another killing next week and the week after.. Training seems to be an issue on how to deal with people .

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nothing will be done until they Democrats are in power of both houses.

Like between 2008 - 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You have to be a really, really ignorant black person to call a black person who became a cop a "sell out".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

masti123 wrote: »

I had thought so too but wasn't sure. And shooting a handcuffed man 5 times because you claim he reached for your gun?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

5 shots seems excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

masti123 wrote: »

Thats the part I don't get, it makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I remember I used to think I'd love to live in the states..
    The place really has gone bat $hit insane.

• Advertisement

I think it really depends on whether the suspect actually had hold of the officers weapon.
    If he just reached for it, then it would appear from the video the officers over reacted with devastating consequences.
    If however he did have hold of the officers weapon, then I reckon its a lawful killing.

Noxin wrote: »

Completely stoked by the medias love of sensationalism. Watching American news channels is like reading the Daily Mail 24hrs a day. You have to think that this is a policy that is encouraged in the corridors of Washington also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It hasn't really. But if you charge at a cop, try to steal a cop's gun, or wave around an imitation gun, you will most likely be shot and killed because cops are authorised to use force in such situations.

The only reason it seems like things are different is the prevalence of smartphones these days and the fact that some of the victims were black, which the media framed as suggestive of a pattern.

Once you get past the post apocalyptic hellscape, its not so bad.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I think it really depends on whether the suspect actually had hold of the officers weapon.
    If he just reached for it, then it would appear from the video the officers over reacted with devastating consequences.
    If however he did have hold of the officers weapon, then I reckon its a lawful killing.

How hard is it to disarm a man with his hands cuffed behind his back. One officers overreaction to a completely retrievable situation results in another unloading almost his entire weapon into one man lying face down on a pavement. I usually have no truck when scumbags get their comeuppance but this was something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

You have to be a really, really ignorant black person to call a black person who became a cop a "sell out".

Was it not the black cop that fired the lethal shots? I think that was what inspired that remark.

threeball wrote: »
    How hard is it to disarm a man with his hands cuffed behind his back. One officers overreaction to a completely retrievable situation results in another unloading almost his entire weapon into one man lying face down on a pavement. I usually have no truck when scumbags get their comeuppance but this was something else entirely.

Unfortunately, even if someone has cuffs on it takes less than a second to knock off a round.
    If someone grabs an officers gun then they will be shot, it is justifiable.
    I'm not saying that is the case here, I can't tell from the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

That's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

Was the man handcuffed, vefore he was shot?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Unfortunately, even if someone has cuffs on it takes less than a second to knock off a round.
    If someone grabs an officers gun then they will be shot, it is justifiable.
    I'm not saying that is the case here, I can't tell from the video.

Takes a whole lot more in the position he was in. Try it, lie on the ground with your hands behind your back not being able to move one without moving the other then get someone to kneel beside you and try to grab something from their hip. A object that is designed to grip in the opposite direction to the position in which your hand is positioned, then manoeuvre it into a position where you could actually pull the trigger all while having someone leaning/kneeling on you to control you.

Advertisement