Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seifer wrote: »
    Now if they could fix the hand bug (two cards occupying the same space making it impossible to select the second card) and the floating card in the middle of screen I'd be a happy camper (those two are by far the most common and annoying bugs currently).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dunno if they are trying to compensate but my last 5+ dailies are all 60+ gold which I love. Realised I'd never played shaman before yesterday, woops. So finally finished the quest to get all the basic cards.

Ge=reat that they fixed that annoying bug but they have a ridiculous amount to do with this game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Significant blow to the pay to win argument: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1wdi7m/reynad_just_reached_legend_without_spending_a/
    Some streamer has gotten to legend rank without spending a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ah nice, got lucky with a few packs and got a few goldens of the recently changed cards and was able to disenchant them and craft Ragnaros. :D

Hunter Rush decks seem a bit overpowered even minus some of the fancy cards, I think it's fairly balanced though, a good player with a decent control deck just owns them really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

nesf wrote: »
    Ah nice, got lucky with a few packs and got a few goldens of the recently changed cards and was able to disenchant them and craft Ragnaros. :D

Hunter Rush decks seem a bit overpowered even minus some of the fancy cards, I think it's fairly balanced though, a good player with a decent control deck just owns them really hard.

Hunter Rush is fine. Just don't stack your board so they can't UTH combo and play around their secrets. Some healing goes a long way too and they will usually burn out around turn 7 or 8.

Seifer wrote: »
    Significant blow to the pay to win argument: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1wdi7m/reynad_just_reached_legend_without_spending_a/
    Some streamer has gotten to legend rank without spending a penny.

Fair play to him for doing it, shuts a lot of people up. The downside is constructed is now flooded with copies of the deck which gets boring. I've already gone back to double Ooze in my control decks.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Hunter Rush is fine. Just don't stack your board so they can't UTH combo and play around their secrets. Some healing goes a long way too and they will usually burn out around turn 7 or 8.

Stacking the board isn't really the issue, it's them countering Unleash the Hounds by keeping their minion count low and trading even when it's not great for them. If someone can stretch the game long without losing too much health it's a bit tougher to make the deck work without finishers like Leroy + UtH etc. Still a nice deck, that it's counterable is not something I consider a negative (life is boring in any CCG if there's one deck that's basically unstoppable outside of RNG in the current meta).

Stacking the board isn't really the issue, it's them countering Unleash the Hounds by keeping their minion count low and trading even when it's not great for them. If someone can stretch the game long without losing too much health it's a bit tougher to make the deck work without finishers like Leroy + UtH etc. Still a nice deck, that it's counterable is not something I consider a negative (life is boring in any CCG if there's one deck that's basically unstoppable outside of RNG in the current meta).

Taunts and heals are becoming a must have in the current meta. Especially now since Reynads deck and similar are popping up also. The flip side is a lot of rush decks are running Black Knight and silence.

It's why I enjoy the game so much in fairness, to stay competitive you need to change your decks on a near daily basis to keep up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Getting to legendary was already done for free by mages, it's just the flavour of the time which changes. I don't think there is any problem getting to legendary without legendaries if you are good like reynad and can build a deck well. But that's like being a pubstar in any game, if you look at the stream you can see a lot of bad players vs him. It's not like this deck would beat competitive decks however, which you also generally need 4+ of per match and they need to change a lot. Still, great achievement, now lets follow in his footsteps.

You're way ahead of me with your 1 legendary nesf :D Guy in work saw that I play and he does too, however he will run me over with rag, tinkmaster, sylvanas, tinkmaster, nat pagle etc
    i need to catch up!

I set up hearthstone on my phone streaming from my pc for the laugh, 1080p phone hearthstone is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's why I enjoy the game so much in fairness, to stay competitive you need to change your decks on a near daily basis to keep up.
    This; my Shaman deck worked excellently a week ago with consitent 60%+ win ratio; now I'm winning 30% because the rush style decks are to quick (lack of draw) or I'm out monstered (giant decks).

Then again my Warlock Murloc deck is still doing fine; I had a shaman quit on the third turn at 20 health realizing he was unlikely to win. I'm inclined to build a rush hunter deck due to the below video; it simply looks very fun (and hunters were suppose to suck! :p ).

#
    You're way ahead of me with your 1 legendary nesf :D

4 actually. Pity the others are Hogger, Illiiadin and Velen. What a waste of such "good pack rng." :P

The standard has definitely dropped a bit in Arena since OB started. Done 3 runs last night and went 9, 8 and 11 when I used to average 7ish so if you haven't started yet now is a good time to learn.

You will still get good players after 5ish wins due to the match making but the first few games can be very easy going now. Shamans coining out totems etc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting pretty bored with the game now. I know it's still only a beta but they need to offer more variety to keep people interested, leagues and pick-up tournaments would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Getting pretty bored with the game now. I know it's still only a beta but they need to offer more variety to keep people interested, leagues and pick-up tournaments would be nice.
    Aye, i just wait for 3 quests to build up, play some arena and repeat.

That's find with me though :D

We could organise our own informal tournaments and keep mixing it up, e.g. Open, Certain Heroes only, Basic Cards only, One Legendary only, Pauper (only commons), only odd mana costs or whatever silly/interesting/whatever restriction you can come up with.

The main thing with keeping these kinds of games interesting is to give people a reason to play something other than their "tournament decks." Otherwise grinding out the same decks in Ranked gets boring and Arena is ok but lacks the strategy of draft proper with fixed teams and boosters being shared because none of your card picks affects your opponents and you can't see "missing cards" which give you hints about what you'll be facing (mainly I think this is because it makes Arena more casual friendly, otherwise people new to CCGs would be getting slaughtered even more obviously by experienced people).

Some ideas anyway.

Ok, there's some interest so I've set a tourney bracket up. I've used this site before for casual tournaments in other games, it seems to work fine, it's just an online bracket generator, you can sign up as usual or with Facebook or Twitter.

People can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/2RZyzsP1XU

Now we just need to agree a format. I'd propose Swiss Pauper (Basic + Commons only) with maybe a ban on Hunters due to encourage people to play something else! :P

Any other ideas? I've capped it at 12 people just for a first run. Anyone who signs up will want to identify who they are on here (I'm Boidhre) and we'll have to work out some way of sharing battletags since some people might want to keep them private?

There's no start date set or anything until we agree on a format. I'm thinking we could alternate more serious formats like Pauper with silly stuff (only 1 of each card, no Legendaries, and similar) if people wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Good idea! Signed up as Fastpaws.

Btw if you want to see how "op" the legendaries are I strongly recommend TBs "Lord of Legendaries" series (episode 1 below) which is crafted deck with EVERY legendary possible (28 of 'em!) :P

Sounds good to me nesf will sign up soon. Had a good laugh at those vids before, he got trump to try it with him.

Some numbers for full sets, can convert 1:1 for euro really:

"For a full collection you need to open 497 packs ($621), 2442 packs ($3052) for all golden cards, on average. If you are only doing dailies it would take 2,4 years (12,1 years for golden).
    If you would always draw 4 neutrals and 1 rare you would need 2243 packs (10718 for golden)."

Not going to want a lot of the **** cards and can DE a bit. So far, unlucky on the aul RNG. So about a year and a half, without taking into account arenas, also when there will be new cards.

• Advertisement

Ok, there's some interest so I've set a tourney bracket up. I've used this site before for casual tournaments in other games, it seems to work fine, it's just an online bracket generator, you can sign up as usual or with Facebook or Twitter.

People can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/2RZyzsP1XU

Now we just need to agree a format. I'd propose Swiss Pauper (Basic + Commons only) with maybe a ban on Hunters due to encourage people to play something else! :P

Any other ideas? I've capped it at 12 people just for a first run. Anyone who signs up will want to identify who they are on here (I'm Boidhre) and we'll have to work out some way of sharing battletags since some people might want to keep them private?

There's no start date set or anything until we agree on a format. I'm thinking we could alternate more serious formats like Pauper with silly stuff (only 1 of each card, no Legendaries, and similar) if people wanted.

Whatever about banning legendaries, using just Basic + common is way over the top. Every deck will be the same which is boring.

Sounds good to me nesf will sign up soon. Had a good laugh at those vids before, he got trump to try it with him.

Some numbers for full sets, can convert 1:1 for euro really:

"For a full collection you need to open 497 packs ($621), 2442 packs ($3052) for all golden cards, on average. If you are only doing dailies it would take 2,4 years (12,1 years for golden).
    If you would always draw 4 neutrals and 1 rare you would need 2243 packs (10718 for golden)."

Not going to want a lot of the **** cards and can DE a bit. So far, unlucky on the aul RNG. So about a year and a half, without taking into account arenas, also when there will be new cards.

Arena is by far the best way to make gold and get cards. Spending gold directly on packs is a bad idea even if you aren't very good at Arena. Once you get good enough to consistently hit 4 or 5 wins on average (which isn't hard just takes some practice) the gold return is much better than buying packs directly with gold. If you can manage to hit 7 or 8 wins average then building your collection can be done in a few weeks.

Whatever about banning legendaries, using just Basic + common is way over the top. Every deck will be the same which is boring.

I'm totally open to ideas here, nothing is set in stone. I'd agree that Pauper is more interesting in Magic due to a much larger card pool and hybrid deck options.

I'm totally open to ideas here, nothing is set in stone. I'd agree that Pauper is more interesting in Magic due to a much larger card pool and hybrid deck options.

From the posts it does seem most people on here have little more than basics and maybe a few rares so leaving it totally open might be too much of an advantage. Maybe something like everything up to rares are fair game and limit epics to 2 per deck?

I'll happily go with whatever the majority want but everything up to rares should be fair game at the least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Soul-bound only :P

From the posts it does seem most people on here have little more than basics and maybe a few rares so leaving it totally open might be too much of an advantage. Maybe something like everything up to rares are fair game and limit epics to 2 per deck?

I'll happily go with whatever the majority want but everything up to rares should be fair game at the least imo.

My thinking was that we'd try and make tournaments fast and switch formats a lot. Varying from Open to quite Restricted. Or just simply running perhaps three simultaneous tournaments with generous amounts of time to get your game for the round done offering a range of formats.

Personally I'm fine with Open, I don't really care if someone has better cards than me since it's only bragging rights on offer but I would like something more restricted for the new people trying to go free to play and especially for people new to CCGs (I still have bad memories of what I was trying to make work in L5R a decade ago!).

A poll might be an idea? I don't know.

My thinking was that we'd try and make tournaments fast and switch formats a lot. Varying from Open to quite Restricted. Or just simply running perhaps three simultaneous tournaments with generous amounts of time to get your game for the round done offering a range of formats.

Personally I'm fine with Open, I don't really care if someone has better cards than me since it's only bragging rights on offer but I would like something more restricted for the new people trying to go free to play and especially for people new to CCGs (I still have bad memories of what I was trying to make work in L5R a decade ago!).

A poll might be an idea? I don't know.

Yeah maybe try a poll and see what people want to do!

Yeah maybe try a poll and see what people want to do!

Poll up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138294#

If people feel there are missing options I'm sure one of the mods can alter the poll for us. :)

The ladder just reset. Everyone back to 25. :)

• Advertisement

The ladder just reset. Everyone back to 25. :)

I had a nice 10 game winning streak and then started meeting actual decks. I got quite sick of the Hunter Rush Deck at that point, I don't enjoy aggro much I just use aggro decks for grinding because of games/hour reasons. Back to control for a while anyway, I'm having a nice run with a priest build at the moment and enjoying a shaman one as well.

Advertisement