Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Gbear wrote: »
    I only have 4 options - Heroes of the Storm, Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

The hearthstone option will be gone as they have closed beta applications. Double check your email accounts, it might be in spam/promotions etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Been playing this off and on for about 4-5 weeks. It really is brilliant. My problem though is getting time to play it. I've no laptop just a crappy old desktop (runs it fine but is a pain to get to use!).

Any word on when the iPad version will be released? I heard it was fully playable back at Blizzcon on it so surely it must be close. Although, maybe there's an issue with releasing a game in "beta" on Apple devices?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anyone wrote: »
    If you signed up, a key is in your mail, as they sent out invites to everyone who opted in prior to Jan the 7th. Check your email's spam folder, I know gmail sent them to peoples spam folders.

Not necessarily. The official forums are full of people who signed up and opted in and never got an email with a key. Blizzard posts about how everyone who opted in "should have a key by now" has made a lot of people fairly miffed.

I thankfully have a key and have been playing since December but I feel their pain.

The ranks reset there a few daya ago so im working my way back up fairly rapidly. Win streaks help. I have quite alot of the cards at this stage including a bunch of legendaries. Tirion fordring is ridiculous. Hes gonna get nerfed at some stage. the two im missing are ysera and the black knight. I might just have to save up some dust and craftthem.

Everyone seems to live for arena....but i prefer constructed. Maybe im weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kirby wrote: »

Everyone seems to live for arena....but i prefer constructed. Maybe im weird.

I'm the same, I can't stand the randomness of arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Latest card changes here.

All pretty fair I think but Novice Engineer will be coming out of all my decks.

I enjoy the arena a lot more than constructed; it could just be the rewards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kirby wrote: »
    Not necessarily. The official forums are full of people who signed up and opted in and never got an email with a key. Blizzard posts about how everyone who opted in "should have a key by now" has made a lot of people fairly miffed.

I thankfully have a key and have been playing since December but I feel their pain.

This! I have been opted in since June and have not got one, I was totally prepared to spend money on this but couldnt be arsed now if im honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Unleash the Hounds’ mana cost is now 2 (down from 4)

Unleash the Hounds was intended to give Hunters their own form of AoE and to have synergy with other beast cards, but its old cost was too prohibitive.
    And explosive trap, snake trap, double shot, explosive shot etc. are what, single target? And of course no comment on how it will interact with Buzzard (which is how I see it played most times with a Kodo for charge to ensure card draw).
    Pyroblast’s mana cost is now 10 (up from 8)

The 8-cost Pyroblast made for an un-interactive experience where the Mage only needed to do 10 damage during the course of a game and then double Pyroblast you for the win. We want Mages to be more interactive with the opponent to achieve victory, rather than delay the game until they can Pyroblast.
    Another knife in the mage deck (and compared to for example Onyxia, Ysera, Ragnaros or Deathwing which all cost less or same it's not exactly a favorable comparison). Besides if you let a mage stall you until turn 9 (with turn 8 with out playing anything) and not having them almost dead/dead AND no healing/shielding AND they drawing 2 out of 30 cards in the whole deck you deserve to die... What's the difference with a double/triple giant drop on turn 8?
    Blood Imp is now a 0/1 and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health.

The Warlock has three very strong 1-cost minions and that made the Warlock rush deck slightly stronger than we were comfortable with.
    So it's a young priestess losing 2 attack for stealth. And strong rush deck? Could that possibly be because you're giving the Warlock a cheap cards with card throw to compensate for the cost?! Wonder why you'd rush then as a Warlock (there are only three class specific 1 mana costs, 3/2 with 3 damage to caster which was bumped from 2 last patch, 1/3 taunt and the imp so yea, ton of 1 cost creatures there) when you're constantly losing health/cards over your opponent...
    Warsong Commander has been reworked and now reads: Whenever you play a minion with 3 or less Attack, give it Charge.
    No more one turn kill giant rush decks for warriors.
    Charge (the spell, not the keyword) has been reworked and now costs 3 mana. The card’s new power reads: “Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and Charge”.

Both of these cards were key components in “One Turn Kill” or “OTK” decks that kill your opponent in one turn without requiring any cards on the board. We want the game to be about playing minions and fighting for board control rather than just waiting until you can play your big combo and win in one turn with no interaction from your opponent.
    Yea, because that's with cards that reduce our opponent to 15 health, stealth 7/5 creatures etc. we'd never try that.
    Abusive Sergeant now reads: Battlecry: Give a minion +2 Attack until end of turn.

Abusive Sergeant was changed to make its power the same as the Dark Iron Dwarf and to give it additional versatility.
    That was always the ability or am I tripping?
    Dark Iron Dwarf’s buff now only lasts until the end of the turn.

This change was made to reduce the Dark Iron Dwarf’s overall power slightly. We also wanted to make the Battlecry effect the same as Abusive Sergeant‘s as to not force you to permanently buff one of your opponent’s creatures.
    So we can go ahead and remove them and replace with other 4 cost creatures instead (such as Ancient Brewmaster, Chillwind Yeti, Dragonling Mechanic, Violet Teacher etc.) as an Abusive sarge will do the same job for 1 mana rather then 4.
    Defender of Argus is now a 2/3 (down from 3/3)

Defender of Argus was a card that found itself automatically included in many decks due to its power and stats. We want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks, so cards that feel like they must be in all decks (especially Neutral ones) are not ideal.
    Except as many other cards they will still be there because what you bring the card for is the effect (taunt +1/+1) more then anything else (Why hello there Shattered Sun Cleric).
    Novice Engineer is now a 1/1 (down from 1/2)

The Novice Engineer was played in most non-rush decks (and even some rush decks) due to its cost and power. Similar in reasoning to our Defender of Argus change, we want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks.
    Will still be there as cheap card draw (no one brought it because it was a 1/2 for 2) or possibly replaced by the Loot hoarder if you want attack power so no real change. Oh and you better get Arch Mage Thalnos now as mandatory I guess...
    Sylvanas Windrunner’s mana cost is now 6 (up from 5)

Sylvanas had power and stats that made it a bit too powerful compared to other 5-cost cards, which made it automatically included in many decks. We want players to have an option of what cards they put in their decks, so cards that feel like they must be in all decks (especially Neutral ones) are not ideal.
    Seeing how her ability rarely kicked in against a smart player it's a bit dubious but most people DID run her so I can see why they decided to do it but I also see her going away for other cards (Harpy, Sunwalker, Black knight, Gelbin, Cairne, Venture Co Merc, Fen Creeper etc. all come to mind).

Just to get a little debate going:
    Nody wrote: »
    Besides if you let a mage stall you until turn 9 (with turn 8 with out playing anything) and not having them almost dead/dead AND no healing/shielding AND they drawing 2 out of 30 cards in the whole deck you deserve to die... What's the difference with a double/triple giant drop on turn 8?
    Except mages have a ton of cards designed to stall with Ice Block being the most egregous. The difference to dropping creatures vs. instant damage is that you get a chance to counter on your turn.
    So it's a young priestess losing 2 attack for stealth. And strong rush deck? Could that possibly be because you're giving the Warlock a cheap cards with card throw to compensate for the cost?! Wonder why you'd rush then as a Warlock (there are only three class specific 1 mana costs, 3/2 with 3 damage to caster which was bumped from 2 last patch, 1/3 taunt and the imp so yea, ton of 1 cost creatures there) when you're constantly losing health/cards over your opponent...
    The problem was it was very hard to shut the rush down when everything automatically had +1 health as soon as it was played. They're not trying to stop people rushing; just making it more counterable.
    That was always the ability or am I tripping?
    No, it was give a friendly minion +2
    So we can go ahead and remove them and replace with other 4 cost creatures instead (such as Ancient Brewmaster, Chillwind Yeti, Dragonling Mechanic, Violet Teacher etc.) as an Abusive sarge will do the same job for 1 mana rather then 4.
    Not really, you still end up with a 4/4 on the board + the battlecry.
    Seeing how her ability rarely kicked in against a smart player it's a bit dubious but most people DID run her so I can see why they decided to do it but I also see her going away for other cards (Harpy, Sunwalker, Black knight, Gelbin, Cairne, Venture Co Merc, Fen Creeper etc. all come to mind).
    She'll still be very strong. Her ability doesn't kick in only when your opponent deals with in some way. She is still very likely to trade two cards for one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seifer wrote: »
    Just to get a little debate going:

Except mages have a ton of cards designed to stall with Ice Block being the most egregous. The difference to dropping creatures vs. instant damage is that you get a chance to counter on your turn.
    And they would need to have dropped that by turn 7; also keeping in mind that Blizzard is 6 mana, Pyroblast on turn 8. Two frost novas in between would still leave you at least 5 turns to beat on the mage and that's assuming they pull a frost control deck and manage to pull all relevant cards for it. Once again; please tell me how any of the cards mentioned would not trump a Pyroblast in most scenarios?
    The problem was it was very hard to shut the rush down when everything automatically had +1 health as soon as it was played. They're not trying to stop people rushing; just making it more counterable.
    It was perfectly removable for most people, multi shot, Arcane explosion, magic missile, fan of knives, knife juggler, Mad Pyromancer etc. all can easily take out the imp during the first two turns (I should know I run a Warlock murlock deck with two in them). Also keep in mind it's down 2 attack vs. young priestess AND is a class specific card (which are stronger then common pool cards see fen creeper vs. druid of the claw for example). It's a knee jerk reaction that will not greatly affect a rush deck but simply be annoying (I expect at least one full board wipe per game with my Murloc deck) and leave Warlocks with a weaker then common pool card (at least the young priestess will trade with something / deal damage before dying most times if they don't burn a removal on 1 cost card). I guess I know were I'll slot in some soul fires or giants now...
    Not really, you still end up with a 4/4 on the board + the battlecry.
    And that battle cry lasts one turn, instead I can return a minion to my hand and have a 5/4, or a 3/5 with taunt, or 3/5 that spawns new creatures when I cast spells etc. Simply put 4/4 with a one turn effect is not exactly strong recommendation any more.
    She'll still be very strong. Her ability doesn't kick in only when your opponent deals with in some way. She is still very likely to trade two cards for one.
    Most of the cards I mention should trade at least 2 cards, in cases such as the Sun walker you may even get 3 for one (or 2 and a damage card due to divine shield).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

To those who haven't got a key, it seems that Blizzard have flagged those accounts who opted in prior to the 7th of Jan.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11222602649

So, you may not have gotten a key, but your account might be flagged which will allow you to play.

• Advertisement

And they would need to have dropped that by turn 7; also keeping in mind that Blizzard is 6 mana, Pyroblast on turn 8. Two frost novas in between would still leave you at least 5 turns to beat on the mage and that's assuming they pull a frost control deck and manage to pull all relevant cards for it. Once again; please tell me how any of the cards mentioned would not trump a Pyroblast in most scenarios?
    There's also Cone of Cold, Mirror Image, Polymorph and Frostbolt to stall with. The giants may trump pyroblast now at the new mana cost; it's yet to be seen but previously it goes back to the fact to that the giants can be dealt with e.g. hex, assassinate, humility, execute, etc. where as the Pyroblast damage happens instantly.
    It was perfectly removable for most people, multi shot, Arcane explosion, magic missile, fan of knives, knife juggler, Mad Pyromancer etc. all can easily take out the imp during the first two turns (I should know I run a Warlock murlock deck with two in them). Also keep in mind it's down 2 attack vs. young priestess AND is a class specific card (which are stronger then common pool cards see fen creeper vs. druid 4/4 charge or 4/6 taunt for example). It's a knee jerk reaction that will not greatly affect a rush deck but simply be annoying (I expect at least one full board wipe per game with my Murloc deck) and leave Warlocks with a weaker then common pool card (at least the young priestess will trade with something / deal damage before dying most times if they don't burn a removal on 1 cost card).
    Yeah, I have a Murlock deck too and have played against enough of them. You're not guaranteed to have those AoE clears in your starting hand and a few of them relied on RNG. And I'm not sure why you keep going on about the attack value; you never attacked with a Blood Imp unless you were going to wipe your own board, win the game or out of desperation.
    And that battle cry lasts one turn, instead I can return a minion to my hand and have a 5/4, or a 3/5 with taunt, or 3/5 that spawns new creatures when I cast spells etc. Simply put 4/4 with a one turn effect is not exactly strong recommendation any more.
    The other slight buff to consider is that it can now be played onto your own empty board while your opponent has minions out without buffing them. But I think I will probably be dropping them from my decks.
    Most of the cards I mention should trade at least 2 cards, in cases such as the Sun walker you may even get 3 for one (or 2 and a damage card due to divine shield).
    All they did was increase her mana cost by 1; what made her the best legendary before is still intact though she may not be top of the pile anymore. She won't be disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How often can you get enough gold to enter the arena in this and is the arena ranked so im not put up against an expert straight away? I've only played this small bit, mainly trying to level up all classes but dont fancy spending real money on gold to buy cards and enter the arean. What kind of rewards do you get from the arena?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I can usually get 3-4 runs a week on the arena without any big wins.

With a big win, probably 6-7 runs.

Arena your put against people on the same win ratio as you. So 0-0 vs 0-0 if possible, 1-0 vs 1-0, 0-2 vs 0-2, etc.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How often can you get enough gold to enter the arena in this and is the arena ranked so im not put up against an expert straight away? I've only played this small bit, mainly trying to level up all classes but dont fancy spending real money on gold to buy cards and enter the arean. What kind of rewards do you get from the arena?
    The daily quest is worth between 40 and 60 gold (and remove the once you don't want to do) and 10 gold for each third victory with one class. Arena wins give one package guaranteed and then gold and dust at various amounts depending on how well you've done over all.

Personally I've never paid for arena but I play a couple of games a week from the gold I've earned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can also get 100 gold daily quest, have gotten a few. ALways remove a 40 gold quest, however it is bugged atm so dont.

You can also get 100 gold daily quest, have gotten a few. ALways remove a 40 gold quest, however it is bugged atm so dont.
    I'm the other way around; 100 gold tend to take far to long for my taste :pac: My ideal is 3 wins (any class), 3 wins (class X, Y which is for classes I got decks I want to play) and the third being kill X critters/play X critters/deal 100 damage to hero type of quest so I can do them all in one go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I also like to do them all in one go like that but when you have win 7 times for 100 gold I'm always half way there by completing another daily. Then you wait for the next daily to come though and it's no extra effort to finish the 100g daily as you have to complete the new daily etc. You can also have more than 3 dailies, it stacks to about 6 I believe. I never set out to do teh 100g one on it's own because yep, that's time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Got an invite two days ago, I couldn't remember if I'd applied or not to the beta I've been pretty distracted the last while etc. It's fun enough, lacks some of the mechanics I'd expect from MtG and similar but I can understand Blizzard wanting to rule out any "Blue style control decks" and whatnot. It would turn off casual players quite easily I suppose. Control decks and the countering thereof require more study than say learning how to counter fast rush decks pretty much regardless of system that you're in.

Fixed as of this evening (as I just cancelled a rogue/warrior quest and got deal 100 damage to hero) also for anyone thinking of playing a murloc rush deck keep in mind it WILL boost your enemy as well (just had someone hand me victory that way :P ).

What is a blue style control deck vs a control deck?
    I think hearthstone is very RNGy atm but also that MTG was at the start too (I'm told), and as it becomes more well established it may be less so. For now RNG attracts newer players an d viewers. Never played a CCG before but love this.

• Advertisement

What is a blue style control deck vs a control deck?

You can't do anything ever unless I let you or you have the correct counters, basically. Possibly the most annoying ones are deck milling ones that essentially just remove or kill anything you play that's threatening, counter any spells and then win by forcing discards from your deck over and over (you lose in MtG instantly if you have to draw a card and have none left).

Decks like these are not fun for casual players to play against as they're pretty frustrating for many people. They're also not the easiest thing to build and play effectively (which is a bigger problem for Blizzard because it and similar technical decks based off rule features are trickier for casual players to make work compared to fast aggro or combo decks which have an easier to understand method of play in some forms at least, not that either can't be quite complicated).

Ah yes, the wanker deck, I like. Have to say i enjoy building decks, every time I go to play I delete the deck I'm going to use and make a new one. Can't wait until there are more cards, not that I own many yet.

Open Beta is going to roll out over the next few days. It just started in NA.

Easy wins! I've already noticed an influx of completely new players from the latest addition of players. I look at them in fondness, was me but a few weeks ago. :D

Coin into totem and you know it's going to be an easy game :D

He might be preparing a OTK with Bloodlust :P

Also one of the guys I subscribe to for HS videos made a good one about if HS is "Pay to win" or not.

He makes highlight videos a few times a week over current top end decks from various sources and try them out as well. If you're intersted in HS decks and how various decks play out I can highly recommend them.

If a game is more pay-to-win than another that doesn't make the latter not pay-to-win, that said hearthstone is pretty fair about it. There are other things that they can sell to make money apart from cards, like dota 2.
    Must have a look at his other vids, cheers

You know there isn't enough variety yet when You can tell if somebody is terrible from their first minion and so on (not talking about the totem haha). Very limited pool yet but should be fun having it increase in time.

Also one of the guys I subscribe to for HS videos made a good one about if HS is "Pay to win" or not.

People think HS is Pay to Win???? I imagine it'll change because the current model is too biased towards playing for free. In almost every major F2P I've played there was some strong incentive to pay something into the game each month even if you were active, with HS beyond an optional purchasing of packs to speed up the initial grind I don't see much reason for an active player to be putting money in, only people with little time to play who want cards faster.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    People think HS is Pay to Win???? I imagine it'll change because the current model is too biased towards playing for free. In almost every major F2P I've played there was some strong incentive to pay something into the game each month even if you were active, with HS beyond an optional purchasing of packs to speed up the initial grind I don't see much reason for an active player to be putting money in, only people with little time to play who want cards faster.
    The complaint came because of the legendaries required in a top (i.e. rank 7+) deck (and as the balance/deck types swing you need different once which require a lot of dust to craft 'em all) and people hence claimed it's "pay to win" because you can't craft a deck taking you to tier 1 from the basic cards (yea, hefty leaning to pay to win I know :pac: )

Advertisement