Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not a big deal at all, newer players overrate taunt. It doesn't matter if he goes for your face on turn one or two, it's letting you set up board control and better minions. Your HP is a resource, it only has to be above 0, use it to gain advantages if you can. Taunt minions have lower stats than vanilla minions so one could just remove your low level taunt minions efficiently, making a better trade. You really want to maximize the value each card gives you.
    Problem is not that taunt is overrated but rather the stats on most taunters are simply poor for the job. 1/2, 1/4, 1/7, 3/3, 5/4, 6/5 etc. are all bad for taunters because they are either easily removable (3/4/5 health at 3/5/6 mana cost = remove for less mana then cost of card) or they don't deal enough damage back (1/2, 1/4, 1/7 and they can run creatures into it and kill it for no loss). The good early/mid game taunters really are:
    1/3 (Warlock only because it's 1 mana)
    3/6 (swamp walker)
    3/5 (Kazinga!)
    4/5 (Only because of divine shield giving a likely two+ card trade)
    4/6 (druid only and flexibility on top, what's not to love?)

Basically once you get to the lord of arena (6/5) you could also have gone Ogre warrior (6/7); both cost the same but the 6/5 will die a lot faster and the Ogre warrior will force the enemy to deal with it or it trades to well... Same is true with Knife juggler (3/2); play it and you're guaranteed your opponent will go for it with or with out taunt but you pay only 2 mana for it (and if your opponent don't kill it you can keep throwing those knives). Taunt simply forces your opponents hand but if your creatures are scary enough they'll do the job just as well as a taunt creature.

You can make a case for the 3/3 bear as a hunter if you play an appropiate deck; same is true with a warrior weapon heavy deck and the dread captain but those are exceptions to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I got a Big Game Hunter in pack the other day.

Is it better to go with him or a Mind Control on a priest? Shadow Word: Death kinda fulfills the same role, albeit I don't get a free minion too.

Or are they so important that I should have 1 of each?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, essentially what I meant by vanilla cards having better stats, you don't need the lower level taunts because the stats suck, it doesn't matter if they go for your face - you may prefer it, you will trade better with non-taunt minions, not only that but the plethora of spells that kill low hp minions efficiently dealing 1/2/3 damage. Also taunt is a useless early game mechanic compared to the likes of card draw, as well as the stats. And as you say, things like a 6/5 are quite bad because of the low HP, I adore running into the likes of Lord of the arena because it's just generally an easy kill having the same HP as yeti for 2 mana more. Much more usefull is argent to give +1/+ and taunt to two minions.

I'm not sure about mirror image, I've been using it a lot with mana wyrm, knife juggler but I'm not sure if I should use it tbh. However when it works out and I get 2 of them with mana wyrm and a coin with arcane missiles or something at the start it's pretty funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gbear wrote: »
    I got a Big Game Hunter in pack the other day.

Is it better to go with him or a Mind Control on a priest? Shadow Word: Death kinda fulfills the same role, albeit I don't get a free minion too.

Or are they so important that I should have 1 of each?

Personally I'd run both right now (but not BGH in arena as there are a lot more lower atk minions drafted), you will see the usefulness of BGH rise and fall with he use of very big minions but I do generally run into a minion to use it on, it also leaves a body on the board. It's a great card imo. You have to judge the flexibility of SWD vs BGH and just see what you are coming up against, if people are rushing a lot with low atk minions then BGH is not needed.

If you are playing and note that BGH would be very useful to have a lot you can stick him in your deck for the next match etc. Whereas SWD is always useful. I don't have the card but I'd love to have it vs all the ragnaros' etc that I run into atm and lot of big druid minions.

EDIT: as I said the meta really affects this card, and people are generally running tinkmaster instead of it now, as that can always be used. Still a great card during certain trends, was in every deck for a while

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not sure about mirror image, I've been using it a lot with mana wyrm, knife juggler but I'm not sure if I should use it tbh. However when it works out and I get 2 of them with mana wyrm and a coin with arcane missiles or something at the start it's pretty funny.
    It's worth it if you run mana wyrm and in a few other decks because it's very cheap and most importantly gives 2 creatures (forcing two removals rather than one which means two cards burned or two attacks absorbed for the mana cost at least). Obviously less use mid/late game when there's a high probability of AoE abilities coming into play taking them out "for free" (i.e. they were going to AoE your board anyway).

Oh and if you REALLY want to upset your opponent run a control taunt druid deck. Nothing brings a smile to your face to see your opponent burn 3+ cards to remove that 5/10 taunt blueberry only to play a second one the following turn followed by an 8/8 on the third :P (esp. if you managed to bait out the hex/poly etc. on one of your druids of the claws earlier).

• Advertisement

I love that blueberry, its my favourite card! Wanted it for ages.

Has anyone come across people deliberately taking as long as they can to try to make you quit?

Yeah people do do that, very annoying, but sometimes its a bug and they cant end turn and you are both stuck.

Yeah people do do that, very annoying, but sometimes its a bug and they cant end turn and you are both stuck.

This guy (i've it played in windowed mode so I can go on reddit to pass the time) is mostly not doing anything up until right before the countdown timer is right about to go.

ya he is being an asshole. very annoying those people.

I jsut used thought steal and got ragnaros and truesilver, now that was an easy game, lmao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nody wrote: »
    Oh and if you REALLY want to upset your opponent run a control taunt druid deck. Nothing brings a smile to your face to see your opponent burn 3+ cards to remove that 5/10 taunt blueberry only to play a second one the following turn followed by an 8/8 on the third :P (esp. if you managed to bait out the hex/poly etc. on one of your druids of the claws earlier).

Control taunt druid decks don't run those two taunts. They're way too vulnerable to removal/silence/mindcontrol/Big Game Hunter etc and they're too slow to get out to deal with fast aggro decks which are the only reason for taunt heavy druid decks at the moment anyway. Big taunts are generally a bad idea because your opponents above the early rankings should have some kind of removal in hand before you can play these. They're bloody awesome in arena though because people generally lack removal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Gotta love that Blizzard sense of humour. 10-3 arena run:

UpbvUtU.jpg

Seifer wrote: »
    Gotta love that Blizzard sense of humour. 10-3 arena run:
    Who cares what golden card you get; it's all to be dusted anyway :P

Must save up and do an arena some time! I miss them, mostly just playing constructed and by the time I get 100 gold I just want a delicious pack. My last 3 epics, not that I have many epics, have all been brawl, great... also the rare in my pack last night was angry chicken again haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Must save up and do an arena some time! I miss them, mostly just playing constructed and by the time I get 100 gold I just want a delicious pack. My last 3 epics, not that I have many epics, have all been brawl, great... also the rare in my pack last night was angry chicken again haha.
    My last legendary was Alexstrassa; sadly she was the third Alexstrassa I got (while still missing several others and only duplicate legendary I've ever got as well) :(
    Anyone wrote: »
    Done / seen some of those mistakes; I had a guy who coined into totem on turn 1 :P

Nody wrote: »
    My last legendary was Alexstrassa; sadly she was the third Alexstrassa I got (while still missing several others and only duplicate legendary I've ever got as well) :(

Done / seen some of those mistakes; I had a guy who coined into totem on turn 1 :P
    First world problems! I still have my mukla only and half the time he may cause me to lose :D

I've see a coin unleash the hounds onto an empty board, coin innervate and do nothing etc haha. You see some very funny stuff.

Do you guys do arenas or just buy packs?

If I have the time I'll do Arena but if not I'll simply buy gold packages instead.

Always arena; I find it way more fun than constructed and you get more packs in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

My worst Dennis moment was 1st or 2nd game after I opened Tirion. Facing a filled board by my opponent, I had only 1 part of the board clear combo(Equality). So my plan was to cast Equality and then Tirion. I of course played Tirion first, and then Equality. I didnt even end turn or concede, I actually alt f4'd.

As for packs vs Arena, I dont have the time for Arena, so its packs for me. I prefer constructed though which also influences the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Turn 2 worgen.

Turn 3 bomber. All 3 of my bombs hit my worgen.

:/

Is Coin -> Wild Growth a good turn 1 move for druid? To me it seems like you're ceding turn 1 coin use for board control for effectively getting a coin every turn (until 10 mana).

Is Coin -> Wild Growth a good turn 1 move for druid? To me it seems like you're ceding turn 1 coin use for board control for effectively getting a coin every turn (until 10 mana).

Wild Growth isn't good for druid usually by the time you've mana to spare for it you don't need the extra mana gem usually and it's a dead card in hand early game normally.

In Arena, eh, it's still bad outside of coin + WG when you've a terrible starting hand but I wouldn't pick Wild Growth unless the other two cards were truly terrible.

This would be the optimal time to use it yes as you gain maximum benefit from it. There are obviously exceptions depending on what they do first.

Drawing it mid game sucks but at least in late game you can cycle it into another card.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

You don't have to complete an arena run in a single sitting so I'm not sure why people think it takes too much time. You can back out of it after a match and resume again at a later time. This is what I like to do anyways.

I think it takes long because you have to top it up with constructed to get enough to play it - and then you play it, whereas if I play constructed I open a pack every day fast. I found it was slower with arenas.

wild growth is bad imo, I wonder about nourish, I usually use the card draw when i run one but the 2 crystals dont seem so bad when you have big minions and you also get to use the two crystals on that turn for something else.

wild growth is bad imo, I wonder about nourish, I usually use the card draw when i run one but the 2 crystals dont seem so bad when you have big minions and you also get to use the two crystals on that turn for something else.

5 mana is a lot and you don't have a lot of space for 5 mana cards in a druid deck due to you normally running a lot of late game cards. Nourish vs Druid of the Claw/Faceless/Azure Drake? Starfall isn't great for the same reason.

nesf wrote: »
    5 mana is a lot and you don't have a lot of space for 5 mana cards in a druid deck due to you normally running a lot of late game cards. Nourish vs Druid of the Claw/Faceless/Azure Drake? Starfall isn't great for the same reason.

I dont have most of those cards so have to use starfall and nourish (just as these are suggested replacements for 5 mana cards) :p
    Those will no doubt replace them!

I dont have most of those cards so have to use starfall and nourish (just as these are suggested replacements for 5 mana cards) :p
    Those will no doubt replace them!

Druid is a hard class to play without certain epics and rares (and legendaries, not having Tink in a Druid deck is very annoying!), similar to Paladin. Nourish is sub-optimal, starfall is also. Personally I'd grind out the cards using a class that's not as picky, e.g. Priest, Warrior, Warlock or Hunter.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've kinda left druid alone now as you need a lot of cards, trying warrior tonight but I'm still working on it! I notice the games are a lto faster any way. Messing about with adding and removing chargers

k3Jh0qn.png

Advertisement