Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not really. You can make enough gold through quests and general play to unlock a pack or more through arena every two or three days. You can speed things up by buying cards but it feels like they've got the balance right so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ah good. I'm not adverse to putting money into a F2P game I like but I was wondering if this was going to be a simple case of here is the basic game but you now need to pay a tonne to get any decent cards in order to be competitive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anyone wrote: »
    Arena will give you at least 1 pack, so I would suggest doing that, its a different style of game from constructed. If its your first Arena you get it free also.

By the way, there a lot of hidden quests/achievements to earn gold starting off, they are listed here:

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest
    Cool will read through those, you also get a daily quest and can earn 100 gold through normal play mode. You can get over 1 deck easily doing that. I suppose if I play a few games per day then play mode is better, if you play a lot more ranked is better. Must give it a whirl.

You don't have to pay if you don't want to and tbh the thing I like about games is grinding out new things like cards in this game. More accomplishment and fun that paying hundreds like a lot of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

You don't need cards for Arena, as you have access to every card available there. As for constructed, you will have to get better cards than the starter decks if you want to progress.

My tips on how to get free cards is do all the quests you can(linked them earlier), and the dailies, and when you have 150g do an Arena. You are guaranteed at least 1 pack of cards(5 with at least 1 rare). This will take some time however, so if you want to rush the process you can buy packs(40 packs for €45) which is 200 cards.

Disenchant any card you have more than 2 of, and gold cards disenchant for more. Craft the cards you need.

I would recommend you get the following cards as they fit into nearly every type of deck:
    Argent Commanderx2
    Defender of Argusx2
    Azure Drakex2

Those 6 cards can really boost a starter deck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I got 2 packs free from somewhere after hitting lvl 10. Got me a legendary Onyxia which seems a nice card :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I played Hunter for a few days and while I won some games and had fun with my traps and stealth style deck, I can see why everyone considers it the weakest class.

That longbow that does 5 damage is excellent, but their beasts are simply terrible. When you compare the synergy in a hunter beast deck to a warlock's imp deck or Shaman Murloc deck........its like night and day. Nerfing "Unleash the Hounds" may have been necessary, but it kind of killed the class. Statistically, it's the least played class and it's win percentage is down at like 36% which is truly awful when you compare it to the mage and rogue win percentage which is 55%.

I went back to paladin and I feel more comfortable again. It's the class I started with so that stands to reason. Getting Ragnaros in a pack helps too. He is quite overpowered. :D I wish I had tirion fordring though. Apparently, he's one of the better class legendaries. It's going to take a long while to save enough dust to craft him though.

If you are going to craft legendaries, they ones I would go for are Sylvanas, Ragnaros and Ysera. Reason being, they are neutral and can work in any deck. Sylvanas is probably the best legendary in game right now(just not as flashy or gimicky as some of the others) as its mid range(5 mana cost) and will generally 2 or 3 for 1.

As for Hunter, its still a very playable class, I'd be careful reading too much into stats, especially unofficial, not saying they are untrue, but they are player submitted stats, so they can be skewed.

Currently I am mixing 3-4 decks, Rogue, Warrior, Druid and Shaman. The Warrior deck is pretty fun, Warsong Commander+Giants+Panda's can be amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you are going to craft legendaries, they ones I would go for are Sylvanas, Ragnaros and Ysera. Reason being, they are neutral and can work in any deck. Sylvanas is probably the best legendary in game right now(just not as flashy or gimicky as some of the others) as its mid range(5 mana cost) and will generally 2 or 3 for 1.
    I'd add Leroy; he's a great as a fireballesque type of finisher in a rush deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

After opening well over 20 packs from arena runs I was getting pissed that I hadn't seen a single legendary then my second last run I got The Black Knight. My last run I got a golden Nat Pagle which I dusted straight away to craft Slyvanas Windrunner.

As mentioned above she is very versatile and slots very well into the rogue board control deck I'm climbing the ladder with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seifer wrote: »
    After opening well over 20 packs from arena runs I was getting pissed that I hadn't seen a single legendary
    My ratio is about 1/30 packs on legendaries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have no legendaries yet, got my first golden card, look at that bling

EX1_095_premium.gif?4244

The pack I opened after Nat Pagle had Gruul in it. Then after that I got some of the most common muck I've ever seen. But three legendaries in a row so I can't complain :D

3 in a row, lucky man. Come on one! :(

In arena I got the guy that summons a 2/2 with taunt at the end of every go, and the other guy had no way to remove him, that was hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kirby wrote: »
    I played Hunter for a few days and while I won some games and had fun with my traps and stealth style deck, I can see why everyone considers it the weakest class.

That longbow that does 5 damage is excellent, but their beasts are simply terrible. When you compare the synergy in a hunter beast deck to a warlock's imp deck or Shaman Murloc deck........its like night and day. Nerfing "Unleash the Hounds" may have been necessary, but it kind of killed the class. Statistically, it's the least played class and it's win percentage is down at like 36% which is truly awful when you compare it to the mage and rogue win percentage which is 55%.

Hunter is crap because its hero ability is the worst in the game. It has zero synergy with any of the hunter cards, in comparison to other classes.

Hunter is crap because its hero ability is the worst in the game. It has zero synergy with any of the hunter cards, in comparison to other classes.

It's not about synergy with the cards it's just that it doesn't in anyway affect the board and winning in Hearthstone relies heavily on board control.

It's not about synergy with the cards it's just that it doesn't in anyway affect the board and winning in Hearthstone relies heavily on board control.

Well that too.

But think about it.

Warlock has card draw, its cards are low cost or remove cards.

Priest, healing and health buffs, card draw etc.

Paladin, extra troops with powerful buffs(wisdom, kings).

Warrior, mage, rouge, druid and Shaman are all the same.

Their ability's work well with their own cards and neutral cards. They combo well with each other.

And then you have the derp hunter. Who hit for two damage to the hero. All the time. Even if it picked a random enemy it would be better.

To some extent I agree but in others not so much.

The mage's hero power is very good because it can affect the board (or the enemy hero) but no cards directly synergise with it.
    Shaman is similar but can be infuriatingly random.
    The warrior is an example where the class does have cards that take advantage of armour but the power is still next to useless. It rarely helps you kill anything; just prevents damage to yourself.
    Rogue, druid and paladin do all have good synergy with their powers but even if you didn't use any of the class cards that work will with the power it would still be very useful.
    The priest I think is the class that relies most on how well the power synergises with the class cards; as a power on its own it wouldn't be great.

To some extent I agree but in others not so much.

The mage's hero power is very good because it can affect the board (or the enemy hero) but no cards directly synergise with it.

Any enrage card or on hit card synergises quite well with it, including the early game. If you think about it, the mana cost of the AOE spells combined with the ping is very powerfull on most occasions.
    Shaman is similar but can be infuriatingly random.

Bloodlust and other totem buffs make it quite powerful. Although I will admit, to me its the second weakest due to the random nature of it.
    The warrior is an example where the class does have cards that take advantage of armour but the power is still next to useless. It rarely helps you kill anything; just prevents damage to yourself.

In a class that involves hitting things with your face at all stages of the game, gaining health/Armour is quite important.
    Rogue, druid and paladin do all have good synergy with their powers but even if you didn't use any of the class cards that work will with the power it would still be very useful.
    The priest I think is the class that relies most on how well the power synergises with the class cards; as a power on its own it wouldn't be great.

Agreed, I just think that if you look at the way the hero powers work both with other cards and by itself, the hunter is weak in all regards. The class cards themselves are not that bad, its just that the ability works in no way with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I presume this isn't going to cost full price, is it? (like 60 quid)

Gbear wrote: »
    I presume this isn't going to cost full price, is it? (like 60 quid)

It will be free. You can use money to buy card packs or pay for arena runs currently but you can also do both of those things using in-game currency; it just takes longer.

• Advertisement

It will be free. You can use money to buy card packs or pay for arena runs currently but you can also do both of those things using in-game currency; it just takes longer.

Coool.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the beta opt ins on my Blizzard account but never got a Hearthstone invite. I can't imagine the full release is that far away is it?

Been in beta for months now.

Coool.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the beta opt ins on my Blizzard account but never got a Hearthstone invite. I can't imagine the full release is that far away is it?

Still has to go through open beta so it could be a couple of months yet.

Still has to go through open beta so it could be a couple of months yet.

Well I can still get in on that so not to worry.

I hadn't really given it a second thought.
    Didn't think card games would really interest me.
    But Day9 has been doing dailies for a while on them and it piqued my interest.

Coool.

If you signed up, a key is in your mail, as they sent out invites to everyone who opted in prior to Jan the 7th. Check your email's spam folder, I know gmail sent them to peoples spam folders.

If you signed up, a key is in your mail, as they sent out invites to everyone who opted in prior to Jan the 7th. Check your email's spam folder, I know gmail sent them to peoples spam folders.

I just double checked there and I had them all ticked except for "Warcraft", which I presume Hearthstone falls under.

Not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I just double checked there and I had them all ticked except for "Warcraft", which I presume Hearthstone falls under.

Not to worry.
    Hearthstone falls under Hearthstone.

I'm pretty sure the opt in is gone now until release. They have more then enough active players to tweak and fine tune it.

can probably buy a key for like 2 euro

I'm pretty sure the opt in is gone now until release. They have more then enough active players to tweak and fine tune it.
    The things to fix now is really graphical related (cards left floating in the air, double stacked cards) and then make sure that people know what's coming (esp. replay/commentator mode is asked for from what I've seen). Considering the game was developed by only 15 people I'm very impressed; I think a lot of the longivity of the game will depend on the developments to come after release (i.e. supporting tournaments, raids, casting aids etc.).

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hearthstone falls under Hearthstone.

I only have 4 options - Heroes of the Storm, Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

Advertisement