Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male TD pulls female colleague into his lap – in the Dáil chamber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Yeah the debate would have went a whole different direction if this hadnt happened.

Nice try putting a wholly irrelevant spin on my words :) Your point is void, I never said anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thoie wrote: »
    Some people like being spanked, but we still don't do it at work. I don't think anyone's deciding what is wrong or inappropriate for someone else on their own time, most people seem to be saying it's wrong and inappropriate in the workplace, which it is.

There's all sorts of things I'd actively enjoy, but it would be wrong/inappropriate for someone to do them to me in the office.

I agree it's inappropriate behaviour in the workplace, I somehow missed the workplace part in Jerrica's post even though it was in capital letters :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Would it be as bad if she had pulled him? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hitchens wrote: »
    Would it be as bad if she had pulled him? :)

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Jerrica wrote: »
    Nice try putting a wholly irrelevant spin on my words :) Your point is void, I never said anything of the sort.

You needlessly brought up the issue of the topic of the debate. so either you were implying it would have some effect on the debate or, more likely, you were just using an emotive subject to give more weight to your ridiculous outrage. Why else would you bring up the topic of the debate

• Advertisement

Im not singling anyone out and im not referring to this situation in particular because all the details arent available, but it would be a cold joyless world we lived in if some of the people here were in charge

Im not singling anyone out and im not referring to this situation in particular because all the details arent available, but it would be a cold joyless world we lived in if some of the people here were in charge

she didn't exactly jump up immediately and slap his mush ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Is it just me or did anyone else giggle at all? Like it was so inappropriate that it was just a teeny bit funny? ........ No I guess its just me then......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Mariasofia wrote: »
    Is it just me or did anyone else giggle at all? Like it was so inappropriate that it was just a teeny bit funny? ........ No I guess its just me then......

It's like the drunk uncle at a wedding making a young niece sit down on his lap saying "Who's my favourite girleen?!"

Mariasofia wrote: »

no, not giggled.............maybe sniggered :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's a joke. They were even moaning on joe Duffy about it. You just knew the goody two shoe type meant women would be on raving about equality.

Jaysus. I suppose it was an appropriate setting for that sort of carry on especially when the whole country can see you.

However it was during a break and both seem to be fine and the woman herself didn't take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Imagine if she got pregers over this !

It's in the Lap of the gods now

worded wrote: »

Radioactive sperm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Bet if he had done something similarly oafish that didn't involve a woman there'd be hardly anyone defending him, and people would be expressing their embarrassment at the lack of dignity, especially for a public representative in a historic Dáil debate with massive implications.

But because his oafishness involved slapping a woman on the arse and sitting her on his lap, "Ah shur he was only having a laugh" gets trotted out in order to take a swipe at teh feministz, even though lots of women who object to the incident aren't even looking at it from the sexual harassment angle (including myself).

Sad really...

worded wrote: »

It can happen :D

article-2360274-1AC39425000005DC-629_640x770.jpg

Bet if he had done something similarly oafish that didn't involve a woman there'd be hardly anyone defending him, and people would be expressing their embarrassment at the lack of dignity, especially for a public representative in a historic Dáil debate with massive implications.

But because his oafishness involved slapping a woman on the arse and sitting her on his lap, "Ah shur he was only having a laugh" gets trotted out in order to take a swipe at teh feministz, even though lots of women who object to the incident aren't even looking at it from the sexual harassment angle (including myself).

Sad really...

The feminists would love this though.

Did I hear the national womens council made a comment on this? It's a nothing incident. Shouldn't have happened but it did, politicians are people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CaraMay wrote: »
    Ah that's the Aine collins who said she could not live on less than 100k per annum. I'm sure she is well able to look after herself

If not I'm sure a whip and chains around will be arranged for the lady in question;)

So what if "the feminists" would love it? That doesn't justify brushing off unprofessional behaviour that would piss people off if it didn't have an angle for feminists to get annoyed about.

So what if "the feminists" would love it? That doesn't justify brushing off unprofessional behaviour that would piss people off if it didn't have an angle for feminists to get annoyed about.

There's a difference to getting pissed off about something, and getting pissed off about something because it's happened to a woman.

123 LC wrote: »
    "Ms Collins apparently said she was ‘freezing’ and Mr Barry joked that he would warm her up, before pulling her on to his lap"
    (http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/11/irish-politician-apologises-for-pulling-female-deputy-on-to-lap-during-abortion-debate-3879527/)

Stay classy Dáil.

'freezing......................in a heatwave? :confused:

• Advertisement

There's a difference to getting pissed off about something, and getting pissed off about something because it's happened to a woman.
    There is. And there's a difference between dismissing something as no big deal when it involves a woman, in order to sock it to feminists, and getting pissed off about the same level of unprofessional behaviour if it didn't involve a woman.

There is. And there's a difference between dismissing something as no big deal when it involves a woman, in order to sock it to feminists, and getting pissed off about the same level of unprofessional behaviour if it didn't involve a woman.

Why did the national womens council make a comment on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I like how everyone was annoyed at one thing. Then someone pointed out they might be mates and they were on a break so now everyone is finding something else to be annoyed at.

Why did the national womens council make a comment on it?
    My point is, the fact that feminists are outraged about this and coming at it from a sexism perspective doesn't warrant dismissal of it as no big deal. I've explained more than adequately how gombeen behaviour, involving a woman or not, shouldn't be carrying on by highly paid public officials in the Dáil chamber during the abortion debate.

gombeen behaviour, involving a woman or not, shouldn't be carrying on by highly paid public officials in the Dáil chamber during the abortion debate.

but it wasn't during the debate, those crazy kids were on their break :)

My point is, the fact that feminists are outraged about this and coming at it from a sexism perspective doesn't warrant dismissal of it as no big deal. I've explained more than adequately how gombeen behaviour, involving a woman or not, shouldn't be carrying on by highly paid public officials in the Dáil chamber during the abortion debate.

And I said feminists would love this.

I don't see it as a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

I heard it from someone in the pub that they are both cossack dancers so this carry on is to be expected.

It was merely a dance move. As they say in Russia ....
    He was "giving her cossacks"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She's looks very uncomfortable in the clip, not the carry on you'd expect in a work place, why is there a bar in their work place?

I think it was bang out of order

ted1 wrote: »
    She's looks very uncomfortable in the clip, not the carry on you'd expect in a work place, why is there a bar in their work place?

I think it was bang out of order

There was a bar in my old work place. although it was a bar.

• Advertisement

Im not going to get into the hypothetical situations of whether she's ok with him grabbing her arse etc or he's ok about it if she was grabbing him by the ball sack....its wrong on all levels in all incidents....but thats not the most annoying thing tbh.

The most annoying thing about this sorry mess is that idiots who are given a mandate to represent the people are so oblivious to the outside world, that in the Dail Chamber, with TV cameras in the vicinity, that this complete CLOWN, hadnt the cop on that it was totally the wrong time and place to do such a thing.

Advertisement