Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male TD pulls female colleague into his lap – in the Dáil chamber

Options
  • 11-07-2013 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Im sure we have all heard the story - its international news at this stage.
    For anyone who hasnt - here is a link.

Seriously? This is appalling. If this happened me in work I would be suing for sexual harassment. Its not funny. Its not a game. It is inappropriate behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Seriously? This is appalling. If this happened me in work I would be suing for sexual harassment. Its not funny. Its not a game. It is inappropriate behaviour.

It certainly is. Why is this muppet funded by the taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

she actually got her ass patted too.

....great having women in the dail. oh the equality.

Has she commented on it herself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Edit : Afaik she hasn't commented on it Whoops. Very strange to see the reaction. While it's inappropriate it seems that no one cares about what Aine herself thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Probably best to wait for the full story before you go gettin all outraged

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Edit : Afaik she hasn't commented on it Whoops. Very strange to see the reaction. While it's inappropriate it seems that no one cares about what Aine herself thinks.

All I heard on some discussion show at lunchtime was about how she'd react

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

Couldnt care less myself

That's the thing, if she's ok with it then there is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bluewolf wrote: »
    All I heard on some discussion show at lunchtime was about how she'd react

What did they saw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

That's the thing, if she's ok with it then there is no issue.

:confused:

If she has no issue with it then they're BOTH wrong. Accosting a colleague in the middle of a very very serious debate on an issue that directly affects women across the nation is in no way shape or form appropriate behaviour. This is mad-men-esque and was last seen around the time that women were seen as pretty little things to make the office look good and serve the coffee.

if this behaviour is accepted in a political environment how is it possible to expect that women will be seen as equals when that type of chauvanistic bolloxology is taken as the norm?

It's wrong on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Ah that's the Aine collins who said she could not live on less than 100k per annum. I'm sure she is well able to look after herself

Jerrica wrote: »
    :confused:

If she has no issue with it then they're BOTH wrong. Accosting a colleague in the middle of a very very serious debate on an issue that directly affects women across the nation is in no way shape or form appropriate behaviour. This is mad-men-esque and was last seen around the time that women were sen as pretty little things to make the office look good and make the coffee.

if this behavioural is accepted in a political environment how is it possible to expect that women will be seen as equals when that type of chauvanistic bolloxology is taken as the norm?

It's wrong on so many levels.

They're on a break from the debate. If they are good mates and it's the kind of relationship they have then I don't see a problem.

If not, then that is a different issue.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Ah that's the Aine collins who said she could not live on less than 100k per annum. I'm sure she is well able to look after herself

"Ah, sure she's a right aul sour cow, she deserved it..." Nah, let's not do that.

It doesn't matter what she has ever said or done. No woman or man should have their private space invaded in such a way in the work place, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The world has got so serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Tom Barry is still the man for the ambush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

"Ah, sure she's a right aul sour cow, she deserved it..." Nah, let's not do that.

It doesn't matter what she has ever said or done. No woman or man should have their private space invaded in such a way in the work place, simple as.

We don't know if she has a problem with it. Maybe they do this all the time. No point being outraged unless she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

fair play to him!

CaraMay wrote: »
    We don't know if she has a problem with it. Maybe they do this all the time. No point being outraged unless she is.

That's not how it works. If it happens all the time then its wrong. If it happens once, its wrong. If she didn't find it a big deal, its still wrong. It's in the WORKPLACE, a place where every individual deserves the right not to feel under threat of harassment from a colleague. By turning blind eyes to this its sending a (disgustingly backwards) message that its ok to pull a female colleague onto your lap and pat her ass for giving you the pleasure.

It. Is. Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That's not how it works. If it happens all the time then its wrong. If it happens once, its wrong. If she didn't find it a big deal, its still wrong. It's in the WORKPLACE, a place where every individual deserves the right not to feel under threat of harassment from a colleague. By turning blind eyes to this its sending a (disgustingly backwards) message that its ok to pull a female colleague onto your lap and pat her ass for giving you the pleasure.

It. Is. Wrong.

Maybe she liked or didn't mind the attention and being "accosted".

It's not up to you to decide what is wrong or inappropriate for someone.

As Cara has said, if she objects to this behaviour then it is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

She extracts herself from his lab with some velocity and nearly falls over
    She was clearly pissed off.
    Being very tired can have sames effects as drunkenness maybe a lapses of judgement on his part being tired
    This was 02:00am why they cannot work normal hours is beyond me.

• Advertisement

It. Is. Wrong.

Seriously, who are you to tell a pair of friends what sort of relationship they should have?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Ah sure it's all fun and games, not like there was anything important going on at the time, just a normal day in the Dail.... Oh wait.

She seems completely embarrassed by it when she gets up and walks away. They might be friends but there's a time and a place for that type of behaviour. Even if they normally mess around like that, it's completely inappropriate to do it in a workplace setting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I actually completely disagreed with Woopsydaisles first comment, but I kind of did agree with her second comment.

It's kind of akin to it happening during a lunch break and, while grossly inappropriate in a dail, might just be the relationship they have.

And, what does it being in an abortion debate have to do with it?:confused: It's inappropriate to begin with and it doesn't really matter what debate is happening.

Edit: Tbh, it does look pretty awful in the video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Seems like they're carrying on. I don't think a man in public eye would do that to someone otherwise.

I'd like to hear her comments on it before condemning the man for sexual harassment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

So it 's ok because it was 2 am?? Tell that to every shift worker so. And the reason this went so late is due to the short terms of sitting in the dail, if they worked like everyone else this bill would have been sorted ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Maybe she liked or didn't mind the attention and being "accosted".

It's not up to you to decide what is wrong or inappropriate for someone.

As Cara has said, if she objects to this behaviour then it is wrong.

Some people like being spanked, but we still don't do it at work. I don't think anyone's deciding what is wrong or inappropriate for someone else on their own time, most people seem to be saying it's wrong and inappropriate in the workplace, which it is.

There's all sorts of things I'd actively enjoy, but it would be wrong/inappropriate for someone to do them to me in the office.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If it happened in my workplace between two colleagues there'd be written warnings. There are a lot of married couples in my place and even between them it's not acceptable. Even during lunchbreak.

And that's a private company, not a national parliament with the eyes of the world focused on it.

Grand if it happened elsewhere, socially. It's between the pair of them. But they're at work.

Seriously, who are you to tell a pair of friends what sort of relationship they should have?

When they are representatives of my government and it happens in a public forum during one of the moat polarised debates that the nation has seen in recent years and being televised then I have every right to voice my opinion. If they did this in the pub on their own time then you might have a point, but when its during the working hours that I help pay for then their behaviour is entirely open to public scrutiny.

When they are representatives of my government and it happens in a public forum during one of the moat polarised debates that the nation has seen in recent years and being televised then I have every right to voice my opinion. If they did this in the pub on their own time then you might have a point, but when its during the working hours that I help pay for then their behaviour is entirely open to public scrutiny.

Yeah the debate would have went a whole different direction if this hadnt happened.

• Advertisement

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

And, what does it being in an abortion debate have to do with it?:confused: It's inappropriate to begin with and it doesn't really matter what debate is happening.

The attitude of many in government in the debate thus far has been at times extremely dismissive of women. This incident encapsulates that attitude.

Advertisement