Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options
  • 18-08-2012 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Confirmed today that Ireland, as has been speculated for some time, will be looking to make a sole world cup bid and also, the GAA will be going to congress with the view to allowing SIX stadiums to be used in the bid...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0818/334098-central-council-keen-on-rwc-bid/

According to the article, 12 stadiums were used in New Zealand and 11 will be used in 2019...

Presumably, the GAA will look to use the opportunity to get some outside funding into developing the stadiums and a big cut from rent and ticket sales...

So, what stadiums may be used?

Croke Park

Croke%20Park.jpg

Capacity: 82,500

Aviva Stadium

Aviva_Stadium_from_North_Stand.jpg

Capacity: 51,700

Thomond Park

tickets_page.jpg&h=326&w=786&zc=1&q=100

Capacity: 26,500

RDS Arena

RDS_Arena_Portrait.jpg

Capacity: 18,500
    Status: Plans to extend to 23,000 - will be bosted by this bid prospect

Ravenhill

Ravenhill_Plans.JPG

Capacity: 12,300
    Status: Plans confirmed and funding secured for 18,000 stadium

Possible Other Stadiums

Semple Stadium, Tipperary

semplestadium.jpg

Capacity: 55,000

Gaelic Grounds, Limerick

GaelicGrounds480.jpg

Capacity: 49,500

Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork

000365c2-642.jpg

Capacity: 43,500

Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, Co. Kerry

908564089_8de98a8108.jpg

Capacity: 43,000

Pearse Stadium, Galway

7012296139_722af83450_z.jpg

Capacity: 36,000

kilkenny_nowlan.jpg

Nowlan Park, Kilkenny

Capacity: 30,000

This bid, if passed by GAA congress, could also open the permanent opportunity for the likes of perhaps Munster being allowed host major games in Gaelic grounds in Limerick, similar to how Leinster use the Aviva.

I think this would be a fantastic development for the country and I think we would have a very strong chance.

In all honesty, I think we all knew a bid was coming, but I thought it would be a joint bid with Wales, but surprised and delighted at the GAA's progressive attitude and hopefully if they agree to share the stadia, it could be a massive leap forward in sporting infrastructure in this country for all sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The GAA got some serious cash for the use of Croke Park in 2007-2010, from a financial POV it makes sense. For an RWC, Croke Park's availability might be limited given the RWC would clash with the All Ireland semis and finals.

Pearse Stadium in particular is important, so that the games can be hosted in Connacht.

You just hope the GAA traditionalists that were against Croke Park opening it doors before won't derail this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

True, but for the payday that could be in it, they make make arrangements to ensure that timing could be switched around on a once off basis to allow all the stadia to be used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

GAA pitches are very big, too big really for a rugby game. I was never a fan of going to Croker to watch a game as I couldn't see an awful lot of it.

So while it would be great to get the RWC here the actual match day experience in the GAA stadiums could be lacking for the match goer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

The GAA got some serious cash for the use of Croke Park in 2007-2010, from a financial POV it makes sense. For an RWC, Croke Park's availability might be limited given the RWC would clash with the All Ireland semis and finals.

Pearse Stadium in particular is important, so that the games can be hosted in Connacht.

You just hope the GAA traditionalists that were against Croke Park opening it doors before won't derail this.

Are they(the finals) not held on the 1st & 3rd WE of September? Surely things could be arranged to avoid any clash??

CatFromHue wrote: »
    GAA pitches are very big, too big really for a rugby game. I was never a fan of going to Croker to watch a game as I couldn't see an awful lot of it.

So while it would be great to get the RWC here the actual match day experience in the GAA stadiums could be lacking for the match goer.

True but nothing stops them putting in extra seats...................or advertising hoardings!!!...........Wonder which it'll be :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

4PP wrote: »
    Are they(the finals) not held on the 1st & 3rd WE of September? Surely things could be arranged to avoid any clash??

I can see some traditionalists not wanting to change for that. All sorts of bull**** was brought up when the decision to open Croke Park was debated.

I can see some traditionalists not wanting to change for that. All sorts of bull**** was brought up when the decision to open Croke Park was debated.

No reason to change it, CP wouldn't be the venue for the opening or closing match. Lansdowne would be the obvious choice. I wouldn't refer to their arguments as bull**** either. Its their code/sport/stadia & they are entiltled to their opinion, even if it may irritate you.
    The World is round, not Oval.

No reason to change it, CP wouldn't be the venue for the opening or closing match. Lansdowne would be the obvious choice. I wouldn't refer to their arguments as bull**** either. Its their code/sport/stadia & they are entiltled to their opinion, even if it may irritate you.

true enough, bs was too strong a word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

True but nothing stops them putting in extra seats...................or advertising hoardings!!!...........Wonder which it'll be :rolleyes:

No the rugby pitch is too small for the grass area available. It just makes it tough to watch the game I found.

800px-Croke_park_2.jpg

704827_5b549dbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'd actually prefer to see the final in Croke Park. Its the biggest stadium we have and it would be a great way to advertise our sporting culture and history to the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

the camogie and ladies football are on the other weekends i think though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I presume Wales and Scotland are in on it too? That would have us at 7 already.

One caveat about the non-Croker GAA grounds is that those capacity figures are at least twice would be allowed at a RWC match when seats are put in.

Croke Park was overwhelming funded by the taxpayer. Whatever about other stadia in GAA hands, it's a disgrace that fundamentally racist policies like Rule 42 are allowed to be applied to what should be a public ammenity.

As I've said in previous threads,our biggest problem will be ensuring quality training facilities for the 20 teams involved. IF that can be sorted, we should be in a great place to launch a bid. The RWC, Euros, and boxing in the Olympics, has allowed us to earn a reputation as "the best fans in the world". We have been the force in european club rugby since the advent of the professional game, and our hold on the HEC doesn't look like slipping any time soon.

If the GAA can recognise how hosting the RWC would benefit all parties involved, we should be able to win the bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It was unanimously agreed to put it to Congress and I heard the GAA president speaking very positively about it so lets not go down the usual route of slagging off the gaa, considering it would mean about 2 games per stadium for the GAA, so they are not going to make a huge amount of money from it but their members (country) would gain significant benefits from rugby tourism.

wprathead wrote: »
    the camogie and ladies football are on the other weekends i think though
    No disrespect to either codes but I'm fairly sure that the games could be played "in the middle" of the WC , on the Sundays, without anyone taking undue offense. It may even attract extra media attention as suggested by Capt B above.

Whatever happens I'm certain Neil Diamonds Golden Rule will apply......"Money Talks";)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Actually it would, Landsdowne isn't big enough for the final, which must be in a 60,000+ capacity stadium.

I'd actually prefer to see the final in Croke Park. Its the biggest stadium we have and it would be a great way to advertise our sporting culture and history to the rest of the world.

Lansdowne isn't big enough to host the final. It will have to be in Croke Park.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Actually it would, Landsdowne isn't big enough for the final, which must be in a 60,000+ capacity stadium.

In October? problem solved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

[Jackass] wrote: »
    This bid, if passed by GAA congress, could also open the permanent opportunity for the likes of perhaps Munster being allowed host major games in Gaelic grounds in Limerick, similar to how Leinster use the Aviva.

Why would Munster want to host games in the Gaelic Grounds over Thomond Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No reason to change it, CP wouldn't be the venue for the opening or closing match. Lansdowne would be the obvious choice
    Wouldn't work. A minimum capacity of 60,000 is required for the final

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »

50K capacity.

Hazys wrote: »

I could see a benefit of HEC semi-finals being hosted there, as they cannot be in your home stadium and Thomond is too small. Besides that, all games should take place in Thomond Park. It's the home of Munster rugby, has a huge history surrounding it, and should not be abandoned for a few cheap bucks.

Reekwind wrote: »
    Wouldn't work. A minimum capacity of 60,000 is required for the final
    see post #19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Good news, I agree that training facilities could be the main 'sticky wicket'. Hotels etc in the host towns/cities may well be another problem. For example, Semple in Thurles holds 50k but I think Hayes Hotel is the only hotel in the town.

In October? problem solved :D

I heard a bit of a discussion on radio this afternoon about it - they were talking about how the timing suited the GAA really well.

And when you think about it - group games being played in Aviva and All Ireland's going on in Croke Park in early Sept - everyone would be a winner! Brilliant opportunity for GAA to get worldwide exposure.

Big Ears wrote: »

Possibly an excuse to knock Havelock Square so ;)

pithater1 wrote: »
    Good news, I agree that training facilities could be the main 'sticky wicket'. Hotels etc in the host towns/cities may well be another problem. For example, Semple in Thurles holds 50k but I think Hayes Hotel is the only hotel in the town.

From what I heard today on radio, I don't think Semple is included.

All other stadia are well located with regard to access from airports and hotel accommodation.

jm08 wrote: »
    From what I heard today on radio, I don't think Semple is included.

All other stadia are well located with regard to access from airports and hotel accommodation.

Well that would cover the Camogie finals so.
    What stadiums were mentioned?
    I presume the 3 in Dublin, 2 in Limeirck, 1 each for Cork, Belfast and Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Presumably, the GAA will look to use the opportunity to get some outside funding into developing the stadiums and a big cut from rent and ticket sales...

Going on the presumably safe assumption that the IRB have enough countries lining up to host this competition that they won't actually feel the need to pay a cent of ticket sales or rent to the GAA, how does the financing of this work?

I assume that the government would be expected to give money directly to the GAA as compensation for the use of their grounds?

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »

Teams could base themselves in the UK (much in the same way as some Olympic teams based themselves in Ireland). Its less than an hour on a plane.

I don't think the GAA will let foreign sports into the spiritual home of the GAA ;)

Advertisement