Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

pithater1 wrote: »
    Good news, I agree that training facilities could be the main 'sticky wicket'. Hotels etc in the host towns/cities may well be another problem. For example, Semple in Thurles holds 50k but I think Hayes Hotel is the only hotel in the town.

I think you're forgetting how big the country is? as in tiny!!!
    You can get to Galway Belfast Limerick or Cork in less than 3 hours from Dublin.
    France 2007 had teams travelling further than the length of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

4PP wrote: »
    I think you're forgetting how big the country is? as in tiny!!!
    You can get to Galway Belfast Limerick or Cork in less than 3 hours from Dublin.
    France 2007 had teams travelling further than the length of Ireland!

True but you would want the fans to be able to stay in the same town after the match though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well that would cover the Camogie finals so.
    What stadiums were mentioned?
    I presume the 3 in Dublin, 2 in Limeirck, 1 each for Cork, Belfast and Galway?

Those mentioned were Cork (being developed into 45k seater), Fitzgerald (Killarney - lots of tourist accommodation), Casement, Belfast - being redeveloped into 40K all-seater, Gaelic Grounds, Limerick plus Croke Park. All those mentioned are 40K+ seaters. Then there is Lansdowne, RDS, Thomond & Ravenhill for smaller games.

Thats 9 stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I imagine they'd want somewhere in the north west (Derry or Ballybofey), south east, and midlands (Athlone) maybe.

I doubt they'd use two stadiums in Limerick (Thomond & Gaelic Grounds) and two in the south west (Cork & Killarney) as they'll probably want to spread it around more.

What a fantastic opportunity for the GAA to upgrade their stadiums though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

wprathead wrote: »
    the camogie and ladies football are on the other weekends i think though

Move them to the Aviva:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I suppose if you wanted a true geographical spread you might go for:

Dublin: Croker, Lansdowne, RDS
    South: Thomand, Cork, Killarney
    West: Pearse, McHale
    North: Ravenhill, New Belfast Stadium.
    Midlands: Nowlan, Portlaois.

Giving 13 stadia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

ambid wrote: »
    I imagine they'd want somewhere in the north west (Derry or Ballybofey), south east, and midlands (Athlone) maybe.

I doubt they'd use two stadiums in Limerick (Thomond & Gaelic Grounds) and two in the south west (Cork & Killarney) as they'll probably want to spread it around more.

What a fantastic opportunity for the GAA to upgrade their stadiums though.

I think they might - from an accommodation point of view Cork/access to airports.

I can see some of the big teams wanting to base themselves in Limerick (like ABs/SA) who would need a 40K stadium. Ireland would want Dublin. The 6Ns teams would probably just fly in for their games (which is why they might be very supportive of an Ireland bid).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hazys wrote: »
    Why would Munster want to host games in the Gaelic Grounds over Thomond Park?

The same reason Leinster would want to hold games in the Aviva.

If you can sell 45,000 tickets for a match up to 5 times a season, compared to say 26,000 in Thomond, and the stadium is in the same city, why wouldn't you want to move games away from Thomond park when the capacity isn't sufficient?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

By then Connacht will be the super power in Irish rugby with a 30,000 seater stadium.
    I called it here first ;-)
    Hopefully anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I suppose if you wanted a true geographical spread you might go for:

Dublin: Croker, Lansdowne, RDS
    South: Thomand, Cork, Killarney
    West: Pearse, McHale
    North: Ravenhill, New Belfast Stadium.
    Midlands: Nowlan, Portlaois.

Giving 13 stadia

I don't think there is going to be a new Belfast stadium. The last I heard they couldn't agree a location so are going to upgrade Ravenhill, Casement & Windsor Park instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,790 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's certainly doable and should be a runner, I honestly don't think the GAA will rule it out, my own guess is that Ulster GAA may not allow rugby in their grounds.

I'd love to see McHale Park and Semple Stadium being used, it would bring rugby to the masses outside the cities.

While I'd love to see the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick getting games, I doubt the scheduling would allow for two grounds that are about a kilometer away from each other to be used. It would be fantastic for the city itself and for rugby there.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

You could definitely see a new 20,000 + stadium being built in Waterford aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

GAA already said they've been asked for use of 6 stadia. Listed them on main evening news as Croke, P Ui C, Fitzgerald, Gaelic Grounds and Pearse. He listed Gaelic Grounds twice but if I was to guess, I would say the other ground is Semple Stadium or Casement Park.

GerM wrote: »
    GAA already said they've been asked for use of 6 stadia. Listed them on main evening news as Croke, P Ui C, Fitzgerald, Gaelic Grounds and Pearse. He listed Gaelic Grounds twice but if I was to guess, I would say the other ground is Semple Stadium or Casement Park.

For capacity it should be Semple but perhaps im being biased :). I think this could be a hugely positive step for the GAA. I'm glad to see their attitudes are more open these times. Ive no doubt it will be a huge success if it comes to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Realistically, how many stadia would you need at a min?

Ireland needs a World Cup... it would be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, as mentioned in the article, the last world cup was 12 and the 2019 Japan world cup will use 11 (two of which will be outside of Japan).

In the opening post, I listed 11 stadia which would very similar in capacity terms to those of previous world cups, although some moderniseation and external facilities may be required, but nothing major.

There is also an option of using 9 to 10 domestic stadia and perhaps bringing in Wales and Scotland to have Millenium and Murrayfield also if that was feasable.

Ideally it would be great to host every single game on this island though.

There's also the option of Windsor Park which is being redeveloped and will have a 20,000 capacity, although we're fairly covered at the lower end of stadia capacity required.

I know the New Zealand world cup lost money (in tanagable terms), but I think there is a lot less work to do in Ireland than there was to do in New Zealand and I think geographically, we have a much stronger position to sell tickets (as some of the world cup in NZ was poorly attended, with the All Blacks not even managing to sell out all of their games...) and I think it would not only be a major Economic success, but it would be a marker in Irish history of being a major nation and capable of hosting such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

St.Tiernachs.Park.07.jpg

St Tiernachs Park Clones is a place where I would love to see RWC. 36000 capacity, and it brings money to a part of the country that could do with it :) It shows much about the history of GAA also; trips to small towns, atmosphere, history. It also straddles the border, so it is part of both sides of the border, and is under 90 mins from many big towns.

PS The stadium is built in a bowl and is a wonderful place to watch sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Stadia aside, just wondering whether people think we have the proper infrastructure, accommodation and facilities to host all on our own, a major international sporting tournament?

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Stadia aside, just wondering whether people think we have the proper infrastructure, accommodation and facilities to host all on our own, a major international sporting tournament?

I think we do. But consideration must be given to stadia in cities such as Waterford and Sligo also even though both cities would not be rugby strongholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

CoDy1 wrote: »

100% true, but an event like this can be used as a valid excuse to get those facilities and infrastructure organised.
    This only works as long as all parties accept that by the time you add up the money you've spent bidding (apparently NZ bid €100M) and building this infrastructure, then subtract your direct revenue streams, that you are going to be left with a loss. It falls apart if, for example, one particular party to the bid expects to make a direct profit from the use of their grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

stepbar wrote: »
    I think we do. But consideration must be given to stadia in cities such as Waterford and Sligo also even though both cities would not be rugby strongholds.
    Dont think anywhere in Waterford/Sligo is big enough or worthwhile in developing to be big enough to use. Using Nowlan Park in Kilkenny would be better for the southeast area of country than any stadium in Waterford.
    Waterford has a good rugby reputation and is a great place for rugby to develop for Munster esp with the monstrous numbers playing underage and the success of Waterpark the past few years esp at munster u/age level
    Ireland is small enough that we dont need stadiums all over the island

100% true, but an event like this can be used as a valid excuse to get those facilities and infrastructure organised.
    This only works as long as all parties accept that by the time you add up the money you've spent bidding (apparently NZ bid €100M) and building this infrastructure, then subtract your direct revenue streams, that you are going to be left with a loss. It falls apart if, for example, one particular party to the bid expects to make a direct profit from the use of their grounds.

100 mil is cheap enough vs what you could net from supporters. We have a lot of the infrastructure in place already e.g. motorways from Dublin to Cork / Galway / Belfast / Waterford; Provincial Stadia etc.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Dont think anywhere in Waterford/Sligo is big enough or worthwhile in developing to be big enough to use. Using Nowlan Park in Kilkenny would be better for the southeast area of country than any stadium in Waterford.
    Waterford has a good rugby reputation and is a great place for rugby to develop for Munster esp with the monstrous numbers playing underage and the success of Waterpark the past few years esp at munster u/age level
    Ireland is small enough that we dont need stadiums all over the island

Carrick on Shannon would be worth considering but I think Markievicz Park would be more apt as it can hold 20k. I agree with your comment on Waterford given that Kilkenny is reasonably close by but in fairness Waterford is not a rugby stronghold. I think the economic benefits should be spread around the country.

Carrick on Shannon would be worth considering but I think Markievicz Park would be more apt as it can hold 20k. I agree with your comment on Waterford given that Kilkenny is reasonably close by but in fairness Waterford is not a rugby stronghold. I think the economic benefits should be spread around the country.
    Ireland isnt huge and we dont need games all over. Everywhere is only a couple hours drive away
    Waterford is quite strong in rugby with a decent enough history and has great potential for growth rugbywise(6 underage munster titles in the past 5 years)
    The economic benefits will be spread throughout the country no matter what as teams can travel elsewhere for pre tournament training camps etc

Ireland isnt huge and we dont need games all over. Everywhere is only a couple hours drive away
    Waterford is quite strong in rugby with a decent enough history and has great potential for growth rugbywise(6 underage munster titles in the past 5 years)
    The economic benefits will be spread throughout the country no matter what as teams can travel elsewhere for pre tournament training camps etc

You cant really equate having pre tournament training vs having Pool Games in a particular area. The economic benefits are very different. Waterford maybe strong in underage rugby but as far as I would be concerned Hurling and Soccer would be 1 & 2 in the county.

You cant really equate having pre tournament training vs having Pool Games in a particular area. The economic benefits are very different. Waterford maybe strong in underage rugby but as far as I would be concerned Hurling and Soccer would be 1 & 2 in the county.
    It isnt the same but we dont need to have games in all the citys and why develop a stadium in say Waterford when it would basically be a white elephant after the last game to be played there in a world cup.
    Waterpark, Waterfords main club are very strong and interest in rugby is picking up in the city and county in a big way.
    The sport is now being played in more and more schools in the city and county including big hurling schools like De La Salle.

It isnt the same but we dont need to have games in all the citys and why develop a stadium in say Waterford when it would basically be a white elephant after the last game to be played there in a world cup.
    Waterpark, Waterfords main club are very strong and interest in rugby is picking up in the city and county in a big way.
    The sport is now being played in more and more schools in the city and county including big hurling schools like De La Salle.

In fairness, a stadium in Waterford would be used (a proper one with capacity for 25k +); I don't think it would be a white elephant. Walsh Park is quite a small stadium by county standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

CatFromHue wrote: »
    4PP wrote: »
    True but nothing stops them putting in extra seats...................or advertising hoardings!!!...........Wonder which it'll be :rolleyes:

No the rugby pitch is too small for the grass area available. It just makes it tough to watch the game I found.

800px-Croke_park_2.jpg

704827_5b549dbc.jpg
    I don't get this argument surely if you where sitting 15 rows back in a dedicated rugby ground you'd have the same net affect?

In fairness, a stadium in Waterford would be used (a proper one with capacity for 25k +); I don't think it would be a white elephant. Walsh Park is quite a small stadium by county standard.
    what would it be used for after a rugby world cup though? Munster GAA has enough big stadiums and most certainly doesnt need another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

what would it be used for after a rugby world cup though? Munster GAA has enough big stadiums and most certainly doesnt need another.

Exactly right. We already have the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick gathering dust. No need for another un-used ground in Waterford...

Advertisement