Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Just heard a bit on the radio about the Notre Dame v Navy game this weekend in the Aviva. 35K Americans here for it (most for 5/6 days) staying in places like Dundalk & Ashford Castle!

This match is being televised live and streamed on the internet.

Apparently its worth €100m to Ireland Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jm08 wrote: »
    Just heard a bit on the radio about the Notre Dame v Navy game this weekend in the Aviva. 35K Americans here for it (most for 5/6 days) staying in places like Dundalk & Ashford Castle!

This match is being televised live and streamed on the internet.

Apparently its worth €100m to Ireland Inc.

Assuming the format of this proposed World Cup is the same as the 2011 RWC in New Zealand, there will be 48 games over approximately 6 weeks.

A 3 day Ryder Cup in a single location, or a one-off American football game or the National ploughing championships are simply not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

jm08 wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. The IRB licences a rugby union (IRFU in this instance) to host the world cup. The host rugby union pays a fee to the IRB (around €100m) which is under written by the Irish Gov. The IRB has minimum standards for the size of stadia (60K for the final) and thats about it. Its up to the IRFU/Irish Gov. to make up the fee they paid by selling tickets to games. It cost the NZRU/NZ Gov. about €10m. The IRB also owns the tv rights.

The English RU will probably make a packet on their world cup.

So in other words, we pay a hundred million quid, underwritten by a government that's desperately short of cash, and collect ticket income to make up the difference - except we're at an eight-figure disadvantage compared to other possible hosts. There's absolutely no guarantee that we'd make a hundred million quid - ticket income in NZ was around $270m NZD, but that's before expenses (staffing, lighting, the cost of renting multiple grounds from the GAA in Ireland's case). It's an extraordinarily high-risk venture, based around a lacklustre bid and a currently inadequate stadium infrastructure. Do we even have enough top-end training facilities to accommodate twenty teams (particularly given that the provincial and club setups will be in full swing at the same time and won't be in a position to hand over their facilities)?

It's an objectively bad idea: the most optimistic outcome is that we somehow contrive to break even, and that thousands of fans who want to watch their national sides in the knockouts will be thwarted by pitifully low capacities. No joking: the best outcome is a barely-breaking-even World Cup riddled with touts selling knockout tickets at appalling prices. We can't get huge capacities without spending utterly unjustifiable sums of money, we're either short on tickets or have spent a fortune on stadium upgrades (so making a profit is pie-in-the-sky), and we do this instead of doing any of a number of other options for raising the profile of rugby in Ireland or increasing tourist numbers from abroad. The stories about Ireland being offered a leg of the Sevens World Series indicate that that could probably have been run on a nearly cost-neutral basis; why not do that? There are schools and clubs who could do with additional help from the IRFU; why not do that? Instead we're ploughing ahead with a nonsense proposal that does nothing to address our lack of stadium capacity, our lack of fitness facility capacity, our abysmal public transport systems, or the fact that we're as broke as all hell.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Assuming the format of this proposed World Cup is the same as the 2011 RWC in New Zealand, there will be 48 games over approximately 6 weeks.

A 3 day Ryder Cup in a single location, or a one-off American football game or the National ploughing championships are simply not comparable.

Having to hold 48 games in the same week would be an issue, as it is, it is on average running 8 matches a week all over the country (that wouldn't be abnormal for the GAA) and not even comparable to running the Ryder Cup which handled 260K people in the same, remote spot in the same week.

This weekend there is the American Football on Saturdary, Football in Croke Park on Sunday as well as the Electric Picnic.

So in other words, we pay a hundred million quid, underwritten by a government that's desperately short of cash, and collect ticket income to make up the difference - except we're at an eight-figure disadvantage compared to other possible hosts. There's absolutely no guarantee that we'd make a hundred million quid - ticket income in NZ was around $270m NZD, but that's before expenses (staffing, lighting, the cost of renting multiple grounds from the GAA in Ireland's case). It's an extraordinarily high-risk venture, based around a lacklustre bid and a currently inadequate stadium infrastructure. Do we even have enough top-end training facilities to accommodate twenty teams (particularly given that the provincial and club setups will be in full swing at the same time and won't be in a position to hand over their facilities)?

We might be at an 8-figure disadvantage to other hosts (but I don't see the Italian RU getting the San Siro for free). Scotland has one suitable stadium (like Wales) that it owns. every other country (bar England & SA) would have to rely on other sports stadia to play their games.
    It's an objectively bad idea: the most optimistic outcome is that we somehow contrive to break even, and that thousands of fans who want to watch their national sides in the knockouts will be thwarted by pitifully low capacities. No joking: the best outcome is a barely-breaking-even World Cup riddled with touts selling knockout tickets at appalling prices. We can't get huge capacities without spending utterly unjustifiable sums of money, we're either short on tickets or have spent a fortune on stadium upgrades (so making a profit is pie-in-the-sky), and we do this instead of doing any of a number of other options for raising the profile of rugby in Ireland or increasing tourist numbers from abroad. The stories about Ireland being offered a leg of the Sevens World Series indicate that that could probably have been run on a nearly cost-neutral basis; why not do that? There are schools and clubs who could do with additional help from the IRFU; why not do that? Instead we're ploughing ahead with a nonsense proposal that does nothing to address our lack of stadium capacity, our lack of fitness facility capacity, our abysmal public transport systems, or the fact that we're as broke as all hell.

Before you do yourself a harm, came down - the IRFU/Irish Gov. are only going to do a feasibility study on it. They couldn't do that without knowing that the GAA stadia could be used. You wouldn't have heard anything about it except that the GAA have to get permission from Congress.

(I heard Permanent TSB have lost around half a billion so far this year - 10m in 10 years time is nothing!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DivingBoard

Just thought I'd post this as a follow up to my comments earlier regarding the logistics surrounding accommodating such an influx of people to the country.

For the last week I have been trying to book accommodation in Dublin this week but pretty much every hotel/BB is fully booked. I'm not sure what event is happening that has caused this but it was suggested by one of the hotels that one of the universities was holding a conference this week.

Regardless of what it is, it has rendered Dublin practically full. Now unless we are hosting something that is actually on a larger scale than the RWC, it has not instilled me with confidence in our ability to host a RWC.

Seriously, try looking for a hotel in Dublin for tonight or tomorrow. Bar a small number of rooms in city west or having to pay 300 - 400 euro a night, we're pretty much full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Just thought I'd post this as a follow up to my comments earlier regarding the logistics surrounding accommodating such an influx of people to the country.

For the last week I have been trying to book accommodation in Dublin this week but pretty much every hotel/BB is fully booked. I'm not sure what event is happening that has caused this but it was suggested by one of the hotels that one of the universities was holding a conference this week.

Regardless of what it is, it has rendered Dublin practically full. Now unless we are hosting something that is actually on a larger scale than the RWC, it has not instilled me with confidence in our ability to host a RWC.

Seriously, try looking for a hotel in Dublin for tonight or tomorrow. Bar a small number of rooms in city west or having to pay 300 - 400 euro a night, we're pretty much full.

Interesting.
    I've arranged places for attendants to a seminar this morning in the Ballsbridge area in the last couple of days with no worries. All under €100 per night.
    There are heaps of rooms in city centre and environs of Dublin. Travelling to a RWC isn't something generally done on the fly either.

get better at the internet imo

http://www.lastminute.com/trips/hotellist/listInternal?ac_city=Dublin&pTxId=1105928&startIndex=0&checkInDate=2012-09-12&checkOutDate=2012-09-14&hotelMaxReturnPerPage=25&guestCounts=2&guestCodes=ADULT&configId=S72722479&city=Dublin%2C+Ireland&numRooms=1&intcmp=home1_hotels&path=hotels&ac_country=IE#hotelNames=&filter_byHotelAmenityIds=&filterHtlSmiley=&filterHtlPriceRanges=87,719&strikethroughAndPromo=false&filterHtlStarRatings=&sortBy=price

2 nights, 2 adults, starting at £87 (that's £22 pppn) and that's booking on the day that you want to check in!

Obviously you can't expect the Ritz or whatever for that kind of price, but if you up your budget to £80 pppn, you can indeed stay there!

http://www.lastminute.com/trips/hotellist/listInternal?ac_city=Dublin&pTxId=1105928&startIndex=0&checkInDate=2012-09-12&checkOutDate=2012-09-14&hotelMaxReturnPerPage=25&guestCounts=2&guestCodes=ADULT&configId=S72722479&city=Dublin%2C+Ireland&numRooms=1&intcmp=home1_hotels&path=hotels&ac_country=IE#hotelNames=&filter_byHotelAmenityIds=&filterHtlSmiley=&filterHtlPriceRanges=87,719&strikethroughAndPromo=false&filterHtlStarRatings=5&sortBy=price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ballsbridge Hotel (old jurys), Bewleys Ballsbridge, Sandymount Hotel can be certain have rooms and are minutes from town. My girlfriend works in one of them and they're definitely not full. All under 100 euro per night too.

Also, regarding a conference, I don't know how much you know about Dublin, but according to a good friend of mine who works for Failte Ireland, Dublin is the number one conference venue in Europe, bar none. We have the biggest and best conference facilities in all of Europe and the capacity to host multiple major international seminars. (the conference centre on the quays, the RDS, Dublin conference centre at the the point, Croke Park, Aviva Stadium, Dublin castle, Helix DCU, O'Reilly UCD, TCD amogst others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Off-topic somewhat, but yesterday's Telegraph said that the RFU are aiming to sell three million tickets for RWC 2015, that's an average of 62,500 tickets per game. Seems wildly ambitious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

they might just be able to manage that... throw in twickenham, wembley, olympic stadium??, old trafford, your 15,000+ above that, emerates in that area the which is almost half of the stadia. Guessing most of the group games in these and then everything past it which would balance out the lower capacity grounds...
    you would still imagine that the olympic stadium would have to be available at its current capacity and they sell out the lower interest games in 40k stadiums to manage it though.
    other problem is that only 1 of the 60k plus stadiums is outside london... big city i know but you wont be spreading the big games around the country if they are to reach that total

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

overshoot wrote: »
    they might just be able to manage that... throw in twickenham, wembley, olympic stadium??, old trafford, your 15,000+ above that, emerates in that area the which is almost half of the stadia. Guessing most of the group games in these and tadhen everything past it which would balance out the lower capacity grounds...
    you would still imagine that the olympic stadium would have to be available at its current capacity and they sell out the lower interest games in 40k stadiums to manage it though.
    other problem is that only 1 of the 60k plus stadiums is outside london... big city i know but you wont be spreading the big games around the country if they are to reach that total
    7 of the 12 stadiums that they are using have attendances of less that 60K, one has an attendance as low as 18K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

overshoot wrote: »
    they might just be able to manage that... throw in twickenham, wembley, olympic stadium??, old trafford, your 15,000+ above that, emerates in that area the which is almost half of the stadia. Guessing most of the group games in these and then everything past it which would balance out the lower capacity grounds...

I don't doubt the capacity of the stadia, just the level of public interest in games involving lower tier teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

7 of the 12 stadiums that they are using have attendances of less that 60K, one has an attendance as low as 18K
    been a while since i looked into rwc15... forgot they had named most and the millenium was being used but after reading this hard to know how set in stone it is
    ER 2015's chief operating officer Ross Young claims the process is "still on-going" in deciding which grounds host the tournament with each prospective host city asked to submit their proposals this week.
    "We have the option of using the Olympic Park to stage matches and that is at the forefront of our minds,' Young is quoted as saying in the Daily Mail. "The issue we have is that they (Olympic Park Legacy Company) have gone through a number of options in terms of the long-term use of the stadium. That process is still on-going and it doesn't fit into the time-line we have to operate within. The issue is we can't get finite answers.
    then again i did read that on espnscrum... never completely trusted them

get better at the internet imo

2 nights, 2 adults, starting at £87 (that's £22 pppn) and that's booking on the day that you want to check in!

Obviously you can't expect the Ritz or whatever for that kind of price, but if you up your budget to £80 pppn, you can indeed stay there!

I am well aware of how to use the internet.

Today Lastminute.ie pulls up four hotels in the whole of Dublin, most of which are a distance from the city centre (bar Santry but that's no use as our offices our based on the Southside of the city) and one of which is actually in Wicklow. On an average mid week last minute should pull up at the very least 30 - 40 hotels.

And no I don't expect the Ritz but the room is for a corporate guest so yes there is a standard that has to be met.
    Jackass wrote:
    Ballsbridge Hotel (old jurys), Bewleys Ballsbridge, Sandymount Hotel can be certain have rooms and are minutes from town. My girlfriend works in one of them and they're definitely not full. All under 100 euro per night too.

Also, regarding a conference, I don't know how much you know about Dublin, but according to a good friend of mine who works for Failte Ireland, Dublin is the number one conference venue in Europe, bar none. We have the biggest and best conference facilities in all of Europe and the capacity to host multiple major international seminars. (the conference centre on the quays, the RDS, Dublin conference centre at the the point, Croke Park, Aviva Stadium, Dublin castle, Helix DCU, O'Reilly UCD, TCD amogst others)

I contacted our accounts manager in Jurys, Herbert Park, Four Seasons, Bewleys, The Burlington, The Sandymount Hotel and the Hilton. None of which have rooms available. Practically every hotel in the IFSC/Dublin City Centre are also full.

I am also well aware of Dublin's position in Europe with regard hosting of conferences and in fact by highlighting that point you've given another example of how I don't believe we could host the RWC. If we host a RWC in 2023 we would have to accommodate that on top of what we are already accommodating.

Unless of course we stop everything else that is happening for the two months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

I do believe if our bid is succesful, we are given more than 1 weeks notice.

More that one week alright. Plenty of time to build a load more hotels...

I am well aware of how to use the internet.

Today Lastminute.ie pulls up four hotels in the whole of Dublin, most of which are a distance from the city centre (bar Santry but that's no use as our offices our based on the Southside of the city) and one of which is actually in Wicklow. On an average mid week last minute should pull up at the very least 30 - 40 hotels.

And no I don't expect the Ritz but the room is for a corporate guest so yes there is a standard that has to be met.

I contacted our accounts manager in Jurys, Herbert Park, Four Seasons, Bewleys, The Burlington, The Sandymount Hotel and the Hilton. None of which have rooms available. Practically every hotel in the IFSC/Dublin City Centre are also full.

I am also well aware of Dublin's position in Europe with regard hosting of conferences and in fact by highlighting that point you've given another example of how I don't believe we could host the RWC. If we host a RWC in 2023 we would have to accommodate that on top of what we are already accommodating.

Unless of course we stop everything else that is happening for the two months...

Four Seasons, Sandymount Hotel and Ariel House all had rooms available yesterday. Not bad for last minute during this time of times, was it?

Why would I bother lying about the availability of rooms?

But since you mentioned it I have already checked with the Four Seasons today and they are again full.

Dreaming is one thing, reality is another. I'm completely open to suggestions of how we could feasibly host a world cup but at the moment the amount of accommodation we have available doesn't suit.

In 2009 Dublin had 160 hotels with a total room count of 19,111. At the time they were running at an average occupancy rate of about 70%. Given the current economic pressures the country faces if anything the room count has probably fallen but for the sake of the example I'll say they are the same. Lets focus on the final few games. Given Croker is an 80K seated stadium and the Aviva is 50K I think we could hazard a guess that these two stadiums will be hosting at least one semi-final and the final. Just those two games are going to be a combined attendance of 130K. Of course there's going to be a lot of Irish at the game but lets be realistic, there will be plenty of fans from other nations, not to mention the actual finalists, all looking to attend the penultimate games of the Rugby World Cup.

Even if half of the fans are Irish that's still leaves 65K looking for accommodation in a capitol that has less than 20K rooms. And if we factor in that the average occupancy is already at 70%, we're looking at 65K fans with 6K rooms available.

The maths just doesn't work.

Whether you believe me or not about accomodation in Dublin this week is irrelevant. Your efforts would be better served trying to come up with a solution rather than covering your ears and saying the problem isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

People are really underestimating the cities ability to cope, conferences and stuff will be moved away from world cup time, fact. Tourists will also avoid Dublin during it because it'll be expensive.

Stick a few cruise ships in the river and open up every single hotel and hostel. Festival style camping site in the Phoenix park.

Remember a huge percentage of Welsh, Scottish and English people have Irish relatives who'll put them up for the world cup. I know my relatives will end up staying with my parents. We'll have 10 years to improve infrastructure, hostels will expand their dorm sizes and we'll have a fleet of rented English busses. Pubs in temple bar will be opening up accommodation upstairs.

Honestly if Qatar can host a football world cup, if Athens can host an Olympics, then we can host a rugby world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »
    People are really underestimating the cities ability to cope, conferences and stuff will be moved away from world cup time, fact. Tourists will also avoid Dublin during it because it'll be expensive.

Stick a few cruise ships in the river and open up every single hotel and hostel. Festival style camping site in the Phoenix park.

Remember a huge percentage of Welsh, Scottish and English people have Irish relatives who'll put them up for the world cup. I know my relatives will end up staying with my parents. We'll have 10 years to improve infrastructure, hostels will expand their dorm sizes and we'll have a fleet of rented English busses. Pubs in temple bar will be opening up accommodation upstairs.

Honestly if Qatar can host a football world cup, if Athens can host an Olympics, then we can host a rugby world cup.

By all accounts Athens was a complete economic failure, and the population of Athens is almost the same as the whole of Ireland.

I'm sceptical about our ability to host it, but if the powers that be are confident it can be done, I'm willing to trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

I dont think you're lying but you're definitely making some mistakes in your searching. Kayak ( https://www.kayak.com/#/hotels/Dublin,Ireland-c7362/2012-09-13/2012-09-14 ) is showing 347 hotels with vacancies for tonight alone in Dublin.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I dont think you're lying but you're definitely making some mistakes in your searching. Kayak ( https://www.kayak.com/#/hotels/Dublin,Ireland-c7362/2012-09-13/2012-09-14 ) is showing 347 hotels with vacancies for tonight alone in Dublin.

Never heard of Kayak.com but I have a feeling that is just pulling up every hotel but rather than actually checking for availability. For example it has pulled up the Herbert Park but if you actually check with them directly you'll find its completely full

https://bookings.herbertparkhotel.ie/sites/HerbertPark/?wsid=268917549&yearmonth=2012-09&day=13

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Never heard of Kayak.com but I have a feeling that is just pulling up every hotel but rather than actually checking for availability. For example it has pulled up the Herbert Park but if you actually check with them directly you'll find its completely full

https://bookings.herbertparkhotel.ie/sites/HerbertPark/?wsid=268917549&yearmonth=2012-09&day=13
    A lot of hotel search websites book rooms (often at a wholesale rate) to sell on themselves, so just because the herbert park hotel thinks they are full does not mean that they are actually full.

Not saying thats the case here but it often happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tox56 wrote: »
    By all accounts Athens was a complete economic failure, and the population of Athens is almost the same as the whole of Ireland.

I'm sceptical about our ability to host it, but if the powers that be are confident it can be done, I'm willing to trust them.
    Athens was a failure because the cynical money grabbing greeks hiked their prices and thus nobody came ! I know one of these entrepreneurs and his newly renovated place stayed empty for the games!
    And the locals didnt bother going to games either meaning empty stadiums. Rugby in Ireland is different.

London Olympics had a combination of lots of visitors and massive local/ regional interest to ensure full stadia. So again different from greece where apathy and greed caused their mess.

Ireland wouldnt be much different for a rugby world cup than London for the olympics. Many locals (EDIT: who would not be needing ANY accomodation as they live local! ) would go to the game near them just out of curiosity and to say they have been at the competition. Fans from neighbouring countries can make a day trip very easily for games by air or ferry. A good example there is the Europa cup final where 2 portugese teams brought most fans in and out in the same say. Or the Champions leage in Moscow.

I was in germany for the 2006 world cup and it was remarkable how fans from neighbouring countries on the whole just landed before the game and straight off afterwards. For 6 nations games a lot just come to Dublin for the day also.

Or the same fans from GB or France (or italy) can bring their car so if staying longer dont necessarily need to stay in the booked out cities but can base themselves cheaply in the regions and do a tour of ireland in the meantime and just travel to the cities for the games.

anyhow, the long and the short is that accomodation is not as big a problem as it is made out to be.
    Not a deal breaker anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,344 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

errlloyd wrote: »

I don't think any (many) are arguing that its impossible ; in a dreamworld where no-one else bids then our bid is perfectly fine and we could put on a wholly acceptable world cup.
    The problem is that compared to other potential bids our looks a bit crap. It looks like we'd we up against Italy,SouthAfrica and a possible USA/Canada bid. And these bids would have seven or eight large cities with transport systems, infrastructure, a 50K+ stadium and 15,000 hotels rooms. No need for campsites,docked ships or staying with distant relatives in these bids.
    The neutral unbiased assessor would basically strike through our bid at an early stage.

Which is not to say there aren't grounds for optimism and positives. The size of our country means we are likely to be the only bid which allows the true rugby lover to see 2 games in a day or 6 games in a weekend, so it can be sold as A Festival of Fans Rugby or whatever. And the voting system used by the IRB council is a bonus for us as well.

But since you mentioned it I have already checked with the Four Seasons today and they are again full.

Dreaming is one thing, reality is another. I'm completely open to suggestions of how we could feasibly host a world cup but at the moment the amount of accommodation we have available doesn't suit.

In 2009 Dublin had 160 hotels with a total room count of 19,111. At the time they were running at an average occupancy rate of about 70%. Given the current economic pressures the country faces if anything the room count has probably fallen but for the sake of the example I'll say they are the same. Lets focus on the final few games. Given Croker is an 80K seated stadium and the Aviva is 50K I think we could hazard a guess that these two stadiums will be hosting at least one semi-final and the final. Just those two games are going to be a combined attendance of 130K. Of course there's going to be a lot of Irish at the game but lets be realistic, there will be plenty of fans from other nations, not to mention the actual finalists, all looking to attend the penultimate games of the Rugby World Cup.

Even if half of the fans are Irish that's still leaves 65K looking for accommodation in a capitol that has less than 20K rooms. And if we factor in that the average occupancy is already at 70%, we're looking at 65K fans with 6K rooms available.

Whether you believe me or not about accomodation in Dublin this week is irrelevant. Your efforts would be better served trying to come up with a solution rather than covering your ears and saying the problem isn't there.
    Problem isn't there. There is plenty of accommodation. I just believe you're being a bit too selective, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

There's loads of accommodation.

A few weeks ago we had all Ireland Semi finals in Croker and 40-odd thousand Americans in Dublin for the weekend. We managed alright.

From speaking to a lot of Americans who went to the game, a lot didn't bother with hotels, they did short term apartment letting and B&B's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

JustinDee wrote: »
    Problem isn't there. There is plenty of accommodation. I just believe you're being a bit too selective, that's all.
    +1

ideally you would like to be within a 2 minute walk or drive from the stadium but nowhere in the world do you have this.
    For a large event many will have to stay in neighbouring towns.

This happens regularily abroad for trade fairs and the likes.
    For the C-bit technology fair in Hannover I had to stay 2 nights in Kassel 170km away as there was nothing available closer ! Its just the way it is for in demand events. You need to be flexible!
    For the Oktoberfest in Munich in a few weeks there'll be tipping 7 million visitors over 2 weeks, most of them living local/ regional but a lot arent. Those that dont want to pay the silly prices for local hotels either camp, do organised long distance day trips by coach from Italy/ Holland/ Northern germany, stay in camper vans (errr remember the irish at Euro 2012 ?? ), camp in a tent or just stay an hour away and the saving more than pays for the necessary railfare.

Anyhow, the need for accomodation is overstated as the amount of local neutrals and day trippers from nearby countries will make up the vast majority of spectators.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Latest news on this...initial phase of putting out the feelers are over, now IRFU are presenting a feasability study to the Government. Momentum is building, the bid at very least seems like it could definitely be a runner...whether we get it or not will depend largely on how much funding the Government could commit and how on board the GAA really will be, but mentioned in the article, they see this is a good opportunity to get funding for stadia upgrades, and fair play to them if they get that for lending a hand with the bid..

IRFU to meet Varadkar over plans

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

The IRFU are to meet with Leo Varadkar, the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, early next week to lay out plans for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup in Ireland.

The GAA have already lent their support to a bid, as the association’s stadiums would be essential for the tournament to be held on this island.

“The IRFU has done the feasibility study with some funding from my department and also the department in Northern Ireland,” said Varadkar yesterday. “They are due to brief me next week on the pros and cons of it.”

Varadkar is due to meet Arlene Foster, the Northern Ireland assembly Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Investment, next week to discuss a joint tourism event, and hosting the World Cup will also be discussed.

New Zealand, with a population of less than 4.5 million, successfully hosted the tournament in 2011, prompting the union to begin investigations into bringing the final to Dublin in 10 years’ time.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne has already stated that government support is essential to a successful bid, while the GAA have indicated any necessary refurbishment of their grounds must be assisted by government finances.

“I am very enthusiastic about it,” Varadkar continued. “I would really love to have it in Ireland.

“I think we can do it, because if New Zealand can do it, we can do it better. It may involve some sort of investment from the government and I would have to go to my colleagues about that but certainly if the IRFU want to make a bid they will have the support of the government.

“I just don’t know exactly what that is.”

The organisers of the New Zealand World Cup announced a loss of NZ$31.3 million (€19.8 million), which was NZ$8 million (€5 million) less than initially forecast.

The 2015 World Cup takes place in England with several matches in Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium. Japan will host the 2019 tournament, with some games in Hong Kong and Singapore.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0305/1224330788768.html

Advertisement