Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Morning all - back to work today :-( didn't wake all night so I don't think it was particularly bad down here am I right?! Everywhere else seems to have faired pretty well though as regards wind speeds!

You obviously don't wake easily! That was one of the worst winds I ever experienced in Cork. We were without power from midnight to 3am approx. Thought the trees outside house were going to fall!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

p1000256a.jpg

Love that pic. My dog is about 3 times the size and looked outside and coward in the corner when I opened the door. My dog is a wuss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a max gust of 58mph (93.3kph) (50.4kt) at 10m (standard obs height)

Not bad for an inland and sheltered valley that runs SSE/NNW. (Almost right angle to last night's storm)

Maxed at a whopping 12.4c, so there was a nice bit if sub-tropical air getting caught up in the flow.

No obvious damage to report... yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard noises last night that I hadn't before as the wind whipped around between the houses and around the Soffits. A bit worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Thank god that night is over with!!!
    Max gust here in Wexford was 77.2km/h at 4.03 this morning.
    Getting very dark here now and cold, looks like more rain on the way, still windy but nothing like last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

Just had a look at my neighbour weather station 6km NE of Athlone

had a highest gust of 74.7km wind speed 73.3km around 4 am

check out here
    www.killinure.net/weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

tzfrantic wrote: »
    damn so these winds cannot knock down trees then what winds can

Trees will fall for a variety of reasons. Very high gust will snap good trees with good foundations. Strong wind coming from a different direction than the prevailing wind can push trees over more easily.

Soggy ground will make good trees vulnerable to being pushed over from even mild wind [sometimes these trees are just pushed back and with a tractor ;)]

Rotten trees are vulnerable from all winds but may look fine without a tree inspection.

Trees may have splinter from a previous event and now give away and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Still very windy in Greystones, keeps blowing the heating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A few more from around Scotland. Looks like the wind is dying down, I need to go to the shops to buy some bread for my lunch!

Lorry on the M8 Kingston Bridge in the centre of Glasgow
    6a1acea8.jpg

Fallen trees
    bc882a2c.jpg

ec7b5b6a.jpg

A load of chimneys on this block down
    82536e24.jpg

Damage to someones roof
    6416e36f.jpg

A9 (trunk road from central belt to Inverness) at Dumochter Pass
    79e1bfba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

wind seems to be picking up again here in Longford compared to an hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

No wind records, as the anemometer is off the pole being repaired. Wild enough night, and my 1100 Ltr wheel bin is not where I left it last night, it's "parked" ( no damage) against the front of one of the cars. Given the winds that's not surprising I hear. True, but there is a 3.5 metre high wall only 20 Mtrs upwind of where the bin lives, and a commecial building beyond the wall that's 2/3 stories high, so we're not exactly exposed here.

From the reports in various places, there have been close on 20,000 without power at some stage, with the majority in the North West, and there are trees down all over, widespread other debris just about anywhere, a number of flights delayed or cancelled, and Sky News is full of reports at the moment of problems in the UK, especially Scotland, where there are bridges closed, HGV's blown over on motorways, and a lot of other problems, with a full Red alert for the central band of Scotland.

For me, it's clear that we came very close last night to a major country wide storm, and anyone that had what they reckon was a "quiet" night can consider themselves well placed in that they must be in a location that was shadowed by high ground or similar, given the reports that are now coming in from across the country.

Given the noises I'm still hearing here at this stage of the morning, I'm glad I am not trying to repair any of the power lines that are down at the moment, anyone climbing poles today is going to have to be very careful, there's still some serious weather out there at the moment.

The one redeeming aspect, (which will be upsetting plenty of people) is that there's no precipitation happening in this area at the moment, it's actually surprising just how clear the sky is at the moment, and while there's some rainfall on the radar, it's a lot less than I would have expected.

The 3 hour forecasts from ME are showing some thought provoking ripples in the isobars at the very edge of the charts, which looks like another small centre heading for the North West later on today, so it's not over yet for those areas.

All in all, a wild night, and well called by the relevant people.

The small cell you mentioned how severe would you rate it in terms of wind speeds.cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust in the Waterford area was 104km/h 57KT recorded at Waterford Airport. My own station recorded a max gust of 60km/h which i was surprised at, thought it would be more.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still the odd rogue gust here, now accompanied by hail and sleet. Don't fancy going out in ut but I have no choice.

Ulli's cousin from the North looks like it's bringing plenty of wintry showers with it on sat24.

Northwest in for a rough day if still without power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen BBC news there, highest gust was 105mph at Malin Head, even higher than Scotlands so far.

gust of 71knots at mace head,is there a renewal in the making?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I am not sure will anyone find this useful but I compiled a windspeed conversion chart just for personal use a while back but if it is of any use to anyone else here it is. It shows windspeed in knots and corresponding speeds in mph, km/h and m/s as well as the Beaufort scale. (its big, sorry)

187017.jpg

Great stuff Deep!

Last night a brief windy period around 2am; nothing exceptional. Moderately heavy rain midnight to 5am (11.8mm).

Very much a damp squib squid squiddle piddle behind the shelter of the Dublin Mountains; we've had worse in the past month; not a twig blown down.

Yet Windy Armageddon strikes the usual places! :eek:

I think the weather is boycotting us this year - must be something I done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Are some of the frames on sat24 having a bit of a fit for anyone else ?

Some parts seem blacked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

New year resolution - get my anemometer from 4 metres high to 10 metres high...

Max 10 minute speed was at 5:22am when the speed reached 41.3km/hr
    Highest gust was 72.4km/hr and that was at 5:05am.

So it would have been good to have the anemometer at the correct height as no doubt the correct speeds were much higher.

12.6mm of rain so far today.

There was a squally rain to sleet shower as temperature tumbled down to 3.7C in the shower.
    If we get showers later today I think we will see some hill snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Looking at my station this morning I had a peak gust at 01:15 of 61.2km/h

This is in Mid-Kerry ... strongest wind I've recorded since I put my station up in March.
    Remarkably we didn't lose power ..we normally do. Still quite gusty out there now

highest wind gust since 1998 mr.under hyped
    http://www.iwo.ie/2012/01/03/malin-head-gusts-to-169-kmh/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Well that was one of the roughest nights weather I've experienced in a long time. Had to bring the poor dogs upstairs last night they're freaked out!

So is that the worst over then? on the waterford/tipp border...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Sean (without offending you), your glass really is half empty isn't it ;):D:p

ashblag wrote: »
    Well that was one of the roughest nights weather I've experienced in a long time. Had to bring the poor dogs upstairs last night they're freaked out!

So is that the worst over then? on the waterford/tipp border...

yea think so for your area anyway..updated warning from met.ie
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Tactical wrote: »
    Sean (without offending you), your glass really is half empty isn't it ;):D:p

I concur was the highest gust at malin since 1998
    http://www.iwo.ie/2012/01/03/malin-head-gusts-to-169-kmh/
    we can only go on facts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea the comma heading in from the northwest looks interesting will increase the gradient again from 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Max gust in the Waterford area was 104km/h 57KT recorded at Waterford Airport. My own station recorded a max gust of 60km/h which i was surprised at, thought it would be more.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

Mick where do you get the waterford airport information?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Min wrote: »
    New year resolution - get my anemometer from 4 metres high to 10 metres high...

Am doing the very same thing myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

I see my post was removed with record speed... worse than North Korea in here. Surprised people even had time to read it... Ok I outta here....so will save yourself the bother of banning me.. oh before I go reports coming in of a major incident in Dublin.... a flower pot has been knocked over and is blocking access to a patio... family distraught they have to step over it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The small cell you mentioned how severe would you rate it in terms of wind speeds.cheers

Not sure, there's a noticable compression on the isobars on the chart, but it's a while since I used the chart that gives the estimated wind speed based on the compression of the isobars, it's an aviation chart that used to be used very widely, but I've not seen on in recent years, probably because the other systems now are so much better than they used to be.

As a rough guess, depending on where it goes, it might miss the North Coast, I reckon it could put an additional 10 to 15 Kts on the windspeed, but that's a guess, and time of day and other factors could contribute to more or less at the time.

A lot will depend on the final track, if it goes offshore a little more, then it will "miss", and there won't be a noticeable effect, if it comes slightly further south, then it will mean an increase for Donegal and the North.

Can't be more specific than that, I'm afraid I'm not in the same league as MT and some of the other observers and forecasters here, more an interested amateur :D

Hope that helps

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Was a wild night in Bray by my estimation! Stayed up with ye until about 2, but left the window open a crack just so I could hear the wind better.... well come 5am and the window was blown totally open and nearly off the hinges, curtains flying like a Meatloaf video, and some mean breezes out there. Of course THAT was the time the puppy (who won't go outside by himself) decided he needed to go for a wee... so I got the full experience, sideways rain, violent gusts, etc, including getting back into bed with soaking wet hair. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine what it was like in the NW :eek:

Just had a lovely little hail shower here about 10 minutes ago too....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement