Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Wind has significantly picked up in the last ten minutes.M.T's forecast has been spot on thus far regarding here.should be an interesting few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The most notifiable factor of this storm at my Waterford Station has been the rapid pressure decrease since 7pm. Amazing drop in a short space of time.

187010.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Winds becoming very notable here now. Some very loud gusts, 51kts just recorded on my roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

http://www.wexfordweather.com/

latest from wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

the sustained force of the wind is frightning...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

damn so these winds cannot knock down trees then what winds can

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

there having you on,it's wind speed that matters and yes if the higher end gust materialised that have been forecast,then there is a high possibility trees could be felled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

james08 wrote: »
    Getting very windy in Sligo now... really has intensified within the last half hour!
    What part of sligo are you in?In rathcormac(about 4 miles north of sligo town) at the minute and its ok the wind is barley more than a whisper its extremely mild though turned on the car for the crack and it giving tempatures of 14.2c:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

Gusts starting to get scary now (I'm a few miles north of Castlebar). There's a tree close enough to the house to do serious damage if it were to topple, and the wind is coming in just the wrong direction for that to happen. Thinking of moving downstairs for a few hours. Certainly won't sleep while this is going on...

sounds perfect for a blockbuster movie,you got a camera man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Has this storm tracked further south than predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wind getting to scary level now quite vicious Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Winds becoming very notable here now. Some very loud gusts, 51kts just recorded on my roof.
    Finally you are getting your wind DE ;)

Winds picking up here now but just sounds like a normal windy night so far.

i know it is wind speed of coarse i was just wondering was this wind speed strong enoughto knock tree's down at a few of my tree's are tilt a good bit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

baraca wrote: »
    Most phones/camcorders have a light these days. :)

Oh great. Snow Ghost....make sure you use that light when you head out to get Baraca his video willya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Its extremely windy here in North Kerry.Just kissed goodbye to my back fence its completely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

bassy wrote: »
    sounds perfect for a blockbuster movie,you got a camera man.

I'm seriously hoping that I will have no cause to use a camera tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wind certainly sounds impressive!
    Recent gust 49 mph, 10 min mean 27 mph

Baro981.55 hPa Falling

Temp 12.1C

www.galwaycityweather.com

What part of sligo are you in?In rathcormac(about 4 miles north of sligo town) at the minute and its ok the wind is barley more than a whisper its extremely mild though turned on the car for the crack and it giving tempatures of 14.2c:eek:

are ya in gurteen,i know that place well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally picked up here in the past 20 minutes, a few proper roars from the wind but nothing sustained at all. The only explanation I have is that there's a hill to my south west which is sheltering me from the wind, hard to believe there's storm force winds a half a mile down the road but going by other reports that must be the case. Hopefully it picks up when the wind swings around more to the NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Belmullet to 72KT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

tzfrantic wrote: »
    i know it is wind speed of coarse i was just wondering was this wind speed strong enoughto knock tree's down at a few of my tree's are tilt a good bit

Yes, any wind will knock down or snap a tree if its strong enough. Sometimes wind doesnt have to be all that strong to take down a tree.

During winter months a tree has more wind resistance than in summer when it has its leaves which act like sails.

Just got Stormy now in the past two minutes. Finally she has arrived!

damn u want my tree to fall so i can go outside with my pots and pans banging them and screaming the end is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Latest gust 59 mph

Several loud crashes outside :eek:

www.galwaycityweather.com

wee bit of wind here in north kilkenny,nothing impressive.
    are we due more serious wind here ?.

tzfrantic wrote: »
    damn u want my tree to fall so i can go outside with my pots and pans banging them and screaming the end is here

goodman,i suppose your on the 3 network as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Finally you are getting your wind DE ;)

Winds picking up here now but just sounds like a normal windy night so far.

Frequency of high gusts increasing by the second here. A small, rare taste of normal Donegal weather at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Any live webcams looking at the sea in the west?

• Advertisement

Very fast tranistion here as M.T. predicted, very stormy now, put my head out the door but not for long as the sounds coming from out there was intimidating!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement