Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Morning all - back to work today :-( didn't wake all night so I don't think it was particularly bad down here am I right?! Everywhere else seems to have faired pretty well though as regards wind speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Reading this thread makes me kinda wish I wasn't sitting on a Wales-bound boat. Or having to come back the same way this afternoon. Thanks guys! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been awake since 4am here in the North West.

Its bloody rough! Heard on the news that the winds have topped 100mph in Donegal during the night. I certainly cant remember the last time I heard wind as noisy, if that doesnt sound stupid.

Looking forward to daylight, it always seems worse in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yawn time to call it a night/day. Was fun.

!BoN2(-gBWk~$(KGrHqYOKjgEtlwkLonuBLmorQ41Vg~~_35.JPG

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Left the house two hours ago. My outside Xmas tree survived. My green bin survived. My full (and heavy) black bin didn't! Poor husky was not going out in the weather, so kept her in. Log cabin survived. Gates didn't. Some Christmas decorations went for a hop. Third floor in a hospital at the minute and can hear the wind lashing against the walls. Sounds like its picking up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Was expecting a lot worse along the N11/M50, couple of nudges along the way but nothing to write home about, I think the east is supposed to get hit at 8am onwards so there could be more to come as the morning progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just been out for a stroll. A few small old branches down but nothing serious. Would describe weather as breezy now.

Is there another peek expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

irish1967 wrote: »
    Is there another peek expected ?

Think I read in this thread somewhere that there is sting jet? expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

50km/h gust recorded (so double it considering where my wind gauge is )

4am (thats what kept me awake )driving in this morning branches everywhere but nothing major

note to self, batteries gone in temp gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My neighbours fir tree blew over onto the corner of his house..... Posting from my phone so will attach photo later....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

15,000 people without power and trees down everywhere apparently, according to RTE.

Strong winds here, but nothing compared to last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

excellent views here from the lahinch webcam.
    http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch-web-cam-271257cm1.html

edit.if it appears blurry at times it's because the spray is hitting the surfshop window.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

50km/h gust recorded (so double it considering where my wind gauge is )

Ditto here, checked my station log just now and recorded a 62kph gust around 5am this morning and my wind gauge is in a poor (sheltered) location also.

Corresponds with the time I awoke this morning to an almighty gust, and when my little daughter came running into our room crying about the noise. Poor thing, she got the fright of her life. Never heard anything like it, thought the roof was going to fly off!!

Red Warning On UK Met Office for wind in Scotland!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We are currently experiencing the worst wind I have ever seen. It kept us awake from about 4am and I thought the roof was going to come off. My fence is down, I will post a pic later.

A guy on my facebook said that a gust of 143mph has been recorded on the Scottish Borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Crazy storm, Gusts were of the charts here last night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We are currently experiencing the worst wind I have ever seen. It kept us awake from about 4am and I thought the roof was going to come off. My fence is down, I will post a pic later.

Yeah, looks like central Scotland getting a real battering now. Impressive winds inland funnelling all the way to Edinbrugh. I'd say there will be some considerable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

It has calmed down now here. Just a strong breeze. Between 03:00 and 04:30 was the strongest winds here. Certainly the strongest I have encountered in a long time. Thankfully no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

this was recorded in Carlow this morning : 75.7 km/h 5:20am woke me up but went back to sleep ! still windy now! sounds like a cat growling in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Serious gusts in Dun Laoghaire last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like central Scotland getting a real battering now. Impressive winds inland funnelling all the way to Edinbrugh. I'd say there will be some considerable damage.

Major blizzards in parts of Scotland too apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You sure it's not the THUNDER that's currently hitting Glasgow ADIG? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Woah , that squall line really picked up! ... Too bad its not very picturesque with all the cloud in advance of it!

392578_10150571790076718_631736717_11491299_613210906_n.jpg

Edinburgh Airport now closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Holy crap, that was serious wind.

I sleep in the attic and got the full whack of it, could hear all the roof tiles moving, somehow they're still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

p1000244a.jpg

And the obligatory pic of a furry dog in the wind :D

p1000256a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky News reporting that trains to Scotland are going no further than Newcastle and they've now closed the road to Edinburgh airport as gusts inland top 100mph.

p1000244a.jpg

And the obligatory pic of a furry dog in the wind :D

p1000256a.jpg

Pic 1. Woah!! , Hope that the can be fixed easily enough!

Pic 2 * Posh accent* " Why i MUST Sauy .... tis quite ... Breezy ...outside" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

No wind records, as the anemometer is off the pole being repaired. Wild enough night, and my 1100 Ltr wheel bin is not where I left it last night, it's "parked" ( no damage) against the front of one of the cars. Given the winds that's not surprising I hear. True, but there is a 3.5 metre high wall only 20 Mtrs upwind of where the bin lives, and a commecial building beyond the wall that's 2/3 stories high, so we're not exactly exposed here.

From the reports in various places, there have been close on 20,000 without power at some stage, with the majority in the North West, and there are trees down all over, widespread other debris just about anywhere, a number of flights delayed or cancelled, and Sky News is full of reports at the moment of problems in the UK, especially Scotland, where there are bridges closed, HGV's blown over on motorways, and a lot of other problems, with a full Red alert for the central band of Scotland.

For me, it's clear that we came very close last night to a major country wide storm, and anyone that had what they reckon was a "quiet" night can consider themselves well placed in that they must be in a location that was shadowed by high ground or similar, given the reports that are now coming in from across the country.

Given the noises I'm still hearing here at this stage of the morning, I'm glad I am not trying to repair any of the power lines that are down at the moment, anyone climbing poles today is going to have to be very careful, there's still some serious weather out there at the moment.

The one redeeming aspect, (which will be upsetting plenty of people) is that there's no precipitation happening in this area at the moment, it's actually surprising just how clear the sky is at the moment, and while there's some rainfall on the radar, it's a lot less than I would have expected.

The 3 hour forecasts from ME are showing some thought provoking ripples in the isobars at the very edge of the charts, which looks like another small centre heading for the North West later on today, so it's not over yet for those areas.

All in all, a wild night, and well called by the relevant people.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement