Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A real strong jet stream moving over the country in the next few days.

Is going to pick up again tomorrow afternoon and evening, in a strong gale force WNW wind. Winds won't be as extreme in as we have seen in the northwest. But i actually anticipate the gale may be felt more widespread across the country with sustained 30-40KT gusting 50-60KT quite widely.

JetStream

Rtavn3014.png

925hpa Winds (Tomorrow Evening)

Rtavn3013.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Pics form stormy scotland here

Last picture in this lot has a wind turbine exploding

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16094360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

In the top centre of the satellite shot posted above you can see two contrails from aircraft, very cool!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bigus wrote: »

Not sure if you are aware but those pictures are from December 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    that squall ploughed through here early this morning, with 70 +mm/hr rain rates and the wind was literally roaring when i stuck my head out the window. Bins and all sorts were crashing down the street. Alarms were going off left , right and centre too. Was actually frightening!

Which is why I think your reading of 48km/h is abit behind there paddy. :D

Havn't noticed much in my area yet. Farmer across the road cut down all his old tree's for Katia back in 2011, so there isn't much scope in terms of fallen tree's. My compost bin did find itself at the wrong side of my garden though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    pad199207 wrote: »
    that squall ploughed through here early this morning, with 70 +mm/hr rain rates and the wind was literally roaring when i stuck my head out the window. Bins and all sorts were crashing down the street. Alarms were going off left , right and centre too. Was actually frightening!

Which is why I think your reading of 48km/h is abit behind there paddy. :D

Havn't noticed much in my area yet. Farmer across the road cut down all his old tree's for Katia back in 2011, so there isn't much scope in terms of fallen tree's. My compost bin did find itself at the wrong side of my garden though. :pac:
    Has baffled me too icy , but I think winds were more wnw that time and so station was shadowed by house :)

Looks like the centre of the comma coming into the northwest can be seen just north of Belmullet atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

some really strong gusts again now almost as strong as last night and had a snow flurry about half an hour ago.

Wind increasing abit in the west

Belmullet W 35 Gust 59
    Mace Head 41 Gust 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy hail here and the wind has really picked up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

webradar2201201031630.png

This little squall line just took out a few wheelie bins on our street in Limerick.. a serious wind came up out of nowhere, as was calm enough beforehand, be careful if you've to drive through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Some aircraft & wind related insanity. Trying to land sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heavy sleet and very strong winds for last ten minutes here in Meath. One bolt of lightning too which wasn't expected at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

was outside repositioning the wind sensor (still not working :( ) when i noticed this!!!!

thank God the wind was blowing away from the house:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Oak tree landed on a bus in England, driver seriously injured but only two passengers on board and neither injured thankfully

article-2081141-0F540B3000000578-552_634x431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ch750536 wrote: »
    Some aircraft & wind related insanity. Trying to land sideways.

There was probably a few gasps and hearts in mouths on that flight! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wind just picked up ALOT again here now and rain pouring down... wait ... i rephrase that... Pouring SIDEWAYS! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bigus wrote: »

Last picture in this lot has a wind turbine exploding

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16094360

You wanted this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Really picked up here in N Dub.

Blowing a gale outside with some sideways rain accompanying it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Violent gusts here in west dublin with a shower of rain and hail. Tiles off the roof across the road.... it is now way worse than earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow ghost wrote: »
    There was probably a few gasps and hearts in mouths on that flight! :eek:

i can imagine.

btw, any one want to bet that squall line will vanish before it reaches cork city :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite stormy here now with that squall. Sheets of sleety rain.

Quite gusy out there in a haily squall

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭smilgy

Would it be advisable not to drive down the N4 and M4 towards Dublin today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Anyone who is knowledgable about such things as chart reading and those metar things for the airport know is Dublin airport ok for the morning? Hit a lot of turbulence going to Portugal with Ryanair and not that fond of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hmm wonder if that squall line will make it as far as wexford before dissipating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Winds picking up here on dublin southside, no sidewards rain yet but i'm waiting patiently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure if you are aware but those pictures are from December 8th.

oops :eek: sorry ... still good pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Check out the video of a wheelie bin taking itself for a drive in Glasgow:

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement