Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

There was one worse there than this mornings shennanigans tought my tree and aerials were done for one of my antennas has a 30 degree bend on it now :(

But I still love you mother nature you keep me entertained like no tv show can:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

snow ghost wrote: »
    Check out the video of a wheelie bin taking itself for a drive in Glasgow:

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531
    Not so much driving as going down skid row

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is there a Greenland express heading down form Greenland towards us at the moment? Check out sat24.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

see that. maybe bring some snow :D

looks like the squall line is gonna reach cork after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

snow ghost wrote: »
    Check out the video of a wheelie bin taking itself for a drive in Glasgow:

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2012/Jan/Week1/16141511.jpg

Spot the......??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

was awake through all the storm last nite , defo by far the worst wind and rain ive heard in years.. maybe the worst ever even !! lots of flooding and trees down today..
    now hopefully a decent shot of cold will be next on the cards !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Anyone who is knowledgable about such things as chart reading and those metar things for the airport know is Dublin airport ok for the morning? Hit a lot of turbulence going to Portugal with Ryanair and not that fond of it...

I'm not claiming any great knowledge, but this report suggests gusts of up to 37Knots are expected between 6am and midday tomorrow. I find taking off is generally "less exciting" in bad weather than landing. I'd be more concerned about the conditions en-route tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I slept through any wind/rain here overnight (and it was 3 before I got to sleep)...but after some gustiness this morning, here in the north east/louth area the past hour or so has been much much windier than anything I noticed last night. Currently extremely strong wind and severe gusts in a dry looking sky. Wouldn't surprise me if we were getting 65-70mph gusts right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wertz wrote: »
    I slept through any wind/rain here overnight (and it was 3 before I got to sleep)...but after some gustiness this morning, here in the north east/louth area the past hour or so has been much much windier than anything I noticed last night. Currently extremely strong wind and severe gusts in a dry looking sky. Wouldn't surprise me if we were getting 65-70mph gusts right now.

There is a small circulation moving towards you.

DO NOT REPRODUCE

WEB_radar2_201201031730.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Serious wind picking up in Limerick city over the past 15 mins. I went out for a smoke and it nearly blew the clothes off me :D

There is a small circulation moving towards you.

DO NOT REPRODUCE

Ah come on, my kids wouldn't be that bad...

Just started sleety rain here since I posted...looks ominous on raintoday. Mini vortex.

well that's not surprising, squall line broke up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Siobhan Ryan on Radio1 before 6pm was giving the weather, she said a sting jet caused the top winds in Malin head, she explained what a sting jet was and how the wind recorded from it produced the 7th highest wind ever recorded in Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not been home long, was in Blanchardstown about 1700 as the squall line came through, and for those few minutes, it was NOT NICE. Made the mistake of going to the exit on the upper level to go back to the vehicle that was parked over near Maplins, and very rapidly changed my mind when I discovered it was raining inside the centre due to the strength of the wind blowing it in through the doors. Rapid about turn and down to the lower level so that at least I had some shelter from the building. Still waited for a few minutes, and then headed out. Up at road level, and it was prudent to wait in the shelter of the buildings while the lights changed. Crossing the road, that rain was stinging, and it's well possible that there was some hail in it, but it's hard to tell when it's horizontal.

At a guess, the gusts were in excess of 35 Kts, but I can't be sure, just basing it on previous experience of standing on windy airport aprons, where I could get accurate wind information after the event.

I'm now sitting in my family room at Ashbourne listening to the gusts howling around the chimneys and trees in the garden, and thinking that it's almost as strong as it was late yesterday evening, and certainly gusting well at the moment. Looking at the radar, we're on the front edge of a substiantial patch of rain that's screaming down from the North West at a pretty rapid rate.

Guessing winds are somewhere in the mid 20 Kts sustained, and gusting probably low 30's at the moment, and the outside temperatures are certainly dropping well.

I can certainly forget any ideas of doing anything to the external sensors this evening, it's way too windy and cold to even think about it.

There was some significant debns on the grid in the stream this morning, so that suggests that there was some significant rain overnight, which moved some of the debris that stranded last time the rain was heavy, but we're well used to that, and it's not a problem to deal with.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Wind doesn't scare me that much usually, but I'm apprehensive here about my roof slates and lights are flickering a bit, what was gusts an hour ago is now the sustained level and the gusts are howls... can honestly say I haven't heard it this bad in Dundalk since stephen's day '98 storm.
    Rain/sleet mix is almost horizontal and is swirling like hell. Is this circulation an eddy of the main depression? If there was snow in this it would be full on blizzard.

[edit] Backing off a bit again. Must be the strongest at the leading edge of the circualtion...don;t know if Dubs will see this, looks like it's heading for Holyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    looks like the squall line is gonna reach cork after all

Erm, sorry!

187064.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sounds like the northwest got a real blast last night. I heard there's thousands still without power up there.

Fair play to MT for calling this one pretty much spot on, it turned out stronger than I was expecting (though weaker down here).

What were the top gust reports last night? I had to hit the sack, couldn't stay awake for an allnighter!

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    Erm, sorry!

187064.jpg

:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Sounds like the northwest got a real blast last night. I heard there's thousands still without power up there.

Fair play to MT for calling this one pretty much spot on, it turned out stronger than I was expecting (though weaker down here).

What were the top gust reports last night? I had to hit the sack, couldn't stay awake for an allnighter!

91kts at Malin Head, 68kts sustained which is a new record!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

RTE 6-1 coverage of the storm consequences, ESB representative has just stated that while tonight is not expected to be a problem, they are being warned of the possibility of another storm coming through Thursday.

Interesting that they are clearly getting information that ME are being somewhat more coy about at the moment.

Any thoughts from our more experienced posters?

I've also just looked at the 1800 IR of the N Atlantic, and that "little swirl" certainly ramped up some, and it came a lot further south than I thought it was going to, that rain coming through here is spinning off the swirl of it. Interesting indeed. The half disc as they call it is a waste of time, I shall have to go look for a better Atlantic area IR chart to see if it's possible to see what's coming down the line for Thursday.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

gbee wrote: »
    Erm, sorry!

187064.jpg

We all don't live in the south where's the rest of that map lol

Harps wrote: »
    91kts at Malin Head, 68kts sustained which is a new record!

Thats exactly what MT predicted.

0299_hmx6.gif

Re: thursday...BBC news forecast just now reckoned thursday to be best day of the week for Ireland (I'm looking for dry sunny, low wind day to get some work done so have been paying attention)...nothing about potentailo storm mentioned there and they don;t tend to be coy at the met office.
    RTE forecast may be different.

Worst of the mini storm seems to have backed off here now...I'd say anyone in Balbriggan now is getting what I got 30 min ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

davidsr20 wrote: »

187067.jpg;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

A real strong jet stream moving over the country in the next few days.

Is going to pick up again tomorrow afternoon and evening, in a strong gale force WNW wind. Winds won't be as extreme in as we have seen in the northwest. But i actually anticipate the gale may be felt more widespread across the country with sustained 30-40KT gusting 50-60KT quite widely.

JetStream

Rtavn3014.png

925hpa Winds (Tomorrow Evening)

Rtavn3013.png
    RTE 6-1 coverage of the storm consequences, ESB representative has just stated that while tonight is not expected to be a problem, they are being warned of the possibility of another storm coming through Thursday.

Interesting that they are clearly getting information that ME are being somewhat more coy about at the moment.

Any thoughts from our more experienced posters?

I've also just looked at the 1800 IR of the N Atlantic, and that "little swirl" certainly ramped up some, and it came a lot further south than I thought it was going to, that rain coming through here is spinning off the swirl of it. Interesting indeed. The half disc as they call it is a waste of time, I shall have to go look for a better Atlantic area IR chart to see if it's possible to see what's coming down the line for Thursday.
    Weathercheck posted this earlier Irish Steve,maybe this is what is being mooted for Wednesday/Thursday

davidsr20 wrote: »

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what MT predicted.

Aye he also mentioned 26/12/98...a date I heard mentioned on two different UK radio stations this morning when referring to level of event.
    Very good call in what was a bit of a nowcast for some of the official met people this side of the atlantic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement