Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

The recorded gust at Belmullet at 3am was 133km/hr I wonder will the 4am be higher?

Stay safe folks
    I would hate to be at Ballyglass lighthouse now!!

Seriously though I hope everyone stays safe. Its really bad out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 56kts recorded at Waterford Airport at 03.35

EIWF 030335Z AUTO 24034G56KT 200V280 4900 DZ BKN006 11/10 Q0989=

Max Gust 60km/h at my Station which is 11km inland from Waterford Airport.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pressure at this very moment has just started to rise rapidly here. Strong gusts becoming a little less frequent but no less strong. WSW 28 kt - gust 53kt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭bassy

first bit of wind and we are on here talking about candles,batterys in torch,laptops fully charged etc
    is it a excuse to be up late lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Is it over, quiet here now for the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭bassy

rhonin wrote: »
    I would hate to be at Ballyglass lighthouse now!!

Seriously though I hope everyone stays safe. Its really bad out there.

or blacksod lighthouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Finally just after picking up the last 10 mins or so still not that bad though ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Windy in NE Donegal, maybe 50-60mph gusts, but nothing major yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is it over, quiet here now for the last hour.

The rain is still falling at a slightly oblique angle here. I was out near you a coupla hours ago, wish I'd stayed because this is a truly momentous storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's wild all the way down here in wexford, Although i'm up a good bit height wise from the town and close to the coast. But hate to think what it's like up in the NW.

Easily the strongest winds we've had this winter and the strongest i can remember for a while.

Heading to bed now, Night all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Back of my house is facing SW..... The sliding door is creaking like mad and is wobbly when I put my hands on it even though we are about 30km from Galway Bay. Must be mental in around the coast:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I am not sure will anyone find this useful but I compiled a windspeed conversion chart just for personal use a while back but if it is of any use to anyone else here it is. It shows windspeed in knots and corresponding speeds in mph, km/h and m/s as well as the Beaufort scale. (its big, sorry)

187017.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Winds moderating slightly but still gusting up to 51 mph, 10 min mean 28 mph, Bearing W

Temp 10.1C from a high of 12.0C 30 mins ago

Baro 983.58 hPa Falling Slowly

www.galwaycityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

wind starting to get louder here in Leitrim, think it stopped raining heavy tho

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kegg

come back frost!! all is forgiven!!
    some really scary gusts here!! the roofs creakin like a pirate ship at sea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Really strong gusts here now, impacting on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I know i said earlier that the barometer on my station seems a bit off but its reading 965.8mb just now... :eek: off or not that is still a fair drop since earlier this evening when it was reading 995mb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

amacachi wrote: »
    The rain is still falling at a slightly oblique angle here. I was out near you a coupla hours ago, wish I'd stayed because this is a truly momentous storm.
    I spoke too soon, really picking up now, just had a gust of 65km/h.

980.5hPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭jirafa

Converting Weather Units
    Easily convert common meteorological units of measurement.

Link ............. http://www.windandweather.com/magazine/weather_units_conversion.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nice chart DE...I'll be saving it if you don't mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

kegg wrote: »
    come back frost!! all is forgiven!!
    some really scary gusts here!! the roofs creakin like a pirate ship at sea!!

I can second that ... Scary stuff. At work in Castlebar - just gutted we've got a generator so no power cut's gonna happen here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

eskimocat wrote: »
    I know i said earlier that the barometer on my station seems a bit off but its reading 965.8mb just now... :eek: off or not that is still a fair drop since earlier this evening when it was reading 995mb!!

Similarly the pressure dropped from 1002.85 hPa at 16.17pm to 981.01 hPa at 3.10am here

www.galwaycityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Been quite windy in Dundalk for last two hours. But really suddenly picked up 15mins ago. Can hear strong gusts and shrill winds. Plus the neighbours mop and bucket flying about.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I spoke too soon, really picking up now, just had a gust of 65km/h.

980.5hPa.

Time to put the proper lock that no-one usually uses on the gate I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Just heard from brother in north sligo that winds have risen dramatically in last while. Very severe gusts. Still gusty in west dublin... are we going to see an increase in winds on east coast at all or is this storm purely for the northwest??

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

mad gusts now, can hear the woosh through the forest beside me before it hits the house , a bit unnerving:eek:, I recon i'll need the chainsaw tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Back door nearly blew in just now, massive gust that made a big bang, gave me a proper fright :eek:

Electricity gone along the Donegal coast as well judging by what I can see from my window, Gweedore area seems to be in darkness, still hanging on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Got this from a friend for you all,enjoy!!
    North Atlantic GFS 27km http://www.belgingur.is/opna/en/1/gfs/at/27/vindur/
    (use slider bar to adjust time line)/tmp/Belgingur veðurspá | Weathercharts | GFS | North-Atlantic | 27 km.jpg

Dublin GFS 1km(Go to region click on drop down select Dublin 1km to view) http://www.belgingur.is/vedurkort/

(Sorry about the lack of scales on 3 maps below only created tonight for us, that one is still down the road:) However, the dark-blue color on the wind maps are 45-50 knots. You can see the color scale on our N-Atlantic maps,use slider bar in green to change time line and switch to wind to see wind etc)

SW-Donegal, 2nd-3rd of January 2012
    Period
    02/01/2012 10 p.m.
    03/01/2012 6 p.m.
    Type
    20h Standard
    https://www-test.sarweather.com/forecast/result/20120102-211442-f3cf:32b3ea35c777/

Malin Head, 3rd of Jan 2012
    Period
    02/01/2012 10 p.m.
    03/01/2012 6 p.m.
    Type
    20h Standard
    https://www-test.sarweather.com/forecast/result/20120102-232817-d605:52cb417c20f1/

Donegal Airport, 2nd and 3rd of January, 2012
    Period
    02/01/2012 10 p.m.
    03/01/2012 6 p.m.
    Type
    20h Standard
    https://www-test.sarweather.com/forecast/result/20120102-232111-d906:8aecbf94e7f8/

Actually does sound very gusty out there. Judging from the sound and previous readings elsewhere I'd say we're touching on 45 knots for a 1 minute average here in Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Set my alarm for this to get up and read all the reports as I'm back in work today at 8am :(

Had only been up when the electric went out, literally went down for a few seconds (enough to turn the computer off) and back up again.

Can hear the wind roaring like hell outside, can't give you no readings though as no weather station :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement