Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Max wind from my sheltered position is 63 kmh @00:30
    Rain about 9mm
    Low Pressure 988.1 hPA @ 04:22

Never lost power. Slept all night
    No serious damage reported, just a few isolated trees down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Heavy hail and winds again in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

What a night ! thankfully no damage around here from what i can see from the window.. it will be interesting to see what the over all gusts stack up to once this baby is gone.

Had some hail a short while ago. Hope ye all escaped intact last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm still going to call this "The Dublin Storm" because that was the thread titile for most of its life so far, Ulli is a crap name for a storm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Light snow now in Letterkenny. Lough Swillys disappeared. I've to drive back down to Dublin later. Crappo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 venturer

Hope everyone came through the night safely. It was a wild night on the West Cork coast, but no serious damage thankfully. Pressure is rising gradually after a rapid drop around midnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Mick where do you get the waterford airport information?

You can find the four Latest METAR for Waterford Airport here http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=100083 But they don't hold an archive so you have to catch them within a certain time frame. The 56KT gust was recorded at 03.35

EIWF 030335Z AUTO 24034G56KT 200V280 4900 DZ BKN006 11/10 Q0989=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'm still going to call this "The Dublin Storm" because that was the thread titile for most of its life so far

Seeing as it missed Dublin that's appropriate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You can find the four Latest METAR for Waterford Airport here http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=100083 But they don't hold an archive so you have to catch them within a certain time frame. The 56KT gust was recorded at 03.35

EIWF 030335Z AUTO 24034G56KT 200V280 4900 DZ BKN006 11/10 Q0989=

Sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

That was a wild night, the worst for a long time IMO. Some violent gusts just before 4am. Electric went off for two hours 04:20 - 06:40 but is back again. No damage here in SE Co. Sligo. Hope you're all OK. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not going to be a national event by any stretch of the imagination, just been looking at the ME reports, the 1200 North Atlantic IR is showing a much more defined swirl around a second centre than was implied by the 0600 Atlantic chart, and the latest 3 Hr is showing a small patch of wind in the 50 Kts area on it's southern edge. If it goes due East, not too much, if it gets pushed further south by the effects of last night's remnants, which are still blowing well here, then it could catch Donegal and the North, and push the winds up again for a while.

The Met Buoy reports will be significant in giving an idea of if this second centre is deepening or not, at the momemt, it's nothing like as deep as last night's, but then again, it wasn't so defined on the 0600 forecast, so we're very much into nowcast territory.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'm still going to call this "The Dublin Storm" because that was the thread titile for most of its life so far, Ulli is a crap name for a storm. :D

Why would u call it the dublin storm if the west got most hit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Central Scotland is getting hammered. This was the wind speed on the Forth Road Bridge this morning:

AiObwF2CEAAsiQQ.png:large

They closed the bridge, of course - didn't want cars flying off in to the Firth. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

davidsr20 wrote: »

That's just how SB rolls, some people find it irritating, I however like his "edge"...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The storm has killed a man in Wales after a tree fell on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 knewbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

knewbie wrote: »

Funny thing is there has been a navigation warning for a buoy on the Irish Coast Guard Radio a buoy out of position, location unknown ~ I guess it's been found!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like second small area of circulation heading SE towards the Donegal coast now. http://www.sat24.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

A great shot of the storm, as seen by NASA's MODIS satellite at midday today.

You can also see that rain bearing front casting a shadow over the North Sea
    187046.jpg

By the way, I am not sure if this has been posted yet. I can't see it in this thread. Forgive me if this is a repost. From Met.ie

Provisional 10-minute Windspeed Record for Malin Head

At approximately 5.40 this morning, Jan 3, 2012, our station in Malin head recorded a 10-minute mean windspeed of 68 kts (78 mph, 126 km/hr, 35 m/s), making it a Beaufort Scale 12, hurricane force, wind. This exceeds the previous record for Malin Head of 67 kts, recorded 26 Dec, 1998.

The national 10-minute mean wind speed record of 71kts was recorded at Foynes, Co. Limerick on 18th January 1945.

The station also recorded a gust of 91 kts around the same time, however this does not exceed the Malin Head record of 98 kts, recorded in September 16, 1961.

It must be stressed that these are provisional data.
    wind_chart.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All hell has broken lose here again, very heavy sleet, it is strange to look at, the winds and gusts appear to be going in two different direction, on one side of field gusts coming from the left and on the other it came from the right. I was just getting some sleep from last nights all nighter and got woken by an all mighty bang of thunder, I must be right under it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

davidsr20 wrote: »

Casement had a Max gust of 62 last night, second highest gust in Ireland on the 6am report. Besides the major differences from Donegal, Max gusts were not too dissimilar from west to east, granted it was the squall, and I've only seen a handful of wind speeds from the west on here such as DE recording 53kts, another galway poster
    , sligo airport and Knock. No major differences, from what I know.

In terms of Max gusts, an almost Countrywide event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pangea wrote: »
    All hell has broken lose here again, very heavy sleet, it is strange to look at, the winds and gusts appear to be going in two different direction, on one side of field gusts coming from the left and on the other it came from the right. I was just getting some sleep from last nights all nighter and got woken by an all mighty bang of thunder, I must be right under it!

Looks good up there, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Temps starting to drop now, approx .2 degrees every 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pics from @NEWSLINEWEATHER account. Worth a follow if you are on Twitter.

Kilcorig rd, Lisburn. Picture from Anna Haslett via Twitter
    488204199.jpg
    Ballintoy Harbour. Pic by Cathy Clark, from Ballycastle via Twitter
    488177563.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still alive up here on the NW coast! Turns out I was actually safer here than if I'd been in Letterkenny, neighbour called to say a 30 foot tree in the back garden blew over narrowly avoiding crashing through the roof of the house. Some minor damage to the house and a fence and gate destroyed but nothing too major luckily.

Worst night here in quite a few years though, not quite the 98 storm but probably the worst since then. I'm only out of bed 2 hours after the all nighter last night so not had a chance to survey the damage locally yet. Electricity back though so fair play to the ESB for working through the storm in darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Siobhan Ryan of Met Eireann was on mid west radio saying that a 'mini' low will continue to keep things windy today???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

During the squall last night, both Casement and Dublin airport gusted to Storm force 11 territory(62&58 kts). It's no Malin head, but very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    During the squall last night, both Casement and Dublin airport gusted to Storm force 11 territory(62&58 kts). It's no Malin head, but very impressive.

that squall ploughed through here early this morning, with 70 +mm/hr rain rates and the wind was literally roaring when i stuck my head out the window. Bins and all sorts were crashing down the street. Alarms were going off left , right and centre too. Was actually frightening!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement