Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

"Leaked specs" of a lumia 910

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Nokia-Lumia-910_id6874

basically the same as the 900 except without LTE and with a 12MP camera (instead of 8).

Something like this would be really nice as it would improve upon 2 of the main criticisms of the 800: small screen, and no front-facing camera (910 "spec" shows it would have a 4.3" screen and 1MP ff camera). Now if they put in a micro-sd slot and a better battery I think they'd be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

gvzAxle wrote: »
    The display handset I saw was the black model, there was also 2 others with cyan and magenta cases. These were definitely cases and not coloured polycarbonate. The guy there said that the only model they were getting in at the moment was the black one, with optional coloured cases.

That is just ridiculous! If they are the official Nokia covers I can't see the sense in that! Considering every unboxing shows a cover the same colour as the device coming in the package, doing this is surely more work, and seems pretty pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

TBi wrote: »
    The Lumia 800 and N9 have (more or less) the same size screen.

Wait for the Lumia 900 to hit ireland, that has a 4"+ screen. I have a 3.8" trophy and had a 3.5" iPhone. After a while the keyboard becomes very easy. You just have to learn to "trust" it.

I really dont think were gonna get the 900. As Nokia stated the 900 is an exclusive to AT&T.

I think if we end up getting one it will be slighly different. But then again its silly way to go cause there will be too many models around. To much confusion.

I know its not a massive difference but i have big fingers :) 3.7" screen isn't perfect for watching movies or playing games either (which i do a lot)

basically the same as the 900 except without LTE and with a 12MP camera (instead of 8).

Something like this would be really nice as it would improve upon 2 of the main criticisms of the 800: small screen, and no front-facing camera (910 "spec" shows it would have a 4.3" screen and 1MP ff camera). Now if they put in a micro-sd slot and a better battery I think they'd be onto a winner.

I dont really ever see a 1MP camera. Its either VGA or 1.3MP. MicroSD isnt going to happen. But id love if Nokia adopted the Razor Maxx design and added a 3300mah battery into one of their phones. I think the word 2 days of battery life on hardcore use would lure a lot of folks including me.

Your phone is only as good as your battery life. So its important that they bring this to the market. I mean Razor Maxx doesnt a huge amount of thickness. So if Nokia can do this with their phones they would get a ++++ from me

I think a lot of existing hardcore smartphone users would love having to charge their phone every two days or even every night using it to the max with wifi,bt,gps full brightness on all the time.

Amoled screens sparkle when their up at full brightness but you cant leave it on for long cause it will drain the battery (or SG SII case it will overheat lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

If anyone's interested here's my Lumia 800 review!

http://www.techtv101.com/mobile_nokia-lumia-800-review

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Undead wrote: »
    If anyone's interested here's my Lumia 800 review!

http://www.techtv101.com/mobile_nokia-lumia-800-review

Nice review :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nialldinho

http://www.handyschotte.com/handy/nokia/lumia-800-black-schwarz-t-mobile.htm?caid=7
    Use google page translator or chrome to translate the page. 365 coming from germany for a sim free one :)

has anyone used this site before? do they ship to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Megapixel-Windows/dp/B006M3M76O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328138334&sr=8-4 Think I'll just get this one. But are they automatically simfree? It says nothing one way or the other- and I've never bought a phone online so I'm clueless.

Mmm cyan lumia :) I think the default colour for the Lumia 800 should be Cyan :)

http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Megapixel-Windows/dp/B006M3M76O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328138334&sr=8-4 Think I'll just get this one. But are they automatically simfree? It says nothing one way or the other- and I've never bought a phone online so I'm clueless.

Coming from Germany it would be sim free but it could be branded to T-Mobile or Vodafone but it doesn't say it is.

If it is branded the only difference would be the mobile carriers logo would appear briefly after the Nokia logo on boot up and there may be some carrier apps pre installed which you can uninstall. The phone itself would not have any branding on it.

It is possible to flash an unbranded firmware on to remove the branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thanks for the review, it actually helped me decide not to buy a Lumia 800. I had a Zune HD when they launched and I lived the right side of the pond so could use Zune Pass.

It was a major selling point of the Zune yet to not have it available in Ireland when you're trying to flog a new phone with Zune being a massive feature is just absolutely ridiculous. Same with the XBOX features on the OS, I bet a lot of it will be redundant in Ireland.

I want to ditch my iPhone but Windows Phone is just not mature enough yet. For me the Lumia 800 has bags of potential. A lot of it though will not be seen in Ireland for the foreseeable. Why buy in to a half-arsed platform?

My contract expires today, I think I'm going sim-only until something better comes along.

Thanks again for the review though, it genuinely helped me out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Pyongyang wrote: »
    It was a major selling point of the Zune yet to not have it available in Ireland when you're trying to flog a new phone with Zune being a massive feature is just absolutely ridiculous. Same with the XBOX features on the OS, I bet a lot of it will be redundant in Ireland.

I want to ditch my iPhone but Windows Phone is just not mature enough yet. For me the Lumia 800 has bags of potential. A lot of it though will not be seen in Ireland for the foreseeable. Why buy in to a half-arsed platform?

I probably wouldn't even pay for Zune if it was available. I have all the songs i want at home, if i want to listen to songs i don't want i'll listen to the radio for free.

I don't see whats missing from XBOX. It seems fully functional to me.

I know you have different 'needs' but i don't see WP7 as being half-arsed. It's a fantastic OS and if you used it for a few days (rather than blindly saying it's not good) then you'd understand. I love iPhone hardware but i enjoy the WP7 os more than iOS.

I probably wouldn't even pay for Zune if it was available. I have all the songs i want at home, if i want to listen to songs i don't want i'll listen to the radio for free.

I don't see whats missing from XBOX. It seems fully functional to me.

I know you have different 'needs' but i don't see WP7 as being half-arsed. It's a fantastic OS and if you used it for a few days (rather than blindly saying it's not good) then you'd understand. I love iPhone hardware but i enjoy the WP7 os more than iOS.

I never said Windows Phone 7 was a not good. I think it's a great OS. Maybe the point I was making was confused somewhere down the line. What I meant was if Microsoft want this platform to succeed then surely all the ducks should be in a row before launch?

The Zune Pass may be no good to you personally, but it's valuable to me (and possibly a lot of other folk). The XBOX integration I only guestimated would be redundant for use in Ireland going on the Zune Pass issue.

Anyway, as a former Zune HD owner, I wasn't overly keen on the interface for the device anyway. It was interesting at first, but navigation quickly became a chore. When I got my hands on the 800 yesterday to try it out, I felt the same problems with navigating the tiles.

I'm sure it'll get better in time but for me personally, it's just not there yet and I'm happy to wait it out and see how the platform develops over the year ahead. For now I'll probably pick up an Android phone tomorrow or keep my iPhone 4 and go SIM-only for a few months.

Anyway, as a former Zune HD owner, I wasn't overly keen on the interface for the device anyway. It was interesting at first, but navigation quickly became a chore. When I got my hands on the 800 yesterday to try it out, I felt the same problems with navigating the tiles.

I actually got to try out a Lumia 800 today. Ridiculously impressive phone.

Both of these posts where made today by you. :confused:

What are you going to use in place of Zune on the iPhone or Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Whats the story with the apps being way overpriced compared with iOS and Android?

Angrybirds
    Android - €0.00c
    iOS - €0.99c
    WM7 - €2.99!

It's the same with a large collection of apps across the store.
    If they're going to compete with the other two OS marketplaces, they need parity with app costs.

AntiVirus wrote: »

It is an impressive phone. No mistake. It just doesn't appear to have hit the ground running because not all the elements are in place at launch. Will they be in the future?

I haven't used Zune Pass since I moved to Ireland so that last comment is entirely unnecessary.

Thanks for picking my posts apart though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

From my understanding the Lumia 800 has Nokia Music which works with Zune Music Pass

A-Trak wrote: »
    Whats the story with the apps being way overpriced compared with iOS and Android?

Angrybirds
    Android - €0.00c
    iOS - €0.99c
    WM7 - €2.99!

If they're going to compete with the other two OS marketplaces, they need parity with app costs.

Actually that is something that is an annoyance. A lot of the games are a lot more expensive compared to iPhone. I don't play enough games for it to affect me though.

Although the Lumia is 200 euro cheaper than the iPhone 4S, so you can buy a lot of games for the price difference...

The android price is a bit wrong because it is ad supported, the iPhone and WP7 ones are ad-less.
    simi956 wrote: »
    From my understanding the Lumia 800 has Nokia Music which works with Zune Music Pass

Free too.

A-Trak wrote: »

Angrybirds
    Android - €0.00c
    iOS - €0.99c
    WM7 - €2.99!

That's only the case with a couple of very popular games.The rest are pretty much the same price.

I can justify the extra price difference with Xbox live integration. Games are hell of alot more fun when you got your friends to compete against and gain achievements. In one way you get more out of the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Just because he said it was impressive doesnt mean he doesnt have to question some of the aspects of the OS. Sometimes you have come across as very defensive on this thread. I mean I havent seen any irish android user defending google for thier insistence on US specific apps at launch. Think he was a little miffed the Zune pass thing was not available in Ireland etc

Anyways, my missus is due an upgrade and im really selling her the Lumia, but the vodafone tariff is just awful. Anyone got an Idea when its going to be available on other networks esp Meteor/emobile/3

Buy it sim free and get a lower tariff. You pay for the phone over the life of the contract anyway so it's never 'free'.

Or else go PAYG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Buy it sim free and get a lower tariff. You pay for the phone over the life of the contract anyway so it's never 'free'.

Or else go PAYG.

Saw it was 449 with vodafone..but it could be locked and their prepay offers are even worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

vicM wrote: »
    Just because he said it was impressive doesnt mean he doesnt have to question some of the aspects of the OS. Sometimes you have come across as very defensive on this thread. I mean I havent seen any irish android user defending google for thier insistence on US specific apps at launch. Think he was a little miffed the Zune pass thing was not available in Ireland etc

Anyways, my missus is due an upgrade and im really selling her the Lumia, but the vodafone tariff is just awful. Anyone got an Idea when its going to be available on other networks esp Meteor/emobile/3

It's exclusive on Vodafone for 1 month. Other networks will have it on 1st March (O2 and Meteor confirmed, not sure about Three)

Coming from Germany it would be sim free but it could be branded to T-Mobile or Vodafone but it doesn't say it is.

If it is branded the only difference would be the mobile carriers logo would appear briefly after the Nokia logo on boot up and there may be some carrier apps pre installed which you can uninstall. The phone itself would not have any branding on it.

It is possible to flash an unbranded firmware on to remove the branding.

Thanks very much:) I don't mind if it has branding. Now I just need an o2 micro-sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Thanks very much:) I don't mind if it has branding. Now I just need an o2 micro-sim.

Just get a scissors and cut your sim down to size. Worked perfectly for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

That was a fake post.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

GUIGuy wrote: »
    That guardian blog is hilariously unprofessional. Matthew Baxter-Reynolds lets himself down very badly. It took him several days to realise that to play all music by an artist you press the play button beside the artists name? He talks about trust... how can I trust a blog from a guy who says it is counter intuitive to launch Internet Explorer by pressing the IE tile.

"Clicking an IE logo seems deeply counterintuitive. For people like me, the IE brand is not helping. It's also welded into Bing, which might be fine but remember this is about trust. I trust Google, I don't trust Bing. So I deleted the IE tile from the home screen and put a shortcut to Google there instead."

OK if you think that Google 'IS' the web then that's you're world view, but there's nothing counterintuitive about launching an app from its tile rather than a shortcut to a site. If you don't like Bing that's fine use Google search app! But your mental model is confused if you think it's counterintuitive to launch IE by clicking on the IE logo!

Similarly he's not a very objective when he compares the inbuilt clock on the iPhone with a 3rd party clock on Windows Phone. The inbuilt clock on WP7 does not suspend when closed. 3rd party apps on the iPhone and Windows Phone both suspended in the first generation of the OS.
    3rd party apps 'can' run in the background in Mango if the dev designs them to. If he bought an older iPhone app that suspended in the background would he blame the OS or the 3rd party dev for not releasing a new version, or himself for not realising the difference between an app and an OS?

Oh man that Guardian blog is so full of crap. I would not take anything that they post seriously or go there for technology reviews.

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Just get a scissors and cut your sim down to size. Worked perfectly for me!

Ah I wouldn't trust myself..especially since the sim is so old it says esat digifone on it...

Just because he said it was impressive doesnt mean he doesnt have to question some of the aspects of the OS.

He said it was "Ridiculously impressive" last night then woke up this morning saying he found navigation quickly became a chore like on the Zune. If he had been playing with the phone all night then woke up and posted that, it would have made sense, but he hadn't.

He should buy the phone he likes best, I'd always tell someone to try out other phones first.
    Sometimes you have come across as very defensive on this thread.

Defensive? only if someone has come on to post garbage who doesn't post in this thread.

If you look at my posts I've never told someone to buy a Windows phone over an iPhone or an Android. Only with the LG Optimus but you just have to compare it to their other options that they were thinking of. Most of my posts are to help people with their phone.

It's very hard to read the tone of a post so I wouldn't read to much into that.
    I mean I havent seen any irish android user defending google for thier insistence on US specific apps at launch.

I haven't seen any Windows Phone user do this either.

I got a blank 3 micro sim from the 3 shop in liffey valley, came back to the office and rang them to transfer to the new micro sim. It was working about 1 hour later. I'm sure O2 will do the same thing.

In fact if I had my drivers licence with me they would have done it then and there in the shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Nice review :)

Thanks! :)
    Thanks for the review, it actually helped me decide not to buy a Lumia 800. I had a Zune HD when they launched and I lived the right side of the pond so could use Zune Pass.

My contract expires today, I think I'm going sim-only until something better comes along.

Thanks again for the review though, it genuinely helped me out. :)

You're welcome, glad I could help - one way or the other!

I agree with you on the Zune aspect, as I said it's really annoying that I have to buy music on iTunes and then move it to Zune.
    Other than that though - I've been using WP7 since January 2011, am on my 4th device (Omnia 7-Radar-Titan-Lumia) and I can confidently say that I'll never move to a different OS.*

*Providing Microsoft don't do something drastic down the line and ruin it :P

Advertisement