Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I mean for free...nada. No money out, no new contract. Just a new handset. She works in MS and there are a select few getting the handsets

Can you check the audio quality on it? I was thinking of buying one but apparently the audio quality isn't great (if you have low resistance earphones). No bass and painful highs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

TBi wrote: »
    Can you check the audio quality on it? I was thinking of buying one but apparently the audio quality isn't great (if you have low resistance earphones). No bass and painful highs.

If I am allowed to touch it over the next week I will :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

vicM wrote: »
    what do you mean for nothing

I mean for free...nada. No money out, no new contract. Just a new handset. She works in MS and there are a select few getting the handsets
    Ah..i'm sure you'll get a lend

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nokia have sent Lumia's out to dev house's for free, been playing with a Lumia for a couple of weeks now, impressed with WP7 although not overwhelmingly, the device itself just doesn't feel right though and lacks any sense of style. Screen is great though but camera is a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

draffodx wrote: »
    Nokia have sent Lumia's out to dev house's for free, been playing with a Lumia for a couple of weeks now, impressed with WP7 although not overwhelmingly, the device itself just doesn't feel right though and lacks any sense of style. Screen is great though but camera is a bit of a let down.

I've been using the Nokia Lumia 800 for the past month and find its great. What exactly do you mean by "the device itself just doesn't feel right though and lacks any sense of style"? As for the style all the review have heap praise on the style and the OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

AntiVirus wrote: »

I've been using the Nokia Lumia 800 for the past month and find its great. What exactly do you mean by "the device itself just doesn't feel right though and lacks any sense of style"? As for the style all the review have heap praise on the style and the OS.

I don't think everyone will find it great, but from the reviews i've seen, looks stunning and this from a sgs2 user..
    I'm glad wp7 is doing well..love diversity and choice

vicM wrote: »
    I don't think everyone will find it great, but from the reviews i've seen, looks stunning and this from a sgs2 user..
    I'm glad wp7 is doing well..love diversity and choice

I totally agree, there's things it can't do that the Android and the iPhone can do but what it does do it does very well.

I can see why the OS gets praise, its smooth, sleek and runs incredibly well, for me the screen seems to sit weird on the device, it looks like it can pop out or something and the shape of the device isn't to my liking. Build quality is as ever with Nokia very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Personally, I can't wait to get one. I find the iPhone and Galaxy S range to be so boring and ugly - same design for the last few years, at least Nokia are trying something different. I am a .NET developer so that is a big reason I want to try Windows Phone as well.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Personally, I can't wait to get one. I find the iPhone and Galaxy S range to be so boring and ugly - same design for the last few years, at least Nokia are trying something different. I am a .NET developer so that is a big reason I want to try Windows Phone as well.

Hoping to get the development tools down myself at the weekend and start on the hello world stuff also, do you know of any good resources for WP7 development?

• Advertisement

I can see why the OS gets praise, its smooth, sleek and runs incredibly well, for me the screen seems to sit weird on the device, it looks like it can pop out or something and the shape of the device isn't to my liking. Build quality is as ever with Nokia very good though.

That's fair enough, some people will like it and some people will not and as said above and the Windows Phone OS also may not be to some peoples liking.

If you're looking for a good introduction to Windows Phone programming look here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Phone-7-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Hoping to get the development tools down myself at the weekend and start on the hello world stuff also, do you know of any good resources for WP7 development?

Not a clue, haven't even looked into it to be honest. I'm more of a web developer but I will look to getting into WP development.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

First port of call is the App Hub.
    The education centre has a decent collection of articles, tutorials and samples to get started with, and there's a good forum community there.

Not too sure what other good resources there are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

For any one developing a WP7 app id recommend looking at RadControls for Windows Phone.

This crowd telerik has made tools that are slick, fluid and just look great. I think theres an app on the marketplace basically showing all the functions and the code needed to implement it. Think its called telerik

The tools themselves cost but their def worth it. You can get a 60 day trial anyway

http://www.telerik.com/products/windows-phone.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Don't want to put people off buying the Lumia when its released here on the 1st of Feb but I suggest you take a look at the discussions board on Nokias website. You will see the amount of issues people are having.

The main problem with my Lumia is the battery, the most common problem with everyone who got the first roll outs of the Lumia. Using the Nokia Diagnostics app you can see how much battery your phone charges to. So Mine only went to around 980mAh since I got the phone over 3 weeks ago. The battery fix update was released last night to most Lumia users via Zune. Seems better today but the capacity has gone up to 1380mAh now after full charge instead of the promised 1500+

I have to say my experience so far with the Lumia has been disappointing. The lack of feedback from Nokia has also been frustrating, you will notice this in the discussions section above. Also other issues I have noticed: The handset getting very hot under heavy load (I will monitor this since battery update) and the camera could be better.. I don't know enough about picture quality but have noticed other Lumia users on nokia.com reporting the same.

Again don't wanna put anyone off as the Lumia is a beautiful phone but it has issues. I would suggest to check With network providers what version software is preloaded before buying one when they are released in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

You can't judge the battery improvements on one day, it will take a couple of full battery drains and full charges to have it up to it's full potential, just like every battery!

Also, if the camera was that bad you'd notice yourself and wouldn't be going on other peoples word!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

micko2009 the lumia is due another firmware update in 2 weeks after the initial drop, so there is a good chance VF & O2 will have both firmwares installed

micko2009 wrote: »
    Don't want to put people off buying the Lumia when its released here on the 1st of Feb but I suggest you take a look at the discussions board on Nokias website. You will see the amount of issues people are having.

My Omnia 7 or any other phone i owned tbh got hot while under pressure.

Especially games and web browsing. You should try putting the screen brightness up to Max on a sgs2 and play a game on it.

It would be like a hot brick and you would see a warning that screen brightness was turned down to prevent overheating.

Samsung or HTC aren't any better at responding. That's the issue with all tech companies. They won't say anything till they have it fixed or if they will fix it.

Hopefully they will all be ready to be fixed by the time they hit the stores.

Pick any phone and go to their support site and you will find people with a string of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Pick any phone and go to their support site and you will find people with a string of problems.

I'll wait again for future firmware updates I guess. Was just giving my personal experience with the Lumia. Maybe its my ignorance when it comes to beta testing a new phone but the Lumia does seem to have alot of initial bugs, maybe Nokia were under pressure to have it out before Christmas in some markets.

But in fairness If you rely on your phone for work aswell I found the battery issue annoying over the last few weeks, I don't have a spare microsim phone as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

I'll wait again for future firmware updates I guess. Was just giving my personal experience with the Lumia. Maybe its my ignorance when it comes to beta testing a new phone but the Lumia does seem to have alot of initial bugs, maybe Nokia were under pressure to have it out before Christmas in some markets.

But in fairness If you rely on your phone for work aswell I found the battery issue annoying over the last few weeks, I don't have a spare microsim phone as a backup.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to know about the cons as well as the pros, and it's especially useful to know what to enquire about before making a purchase. I'll definitely be asking about the firmware version and the battery issue before handing over my money. Fingers crossed Ireland gets a smoother launch as I really want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I ordered a Lumia from amazon.co.uk for my wife at the start of December and it shipped with the first major firmware update preinstalled. I think most battery and power issues exist fir the "first batch", but at least it seems amazon were shipping only second batch handsets. I would imagine the carrier branded handsets will be shipping at least second or third batch handsets. My wife has had no phone issues by the way, loves the new Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I ordered a Lumia from amazon.co.uk for my wife at the start of December and it shipped with the first major firmware update preinstalled. I think most battery and power issues exist fir the "first batch", but at least it seems amazon were shipping only second batch handsets. I would imagine the carrier branded handsets will be shipping at least second or third batch handsets. My wife has had no phone issues by the way, loves the new Nokia.

How is the audio out with headphones? Good quality?

TBi wrote: »
    How is the audio out with headphones? Good quality?

The headphones that come with the phone are ok for standard ones but they don't seem to sit in my ears that great when running or in the gym so I've splashed out and got myself a set of matching coloured Nokia Purity earphones.

I'll let you know how they compare once they arrive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

1st Feb on Vodafone
    1st March on O2

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Where did you read it was the 1st March for O2, as there is no quote from Nokia Ireland around O2 yet

simi956 wrote: »
    Where did you read it was the 1st March for O2, as there is no quote from Nokia Ireland around O2 yet

Windows Phone IE said it on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just saw that Argos in the UK were selling this unlocked for £120. There are some lucky ****ers over there today.

Just saw that Argos in the UK were selling this unlocked for £120. There are some lucky ****ers over there today.

Holy ****! That's some offer!! :eek:

I think it maybe an error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Turns out it wasn't an error. Great price, pity Argos IE don't sell phones too.

Advertisement