Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thats only a week ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

draffodx wrote: »
    Anyone got any sales figures for the Lumia, it looks like Nokia won't release the sales figures for the US, some saying because the sales have been so poor, I've read of 200'000 sales in Germany which sounds like a lot but some have commented that this too is a poor figure for Germany.

While I didn't expect huge uptake of the device dire sales figures would be a worry.

I wouldn't expect to here anything about sales figure's after only going on sale last week. Nokia have developed the Nokia Lumia 900 specifically for the US market. It's not being released till March 18th.

The article in the New York times article actually says "Nokia’s Windows Phones Get a Good Start in Europe". It's doing better than expected.

Whats more important will be how well they'll do with the release of the budget Nokia Windows Phones..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've had my Lumia 800 a few weeks now, and I'm still loving it. Screen still wows me. I never used to watch videos on my phone, but this thing is just so damn nice.
    fits wrote: »
    Some say 400,000 handsets have been sold since launch. Android sell that many in one day.

You're comparing software to hardware...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well I wouldnt go near Android figures as they have cheap phones and took a massive part of Nokia's feature phone market.

The figures were looking for is around 400'000 a day. Which isnt going to happen even this year. A couple of thousand a day in the best case.

People are usually slow to catch on to things. But Nokia has a huge power, when people come into the shop they ask for the new Nokia phone. Not a Windows Phone, they havent a clue what that is or what it means. Majority of people which is the mass market havent a clue what iOS is or Android or Windows Phone for that market. Out of three of those if you mention iOS, Android you will get silence, mention Windows and it will be associated to what you see on your PC. Hopefully once windows 8 comes out it will give it a massive boost as people would have tried Windows 8 on their laptop and their xbox and get used to using metro user interface, maybe then the word windows on a phone wont be so scary to say.

Dont forget there is a huge amount of potential left not only for Windows Phone 7 but for all operating systems. Dont forget that there are masses of people who will never go on a bill, they will stick with under 100, under 200 price bracket. If Nokia can penetrate that market with Tango, I think they will wipe Android of the mini smartphone market, as most of us know Android is quite a good OS on stereoid hardware, Its absolutely rubbish on low end hardware. The rest who go on bill still dont know of this and in Ireland its only on sale on vodafone, which wouldnt be the most popular network due to higher pricing then the rest of the networks. So makes sense that once it launches on O2 and Meteor there will be more. Its still only launching in some countries.

HTC, Samsung, LG they dont really matter. You never really hear people say too often i really want that HTC or that Samsung.

Most of the times its Apple or Nokia their looking for. Cause they trust Nokia and Apple brand.

I wouldnt even bother mentioning Windows Phone 7 when selling a handset. Just throws people of before even trying it.

It might be the most used piece of software out there, but because so many people use it, it has become sort of a meh thing to have

• Advertisement

Nokia said that the Lumia was selling better than they expected in Europe. A windows phone games developer ( Survival Craft ) analysed his game data (Feb 10, 2012) and you can see that the Lumia has done very well in Europe. The Nokia Lumia's hadn't gone on sale in the US at that time.

EUROPE
    europesessions.png

USA
    nasessions.png

It will be interesting to revist this in the Summer after Nokia have released the Lumia 900 and started there advertising campaign in the US which will start in March.

Nokia will be releasing their budget Windows Phone at the MWC in a few days and in the third week in March they will be launching their budget phone in China.

China's larget mobile network operator is China Mobile which is the largest mobile operator in the world, larger than all of the US mobile operators combined with over 589 million subscribers. China Mobile use's TD-SCDMA as their 3G network.

In August last year Nokia said that they would be releasing budget phones in China that support the TD-SCCMA network. The advantage to Nokia here is that their the biggest selling mobile brand in China but more importantly the iPhone doesn't support this and only a couple of Android phones do.

The budget market is what will make or break Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have decided to go back to my Nexus Galaxy and will probably be selling on my Lumia 800 - tis less than a week old at this stage. Anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

I have decided to go back to my Nexus Galaxy and will probably be selling on my Lumia 800 - tis less than a week old at this stage. Anyone interested?
    Sorry for asking, but why are you switching back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

+1 for that. I wish I had never bought the phone. I wonder will my wife give me back my N8?!

Anyone interested in two Lumia 800s? :D

Edit: I guess I should have read the reviews! * winks at TBi *

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Ronan H wrote: »
    Anyone interested in two Lumia 800s?

You can prob add my one to that aswell :rolleyes:

The 'Amazing everyday' my arse... All I'm looking for is some predictable battery life and id bet happy with that. Gave it another month and still no update after the update which was supposed to sort battery issues out. I reckon I'll send it back next week to Nokia, never had such hassle with a phone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Had my Lumia 800 just over a week and I absolutely love it. Got rid of my iPhone 4 and more than likely will stick with Windows Phone for the foreseeable.

Only thing that irks me immensely is the lack of tethering. But it's been promised in a future update so we'll see...

The gorgeous white Lumia 800 will be available on Meteor on the 1st of March (thursday)

O2 and Emobile will have the black versions on the 1st too :)

No one is getting the cyan version yet :(

I think thats the nicest one, black is rather boring looking :(

DjFlin wrote: »

You're comparing software to hardware...

I'm assuming that at least 90% of windows phone activations in the last few months have come from nokia lumias.

I'm assuming that at least 90% of windows phone activations in the last few months have come from nokia lumias.

So you're comparing Hardware to Software, AND making assumptions.

From what I've read, the HTC Titan sold well, as did whatever the new Samsung one is.

Does anyone else miss numbers? I'm sick of all this Lumia, Sensation, Omnia, Optimus, Legend, bull****.

It was so much easier when we all just had Nokia 3510is. :o

I love my WP7 as much as the next person, but lets not kid ourselves here. Not many of them have been sold. Looks to be about 1.5 million in total globally.

Its not a large amount.

I love my WP7 as much as the next person, but lets not kid ourselves here. Not many of them have been sold. Looks to be about 1.5 million in total globally.

Its not a large amount.

Do you want me to give you an explanation why?

Because 99% of people working in phone shops and mobile network managers have a clue what Windows Phone 7 is.

Because people dont know how to operate it, how to teach a customer how to use it and most of all how to position it. I know for a fact that 100% of my colleagues at work wouldnt. Walk into other shops and you will notice pretty much the same ratio cause guys arent really interested in what the consumer wants. Their interested in selling as much as possible of the stuff their already comfortable with.

Lets face it everyone said that Android could not catch up to iOS because iOS was superior approx 3 years ago when Androids market presence was as high as windows phone 7's right now. I still had an N97 back then. Couldnt care less about Android at that stage.

Look where its at now. Nokia's backing isnt going to just work on its own. As any other rising product it needs time to be acknowledged by the consumer, and thats not going to happen till people that deal with customers start doing their job.

The only other fast way to accelerate the market penetration is price point. Which is going to be tango's job.

I do expect Windows Phone 7 to catch up to iOS hopefully with in 2 years time.

But by two years time the mobile industry can change so much that there will be no more WP7, iOS or Android.

Who cant say that Windows Phone 8 will not merge into Windows when hardware allows that, same for iOS could merge with Mac OS well Android still might be there cause it has nowhere to move up :D

But, Apple and Microsoft are making their laptop, desktop operating systems behave more like mobile devices more and more. Who d hell knows whats going to happen.

Around 50% of sales of mobile phones in Ireland were feature phones or dumb phones, the other was smartphones. This thing is just starting :)

Lots or market to capture, maybe not most existing Android or iOS owners but new people to Smartphones as hardware will get cheaper and cheaper till it will replace the boggers phones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is the Vodafone version of the Lumia running stock firmware or is it a Vodafone variant?

chrislad wrote: »
    Is the Vodafone version of the Lumia running stock firmware or is it a Vodafone variant?

VF Varient. Though it seems easy enough to flash it with other versions if you want to.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »

Vodafone. Its mainly only a couple of apps that you can remove, but they dictate when they approve the next updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

metalfest wrote: »
    Sorry for asking, but why are you switching back?
    Ronan H wrote: »
    +1 for that. I wish I had never bought the phone. I wonder will my wife give me back my N8?!

Anyone interested in two Lumia 800s? :D

Edit: I guess I should have read the reviews! * winks at TBi *

:o

The main reason that I am switching back is the screen size. I am too used to the Nexus Galaxy and while I really liked the Lumia 800, the screen is just too small.

One thing I have noticed since switch back though is how much more fluid and how much better the keyboard is on the Lumia than virtually any phone I have had in recent years.

Do you want me to give you an explanation why?

I dont actually :D I'm pretty aware of the reasons. But I'm sure others are interested in it.

I love windows phone and would not consider another OS at the moment. Would like to see it doing well as it deserves to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭PaulieC

apparently there is an updadte for the Lumia that fixes the battery woes. It requires a reflashing of your phone so you will lose your groups from teh people hub and your text messages. Has anyone got it yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

apparently there is an updadte for the Lumia that fixes the battery woes. It requires a reflashing of your phone so you will lose your groups from teh people hub and your text messages. Has anyone got it yet ?

Who told you that sh1te??
    There is an update available alright, but it keeps everything just as it was before the update. Doesn't delete anything on you!

stevenf17 wrote: »
    There is an update available alright, but it keeps everything just as it was before the update. Doesn't delete anything on you!

I think he means as in flashing a completely new rom, as to doing an upgrade through Zune.

Ive no clue on this matter though.

Flashing a new ROM wipes everything, updating through Zune doesn't since Zune backs up stuff for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭PaulieC

stevenf17 wrote: »

Nice attitude, keep it up, it will get you places in life.

Who told me? My wife did. She has the phone through work and she got an email from IT to say that there was a new update that would require the phone to be flashed (through Zune). Now, obviously Zune will backup everything from your phone before applying the update and restore everything after you apply the update.

The only things Zune will not backup and restore are People groups and text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Nice attitude, keep it up, it will get you places in life.

Who told me? My wife did. She has the phone through work and she got an email from IT to say that there was a new update that would require the phone to be flashed (through Zune). Now, obviously Zune will backup everything from your phone before applying the update and restore everything after you apply the update.

The only things Zune will not backup and restore are People groups and text messages.

Alright alright.... sheesh calm down, just going on what I've experienced. :o

I got the Lumia 800 at the end of November and have updated it twice, both times it had to flash the phone and I never lost any text messages or anything.
    Don't see why your wifes phone should be any different!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hey folks got the Lumia 800 during the week and very impressed so far.

I was just wondering anyone who has the Lumia 800 on Vodafone have you had any problems with setting up Yahoo Mail on it ?

I have searched around on Google but I have had no joy so far.

Any help would be great....

Cheers,
    Jimbob

• Advertisement

Hey folks got the Lumia 800 during the week and very impressed so far.

I was just wondering anyone who has the Lumia 800 on Vodafone have you had any problems with setting up Yahoo Mail on it ?

I have searched around on Google but I have had no joy so far.

Any help would be great....

Cheers,
    Jimbob

Setting up Yahoo mail on the lumia is no different yo setting up yahoo mail on any Windows Phone.

What problems are you having? Have you setup any other email accounts?

Advertisement