Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It doesn't seem to be working or I'd order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Turns out it wasn't an error. Great price, pity Argos IE don't sell phones too.

Turns out it is an error. Even in the article you've linked to The Verge say it may be an error. Then a poster confirmers it is an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Turns out it is an error. Even in the article you've linked to The Verge say it may be an error. Then a poster confirmers it is an error.
    I posted before update 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just spotted this, so at least anyone getting it first with Vodafone should already have the update on their device or will get it straight away....

012112-lumia-white.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TBi wrote: »
    How is the audio out with headphones? Good quality?

Sorry only saw your question now.

Just tried out the Lumia 800 with my trusty Sony in-ear headphones and on initial listening the volume is good and the bass is ok. No hissing or drop outs or anything weird like that. Comparing side by side with my HD7 (same song obviously) I would have to say the HD7 has a slight edge in terms of bass - although I'm not running any HTC sound enhancements (never cared for it). If you enjoy your music bass-heavy, you might be disappointed with the lack of EQ-control on the Lumia. But from my point of view it's perfectly good.

If you're an audiophile then smartphone audo output may never be good enough ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

If you're an audiophile then smartphone audo output may never be good enough ;-)

I have been happy with the audio from my iPhone and HTC Trophy. I'm not that much of an audiophile but I heard that the lumia is bad in comparison. Besides the 16GB storage that would be the greatest deal breaker for me. Maybe when it is released in Ireland i'll be able to try out my headphones on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Due an upgrade in March and tempted by the 800 but I think I shall wait for the 900, unless it's a behemoth by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

chrislad wrote: »
    Due an upgrade in March and tempted by the 800 but I think I shall wait for the 900, unless it's a behemoth by comparison.

The lumia 900 is 4.3 inch therefore sgs2 territory. WP7 looks better on a bigger screen in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but the metro interface looks class on a 24" screen in the Win 8 preview I was running.

I don't know..I have the preview as well and cannot say I'm a huge fan of the win8 layout tbvh but then it might just be I've gotten used to windows the way it was, change may have shocked me..one thing I noticed though, ISO compatibility inbuilt! Nice one MS.

BTW will Ireland be getting the an other colour schemes besides the black for the 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Does anyone know how to lock the screen orientation?
    Can't find an option anywhere and it's driving me nuts.

A-Trak wrote: »

Not on WP7. Not sure why not. I miss it from iPhone.

Seriously?
    That's a serious omission. I had it on my previous two androids & iPhone before that.
    Without it, browsing whilst lying on the couch, bed a real pain.

Really hope it gets included in an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Seriously?
    That's a serious omission. I had it on my previous two androids & iPhone before that.
    Without it, browsing whilst lying on the couch, bed a real pain.

Really hope it gets included in an update.

Some 3rd party browsers have the option to lock the orientation. You could try them out :(

Some 3rd party browsers have the option to lock the orientation. You could try them out :(

Will do cheers.
    It's not just the browser, it's the all the sub menus in settings etc. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wow, didn't know this, major reason not to buy WP so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So much missing from WP7, that OS is nowhere near iOS or Android in features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

CyberGhost wrote: »

Android is full of malware, bugs, crashing, lagging, etc.. that you have to install a custom roms every week to fix it or buy an phone with a quad core chip to get it any where near running smoothly. Then in a week or 2 you'll need to install another rom to stop it from crashing or lagging.

WP7 may not have all the feature's that Android has but what it does do it does far better.

Move over to your Android forum and help other Android user's fix there crashing, lagging, slow, etc... Androids

CyberGhost wrote: »

Lol so not having a rotation button is one missing feature. Not many. Every single smartphone has pretty much the same feature set.

Considering the majority of the is is designed for portrait use its not needed that much. Most people don't even know you can turn rotation off.

Even on windows phone 7 user voice no one cares about rotation otherwise it would be on a highly requested list.

As above ill swap my sensation for any windows phone in a sec. Its much faster, elegant and most of all stable.

If your looking for an OS that can be customized to bits this isn't really for you unless you have a dev unlocked phone.

This is for simple average consumer that wants features without making the phone complicated. I'm sure it will eventually be included. Not a massive thing really.

Will do cheers.
    It's not just the browser, it's the all the sub menus in settings etc. Pain in the hole.

Maybe but it never goes past landscape (I.E. if the phone is upside down then it's still landscape) so it hasn't been an issue for me. I was really annoyed with my iPhone before it got the rotation lock because it would rotate all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Are apps for this phone available through the Nokia Store or through Windows Marketplace?

Ronan H wrote: »
    Are apps for this phone available through the Nokia Store or through Windows Markeplace?

Windows Marketplace. It says this in all the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Windows Marketplace. It says this in all the reviews.

OK fair enough, that information is available in the reviews, and I admit I haven't read a lot of them, but I do sometimes prefer a forum as a dynamic point of information because it stimulates discussion. A review is a static source, and generally doesn't interest me when choosing a product. Yes I could have found the information easily elsewhere but I enjoy the discussion that usually ensues when forum based mediums are used. Discussion is king. I have ordered one of these phones based on this discussion, not a review! That is why this is king.

I'm sure a lot of the information in this thread is available in reviews and elsewhere, but sometimes that's not the point. People want to come here because it is alive, and if people always went to reviews and elsewhere to find information then Boards wouldn't be quite as popular.

Thank you for answering my question nonetheless. I think.

Ronan H wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of the information in this thread is available in reviews and elsewhere, but sometimes that's not the point. People want to come here because it is alive, and if people always went to reviews and elsewhere to find information then Boards wouldn't be quite as popular.

I prefer forums to be filled with personal experiences of the items. It's a useful place to find information not usually found elsewhere. Maybe some comparisons, maybe how the item worked with other devices. A way to get information from people who live with the item.

I personally find it annoying to have to filter through a whole load of comments to find the one or two useful ones.

An example of this would be the audio quality of the Lumia, all the reviews say it is good but the forums talk about how bad it is. Forums can expand on this conversation and bring light to a topic that hadn't been covered. However this important piece of information can be lost in a sea of questions that don't need a forum to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Android is full of malware, bugs, crashing, lagging, etc.. that you have to install a custom roms every week to fix it or buy an phone with a quad core chip to get it any where near running smoothly. Then in a week or 2 you'll need to install another rom to stop it from crashing or lagging.

Mmmm. I've got a single core SE Arc S and it's pretty smooth and has no more bugs than my previous iphone.

I almost bought an LG WP7 from Amazon Germany (the one that was in bargain alerts) before Christmas. Would still like to give WP7 a whirl. Sat beside a really sound MS employee who worked on the phone team on a flight from the US last October. Really interesting guy and a really convincing advocate for the platform!

Has anyone used the 800 with a mac ( http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/windows-phone-7-connector/id415571499?mt=12 )

I find the Android integration with macs appalling. Double twist really doesn't work well at all.

quad_red wrote: »

WP7 is supposed to work well with a mac. Integrates with iTunes. I actually wish i could use iTunes with own Trophy sometimes :)

I have a mac but use it with my PC because that's where i store the majority of my music.

quad_red wrote: »

Has anyone used the 800 with a mac ( http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/windows-phone-7-connector/id415571499?mt=12 )

I find the Android integration with macs appalling. Double twist really doesn't work well at all.

Yeah double twist isn't the best thing ever. I use it with W7 and a Sensation. It works. But the PC app is slow. UI is quite hard to navigate too. Hard to find how to do stuff on it.

The connector works well from the people giving feedback here at least anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I never used an 800 with a Mac but I have used the Omnia 7. You downloaded the Windows Phone Connector from the Mac App Store and just create a playlist in iTunes and sync that. Fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers guys.

Definitely interested in taking a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

gvzAxle wrote: »

Brilliant, the windows phone facebook had this date a while ago but nice to hear it from o2.

A staff member in o2 said anything other than black is extremely unlikely, but also said Carphone Warehouse almost always go for colours so they're the better option. I might be weird but I just wouldn't buy a black phone. Also said plans will be cheaper than iphone plans- €300 worst case scenario, should be in and around €220 and that it will be €500ish as a prepay.

Advertisement