Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just working on my blog...

Options
  • 26-11-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it is against forum rules to promote a personal blog is it? If so, mods please delete this post. No probs here. :)

So I've been working like a beaver (fnarr fnarr) on getting my dedicated (non-commercial!) shooting game blog/vlog sorted. Content is now where I'm concentrating my time.

If you feel like you want to check it out, it's available at http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk and also my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/stuffiwrote

I've made some improvements to the reviews system over the past weeks, finally getting a good shortcode plugin installed and customizing it to work with my blog. Check it out on my Ibara review. :)

I'm working on video content too, I just finished creating an ident for tagging the opening of my videos. Here it is (best viewed in 720p), let me know what you think. Told you I was going to use my 3D Astro City drawing. :D

Anyways, I hope folk find some use out of the site. With the design and backend sorted I'm now working on content as often as I can so it'll fill up soon!

Even if folks hate it, I'm enjoying writing about shooting games so nerr! :p

Gracias. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thats cool, site looks great too, very polished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thanks Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale. :)

I actually got an email from Gawker media yesterday asking to link to my site for an article. No idea what article it will be but yer man said he'd let me know when it's edited.

Quite an acheivement I think considering I've only posted two articles so far! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well done again!
    A lot of us here would love to be games journos, or at least know out opinions were coherent enough to warrant outside interest.

Just don't forget us when you are famous and writing for Edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

good work lad.
    astro look lovely in vid.
    chrome coin slot...i likey.
    can you throw up a a few vids of vga converter in action.
    im interested to see how they look running on arcade monitor.
    no issues with quality/ lag?

Cheers lads. Talking of coin slots, I have a brand new one on the way to me as my current one is a bit manky so I figured a nice, new, official replacement part will make my cab a bit tidier. :)

As for the article. I haven't seen or heard anything yet, maybe they won't go with it. It'd be nice though and a real traffic booster. Means I need to pull my finger out and finish up some more content!

RE: Astro videos, I'm working on those, I'm planning on doing some videos on sticks though as I have a big project for the CP in the works. I'm no professional, I've no clue what I'm talking about. Hence the videos are geared for complete and utter newbies, like me, who haven't a breeze what their doing but want a helping hand to work out the simpler stuff on a cab. I.E. Replacing sticks and buttons, general maintenance, what cable does what, how to tate etc.

For the hardcore stuff there's folk out there who do it bigger, bolder, better and actually know what they are talking about. Best to leave it to them. :)

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot to add. The site is now fully mobile compatible with swipe response features. Meaning it'll auto-detect screen size and platform and has themes for both smartphones and tablets.

You can also swipe galleries and featured images on the home screen etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fair play man, looking good so far. Great to see that fantastic domain name being put to good use!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyway to follow this on blogger?

Cheers lads, there's still lots to do. Just trying to find the time!

I dunno if you can put it in a link roll on Blogger can you (if that's what you were thinking of doing)? Mine's a self-hosted WP theme/site. When I get a nicely structured links page sorted I'm going to add your blog on there Mr. 'tr0. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's just that I'm lazy but if I can follow it on blogger then I'll definitely be able to keep track of it. Not sure you can do that with self hosted sites.

• Advertisement

Gotcha. Hmm, I'm not sure. The site will have a Feedburner RSS stream very soon so it can be implemented that way at least. :)

I tried using RSS stream before and well, I haven't checked it ever :). Aw well, keep posting in the reviews thread so I can keep up if there's no way to follow.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried using RSS stream before and well, I haven't checked it ever :). Aw well, keep posting in the reviews thread so I can keep up if there's no way to follow.

Will do! FWIW I use Google Reader and keep all my RSS feeds there. Far better than trawling the web. :)

I'll give it a try.

RSS feeds should update now, I've just posted my review of DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou.

I'll add gameplay footage or pics or something tomorrow. :)

Here's the scoop:

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=165

Another interview posted today, this time with the owner of Tokyo SHMUPS! online store. :)

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=314

Another interview today, this time with Mike Walz, the one-man-band behind forthcoming XBOX Live Indie Games title, Snops Attack!

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=342

This time, a spotlight on my Darius Laserdisc. Hope it's not too boring and fanboyish! :)

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=419

A look at the Famitsu Weekly 'Nintendo Special'. Complete with some photography to drool over (snapped by yours truly). :)

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE!

By the way, there's a few surprises coming for the blog soon. Stay tuned...

#PinkBullets

Another interview today, this one is quite an exclusive too! A chat with Nathan Fouts of Mommy's Best Games.

Nathan worked on Postal 2 and Ratchet & Clank to name but a few. :)

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/nathan-fouts-mommys-best-games/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Another interview today, this one is quite an exclusive too! A chat with Nathan Fouts of Mommy's Best Games.

Nathan worked on Postal 2 and Ratchet & Clank to name but a few. :)

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/nathan-fouts-mommys-best-games/

y-u-no-work.jpg

Getting an error:
    "Proxy Error
    The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request GET /blogs/nathan-fouts-mommys-best-games/.

Reason: Error reading from remote server"

And its not just me:
    http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/nathan-fouts-mommys-best-games/

Yeah it's my host. I need a new host. That poxy proxy error has been happening a lot lately.

I'm open to suggestions for migrating the site. :)

Yeah it's my host. I need a new host. That poxy proxy error has been happening a lot lately.

I'm open to suggestions for migrating the site. :)

Are you looking to host it in Ireland?

I use Letshost.ie and they seem decent(I've used Blacknight in the past and they were ok). The have real 24 hour support as well so if you have an issue at 3am they can help you out.
    They have a lot of hosting packages as well so if your just hosting a small site you don't have to pay crazy money for it. But if you have a lot of sites and high bandwidth needs they will sort you out as well.(for a price).

iminterestedt128616055587772809.jpg

Site is back up now. Nightmare! Definitely moving host.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Site is back up now. Nightmare! Definitely moving host.

Good article about Mommy's Best Games. Cho Aniki even got a mention! :eek:

Is that XBLIG available to us folk over hear yet?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Good article about Mommy's Best Games. Cho Aniki even got a mention! :eek:

Is that XBLIG available to us folk over hear yet?

Cheers chief. :)

XBLIG is available in UK but not IE unfortunately. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thought that was the case, feckin MS. :mad:

Some positives re: Windows Phone 7, I bet you're even more tempted to get one. :)

I actually got to try out a Lumia 800 today. Ridiculously impressive phone.

My contract expires tomorrow so Friday I need to jump ship. But to what? I was going to go to Three but was told by them today (on boards.ie and in their Henry Street store) that as of 1.1.12 new customers are NOT allowed to tether. AT ALL.

So that's Three struck off my list.

Which leaves staying with O2 (no thanks) or Vodafone (recession? what recession?). Meteor and eMobile are not even on my consideration list.

Anyway, I might end up with a Lumia 800 and contract remorse by Friday, I dunno... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers chief. :)

XBLIG is available in UK but not IE unfortunately. :(

The indie games work fine in Ireland. Just create another account(US/UK etc) and download them that way. Sign back in with your normal Irish account and play away.

That's the way it was 5 months or so ago when I last checked it out(and before the recent dash update).

Advertisement