Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Brilliant, the windows phone facebook had this date a while ago but nice to hear it from o2.

A staff member in o2 said anything other than black is extremely unlikely, but also said Carphone Warehouse almost always go for colours so they're the better option. I might be weird but I just wouldn't buy a black phone. Also said plans will be cheaper than iphone plans- €300 worst case scenario, should be in and around €220 and that it will be €500ish as a prepay.

220 + a contract...That's pretty insane considering the link a couple of week back here to a German website that's selling it for E365 SIM free. Id rather stay on 15 euro SIM free contract and buy the phone out myself in that case. Would save a lot more money than at least doubling or going as far as x3 more than I would pay on my bill with O2

Now salesmen usually don't know the prices till it the phone actually launches and it comes up on the system.

So lets hope the price of this does come down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Seeing as we are on the issue of price plans, I have just ordered one with Vodafone, they have been offering the Lumia from the call centre (only, not the shops or online until tomorrow) for the last few weeks. The offer they have is to go on one of their "My Way Plus" plans, and depending on contract length, you get the phone free, i.e. 24mth contract: free phone, 18mth contract: €99 (but they said they would do it for €49, which they did)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

220 + a contract...That's pretty insane considering the link a couple of week back here to a German website that's selling it for E365 SIM free. Id rather stay on 15 euro SIM free contract and buy the phone out myself in that case. Would save a lot more money than at least doubling or going as far as x3 more than I would pay on my bill with O2

Now salesmen usually don't know the prices till it the phone actually launches and it comes up on the system.

So lets hope the price of this does come down

It's not going to be anywhere near this price. Nokia and really making a big push to get this to compete with the iphone, mainly on price. You should expect this to be free on most standard "smartphone" plans over 18 & 24 months.

Well 99 is a lot more reasonable than 200.

As Nokia and Microsoft said phones are getting cheaper to manufacture every year. Now obviously the manufacturing process for the Lumia 800 is a bit more complex due to unibody construction but the chips and all shouldn't cost that much meaning the phone for carriers should be pretty cheap and they shouldn't be charging that much.

and of course, don't forget the li'l old 710, which is also launching tomorrow (exclusive with O2 for a month I think). That will be a decent handset for very little money

• Advertisement

and of course, don't forget the li'l old 710, which is also launching tomorrow (exclusive with O2 for a month I think). That will be a decent handset for very little money

Is the 710 coming here? There has been very little information regarding to that coming out here.

Is the 710 coming here? There has been very little information regarding to that coming out here.

AFAIK, I'll try to find out the exact story. I'd say there's been very little on it because the majority of focus is on the 800, naturally enough. On the 800, I don't know why Nokia go to all that trouble to make a delicious slab of polycarbonate and curved glass and then supply a rubber cover to hide all the goodness away. I suppose some people need the extra protection, but it really takes away from the aesthetics

AFAIK, I'll try to find out the exact story. I'd say there's been very little on it because the majority of focus is on the 800, naturally enough. On the 800, I don't know why Nokia go to all that trouble to make a delicious slab of polycarbonate and curved glass and then supply a rubber cover to hide all the goodness away. I suppose some people need the extra protection, but it really takes away from the aesthetics

True that, but them metal unibody phones can be slippy, particularly moreso if one's hands are cold. I dropped my N8 and cracked the screen, or should I say it slipped outta my hand like melting ice. Upon the arrival of the replacement phone I had a rubber cover ready to go. It has majorly improved the grip factor, but yes, it takes away from the aesthetics for sure. Difficult call either way...

And it's not for protection I have the cover, it's purely for the grip, and in my logic, if I have better grip I will not drop the phone. It's one of them soft pliable covers, so it wouldn't offer much protection if it hit the deck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just saw this pretty damning review of the Lumia 800 in the guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/dec/30/nokia-lumia-800-goodbye

Would put me off it no end. :(

quad_red wrote: »

I dunno, it's one person's opinion. Woven throughout the review was the obvious hatred he has for all things Microsoft (IE, Bing) and there were some quite frankly idiotic things he had to say e.g.
    Want to play all albums by a given artist? Firstly, wait several days ... Then eventually, half by accident, click on the little arrow icon next to the artist (as opposed to by the name of the artist.
    Does he mean the Play button ? Surely he's not so obtuse so as willingly not recognise one of the most recognisable icons in the world ?
    built-in Twitter app does not show you pictures of the people you're tweeting with, but only shows their name. That's the rule of designing for Metro - it's all typographical. That would be fine if it wasn't for the case that I only recognise people by their profile pictures.
    Not sure what to say to that one. Would you really listen to someone so shallow that he does not recognise your name, only your picture ?

He comes across to me as shallow and fickle. He only wanted the phone i the first place because it looked nice. Also, he conveniently ignores the facts that do not suit his argument e.g. the acknowledgements from Nokia that there are battery life and sound deficincies and that they have (and will have more) software updates to deal with the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

quad_red wrote: »

Thats not a review thats someones blog. Where's all his other phone reviews? Anyway you would have to question his intelligence when its taken him so long to figure out what the play button is for

"Want to play all albums by a given artist? Firstly, wait several days while your unconscious works out how to do it. Google on and off during that period and find nothing that works. Then eventually, half by accident, click on the little arrow icon next to the artist "

Here's a picture to what he's talking about.

5251114665_4ccf7e4172.jpg

I'd suggest if you want to read a review check out a mobile phone website.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Thats not a review thats someones blog. Where's all his other phone reviews? Anyway you would have to question his intelligence when its taken him so long to figure out what the play button is for

"Want to play all albums by a given artist? Firstly, wait several days while your unconscious works out how to do it. Google on and off during that period and find nothing that works. Then eventually, half by accident, click on the little arrow icon next to the artist "

Here's a picture to what he's talking about.

5251114665_4ccf7e4172.jpg

I'd suggest if you want to read a review check out a mobile phone website.

Katy Perry ? Seriously ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

o2 and carphone websites have nothing on the 710. I'm interested in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well 99 is a lot more reasonable than 200.

As Nokia and Microsoft said phones are getting cheaper to manufacture every year. Now obviously the manufacturing process for the Lumia 800 is a bit more complex due to unibody construction but the chips and all shouldn't cost that much meaning the phone for carriers should be pretty cheap and they shouldn't be charging that much.

Yes hopefully he's way off, but he was just guessing I suppose.

Katy Perry ? Seriously ? :D

http://www.ditii.com/2010/12/11/pinning-favorite-artists-to-windows-phone-7-start-screen-windows-phone-radio-podcast/

I copied it from here :P

And thats a samsung :pac:

Lol this is the "best" preview ever if the Xbox live hub on the Lumia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That is terrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

That guardian blog is hilariously unprofessional. Matthew Baxter-Reynolds lets himself down very badly. It took him several days to realise that to play all music by an artist you press the play button beside the artists name? He talks about trust... how can I trust a blog from a guy who says it is counter intuitive to launch Internet Explorer by pressing the IE tile.

"Clicking an IE logo seems deeply counterintuitive. For people like me, the IE brand is not helping. It's also welded into Bing, which might be fine but remember this is about trust. I trust Google, I don't trust Bing. So I deleted the IE tile from the home screen and put a shortcut to Google there instead."

OK if you think that Google 'IS' the web then that's you're world view, but there's nothing counterintuitive about launching an app from its tile rather than a shortcut to a site. If you don't like Bing that's fine use Google search app! But your mental model is confused if you think it's counterintuitive to launch IE by clicking on the IE logo!

Similarly he's not a very objective when he compares the inbuilt clock on the iPhone with a 3rd party clock on Windows Phone. The inbuilt clock on WP7 does not suspend when closed. 3rd party apps on the iPhone and Windows Phone both suspended in the first generation of the OS.
    3rd party apps 'can' run in the background in Mango if the dev designs them to. If he bought an older iPhone app that suspended in the background would he blame the OS or the 3rd party dev for not releasing a new version, or himself for not realising the difference between an app and an OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

Popped into Vodafone on the way into work this morning to see if they had the 800, and indeed they did. The display handset I saw was the black model, there was also 2 others with cyan and magenta cases. These were definitely cases and not coloured polycarbonate. The guy there said that the only model they were getting in at the moment was the black one, with optional coloured cases.

I asked what the cheapest plan was and he said you can get the phone for free with a 24 month contract at €45 per month including 100 min, 100 texts and 500MB data. The same deal on an 18 month contract brought the cost of the phone up to €99. I didn't get a chance to find out anything else as at that point I had to run for the bus.

Anyone else have any other details?

gvzAxle wrote: »
    Popped into Vodafone on the way into work this morning to see if they had the 800, and indeed they did. The display handset I saw was the black model, there was also 2 others with cyan and magenta cases. These were definitely cases and not coloured polycarbonate. The guy there said that the only model they were getting in at the moment was the black one, with optional coloured cases.

I asked what the cheapest plan was and he said you can get the phone for free with a 24 month contract at €45 per month including 100 min, 100 texts and 500MB data. The same deal on an 18 month contract brought the cost of the phone up to €99. I didn't get a chance to find out anything else as at that point I had to run for the bus.

Anyone else have any other details?

Yes they are the options that I was given on the phone. I got the phone for €49 with the 18mth contract. I'm not sure why the guy reduced the price but he did. I wonder will they do that in the shops too...

• Advertisement

Nothing yet on their website. In fairness though, 45 quid a month for 100 mins and texts and a measly 500mb of data is pathetic.

Yes indeed, is is a pathetic package compared to what is available elsewhere. VF are becoming known for their uncompetitiveness these days...

On the phone itself, I received mine yesterday. I am delighted with it overall. There are a few small things that I hope will be improved over the next year or so, particularly the Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive software which is not a patch on the Symbian version.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gvzAxle

Anyone know of good online stores stocking the 800 sim-free? I've had a search on a few sites I know (pixmania, expansys, dabs) and the prices are all around the 500-600 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know of good online stores stocking the 800 sim-free? I've had a search on a few sites I know (pixmania, expansys, dabs) and the prices are all around the 500-600 mark.

I've used Phonesonline.ie for my samsung galaxy S2 and found them great. They included a few freebies when my order was slightly delayed.

On Amazon.de you can get the Lumia 800 for 409 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

On Amazon.de you can get the Lumia 800 for 409 euros

I'm assuming that comes with Euro charger and documentation in german?

Any other issues with buying from Germany?

Simplyelectronics has it for €399 with free shipping... but probably with a EU charger. What to do...

TBi wrote: »
    I'm assuming that comes with Euro charger and documentation in german?

Any other issues with buying from Germany?

Simplyelectronics has it for €399 with free shipping... but probably with a EU charger. What to do...

Yip, it comes with a euro plug and separate usb cable. Documentation, who needs that :D

Yip, it comes with a euro plug and separate usb cable. Documentation, who needs that :D

Well... it would make travel to EU easier... :)

I'm tempted by the one on simply... now if only the damn government didn't take all my monies!

http://www.handyschotte.com/handy/nokia/lumia-800-black-schwarz-t-mobile.htm?caid=7
    Use google page translator or chrome to translate the page. 365 coming from germany for a sim free one :)

Im still having mixed emotions weather to go for the Titan or the Lumia 800. I just need a 4" screen atleast. Was trying to type on my gfs desire the other day using a full qwerty and it drove me mental. Now i know WP7 keyboard is better at fixing these errors but i cant decide whats more important. Class looking phone + amoled screen or a massive comfy to use screen for gaming and movies but no amoled :S If only the Lumia 800 had exact spec as the N9 it would make this decision a lot easier

• Advertisement

The Lumia 800 and N9 have (more or less) the same size screen.

Wait for the Lumia 900 to hit ireland, that has a 4"+ screen. I have a 3.8" trophy and had a 3.5" iPhone. After a while the keyboard becomes very easy. You just have to learn to "trust" it.

Advertisement