Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Is it really this hard to meet people in Galway? I can't help but notice myself that this place is very 'clicky' (I admit i'm a bit like that myself) - I'm going to get some shock when I go travelling later in the year

To be honest, it´s not that hard to meet new people in Galway, depending on where you go/where you look. There are beers held in Galway (see sticky at top) and there´s a bookclub, if you´re not interested in the whole pub/club scene. If, however, you are only traveling through, something you could do is go to www.couchsurfing.org. There´s a Galway group there, which does organize meetings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

So if you don't like the pub scene there's the bookclub, what if bookclub isn't your thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Acoshla wrote: »
    So if you don't like the pub scene there's the bookclub, what if bookclub isn't your thing??

It would make more sense to say what you are into than having random internet people make random suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 QuanChi

You should be alright in Galway, huge mix of people and some great spots about.
    I moved here about two years ago and I love it here.

I'm in college here and have met some great people over the last few years.
    Galweigans themselves are very nice but can often stick to their own, but I think its more got to do with the nature of most peoples visits than anything lacking in themselves. Its usually people coming in for the races or festivals and just wrecking town, I get the feeling that local folk get pretty cheesed off at that stuff and its understandable.

Its really down to who you are and what you're into.
    The touristy / crap end of town (Imo) is anywhere beyond middle shop street - from Tis coli / Kingshead up toward shop street and anywhere around Eyre Square. There are some exceptions but probably best avoid it.

The end of town by the Roisin Dubh/Bierhaus/Blue Note etc are great places. Really nice folk in my experience. Slightly cliqish and "Cool" but you can easy filter these people out too after a short time.

Try couchsurfing too - I hear good things.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    It would make more sense to say what you are into than having random internet people make random suggestions.

My point was just that he seemed to break it down into people are either going to want to go drinking or to bookclub, lots of people move here who aren't interested in either, just thought it was odd to limit it to those two.

Ficheall wrote: »

My point was just that he seemed to break it down into people are either going to want to go drinking or to bookclub, lots of people move here who aren't interested in either, just thought it was odd to limit it to those two.

well there were people that met for bowling, met to drink tea and chat, met to go to the cinema. if there's something you want to do, why not create a thread and see if there's much interest in it?

thing is that you have to make the effort!

I don't mean me personally! I'm just sayin, the way that was said made it look like they were the only two options, drink or read, I've been to lots of different things organised on here ffs, I just meant for new people it seemed a bit limiting!

Forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I don't mean me personally! I'm just sayin, the way that was said made it look like they were the only two options, drink or read, I've been to lots of different things organised on here ffs, I just meant for new people it seemed a bit limiting!

Forget it!

Walk on the prom? Thats not limiting...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Forget it!

So what's your point then?
    Suppose I were interested in chess - it would make far more sense for me to ask where one could play chess, than to look through a pile of suggestions (assuming they were forthcoming) as to all the things one could do in the hope of finding that someone had mentioned chess.
    Or if you were suggesting that such a list might be helpful, then perhaps you could enlighten folk as to the "lots of different things organised on here" that you've been to?

And since we're on the subject - chess, go and scrabble in muddy maher's of Wednesday and Sunday evenings. Not a boards-organised thing per se, but one can meet people there and doesn't necessitate drinking OR book-reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 New to galway.

Hey all, Im in galway 3 weeks and still struggling to meet people. Mainly because Im working all week and then on the weekend I dont know anyone to go out with.. If anybody is doing anything soon and want a bit of company let me know.. Ill be up for doing anything.
    Cheers
    James:)

There's the After Hours beers that is coming to Galway this Saturday (13th of August), which is open to everybody. It's going to be on in O' Connells on Eyre Square. More information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gulla

Hi :)
    My name is Gulla and I have been living in Galway for about six months now. I would like to meet some girls here to hang out with :)
    I am 26 years old!

You can send me an e-mail if you want to chat!
    [email]......@hotmail.com[/email]

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lisagordo

heyo.. iv just moved here about 2months ago. finding it hard to meet people..
    be great to meet some people for a night out, social drinks or something..
    Im 22 and from sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Karen8

Hello,
    I'm moving to Galway soon and don't know anyone here. Tried to get an access to private meetup forum, but it requires at least 25 posts, hrrr, so here I go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hollow Man

Hey,

My name us Matt I'm 30 and just moved to Galway from Kildare. I'd love to make some new friends and have some goin out buddies male or female I don mind. I'm a music producer/musician/dj love goin to live music and comedy especially in the roisin dubh but I'm into everything really. Let me know if there is a meet up or I any1 is interested in meeting up somewhere.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭emzippy

Hi,

I know this is a relatively old post but I thought I'd post anyway. I'm in the same position now and just posted on the Ladies Lounge. I was just wondering if you had any luck making friends through boards?

Hi Boardsies,

I've already posted this in the ladies lounge but wasn't sure if I should post it here too - mods, you'll prob know best!

I a female in her mid twenties and I'm looking to make some friends/meet some new people in Galway city.

I've been in Galway for a while and went to college here but the people I met in college have all more or less gone and I recently changed jobs. Where I now work doesn't really provide much of a chance to make new friends as my colleagues are much older than me.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could meet some new people, it's not the same without a few girly friends around!

Thanks smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Hi emzippy, what part of Galway are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭RichT

Here's a similar thread

• Advertisement

Hi Karona,

I'm on the Headford Road, near Terryland, so about a 15min walk from the city centre.

Thanks RichT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RichT wrote: »
    Merged with the main Friends thread.

I've met some pretty great friends through boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

emzippy wrote: »
    Hi Karona,

I'm on the Headford Road, near Terryland, so about a 15min walk from the city centre.

Ahh your not too far from me then. I'd be up for going out or to the cinema one of the nights when I get back to galway. But I wont be back till the 6th.

Are you near the headford road too? Have you been to any of the meetings that the boardsies have? Maybe we could organise a cinema type thing when you're back in Galway?

Are you near the headford road too? Have you been to any of the meetings that the boardsies have? Maybe we could organise a cinema type thing when you're back in Galway?

Actually last summer I organized a cinema club of sorts. Perhaps I might start it up again if there's much interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clara T

Hi Boardsies,
    I've been in Galway for a while and went to college here but the people I met in college have all more or less gone and I recently changed jobs. Where I now work doesn't really provide much of a chance to make new friends as my colleagues are much older than me.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could meet some new people, it's not the same without a few girly friends around!

Thanks smile.gif

Hi guys,
    I'd like to meet up new people as well. I moved in Galway last July.
    My situation is really close to yours emzippy.
    I think it would be nice to meet you, i live close enough from headford road. May we meet up if you'd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hollow Man

Hey,

I like the idea of the cinema club but of course the cinema is somewhat anti-social for getting to know people. I don't mind goin to the cinema by myself its going out to the pub on my own thats the problem and I love the nightlife here so its killin me not to be able to go out and have a laugh with people. Let me know what yez think.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clara T

Hollow Man wrote: »
    Hey,

I like the idea of the cinema club but of course the cinema is somewhat anti-social for getting to know people. I don't mind goin to the cinema by myself its going out to the pub on my own thats the problem and I love the nightlife here so its killin me not to be able to go out and have a laugh with people. Let me know what yez think.

Matt

Ya you're right matt, it's going to the pub on our own which is not easy... Galway is one of the best city for going out, it would be a shame to miss fun night out!!

Advertisement