Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options
  • 20-02-2021 9:36pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Level 5 remains in place - but who knows how much longer

Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII
    Part VIII

All warnings and threadbans carry over. Please PM the mod issuing a threadban if you wish to discuss options for being allowed to post again

Mod warnings
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?

Hinting or implying that other users are re-regs is against the charter. It is strongly advised that you report posts and let the mods deal with it.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this simple instruction.

Beasty wrote: »
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics
    Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Mod actions can be discussed via PM if you like.

On thread is not permitted.

I will note what I said in the other thread this evening though:

Calling people names such as Dr. Death or Saint Tony etc. only weaken your argument, it's the lowest form of wit.

Keep it civil and on topic and you can discuss the restrictions or your opposition to them as much as you like

Stop bringing the cervical cancer discussion into this thread, if you want to discuss it, start a thread on it elsewhere on the site.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

I'm not going to post another warning on this - stop bringing up the cervical cancer issues in this thread.

It's in the OP not to discuss the issue, if you want to discuss it, go to another forum and start a thread on it, it is not Covid related.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this instruction

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    Jimmy Garlic
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    Deleted User - lifted 16/03/21
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb
    gral6
    John O.Groats
    Plumbthedepths
    nofools
    MelbourneMan
    bucketybuck
    road_high
    Banana Republic 1
    manniot2
    Caraibh
    BryanMartin21
    MadYaker
    Coybig_
    Paddygreen
    Rrrrrr2
    drunkmonkey
    sweetmaggie
    HBC08
    patnor1011
    rusty cole
    zerosugarbuzz
    bettyoleary
    TheCitizen
    Ginger n Lemon
    risteard7
    sabat
    GazzaL
    Mr. Karate
    Kunta Kinte
    Cork2021
    RonaVirus
    BigAndy21
    Silentcorner for 24hrs on 21/2/21
    Donald Trump
    gozunda for 24hrs on 21/2/21
    RobitTv for 24 hrs on 21/2/21
    ypre5 - lifted 2/3/21
    jacdaniel2014
    MEGA BRO WOLF 5000
    pjohnson - lifted 9/3/21
    2ndcoming
    Lundstram
    eskimohunt - lifted 4/3/21
    Kermit.de.frog
    Hector Savage

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From TheHorsesMouth (previous thread)
    Jesus..I think most people in this thread need to take a breath after the numbers today.

One small blip means absolutely nothing. No more than the 500 odd cases reported two weeks ago meant anything.
    Wait until you see, in 7 or 8 weeks time we will see really really good numbers coming in terms of ICU and hospitalisations. The data from Israel is so good. We will be in a completely differently place in that time space.
    I would take any negative story or spin about the variants, cases, restrictions etc with a pinch of salt from here on in.
    That's not to say we won't be in level 5 restrictions for those 7 or 8 weeks but if you were told that we have to do it until then and then we open up and stay open up from end if April on and never go back would you take it? I certainly would and that's whats gonna happen.

I think you're right THM.

Case numbers are dropping, as long as there are no dramatic upswings we'll start and see restrictions being relaxed over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

so boggles to continue our discussion, what miracle do you think is going to occur thatll make covid bugger off anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some great names on the thread ban list !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Horses Mouth,

Not only is there no "Never going back" bargain on offer, we've been primed for 'new variants', a 'fourth wave' and undefined restrictions into 2022.

If you were told the lockdowns would be kept going and going, would it change how you felt about protesting and compliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That was surely the fastest moving relaxation thread?

In what fcuking reiteration will I get my pint??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Yep, same experience. The work shy are loving it.

There must be thousands in the public sector on full pay but not able to actually perform their jobs by working from home so on an amazing extended paid holiday. What’s not to like?

Today I read about the passport office only providing an emergency service so most of them on full pay doing nothing.
    Same with Residential Tenancies Board, providing a half service as “can’t wfh”. What are library staff doing? Museums, art galleries, public heritage sites staff? Primary school teachers (be honest). Air traffic controllers, only need a fraction of them now for each shift, rest on full pay.

What other groups of ps workers would be on full pay but actually unable to perform their job at home?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

MMXXXXXXVVVVVVIIIIIII

Whet ever year that is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

nothing i hadnt predicted in pipeline, i knew it would be mid summer, presuming its what we all learned mid dummer is mid june before hotels and pubs opened. and level5 til early may seems about right. i think though it could be july before hotels and pubs open. they will keep pushing it out, however they will be keen to let people do the staycation so will have to open them during August for a few weeks before schools go back. probably lockdown then in late september again,

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

growleaves wrote: »
    The Horses Mouth,

Not only is there no "Never going back" bargain on offer, we've been primed for 'new variants', a 'fourth wave' and undefined restrictions into 2022.

If you were told the lockdowns would be kept going and going, would it change how you felt about protesting and compliance?

But what I'm saying to you is don't pay any attention to that absolute BS.
    Variants...most scientific research are saying that variants will not change much. The vaccines work end of.

But to answer your question..if the government came out and said lockdown will never end I would protest with every fibre of my being!
    At the end of the day...the irish government will not dictate anything on this..it will all come externally from the UK, Israel and US. Once they do..we will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Some great names on the thread ban list !

Had to check I wasn't on it meself! Handy to have it there alright just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Dickie10 wrote: »
    nothing i hadnt predicted in pipeline, i knew it would be mid summer, presuming its what we all learned mid dummer is mid june before hotels and pubs opened. and level5 til early may seems about right. i think though it could be july before hotels and pubs open. they will keep pushing it out, however they will be keen to let people do the staycation so will have to open them during August for a few weeks before schools go back. probably lockdown then in late september again,

Even the word staycation makes me feel sick. Summer of gloom ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would hope that by June we can get out Airbnb'ing/hotel'ing and maybe a bite to eat.

Can't see the pubs open this summer unless there is a dramatic improvement moving forward with the vaccination process. I reckon September.

I've no real affiliation to any party, but Martin is hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

The government continue to double down. Pure stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The last thread moved so quickly in the past couple of hours so I don’t know if it was mentioned, but they have stopped processing passport renewals! The most basic right any citizen has is no longer available!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if hotels open gastropubs will open, and every wet pub will have found a chef and kitchen id presume over the course of 9 months closed. any pub that cant open as a gastro pub i have no sympathy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I think you will find that isn't true. The first three at least were faster by the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

if hotels open gastropubs will open, and every wet pub will have found a chef and kitchen id presume over the course of 9 months closed. any pub that cant open as a gastro pub i have no sympathy for.

Weird flex but OK.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't know how many times I have had to explain this to you in particular.

We were not testing in March at anywhere near the levels we were in April...it surged in March (the tail end of typical flu season), we have no idea how many people were infected, no idea, it tailed off in April when we started testing everyone and anyone, we were chasing cases all the way up until Dec last year.

The case numbers are misleading.

Are you suggesting that your opinion is fact?

No I do not agree with your opinion on that. And BTW the surge was in April (this was reflected
    in hospital numbers) and declined from that point onwards

4ytgrp.jpg

As for seasonality - it looks like the jury is still out. Unless that is you agreeing with Micheál ;)

https://www.thejournal.ie/is-coronavirus-partially-seasonal-leo-varadkar-5338003-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The last thread moved so quickly in the past couple of hours so I don’t know if it was mentioned, but they have stopped processing passport renewals! The most basic right any citizen has is no longer available!!

Yes, a sly, underhand and cowardly way of preventing travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Bast##ds! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

why should people have to pay for a meal, they do not want. The vast majority of time I go into a pub, I simply want a drink. Hopefully this foodpub bs is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've brought this up couple of times. I'm abroad and still waiting for my new passport since last year which I need for my visa renewal. They don't respond to emails even though it says on the site they are. Absolute joke of a country. Im giving up and getting one through the consulate here even though that's another 10 weeks wait. At least I know they are actually processing them.

Bast##ds! :mad:

since they're taking the scientific approach according to some people on here, can someone please explain the science behind denying people access to a fairly important piece of document which is a constitutional right for you to be allowed possess. i must say I'm slowly learning to hate this country, more so the government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

What happened to the county by county approach ?
    Surely this could be implemented again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ypres5 wrote: »
    since they're taking the scientific approach according to some people on here, can someone please explain the science behind denying people access to a fairly important piece of document which is a constitutional right for you to be allowed possess.

That would be physics.

The staff aren't in the office to access the stuff they need.

FYI passports are still available for essential purposes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

C__MC wrote: »
    What happened to the county by county approach ?
    Surely this could be implemented again

Went out the windows with the 1st Living with Covid plan, Donnellys colour coded new school crayons colour scheme and the Levels 1-5 plan with the infinite number of decimal places between them.

Living with Covid 2 - Coming to an RTE screen near you next week!!!!

God help us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

gozunda wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that your opinion is fact?

No I do not agree with your opinion on that.

I'm tired of this pointless nonsense....it is a fact we weren't testing in March the way we were testing in April...so the case numbers are misleading.

The hospitalizations don't particularly point to anything....it was a new virus that hit us over a period of weeks, some weeks it battered care homes at a different rate to other weeks, battered hospital wards at different rates week to week....

But we were all stuck in the severest level of lockdown in April, we couldn't go more than 2km, if what you are saying is correct, that it peaked in April, then you know, lockdowns don't work...how much more evidence do you need?

Graham wrote: »
    That would be physics.

The staff aren't in the office to access the stuff they need.

FYI passports are still available for essential purposes.

sorry what does not issuing passports have to do with physics? and surely if it was an issue of not having the equipment there could be a bare minimum skeleton crew set up to process them just at a slower pace. a passport shouldn't be issued on the basis of whether or not it's essential its a constitutional right that you're allowed to possess one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

hamburgham wrote: »
    Yes, a sly, underhand and cowardly way of preventing travel.

Well tbf if you are undertaking essential travel then you can still apply for a passport.

However if you mean non essential travel which is subject to the current government advisory against all non-essential international travel to protect public health and to mitigate the risk of new variants of COVID-19 entering the country - then no.

• Advertisement

I'm tired of this pointless nonsense....it is a fact we weren't testing in March the way we were testing in April...so the case numbers are misleading.

Case number will always be misleading unless you test every single person in the country.

They should not be used as a barometer of a pandemic.

The actual case numbers are probably 7-8 times higher than reported since asymptomatic people don't usually get tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement