Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of restrictions

• 01-04-2020 6:25pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Simon Harris curiously made a comment that there was a limit to how long people could put up with extreme level of restrictions as we currently have. Already we’re seeing in Italy that people are starting to get restless. So two big questions:

1) on Easter Sunday, do you think there will be further restrictions, no change with just an extension or some relaxation?

2) what will be the first thing rolled back?

My own guess would be: extension for at least 1 week. Then to allow some businesses like DIY shops to reopen, perhaps allow gatherings of 2/3 people, maybe a token increase on 2km.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Red Alert wrote: »
    Simon Harris curiously made a comment that there was a limit to how long people could put up with extreme level of restrictions as we currently have. Already we’re seeing in Italy that people are starting to get restless. So two big questions:

1) on Easter Sunday, do you think there will be further restrictions, no change with just an extension or some relaxation?

My own guess would be: extension for at least 1 week. Then to allow some businesses like DIY shops to reopen, perhaps allow gatherings of 2/3 people, maybe a token increase on 2km.

My expectation is that if they are seen to be effective, they will be kept as is for another fortnight.

If they are not effective in halting the spread to persons in previously unaffected households who should have been staying indoors, restrictions will be stepped up.

Restrictions will not be stepped down until the masses have been effectively isolating for a time that exceeds the incubation period for the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    My expectation is that if they are seen to be effective, they will be kept as is for another fortnight.

If they are not effective in halting the spread to persons in previously unaffected households who should have been staying indoors, restrictions will be stepped up.

Restrictions will not be stepped down until the masses have been effectively isolating for a time that exceeds the incubation period for the virus.

What further step up measures do you think will be imposed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would say 1-2 weeks after Easter.We are not China, they know they are on borrowed time with it.The other thing is that they can't afford the country to shut down for too long...we still have to pay it back.

What exactly happens, and how, after that will depend on our numbers, and the medical resources they have managed to put in place.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think on a practical level it would be hard to step up the existing level of restrictions any further. Unless you were to remove the 2km exercise radius maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Will be delighted if restrictions are relaxed by July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Will be delighted if restrictions are relaxed by July.

Still wont be able to go abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kieran. wrote: »
    What further step up measures do you think will be imposed?

*Pure Speculation but possible changes*

No outdoor exercise.

Limited access to shops, maybe two visits a week per household with just a single person making that trip.

A further tightening of the types of workplace allowed to operate.

Don't assume that the current scenario is as tight as it will get. If you don't want to see it getting locked down further, then isolate as best as you can and use whatever influence you have to get others to do the same.

Restrictions will get tighter until it is contained. Restrictions will start to lift after a lag of two to three weeks after effective containment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Sweden is getting ready for a lockdown. Numbers increasing alot more these days.

People are not happy there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think another week after Easter Sunday and the a relaxing back to the previous level. Purely because its a bank holiday week and its only 4 days for business. The overs 70 might be required to stay indoors. They are expecting the peak in these 2 weeks.

The contact tracing figures are down from 20 to 5 to 2 or 3 so that shows the measures are working.

If the figures start to climb again its back to lock down again.

Around June i think we could see the relaxation of the social distancing, foreign travel not included or a 14 days isolation period.

• Advertisement

If new treatment being trialed starts proving very helpful at keeping people out of the ICUs and then out of hospitals, and becomes more readily available, AND that current measures are proved successful at keeping it at bay in the community there, then one or two relaxations could be made. Elderly people might no longer have to cocoon. One solution to keep people from going out all together might be to limit certain days to surnames beginning with certain letters, eg people (driver if the car in case of couples/families) with certain years of birth can go out specified days. EG.,birth years 1930-1969 can go out Mondays & Saturdays, 1970-1999 can go out Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays, birth years 2000 on can go out Wednesdays & Fridays. Very hard to police, but some way to stop the world all going out to the one place at the one time, whilst still allowing some recreation and change of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Will be extended to at least the 19th

That's if the public take existing measures seriously

The vast vast majority are but there are always exceptions

This is the type of thing which will see further restrictions brought in

Gardai shocked as middle-aged woman with coronavirus found travelling 'to post letter'

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-shocked-middle-aged-woman-21787917

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

I expect restrictions until end of April
    Then the restrictions will be relaxed until fully gone by end of may

The cure cannot be worse then the disease - something trump is getting hammered for saying it 4 weeks and we will all say it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Coppers is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thrre are still too many out in the shops.
    Its a danger area so needs to be addressed.
    I live in a rural area and the supermarkets in the local town are buzzing. Fair enough they are limiting access and doing what they can but people need to cut down visits ideally or perhaps shops would more evenly distribute shoppers somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

alias no.9 wrote: »
    *Pure Speculation but possible changes*

No outdoor exercise.

Limited access to shops, maybe two visits a week per household with just a single person making that trip.

A further tightening of the types of workplace allowed to operate.

Don't assume that the current scenario is as tight as it will get. If you don't want to see it getting locked down further, then isolate as best as you can and use whatever influence you have to get others to do the same.

Restrictions will get tighter until it is contained. Restrictions will start to lift after a lag of two to three weeks after effective containment.
    All of this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There will not be more restrictions, those in place are working. The tests now reported were taken last week and it takes time to work through the system.
    Places like DIY shops were not a priority to close anyway and will be reopened.

I would suggest that clear rules be identified, re spacing, regulation of numbers, hand washing facilities for customers and staff, screens for staff counters, etc and that some more shops would be opened if they can show they meet these requirements. Likewise outdoor construction could resume with handwashing facility requirements, split shifts etc.

Sweden has about twice the population of ROI, but 4 times the deaths today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Gardai shocked as middle-aged woman with coronavirus found travelling 'to post letter'

Why are fines not given in this instance.

Pair of twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

what's your thoughts on schools opening?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

mickdw wrote: »
    Thrre are still too many out in the shops.
    Its a danger area so needs to be addressed.
    I live in a rural area and the supermarkets in the local town are buzzing. Fair enough they are limiting access and doing what they can but people need to cut down visits ideally or perhaps shops would more evenly distribute shoppers somehow.

In fairness to people there doesn’t seem to be panic / unreasonable buying going on. I don’t see too many empty shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Sweden is far from doing fine. Their deaths per million population currently stands at 24. Ours is 17. There's also a lot of questions being asked over there about their testing rates.
    Compare both to New Zealand (a country similar to our own in population and demographics) who imposed a lock down before any of us and who were particularly strict on isolating those returning to the country right from the start. They had their first case the day before us. They currently have 708 cases total and a death rate of 0.2 per million of population.

I can see things being extended for another two weeks at least. There's two many people out and about and too much leeway given to some businesses. The cops should be given MORE overtime and big sticks to go with it to whip any teens or young fellas hanging around. Whip, whip, and whip again. Then fine them as well. The only way to beat this thing is to starve it and that's just not happening. Another two weeks of a proper serious lockdown would go a long way towards slowing this right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Probably be shot down for this but could restrictions not be lifted (slowly) by region?
    Least affected first?
    In any event probably back to where we were last Thursday by 19th April, further reductions in restrictions after May Bank Holiday, then further around 19th May .
    Complete eg foreign travel, pubs open...June/July?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I dont know about anyone else but this isloation is driving me stir crazy after only a few days - I'm an outdoors type person, could hack another 2 weeks - max -
    After I would say Cocoon the at risk , and slowly return a little back to normal.
    I have lost all my work, and so many other small business are the same, the mental health scars are going to be seriously horrific if this goes on much longer.
    Some people seam better adjusted to a life of self-isolation, in fact some seam to nearly enjoy the severe restrictions, I am struggling big time, and am doing it to protect the vulnerable, and we all have elderly relations, but at some point life must return, before too much damage is done to even more -
    Where are the Government getting all this money to pay for a society basically shut down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Red Alert wrote: »

They won't be able to relax restrictions until sept at the earliest.

They won't be able to tighten them without causing trouble though.

Its already causing public disorder in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,787 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They wont be able to keep over 70s et al cocooned for 6 months. There would be huge health implications to that.

It would have to step back to the level it was at last week.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Acey10 wrote: »
    what's your thoughts on schools opening?

The pressing issue is what to do about the Leaving Cert - this is the only situation where this is a major and immediate consequence. The Junior Cert can wait. I've absolutely no insider information but reckon they will need to run it in some form during the summer or early autumn. It is actually a huge headache with no simple or straightforward solution. There is a lot of project work complete/almost complete, should this be included? If so schools will need to return for a number of weeks before the exams, in fact they would need to do this for all subjects anyway - can't see many teachers/students happy to go straight to exams as they would have lost the crucial final 10 weeks. A huge conundrum for al involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Source, please ?

Have just checked the main Italian media and there is nothing about public disorders over there.

I think an added two weeks with restrictions lifted slowly. Schools to reopen for leaving cert only.
    Hopefully all schools, colleges and all workplaces back to near normal in September.
    No point in rushing things at this stage. I feel that we haven’t peaked just yet. That’ll happen in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

otnomart wrote: »
    Source, please ?

Have just checked the main Italian media and there is nothing about public disorders over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/singing-stops-italy-fear-social-unrest-mount-coronavirus-lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Unless the number of daily deaths starts to surge there is no chance of September. Give it another 2 weeks, and if daily deaths hovers at or below 20 there will be an initial relaxation, like lift the 2km, hardware stores reopen etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement