Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

gozunda wrote: »
    Well tbf if you are undertaking essential travel then you can still apply for a passport.

However if you mean non essential travel which is subject to the current government advisory against all non-essential international travel to protect public health and to mitigate the risk of new variants of COVID-19 entering the country - then no.

but a passport is a constitutional right the government shouldn't be allowed to just stamp on it like that. also you need a passport for more than just travel potentially. also when does the new variants argument end for you because there's been countless variants already and it's not going to magically stop so when does travel get to resume?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BigAndy21

By the end of this conspiracy theorists will have no conspiracy's left seeing as they are all coming true haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

ypres5 wrote: »
    sorry what does not issuing passports have to do with physics? and surely if it was an issue of not having the equipment there could be a bare minimum skeleton crew set up to process them just at a slower pace. a passport shouldn't be issued on the basis of whether or not it's essential its a constitutional right that you're allowed to possess one.

What I’m learning about this country is that there’s a very loose and utilitarian view of “rights”. Your rights can be violated when it suits a specific purpose. Which makes them more akin to privileges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

sorry what does not issuing passports have to do with physics?

To demonstrate.

Sit on your sofa at home. Try to pick up an object that's physically in your workplace/office/school.

BigAndy21 wrote: »
    By the end of this conspiracy theorists will have no conspiracy's left seeing as they are all coming true haha.

That's just a conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    To demonstrate.

Sit on your sofa at home. Try to pick up an object that's physically in your workplace/office/school.

why not try reading the rest of my post where i said they could have a skeleton crew operating. and i also said that it was the government's scientific approach to covid not science in general. unless tonys added the title of physicist to his many talents

why not try reading the rest of my post where i said they could have a skeleton crew operating

They do, issuing passports for essential purposes.

I did mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

To demonstrate.

Even if that poster manages the oul' telekinesis, they also need to remember that there would be huge privacy issues with allowing staff to connect in using possibly unsecured hardware or networks, to private data.

I'm sure that our oul' buddies there in the middle East, might be happy to know there could be unsecured access points into systems that have lists of all Irish passports numbers and personal details.......given they are looking for things to do now that they are running out of people to vaccinate.

They do, issuing passports for essential purposes.

I did mention that.

but again for the third time a passport is a constitutional right. your access to one shouldn't be determined by some arbitrary criteria set by the government. why is it whenever i or anyone else discusses something with you we wind up having to repeat ourselves 3 or 4 times while you try and twist people's words

Even if that poster manages the oul' telekinesis, they also need to remember that there would be huge privacy issues with allowing staff to connect in using possibly unsecured hardware or networks, to private data.

That would be the other non-scientific reason :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

From THM in previous thread:

" Jesus..I think most people in this thread need to take a breath after the numbers today.

One small blip means absolutely nothing. No more than the 500 odd cases reported two weeks ago meant anything.
    Wait until you see, in 7 or 8 weeks time we will see really really good numbers coming in terms of ICU and hospitalisations. The data from Israel is so good. We will be in a completely differently place in that time space.
    I would take any negative story or spin about the variants, cases, restrictions etc with a pinch of salt from here on in.
    That's not to say we won't be in level 5 restrictions for those 7 or 8 weeks but if you were told that we have to do it until then and then we open up and stay open up from end if April on and never go back would you take it? I certainly would and that's whats gonna happen. "

I disagree, they've already planted the seeds of new variants and strains. They will slowly condition the population about them and will claim the vaccines are ineffective against them. In and out of lockdowns for a few years, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Case number will always be misleading unless you test every single person in the country.

They should not be used as a barometer of a pandemic.

The actual case numbers are probably 7-8 times higher than reported since asymptomatic people don't usually get tested.

A dog with a mallet up his backside can see it....we probably have three times the immunity we think we have, plus another chunk vaccinated.

The supermarket workers are an important entity in all this, I think it is a very transmittable virus that shot through us twice now, what is random is how some immune systems get a right kicking and most won't even feel a runny nose...now, that is just speculation...before some swivel eyed loon calls it a conspiracy theory!!!

We are in a much better place than this time last year, but we are behaving like it could all go wrong again in a matter of days, like December...level 5 in May just illustrates how bat s**t crazy our leaders are.

There is a saying that never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity...I think this is a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

but a passport is a constitutional right

No it isn't.

but again for the third time a passport is a constitutional right.

You should absolutely take that to Court.

since they're taking the scientific approach according to some people on here, can someone please explain the science behind denying people access to a fairly important piece of document which is a constitutional right for you to be allowed possess. i must say I'm slowly learning to hate this country, more so the government

It truly is turning into a leftist/communist, unsavory society.

Plenty of high value people will leave once these lockdowns end and after SF come to power in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm tired of this pointless nonsense....it is a fact we weren't testing in March the way we were testing in April...so the case numbers are misleading.

The hospitalizations don't particularly point to anything....it was a new virus that hit us over a period of weeks, some weeks it battered care homes at a different rate to other weeks, battered hospital wards at different rates week to week....

But we were all stuck in the severest level of lockdown in April, we couldn't go more than 2km, if what you are saying is correct, that it peaked in April, then you know, lockdowns don't work...how much more evidence do you need?

Nope again. Full restrictions didn't kick in to the end of March. April figures showing a surge are also backed up by hospitalisations. If you wish to ignore that and believe otherwise fine.

You do know that covid presents as a infection which has a variable lag time for infection to recovery etc time. And unfortunately no restrictions are effective where people choose to ignore them...

Nope again April figures are also backed up by hospitalisations. If you wish to ignore that and believe otherwise fine.

You do know that covid presents as a infection which has a variable lag time for infection to recovery etc time. And unfortunately no restrictions are effective where people choose to ignore them...

Then why continue?

Then why continue?

He is after backing himself into a corner...you can see his brain moving trying to figure out his next move!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

No it isn't.

You're mistaken, getting a passport is a fundamental right under the Irish Constitution.

I'd love to see the breakdown of what people do for a living out of those who are pressing hard for lockdowns. I'd wager a bet they are either:

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Mr.S wrote: »
    No they haven't.

They most certainly have

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

decreds wrote: »
    I'd love to see the breakdown of what people do for a living out of those who are pressing hard for lockdowns. I'd wager a bet they are either:

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

I qualify for the artist's exemption and I think the current lockdowns are too heavy-handed.

Sorry!

No it isn't.

Yes it is. from citizens advice

You have a right to move freely within the State. You also have a broader right to travel and to get a passport for the purpose of travelling.

Nope again April figures are also backed up by hospitalisations. If you wish to ignore that and believe otherwise fine.

According to your chart, the hospitalizations peaked in the 3rd week of April, so...by your logic, they were infected around the 1st week in April, when we were in full lockdown mode, stuck to 2km, huge compliance...and it surged anyway.

I don't believe that by the way, but you clearly do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

A rave sponsored by FG, aka a video of the most unlikeable person I've ever seen recorded.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLemYD6HNdU/?igshid=1bcmjzzn4wj8v

It looks like a skit at first but it's not. Do FG think they're going to win the hearts and minds of the youth with this finger wagging drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Then why continue?

Because a small number choose to ignore them?

You should absolutely take that to Court.

im already sorted for my passport for the next decade graham thanks. by the time it's up for renewal i might be allowed leave the county fingers crossed

decreds wrote: »

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

D) Wilfully deluded nosy nellies with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well tbf if you are undertaking essential travel then you can still apply for a passport.

However if you mean non essential travel which is subject to the current government advisory against all non-essential international travel to protect public health and to mitigate the risk of new variants of COVID-19 entering the country - then no.

Advisory is the key word. The same advisory tag that the government used in the high court case lost by Ryanair.

Of all the essential services up and running having a passport is definitely up there. It's one of the few legal documents we actually have in this country for identification.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

A rave sponsored by FG, aka a video of the most unlikeable person I've ever seen recorded.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLemYD6HNdU/?igshid=1bcmjzzn4wj8v

It looks like a skit at first but it's not. Do FG think they're going to win the hearts and minds of the youth with this finger wagging drivel?

This is so great. Her facial expressions. The music. The scary stock video clip of somebody scrolling on their phone in the dark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement