Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I do think we are being locked up, but that 5km limit is for exercise (and is unfair for many who don’t have sea/mountains in their doorstep) - you can go further for other reasons.

In jail you can leave your 6 x 8 accommodations for certain reasons too. This does not change the reality of confinement and lack of freedom imposed.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Dickie10 wrote: »
    nothing i hadnt predicted in pipeline, i knew it would be mid summer, presuming its what we all learned mid dummer is mid june before hotels and pubs opened. and level5 til early may seems about right. i think though it could be july before hotels and pubs open. they will keep pushing it out, however they will be keen to let people do the staycation so will have to open them during August for a few weeks before schools go back. probably lockdown then in late september again,

You think we will have another lockdown in late September?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

walus wrote: »
    In jail you can leave your 6 x 8 accommodations for certain reasons too. This does not change the reality of confinement and lack of freedom imposed.

I understand your point and the one above on where people live. I am lucky that I have a lot within 5km - unfortunately I don’t have close friends or family within this radius to meet for a walk or an outside coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If lockdown lasts until May as it seems it will and you live in a different county to your parents like me, you’ll have had 1 week in the last 7 months were you were “allowed” to see your family. Let that sink in! And then knock it off with this nobody is locked up rubbish. Europe’s longest and strictest lockdown has failed miserably time and time again and yet we still keep it.

That wrong afaics. Already posted this.
    Varadkar: Taoiseach did not say Level 5 would last until May
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230062.html

Not being smart but What about the whole pre Christmas period when restrictions on visiting family etc and travel were dropped?

Tbh I find it odd that people are complaining of harsh restrictions when we had summer with relatively low restrictions as well.

Overall the UK has had a much stricter lockdown than and us and Germanys lockdown has been without break for nearly 3 months and they are only looking at the relaxation of that now.

Yeah restrictions are a complete feking bummer but with vaccination and dropping case numbers looks like we're going the right way. No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this stage.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not being smart but What about the whole pre Christmas period when restrictions on visiting family etc and travel were dropped?

Tbh I find it odd that people are complaining of harsh restrictions when we had summer with relatively low restrictions as well.

Overall the UK has had a much stricter lockdown than and us and Germanys lockdown has been without break for nearly 3 months and they are only looking at the relaxation of that now.

Yeah restrictions are a complete feking bummer but with vaccination and dropping case numbers looks like we're going the right way. No point thrieing the baby out with the bathwater at this stage.

Travel restrictions were only dropped between Dec 18 and 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭JRant

personally i think we are start to move to a better place purely because of the changing opinion of the population...talk to your friends,your collegues if you are working,your family...nobody is calling for more restrictions,everyone is questioning the wisdom of lockdowns and feeling hugely let down by the government and nphet one year on that we are not dealing with this in a more targeted balanced smart way....everytime we leave our front door we accept a level of risk...and so it is with covid...common sense has been thrown out the window...

Oh, it's much worse than that. We are now supposed to accept the risk of others now as well. All this "stay home, protect the vulnerable" is a complete nonsense. Everyone should be responsible for their own behaviour, end of. Asking an entire country to be held accountable for some vulnerable people possibly contracting an airborne virus is insidious.

On the other hand we have been repeatedly told there's not much the HSE can do to protect people directly in their care. Ah, sure, they may have caught COVID in the hospital or nursing home, but that's only because Bob 200 miles went to visit his friends for a takeaway pint.

Critical thinking and a sense of personal responsibility have gone out the window.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You think we will have another lockdown in late September?

I would have thought we'll see severe restrictions brought in around then. All the indicators from the government to date would show this to be the case and if NPHET are still a thing by then you can almost bank on it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

If lockdown lasts until May as it seems it will and you live in a different county to your parents like me, you’ll have had 1 week in the last 7 months were you were “allowed” to see your family.

Let that sink in!

And then knock it off with this nobody is locked up rubbish.

Europe’s longest and strictest lockdown has failed miserably time and time again and yet we still keep it.

While all along it was a free for all at the ports and airports. Jokeshop.

Travel restrictions were only dropped between Dec 18 and 26.

Most of December was level 3. I referred to travel re visiting family when during December you could meet up family within their bubble in your own country. And travel outside county to ensure care of parents etc was always allowed and as you said that was again relaxed for Christmas itself to allow family members to get together.

Again it's not like other countries like the UK or Germany which effectively cancelled Christmas had it any easier. They didn't. A lot of people here took the piss tbf. Its one of the reasons we are still trying to get down from the ****efest with high level of new cases after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

JRant wrote: »
    I would have thought we'll see severe restrictions brought in around then. All the indicators from the government to date would show this to be the case and if NPHET are still a thing by then you can almost bank on it.

100% they will panic once the colder weather comes in. The current gov will bring in level 5 from around September I’m guessing. Maybe later but we will be in level 5 next Christmas is my bet. I’ve seen nothing from this shambles of a gov to suggest otherwise. With or without the vaccine.

• Advertisement

I understand your point and the one above on where people live. I am lucky that I have a lot within 5km - unfortunately I don’t have close friends or family within this radius to meet for a walk or an outside coffee.

This is all very personal and subjective. Some are happy to stay at home all the time, others feel claustrophobic being confined to travelling only within 5 km radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Even if you did have them close, it’d be against the rules to meet them even outside. So you’d be considered a rule-breaker who’s responsible for keeping this lockdown going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im going for a cycle down to wicklow in a little bit , fck the 5K! Im following the science

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Even if you did have them close, it’d be against the rules to meet them even outside. So you’d be considered a rule-breaker who’s responsible for keeping this lockdown going.

Really? You cannot walk with people outside?
    Maybe the Guards would be better focused then policing this particularly the BMX bandits rather than stopping people leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Just saw a flyer on twitter for a protest on Sat 27th of February 2pm in St Stephens Green

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You can excercise with one other from a different household . So you can walk with another

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#exercise-and-sporting-events

People may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise.

No indoor or outdoor exercise group activities, including those involving children, should take place.

JRant wrote: »

On the other hand we have been repeatedly told there's not much the HSE can do to protect people directly in their care. Ah, sure, they may have caught COVID in the hospital or nursing home, but that's only because Bob 200 miles went to visit his friends for a takeaway pint.

Critical thinking and a sense of personal responsibility have gone out the window.

This sort of upside-down logic baffles me since the beginning.

They cannot control what happens under the hospital roof in so far as virus control and protection of the vulnerable is concerned, yet they are implementing a strategy that relies on Bob and millions of others behaving themselves for a very long period of time. If that is not stupid, I don’t know what is.

Really? You cannot walk with people outside?
    Maybe the Guards would be better focused then policing this particularly the BMX bandits rather than stopping people leaving the country.

Yeah people most certainly can walk outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. That for essential reasons you can travel as far as is needed. That you can still travel to check in parents etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

They cannot control what happens under the hospital roof in so far as virus control and protection of the vulnerable is concerned, yet they are implementing a strategy that relies on Bob and millions of others behaving themselves for a very long period of time. If that is not stupid, I don’t know what is.

What is stupid is a Government believes it can control a microscopic virus in an entire population by locking them all down wrecking the economy and society even though we can't control it in hospitals, a place where every precaution is taken by professionals used to handling virus outbreaks in hospitals.

If it wasn't so damaging to our country it would be hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I expected the roll out of the vaccine to coincide with a substantial relaxation of the lockdown, but at this point I think we’re probably facing another 15 months of some level of restrictions.

• Advertisement

The problem is that small number of Bobs and his mates have been taking the piss and not bothering with the restrictions

And of course the risk of covid infection in hospital is high. Especially where there are multiple patients there being treated for Covid . Most health care workers and the elderly are now being vaccinated so that risk is lessening. But yes asking people to observe basic instructions while case numbers are high after the ****efest which was Christmas is hardly surprising is it

Once case numbers are down and vaccination numbers are up - restrictions are to be rolled back. Its really not hard to understand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What is stupid is a Government believes it can control a microscopic virus in an entire population by locking them all down wrecking the economy and society even though we can't control it in hospitals

You can't understand how a virus spreads when people are in close proximity but doesn't when they're not?

Really?

The problem is that quite often Bob and his mates have been taking the piss and not bothering with the restrictions

And of course the risk of covid infection in hospital is high. Especially where there are multiple patients there being treated fir Covid . Most health care workers and the elderly are now being vaccinated so that risk is lessening. But yes asking people to observe basic instructions while case numbers are high after the ****efest which was Christmas is hardly surprising is it

But you believe the first surge peaked in April...3/2/4 weeks in full lock down, going by case numbers or hospitalizations which we all remember vividly saw huge compliance from the 27th March.

Where was she s##tfest in April?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But you believe the first surge peaked in April...3/2/4 weeks in full lock down

It's almost as if symptoms might take a while to show.

Seriously Silentcorner, pretending case numbers didn't drop significantly after the initial set of restrictions is just silly. I get that you're just trying to provoke a reaction but at this stage its more likely to be :rolleyes:

Graham wrote: »
    You can't understand how a virus spreads when people are in close proximity but doesn't when they're not?

Really?

Ah, here is Graham back...the science denier who doesn't believe in winter surges in viral infections!!!

A Government cannot control a microscopic virus Graham when it is circulating in the population, it is ludicrous to suggest they can....how have we been getting on trying to control Covid since it arrived here last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah people most certainly can walk outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. That for essential reasons you can travel as far as is needed. That you can still travel to check in parents etc etc.

My parents are in theirs 50s and haven't seen my siblings and their kids for months. Stop with this ****. Can't you accept that these restrictions are separating a lot of people from their families? Oh they "may" but in reality they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The problem is that quite often Bob and his mates have been taking the piss and not bothering with the restrictions

And of course the risk of covid infection in hospital is high. Especially where there are multiple patients there being treated for Covid . Most health care workers and the elderly are now being vaccinated so that risk is lessening. But yes asking people to observe basic instructions while case numbers are high after the ****efest which was Christmas is hardly surprising is it

Once case numbers are down and vaccination numbers are up - restrictions are to be rolled back. Its really not hard to understand

Case numbers are down since January and vaccination numbers are up, yet we're still under the same level of restrictions today as we were at the peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That is your own narrow perspective. For some of us our worlds are bigger than within 5 km from where we live. Consider that for a moment.

The world is a massive place. My world also extends beyond 5km from the house. It doesn't change the fact that I'm not locked up. I'm currently in lockdown. There's a difference. Consider that for a moment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

In an ideal world this will happen but here Ireland with muppets running the show I really cant see it. I hope that in 8 weeks time Im proven wrong!!!

• Advertisement

Well, and that is precisely where the weakness of this strategy is. Not only the number of variables increases massively by charging Bob and co. with responsibility for the virus management, it also assumes the Bob is consistently responsible enough to behave.

It is bound to fail as we see the evidence for it. While Bob bought into the strategy initially he can now clearly see that the cure is worse than the disease itself, and he will be less and less compliant going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement