Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Pitch passed inspection earlier this morning and game is on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Are there changes expected to be made?

Hopefully a win today which more or less gives us a place in the next round. Best of luck to everyone

One thing I'm scared off is Galway have a horrendous record down here and it has to end someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully a win today which more or less gives us a place in the next round. Best of luck to everyone

One thing I'm scared off is Galway have a horrendous record down here and it has to end someday

Or...

One thing in our favour is Galway have a horrendous record down here so hopefully that will continue!

• Advertisement

No programmes left farcical

Austin Barron and Billy Nolan start.

Mixed half with a few great scores

Aussie and barron a bit rusty

We never do things easy ha

Great to get the win and more importantly getting wins up in Walsh Park

Big tests to come next with 2 away trips to Tipp and Limerick

Through the QFs at least I think as we would have the head to head over Galway/Cork who play each other next weekend and most they would get would be 6pts

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

No programmes left farcical

A lot of people would say the same thing about you

• Advertisement

Got away with that one today I feel. Galway seemed to win most of the player battles especially in midfield and half back line. But for some poor Galway wides we'd have been done for. I did think Austin was good and paudie too, again full back line v strong. Some very poor distribution with w lot of ball sent straight to an unmarked galwayman. Worryingly, similar to westmeath match we weren't really winning any of the ruck type situations, and were easily pushed off the ball.

All that said, v good to get a second win in Walsh Park, needed that ahead of our games there this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

KevIRL wrote:
    Got away with that one today I feel. Galway seemed to win most of the player battles especially in midfield and half back line. But for some poor Galway wides we'd have been done for. I did think Austin was good and paudie too, again full back line v strong. Some very poor distribution with w lot of ball sent straight to an unmarked galwayman. Worryingly, similar to westmeath match we weren't really winning any of the ruck type situations, and were easily pushed off the ball.

Definitely rode our luck today . Galway are such an inconsistent team . They left that one behind for sure . The next 2 games will tell a lot . Barron doesn't look right at all . When paraic plays and takes the frees , Stephen Bennett is always anonymous in games. Good to see Austin doing what he is best at

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Agree with Kev. Happy with the win but still concerned with our forward play. Will we put up high enough scores to compete with the likes of Tipp and Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PF28 wrote: »

He might talk sh1te sometimes but at least he contributes to this forum which is more than can be said for you.

/ Goes to lie down after defending PTH2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

We never do things easy ha

Great to get the win and more importantly getting wins up in Walsh Park

Big tests to come next with 2 away trips to Tipp and Limerick

Through the QFs at least I think as we would have the head to head over Galway/Cork who play each other next weekend and most they would get would be 6pts

Could be a three way tie if Cork beat Galway and Tipp beat ourselves and Galway. If Galway beat Cork then we're guaranteed a quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Aussie still seems to be carrying a leg injury? Looked short on pace a few times which seemed to be due to something niggling at him. He didn’t lack for effort though and great to see him get on so much ball in the second half.

Calum Lyons is a superstar in the making and also good to see Moran looking sharp. I had him retired!

Forwards always our problem but Fagan played well I thought and Bennett always a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

The posts in Walsh Pk seem very low. They don’t make it easy for the umpires to adjudicate on points in hurling . Seemed like one dodgy decision in favour of Galway in 1st half. The posts must be the lowest of any inter county ground and a controversy waiting to happen when the big games come around later in the year.

Could be a three way tie if Cork beat Galway and Tipp beat ourselves and Galway. If Galway beat Cork then we're guaranteed a quarter.

Hopefully Galway prove a point at home next weekend against Cork

For us hopefully 2 good performances. These 2 games are the toughest challenge we are incourting so far this year

Progressing to the next round would be good as we get an extra workout against Wexford/Kilkenny or Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Great to come away with a buzz felt like the championship 'high' towards the end with the closeness of the score.. Great to come out of it with a win, considering Galway looked much quicker, and always came out of rucks with the ball. I thought we could've had two goals there, if there hadve been someone following in after the saved Bennett shots.

Nice to see Aussie, Jamie and Kevin starting. Silly yellow given to Jamie at the start.

Bring on Tipp next weekend!!

Dare I say anything about our friend Fergal? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

A bit of a strange one. A win but again not really convincing. As another poster said Galway traditionally don’t fancy it in Walsh Park, and they were missing Canning aswell. We’ll take the win but the remaining games will tell us where we’re really at

• Advertisement

A bit of a strange one. A win but again not really convincing. As another poster said Galway traditionally don’t fancy it in Walsh Park, and they were missing Canning aswell. We’ll take the win but the remaining games will tell us where we’re really at

We won't know where we're at until the championship. Get the team fully fit and working hard and we'll be happy coming into the Tipp game. It's good to get a couple of wins under the belt but really the league has once again defaulted to an experimental playground, complete shadow boxing for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 0-17 Galway 0-16

Waterford rode their luck when getting the two points at Walsh Park today. The first piece of good fortune was the absence of Joe Canning from the Galway team. If he had played, I am pretty certain the Westerners would have prevailed. As it was, they should have won the game anyway, but with the score so tight, their 13 wides to Waterford’s seven made a crucial difference.

Waterford were also fortunate that Pádraic Mannion, Galway’s right half back and one of their best players, had to go off injured halfway through the first half. Galway also sorely missed the absent David and Dáithí Burke, while on this showing they do not appear to have any new class forwards in their assembly line. At the same time, they were physically stronger than Waterford all over the field and were much better in the air in key positions.

Waterford started with three changes from the published line-out, with Billy Nolan, Austin Gleeson and Jamie Barron in for Stephen O’Keeffe, Iarlaith Daly and Jake Dillon. The Waterford line-out had an experimental look about it, with Conor Gleeson at centre-back, Pauric Mahony and Austin Gleeson at midfield and Jamie Barron at centre forward. It can be said that none of these experiments worked.

Galway play a short-passing game like Cork, and it is interesting that we have seen both of these teams and their systems off in the last three weeks, albeit with the assistance of lots of opposition wides in both cases. In the first quarter, Galway were making inroads down the centre, with Waterford missing the solid presence of Darragh Fives in the centre of the half back line. Not for the first time, Austin Gleeson was failing to make any impact in a free-ranging role, and not surprisingly, he was moved to centre back halfway through the first half where he succeeded in shoring things up to a significant extent.

It was point for point between the teams for most of the first half, but a late scoring surge by Waterford saw them go in at half-time three points ahead, 0-11 to 0-8, albeit having played with the assistance of the stiff breeze.

When Galway scored two quick points on the resumption, the home support got a little uneasy, but then Waterford took over the game for most of the third quarter, moving into a five-point lead (0-15 to 0-10) by the 50th minute. The key factors in this turnaround were the switch of Pauric Mahony and Jamie Barron to their more familiar positions of centre forward and midfield, respectively. Austin Gleeson also roared into the game, giving glimpses of how he can control a game from centre back.

While Pauric Mahony turned in a marvellous second half, in the fourth quarter both Jamie Barron (whose knee was heavily strapped up) and Austin Gleeson understandably ran out of steam. At the same time Galway raised their game considerably and took charge of affairs, led by Cathal Mannion from midfield. When they equalised in the 68th minute, it looked curtains for Waterford, but from the resultant puckout, substitute Peter Hogan got possession and landed a super score.

Galway, working the ball well in an attempt to create an opening against a tenacious Waterford defence, got one final chance to equalise but had the misfortune to hit the post (shades of Kieran Kingson’s late chance for Cork three weeks ago) with the Waterford back line working the rebounding ball to safety.

It should be noted that Waterford created several goal chances during the game but failed to put any of them away. Galway, by contrast, never once threatened the Waterford goal. This again is a good reflection on the Waterford full back line in which corner back Shane McNulty, thriving in the confidence shown in him by Liam Cahill, is having an excellent season. Galway’s full forward Conor Whelan was their most dangerous forward, hitting four points from play, but he was at his most dangerous when foraging further out the field.

While Billy Nolan had little enough to do in terms of dealing with incoming ball, some of his distribution, especially from long balls, was top-class. Calum Lyons started slowly, but put in a good second half, while Kevin Moran put in a very effective shift. While they scored some excellent points, some of them well worked, the Waterford forward line in general got little change out of the Galway rearguard. Apart from Pauric Mahony, who had a super game (especially when moved to centre forward) Waterford’s best forward was Jack Fagan, who moved up a notch or two here from previous displays.

Patrick Curran, who did some good work in the first half and opened the scoring with a marvellous point from the left sideline, was surprisingly substituted at half time which, to me, robbed Waterford of a cutting edge in the second half.

Waterford: Billy Nolan; Shane Fives, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty; Calum Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Kevin Moran (0-1); Austin Gleeson (0-1, free), Pauric Mahony (0-09, 0-5 frees, 0-1 65), Neil Montgomery, Jamie Barron (0-1), Jack Fagan (0-2); Jack Prendergast, Stephen Bennett (0-1), Patrick Curran (0-1).

Subs: Peter Hogan (0-1) for Curran (HT); MJ Sutton for Montgomery (63); Dessie Hutchinson for Bennett (68).

Galway: James Skehill; Darren Morrissey, Gearóid McInerney, Seán Loftus (0-1); Pádraic Mannion, Shane Cooney, Fintan Burke; Cathal Mannion (0-3), Adrian Tuohy; Niall Burke, Brian Concannon (0-2), Tadhg Haran (0-3, frees); Seán Bleahane (0-1), Conor Whelan (0-4), Conor Cooney.

Subs: Seán Linnane for Pádraic Mannion (18); Jason Flynn for Bleahane (44); Conor Walsh for Conor Cooney (50); Evan Niland (0-2, frees) for Haran (56); TJ Brennan for Fintan Burke (66).

Referee: James Owens (Wexford)

Apparently they were left over a good few boxes of programmes from the Cork game that they didn't bother printing as many for today's game

Cutbacks but annoying all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

A lot of people are full of **** which he isn't ,a very good contributor to this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Whats your problem?

@ PTH,your always good top keep any Waterford expectation in check over the years.

Don't change mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He might talk sh1te sometimes but at least he contributes to this forum which is more than can be said for you.

/ Goes to lie down after defending PTH2009

Let's keep the backhanded compliments/defence of fellow posters to a big fat zero.

Simply report the posts as you deem appropriate.

Thanks.

You would hope we get a result against Tipp or Galway beat Cork as that would mean were 100% into the QFs and we could shadow box with Limerick a bit in the last game

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

The posts in Walsh Pk seem very low. They don’t make it easy for the umpires to adjudicate on points in hurling . Seemed like one dodgy decision in favour of Galway in 1st half. The posts must be the lowest of any inter county ground and a controversy waiting to happen when the big games come around later in the year.

Yeah it's the best pitch in county for football but football games are as rare as hens teeth in Walsh Park last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

As far as I can make out if we get least one more point or if Galway beat Cork we're in the knockout stage. Anything else is a little more complicated.

• Advertisement

As far as I can make out if we get least one more point or if Galway beat Cork we're in the knockout stage. Anything else is a little more complicated.

Could go into a three way with us, cork and Tipp for 2nd/3rd place and score difference will decide it

Vs Westmeath
    Tipp won by 17
    Cork won by 4
    We won by 9

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Could go into a three way with us, cork and Tipp for 2nd/3rd place and score difference will decide it

Vs Westmeath
    Tipp won by 17
    Cork won by 4
    We won by 9

For that to happen, we would have to lose both our final matches to Tipp and Limerick and Tipp and Cork would have to beat Galway in Galway which is realistically possible.
    Our scoring difference would definitely be lower than Tipp in this case as it already is 5 worse and as we are just 8 better off than Cork at this stage, there's a fair chance it would be worse than theirs.
    We just have to get something out of either match.

I wouldn't be inspired by our performances so far in attack but the defense seems to be an area where there has been some improvements. There is competition for places and our strength in depth there may lead to some players playing further up the pitch.

McNulty has nailed down a corner back slot and Prunty is assured at full back. Options in the half back line look decent with Callum Lyons, Austin Gleeson and Iarlaith Daly being possibly the preferred 3 at present but then again, if fit, Darragh Fives is certainly an option with Lyons possibly going to corner back. Then we also have to welcome back TDB, another option in the halfback line and I think Moran's time as a midfielder is gone but perhaps an option a wing back. Conor Gleeson and Shane Fives will probably fight it out for the other corner-back spot if Lyons isn't moved back. Lyons offers the attacking option from wing back so possibly won't be.

At midfield we again have options. Barron is a definite starter and you have the possibility of Jack Prender, Conor Gleeson, Jake Dillon, Darragh Lyons, Kieran Bennett or even pushing the likes of Daly or TDB to midfield due to our strength in defense. I wouldn't play Austin Gleeson there despite his good form at midfield for Mount Sion. I just think the game bypasses him there and he struggles to get on enough ball or under puckouts.

My area for concern is upfront as we haven't had players perform to a level in this league that you would be guaranteeing them a jersey. Mahony at 11 and Bennett at 14 are certs but around them, we have had options but I fear that they are not at the level of Tipp, Cork, Limerick and Clare. Cahill seems to like hardworking, physical wing forwards and Fagan and Montgomery have been in favour as they fit the bill but they contribute little to the scoreboard. Kieran Bennett and Jack Prender are other options and it's real pity Kieran picked up the injury after his performance against Cork. Anyone who seen him in last year's western championship for Ballysaggart would have seen his potential as a scorer as he contributed to heavily.

Inside alongside Stephen Bennett, again nobody has stood up to say, "I have to start". We have seen glimpses from Curran and I think Dessie Hutchinson needs time to get to intercounty level and the pace of it but aside from Peter Hogan and Billy Power, we lack inside forwards even on the panel. I would have concerns of where Waterford will get the scores from going into the summer, particularly if Stephen Bennett is kept quiet.

This time last year there was a lot of positivity after coming through a weak 1B and then later overcoming a Clare team with no interest and a misfiring Galway side before getting a true reflection of where we were at against Limerick in Croker.

I fear that these wins are again disguising our true form and level but to Cahill's credit, there are only positive murmurings from the camp this year and Waterford now seem to be a much harder working outfit with the clintal he has picked. There has to significant improvement and consistency upfront if Waterford are to reach the level of our counterparts in Munster this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

I thought Sunday was a workman's performance, nothing flash just a desire to work hard. Some of the lads returning did look rusty and ran out of legs towards the end. While Galway missed 12 scoring chances, we left behind at least 1 goal possibly a second when monty was pulled down on the way through. We also hit some very poor wides from the bank side in 2nd half. All in all you would have to be happy with work ethic. Anything from last 2 games and we have at least another game which will be great for the squad. A little worried about inside forward line but it is early days yet. Both teams were credited with points that were as wide as a barn door. Fergal Horgan should have done better. While I thought James Owens pulled up too much, judging by the other games he seems to have done a lot better than the rest of refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Parishman wrote: »
    we left behind at least 1 goal possibly a second when monty was pulled down on the way through.

Monty was also pulled down on the way through against Cork. And some people would argue that hurling doesn't have a problem with cynical fouling. They mustn't have ever seen Kilkenny in action. The proposed black card would quickly put an end to this kind of foul. Alternatively, I like the suggestion that a cynical foul anywhere inside the 20 metre line should be penalised with a penalty shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

No black card, 20m penalty is a better option

Limerick game officially set for Sat 7th March at 7pm in the Gaelic Grounds

QFs fixed for the weekend after I imagine. If we do qualify it will be home game for us if against Clare/Wexford or Kilkenny and a coin toss for venue if against Dublin

Be a good crowd in Walsh Park if its Wexford or kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Limerick game officially set for Sat 7th March at 7pm in the Gaelic Grounds

QFs fixed for the weekend after I imagine. If we do qualify it will be home game for us if against Clare/Wexford or Kilkenny and a coin toss for venue if against Dublin

Be a good crowd in Walsh Park if its Wexford or kilkenny

A game v Wexford in Walsh Park would be great. Be something different.

Slim chances I'd say but never know

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/309092

Very misleading for the author to say Shanahan's confident they'll get back in when he actually said "you never know they might".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Waterford game live on TG4 this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Slim chances I'd say but never know

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/309092

Shanahan embarrassing himself. Trying to coerce Cahill into putting his own brother back on the panel. His comments on Maurice are laughable. Just because Connors and himself were deemed undroppable under McGrath doesn't mean they deserve to be on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Shanahan embarrassing himself. Trying to coerce Cahill into putting his own brother back on the panel. His comments on Maurice are laughable. Just because Connors and himself were deemed undroppable under McGrath doesn't mean they deserve to be on the panel.
    Whatever Dan says .I personally was dissapointed to see Maurice dropped .he's a great bit of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

How is it embarrassing? What happens in these interviews is the reporter asks "do you think maurice and Connors should be back on the panel"? Dan responds by saying that Cahill said (correctly) that if players perform with their clubs the panel remains open. He adds that Maurice got married and he's working hard with the club. Perhaps you can dispute this?

And also could you advise when under Derek McGrath that Connors and Shanahan should have been dropped?

Dan is rightly pointing out that Cahill has said the door is open to anyone that plays well in the club championship. He sees Maurice back at his club bursting his b****cks to get back into that reckoning. No doubt Noelie is the same.
    If Cahill has dropped the lads for personal reasons then he should at least be honest about it and not dangle the carrot of a potential call-up in front of them if he doesn't mean it. Dan is right to call this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dan is rightly pointing out that Cahill has said the door is open to anyone that plays well in the club championship. He sees Maurice back at his club bursting his b****cks to get back into that reckoning. No doubt Noelie is the same.
    If Cahill has dropped the lads for personal reasons then he should at least be honest about it and not dangle the carrot of a potential call-up in front of them if he doesn't mean it. Dan is right to call this out.

Cahill didnt drop anyone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

A team was named at 9pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497337223356419

But this was tweeted at 9:01pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497414297886722

I'm confused by the wording though whether this includes the Tipp game or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

A team was named at 9pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497337223356419

But this was tweeted at 9:01pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497414297886722

Football county league matches due to be played this weekend is what it’s referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Football county league matches due to be played this weekend is what it’s referring to

Ah makes sense. Maybe I'm just slow haha

Mix of newcomers and experience in the team for Sunday. Hopefully we really go for it and give a good account of ourselves

Win or draw and were guaranteed more league hurling going into our last game. Unsure will the Galway vs Cork game be on but if it is we want a Galway win

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Cahill didnt drop anyone :confused:
    You know exactly what I mean. they were on the panel for 11 years and Suddenly not on it this year. They were dropped.

What’s the thoughts on Shane Ryan lads? Bit of a late bloomer didn’t really feature much in underage teams

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement