Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

blueflame wrote: »
    It is notable how many posters are giving Derek plaudits looming at his record saying that the players we have are limited and that Derek over achieved with them and are saying Fanning is not up to it . Before casting such judgements on players and current management look at Derek’s first year in charge and see what he achieved in his first year ! Humiliation, relegation and an early exit . And before anyone says he took over a team in trouble look again at our league and championship performance the year before he took over - safely stayed in a very competitive first division and beaten in extra time by Kilkenny - a bit of balance and fair analysis would not go astray

They were unlucky not beat Cork the first day though despite the 14 point hammering the second day. They lost to Wexford by 3 points, missing a penalty (and without Jamie Barron, Philip Mahony and Maurice Shanahan who all had big roles the following year).

Took a few hammerings in the league but also beat Dublin and Galway...the other two teams to finish on 4 points that year. A little bit unlucky I felt in that regard too.

It was a poor year no question, and there was even one prominent poster here saying he'd never go to a Waterford game again as long as we persisted with a 1 man full forward line. But to call it humiliation, equating it with what we've seen in the last two games in particular...wouldn't agree with that analysis anyway.

Personally, don't think Fanning is up to it and there are candidates that have done a lot more at club level at least in Waterford I would have favoured before the rabbit was pulled out of the hat by the CB. If he does end up staying, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong. Be surprised if he does stay though to be honest, maybe if they get a decent result tomorrow.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Serious statement to drop some of the senior members of the team that would be viewed as undroppable

Not really when you're already out of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceannmara

Am I right in thinking there is no subs list available yet? Safe journey to all who travel down here tomorrow and hopefully we'll both be happy with our teams when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,075 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

team named has nothing too lose and hope they give it there all. Cork will be very strong at home and will smell blood if given the chance

First championship match im missing since Westmeath 2013 but for a good reason and Slane will be fun :D:D. Hope a decent Waterford crowd travel

Dissapointed too hear Fanning staying on for 2020 after this 'clear the air meeting'. Think we may see a lot of drop outs next season

Best of the luck too both teams tomrrow and of course the Footballers who are in action Sunday away too Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    team named has nothing too lose and hope they give it there all. Cork will be very strong at home and will smell blood if given the chance

First championship match im missing since Westmeath 2013 but for a good reason and Slane will be fun :D:D. Hope a decent Waterford crowd travel

Dissapointed too hear Fanning staying on for 2020 after this 'clear the air meeting'. Think we may see a lot of drop outs next season

Best of the luck too both teams tomrrow and of course the Footballers who are in action Sunday away too Westmeath

There was definitely no clear the air meeting Tuesday anyway so that’s lies, they were only back training Wednesday evening.
    If Fanning digs his heals in and stays on, I fear that there will be a major exodus or a strike going forward but he signed on for a 2 year term and as others mentioned, McGrath had a poor first year and it turned it around as the years progressed to reach an All-Ireland final so the county board will use that as justification to not change. The tactics, man management and decision making on the line will have to drastically improve going forward.
    Hopefully there will be a major improvement tomorrow evening, After being at every game, I won’t be traveling after last Sunday, had accommodation booked to enjoy the weekend in cork but cancelled, couldn’t justify the cost for a nothing final game for the second year in a row. The management and players were poor last week, genuinely feel most left themselves and the supporters down and I only felt like that once before and that was walking out of Ennis in 2008. Still, best of luck, I shall be watching from home and hopefully regret my decision not to go.
    And Best of luck to the footballers in Westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

If the minors win tomorrow they’ll be on three points and dependent on results going our way next week? Still a chance of third spot if tomorrow is a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If the minors win tomorrow they’ll be on three points and dependent on results going our way next week? Still a chance of third spot if tomorrow is a win?

Think only yjr top two progress at minor. Certainly was the case last year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

No they’re definitely out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

There was definitely no clear the air meeting Tuesday anyway so that’s lies, they were only back training Wednesday evening.
    If Fanning digs his heals in and stays on, I fear that there will be a major exodus or a strike going forward but he signed on for a 2 year term and as others mentioned, McGrath had a poor first year and it turned it around as the years progressed to reach an All-Ireland final so the county board will use that as justification to not change. The tactics, man management and decision making on the line will have to drastically improve going forward.
    Hopefully there will be a major improvement tomorrow evening, After being at every game, I won’t be traveling after last Sunday, had accommodation booked to enjoy the weekend in cork but cancelled, couldn’t justify the cost for a nothing final game for the second year in a row. The management and players were poor last week, genuinely feel most left themselves and the supporters down and I only felt like that once before and that was walking out of Ennis in 2008. Still, best of luck, I shall be watching from home and hopefully regret my decision not to go.

There was a meeting in carriganore on tuesday in which not one single player spoke at all so i couldnt call it clear the air talks it lasted about 18 mins.
    They trained last night then in walsh park and the team was announced afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

They only trained Thursday, meeting Tuesday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

blueflame wrote: »
    Dropped or refused to play - will be interested to see the bench ��

Looks like Fanning has at last taken on Derek's DLS PPU. Probably still not enough to save him at this stage but at least none of those lightweights should get the jersey again after their strike last Sunday. Barron can count himself lucky also to keep his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

It's a funny old thing knowing that an upcoming championship match is definitely our last game of the season. Traditionally the only people who could ever say that with certainty were the All-Ireland finalists.

Best of luck to the young team starting today, I hope they give a decent performance and shine some light on the dark times we are currently in.

And best of luck to the minors too, they've been somewhat unlucky dropping just short of the mark on a couple of occasions. I feel they have a win in them, so hopefully they can do it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

Fanning is right to make a few changes for today. No one should be guaranteed their place on the team based on their past record. I don't think anyone who was dropped can have much complaint after last Sunday's debacle. All we can ask is players give 100%. It is unlikely to get us a result v Cork but as least finish the season with a bit of pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

A couple of interesting points from team selection;

1. The players dropped are those who would have been regarded as staunch McGrath supporters and some if not all of them simply downed tools last Sunday. Whatever anyone thinks about Fanning as a manager, I admire his courage in enforcing the principle that not giving 100% for the jersey is not acceptable regardless of who is in charge. It will be interesting to see how supporters react to those dropped.

2. Open to correction but am counting 10 players from 2016 u21 panel starting (Nolan, two Lyons, Prunty, C. Gleeson, two Bennetts, Prendergast, Kearney and Hogan) and probably more on the bench. This is extraordinary. Really hope these guys can have a good rattle off this game and give us something to cheer with an eye to the future.

Looking forward to cheering these guys on this evening and I really hope that supporters who were thinking of staying away will travel.

Nolan wasn't able to play as was still a minor, Jack Prender the same. Not sure what age Calum Lyons is but don't recall him being on that panel either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

1. The players dropped are those who would have been regarded as staunch McGrath supporters and some if not all of them simply downed tools last Sunday. Whatever anyone thinks about Fanning as a manager, I admire his courage in enforcing the principle that not giving 100% for the jersey is not acceptable regardless of who is in charge. It will be interesting to see how supporters react to those dropped.

==================================================

Yes, interesting point .... I have not been impressed with management to date but fair play for the making wholesale changes for tonights team (not many 'city' players starting !).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

==================================================

Yes, interesting point .... I have not been impressed with management to date but fair play for the making wholesale changes for tonights team (not many 'city' players starting !).

Maybe it's just me but I don't really see what's so courageous about changing up a team for a dead rubber of a game. If he did it last week for the Limerick game after the Tipp performance sure but I don't see it for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Any subs named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Nolan wasn't able to play as was still a minor, Jack Prender the same. Not sure what age Calum Lyons is but don't recall him being on that panel either?

Thanks for correcting. Those three were on the u21 team the following year in 2017. Still a huge amount of players to pull from a group over 2 years. Jordan Henley, Colm Roche and DJ Foran could be on the bench tonight also and of course Aussie is MIA.

Thanks for correcting. Those three were on the u21 team the following year in 2017. Still a huge amount of players to pull from a group over 2 years. Jordan Henley, Colm Roche and DJ Foran could be on the bench tonight also and of course Aussie is MIA.

Yeah, wonder is it an over reliance all things considered. Bear in mind 9 of them featured the first day against Clare, even more in the last two games I think.

Feel like Tom Devines loss was of a much greater magnitude than maybe we would have thought. Exactly the kind of player Waterford simply could not afford to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Foran is injured out for 3 month's

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

There was a meeting in carriganore on tuesday in which not one single player spoke at all so i couldnt call it clear the air talks it lasted about 18 mins.
    They trained last night then in walsh park and the team was announced afterwards.

Are you sure it was 18 minutes?..I heard it was only 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Cork man here lads, if ye are planning on driving as close to the stadium as possible , bear in mind that there is a 'SeaFest' going on on the quays closest to the stadium at the moment , traffic down to one lane on the stadium side of the quays. Also the Live At The Marquee concerts begin tonight next to Pairc Ui Chaoimh so it's be even harder to find parking than usual down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

gobo99 wrote: »
    Any subs named?

Programme lists the usual panel except Paudie who is suspended. Colm Roche listed.

Who is Captain tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Kerry beaten by 8 points by laois in tralee today so looking unlikely we will end up having to play them in any play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 out west 12

Who is Captain tonight?

Tadhg is Capt today

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Pitiful Waterford crowd here, which isn't unexpected I suppose. I can hardly fault people for staying away but I didn't expect the turnout to be this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

puzl wrote: »
    Pitiful Waterford crowd here, which isn't unexpected I suppose. I can hardly fault people for staying away but I didn't expect the turnout to be this bad.

Love Island on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Love Island on..

It's not on Saturday nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement